THE BROWNS BOARD

The Expandables

The Gipper

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't think so.  Plus, Portland doesn't deserve shit.  

I don't know about that.   Portland is one of the faster growing regions in the country.  They support the Blazers pretty well.  And it is all about the Benjamins. 

They will NOT get an NFL team because the Seattle owner....which is the Paul Allen Trust, directed by his sister, is also the Blazers owner, and they consider  Portland "Seahawk territory"...just like Jerry Jones considers  San Antonio and Austin to be Cowboy territory...and that is why that city could not get an NFL team. 

But...baseball for either of them....if that league eventually decides to expand....more of a possibility.  Seattle Mariners do not, I believe have a stranglehold on the Portland market the way the Seahawks football team does. 

14 hours ago, Browns149 said:

I would also like to see the Cavs traded for the Blue Jackets. To me NHL is a FAR FAR better product then the NBA

What is stopping you from supporting the BJs....going to games in Columbus?  I see that you are in  New Haven WVa. And looking at map of that...you are like equidistant from  Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati.  You could pretty easily make it to Columbus games which is only about 100 miles for you.  You are closer than I am here in Wadsworth....which is about 112 miles from C-bus.  I suppose you moved there from NEO?

I suppose if I were to be a fan of an NHL team it would be the CBJs.....but I really have not gotten into them.  

I think you have to grow up with a team,  which is probably why I am a much bigger  Tribe/Browns fan than Cavs fan.....the Cavs were not around when I was growing up.  They were only formed when I was like a senior in HS.   I am still a fan of theirs, don't get me wrong...but the heart strings are still pulled far more by the teams you followed when really young. 

Perhaps I should do the same thing for  the MLS.  Here are the top largest markets which do not have nor are slated to have an MLS expansion team in the near future:

1.  Tampa Bay    *but note what I say in the second post re the  Tampa/Orlando market areas

2. Phoenix

3. Detroit

4. Cleveland

5. Pittsburgh

6. Raleigh/Durham

7. San Diego

8.  Hartford

9. Milwaukee

10.  Las Vegas

11. Jacksonville.

12. Virginia Beach

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What is stopping you from supporting the BJs....going to games in Columbus?  I see that you are in  New Haven WVa. And looking at map of that...you are like equidistant from  Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati.  You could pretty easily make it to Columbus games which is only about 100 miles for you.  You are closer than I am here in Wadsworth....which is about 112 miles from C-bus.  I suppose you moved there from NEO?

I suppose if I were to be a fan of an NHL team it would be the CBJs.....but I really have not gotten into them.  

I think you have to grow up with a team,  which is probably why I am a much bigger  Tribe/Browns fan than Cavs fan.....the Cavs were not around when I was growing up.  They were only formed when I was like a senior in HS.   I am still a fan of theirs, don't get me wrong...but the heart strings are still pulled far more by the teams you followed when really young. 

I just don’t like the NBA product. The NHL is just a better watch and way more action

I did move from NE Ohio. I grew up rooting for the Browns and Indians. The Cavs started the year I was born. I was just never into basketball  

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

It's a lot closer.  It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus.  Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.

Which is why it seemed to be a bit of a head scratcher for the MLS to have put a team in  Cincy...when they already had a somewhat struggling franchise in Columbus.  (they were going to move until Haslam stepped in to purchase them and keep them there). 

1 minute ago, Browns149 said:

I just don’t like the NBA product. The NHL is just a better watch and way more action

I did move from NE Ohio. I grew up rooting for the Browns and Indians. The Cavs started the year I was born. I was just never into basketball  

OK, but, for your personal self interest....being now much closer to Columbus and liking hockey...why would you not be glad about having a hockey team fairly nearby?   

I mean, I understand the preference for having a team in your home town rather than in another city.    I personally think that Columbus is an overgrown Cow-town which grew mainly out of just having the state government bureaucracy located there (and being where insurance companies located...another unproductive industry that located there just so they could lobby the government in their favor)...and because of pure annexation.*   But, I am an Ohio/Ohio State fan, so guess I can justify possibly being a fan of a team there in a sport where there is none here in the NEOpolitan since I do root for the Buckeyes. 

