THE BROWNS BOARD

Home schooling exploding over school shutdowns

calfoxwc

too many public school systems are poor, and liberally run. Even if schools do open, there are a lot of parents who don't want their kids

going to the public schools and maybe getting covid.

It's a chinese made world MESS.

and they lied about it.

the only reason to lie, is because they WANTED it to go all over.

Great for home schooling. Great for charter schools, and Christian schools.

The politicization of too many public school districts is causing a Real American backlash.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/homeschool-enrollment-booms-as-uncertainty-over-school-reopening-leads-more-parents-to-withdraw-their-children-from-public-schools

11 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

What % of parents in the US could teach their kid physics?

Could you teach your kid how to properly install a complete electrical system in a building?

Without physics there would be no physicists. Without electrical contractors there would be no buildings, just elaborate forts. 

To think one is better than the other is to be uneducated, and if someone spent 4 years and over 100K to truly believe that, then it was they who were taught wrongly. 

13 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Could you teach your kid how to properly install a complete electrical system in a building?

Without physics there would be no physicists. Without electrical contractors there would be no buildings, just elaborate forts. 

To think one is better than the other is to be uneducated, and if someone spent 4 years and over 100K to truly believe that, then it was they who were taught wrongly. 

Woah woah woah. Slow down D.

The point I was making was that there's a hard cap on the teaching level / ability of most/many parents trying to homeschool. 

Nothing in that post had anything to do with knocking skilled trades. My time in manufacturing has allowed me to work closely with many and I know they can be very talented. I've said many times there's a shortage and skilled trades should be suggested more in high school as a career choice. I don't think a lot of kids know you can make a very nice living that way. 

We good?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

The point I was making was that there's a hard cap on the teaching level / ability of most/many parents trying to homeschool. 

Nothing in that post had anything to do with knocking skilled trades. My time in manufacturing has allowed me to work closely with many and I know they can be very talented. I've said many times there's a shortage and skilled trades should be suggested more in high school as a career choice. I don't think a lot of kids know you can make a very nice living that way. 

We good?

I agree...trades are gold mines if you dont mind a little dirt on your hands.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

We good?

We're always good as I never take anything personally. I just read it differently while skimming was all. 

In all seriousness (a rarity for me I know), if I had a young 5th grader that I had to home school today, that poor little dude or chick would not be finishing in the top of their class. I'm so glad my daughter got my wife's smarts and looks, and my sense of humor and physical talent, because had it have been the other way around, that bumbling Frankenstein like creature would scare the shit out of me. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, LBC mike said:

what % of school teachers can teach physics?

Ah whatever % have gone through all the requirements to teach it in their individual states. Strange that most states have that ridiculous requirement. 

That rules out the stable genius who thinks he can because he has a qualified relative.🤴

liberal school districts don't teach physics anyways - they teach gay stuff, hate Pres Trump stuff, despise America stuff,

despise Israel stuff, trans stuff, and irresponsible sex stuff, and abortion is good stuff.

Parents would do a hell of a lot better job teaching physics.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

liberal school districts don't teach physics anyways - they teach gay stuff, hate Pres Trump stuff, despise America stuff,

despise Israel stuff, trans stuff, and irresponsible sex stuff, and abortion is good stuff.

Parents would do a hell of a lot better job teaching physics.

You're a moron 

First of all I think aptitude and not degree makes a teacher a good teacher.

Second I think anybody of average intelligence could learn to teach a particular class in a relatively short amount of time.

Third with a set curriculum and lesson plan all you need to know is a little bit more than the kid.

4th I'm sure homeschooling works fine in a small amount of situations.

5th the social isolation I believe will fuck kids up more the the  lack of understanding of the Sciences or English literature in the long run.

And 6th, last but not least, going back to the first statement I don't think there are too many stay-at-home moms out there who actually have the aptitude. It takes a shitload more than sitting on the couch with your kid watching Springer and answering when the kid asks "Mommy what's a whore?"  With "A whore is like Darlene over to the trailer park where your father says he's been working"

WSS

WSS

• Haha 2

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 11:56 PM, MLD Woody said:

What % of parents in the US could teach their kid physics?

They don't really have to.

With what is available, the parents only involvement would be guidance and supervision.

How Should You Learn Physics?

There are lots of ways for a homeschooler to learn physics. The first method is the traditional homeschool way - buy a physics home-study course, complete with textbook and any associated workbooks, test books, answer keys, and lab materials. Then take the course self-study under the guidance of Mom or Dad.

Courses are available for homeschoolers from Alpha Omega Publishers, A Beka Book, BJU Press, Keystone National High School, Saxon Publishers, and many others. Some of these have labs; for others, you will have to buy a kit separately. You can also get textbooks from secular publishers. A word of caution: Try to get a teacher's manual with an answer key and solutions to the problems. The alternative is that the home teacher has to work out all the problems himself and compare answers with the student, and not many homeschool teachers have the time to do this.