*  Columbus has annexed so much of the territory that it is now like 281 square miles of territory.   Compare to Cleveland and Cincinnati which are each only like 77 square miles. (so area wise, Columbus is over 3 times the size of Cleveland).  Cleveland just needs to merge with surrounding suburbs to triple its size to be equal in size to C-bus.  And imagine the amount of population that would be. 

Columbus is also in more than 1 county. It’s a huge city 

I grew up rooting for the New York Rangers. We got cable TV when I was 12 and the Rangers games were all on MSG network. So that’s how I became such a big NHL fan

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

I grew up rooting for the New York Rangers. We got cable TV when I was 12 and the Rangers games were all on MSG network. So that’s how I became such a big NHL fan

Having just come back from San Antonio, I discovered that it is an area of  465 sq. Miles.    That is 6 times the size of Cleveland. 

30 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

A state in the middle of Ohio kind of like Texas is a country in the lower USA.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No...just no. 

Well I used to think that I think the Indians will eventually move out of town, but after your well thought out retort, I've changed my mind. Obviously they will never leave Cleveland. 😁

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well I used to think that I think the Indians will eventually move out of town, but after your well thought out retort, I've changed my mind. Obviously they will never leave Cleveland. 😁

Trust me. It was well thought out   

• Haha 1

Just to complete some data on the above....as it pertains to the NFL  only;   Here are the Top 50 Metropolitan areas in the USA where the ones in Black Bold have an NFL team:

1. New York

2. Los Angeles

3. Chicago

4. Washington/Baltimore

5. San Fran/Oak/San Jose

6. Boston

7. Dallas/Ft. Worth

8. Houston

9. Philly

10. Miami

11. Atlanta

12. Detroit

13. Phoenix

14. Seattle

15. Orlando

16. Minneapolis/St. Paul

17. Denver

18.  Cleveland

19. San Diego

20.  Tampa/St. Pete

21. Portland OR

22. St. Louis

23. Charlotte

24. Salt Lake City

25. Sacramento

26. Pittsburgh

27. San Antonio

28. Columbus

29. Kansas City

30. Indianapolis

31. Las Vegas

32. Cincinnati

33. Raleigh

34. Nashville

35.Milwaukee

36. Virginia Beach/Norfolk

37. Greensboro NC

38. Jacksonville

39. New Orleans

40. Louisville

41. Oklahoma City

42. Greenville/Spartanburg SC

43. Grand Rapids Mich

44. Hartford

45. Memphis

46. Birmingham  Ala.

47. Fresno

48. Harrisburg

49. Buffalo

50.  Fresno

103.  Green Bay

The Ones in Green have an NBA team...but no other sport.  The ones in Red have  MLB, or MLB and NBA, but no NFL.  Ones in Blue have an NHL team, but no other sport.  Purple has  baseball and hockey but no NFL or NBA.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Just to complete some data on the above....as it pertains to the NFL  only;   Here are the Top 50 Metropolitan areas in the USA where the ones in Bold have an NFL team:

The Ones in Green have an NBA team...but no other sport.  The ones in red have  MLB, or MLB and NBA, but no NFL.  Ones in Blue have an NHL team, but no other sport.  Purple has  baseball and hockey but no NFL or NBA.

Nice job, I see you're enjoying retirement.  So are you doing any legal stuff in your spare time?

I haven't done any real  tax work or financial advice at all since 2016.  I used to do a lot more most pro bono but since the wife finished working in 2017 I've really kicked back.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Nice job, I see you're enjoying retirement.  So are you doing any legal stuff in your spare time?

I haven't done any real  tax work or financial advice at all since 2016.  I used to do a lot more most pro bono but since the wife finished working in 2017 I've really kicked back.

I am not retired.  Semi-retired, perhaps.  I still hold court every 2 weeks.  I still have to meet with clients a couple of times a week and do work on cases in between.  I have to meet a client tomorrow afternoon. .  But, yes, I was able to arrange things like  spending  2.5 weeks in Texas for my daughter's wedding.