Most publishers who are used to dealing with homeschoolers will sell you a teacher's manual. Getting a teacher's manual for a public school high-school text may be more difficult. The last we heard, Ebay and Amazon will not sell teacher's manuals. HSLDA has a members-only forum for buying and selling textbooks, including teacher's editions.

Online courses are available to teach AP physics. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Independent Study High School (UNL-ISHS), for example, has Physics 1 and Physics 2 courses. University of Missouri-Columbia also has online physics courses. To find these and others, use the search arguments "online high school" and "physics" on your favorite search engine.

A third option is software home study courses. One example of this is Digital Interactive Video Education.

https://www.home-school.com/Articles/teaching-physics-at-home.php

• Thanks 1

CDC issues school reopening guidelines and they are absolutely unrealistic.  "Students should wear face masks, wash their hands frequently and social distance, according to the CDC" 

Now exactly how will any teacher of 1st thru 8th graders be able to control masking and social distancing in a classroom of 30 students where the desks are right next to one another in a 30 X30 ft space? And who will monitor the frequent hand washing and where can they do it without retouching the same spots on the bathroom doors where sinks are located as they go back out after washing? Who insures that all those hands were actually washed correctly and also enforces social distancing in there at the same time?

Ridiculous guidelines to support a lame brained idea in high COVID communities. More to add to the disaster already underway.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-updates-cdc-releases-new-guidelines-on-quarantining-schools-reopening-trump-cancels-jacksonville-portion-of-gop-convention/ar-BB178Atg

EDIT: BTW have any of you actually been in a school recently when the bell rings to change classes or go to lunch/recess/etc. It's like Broadway before COVID. No elbow room let alone any 6 ft.

How much of what you grasp or learn is really on the teacher though?

I don't know about anyone else, but I still had to take the damn physics book home.

Home is where I learned physics.

Based on whats available today, I can see how the sciences can be learned at home.

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You're a moron 

you don't have Hoorta bigbird to try to help you out anymore - I think he realized

the problem. It's you.200.gif

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

CDC issues school reopening guidelines and they are absolutely unrealistic.  "Students should wear face masks, wash their hands frequently and social distance, according to the CDC" 

Now exactly how will any teacher of 1st thru 8th graders be able to control masking and social distancing in a classroom of 30 students where the desks are right next to one another in a 30 X30 ft space? And who will monitor the frequent hand washing and where can they do it without retouching the same spots on the bathroom doors where sinks are located as they go back out after washing? Who insures that all those hands were actually washed correctly and also enforces social distancing in there at the same time?

Ridiculous guidelines to support a lame brained idea in high COVID communities. More to add to the disaster already underway.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-updates-cdc-releases-new-guidelines-on-quarantining-schools-reopening-trump-cancels-jacksonville-portion-of-gop-convention/ar-BB178Atg

EDIT: BTW have any of you actually been in a school recently when the bell rings to change classes or go to lunch/recess/etc. It's like Broadway before COVID. No elbow room let alone any 6 ft.

Between periods in my high school, trying to go to your next class, was a nightmare. I feel like a lot of high schools are overcrowded. Gets easier when you're a Sr and bigger than everybody at least.

I believe in the elementary schools around here they are going to just keep the students on the same class room and have the teachers rotate, which makes a lot of sense. 

5 hours ago, Gorka said:

They don't really have to.

With what is available, the parents only involvement would be guidance and supervision.

How Should You Learn Physics?

There are lots of ways for a homeschooler to learn physics. The first method is the traditional homeschool way - buy a physics home-study course, complete with textbook and any associated workbooks, test books, answer keys, and lab materials. Then take the course self-study under the guidance of Mom or Dad.

Courses are available for homeschoolers from Alpha Omega Publishers, A Beka Book, BJU Press, Keystone National High School, Saxon Publishers, and many others. Some of these have labs; for others, you will have to buy a kit separately. You can also get textbooks from secular publishers. A word of caution: Try to get a teacher's manual with an answer key and solutions to the problems. The alternative is that the home teacher has to work out all the problems himself and compare answers with the student, and not many homeschool teachers have the time to do this.

Most publishers who are used to dealing with homeschoolers will sell you a teacher's manual. Getting a teacher's manual for a public school high-school text may be more difficult. The last we heard, Ebay and Amazon will not sell teacher's manuals. HSLDA has a members-only forum for buying and selling textbooks, including teacher's editions.

Online courses are available to teach AP physics. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Independent Study High School (UNL-ISHS), for example, has Physics 1 and Physics 2 courses. University of Missouri-Columbia also has online physics courses. To find these and others, use the search arguments "online high school" and "physics" on your favorite search engine.

A third option is software home study courses. One example of this is Digital Interactive Video Education.

https://www.home-school.com/Articles/teaching-physics-at-home.php

"Then take the course self-study under the guidance of Mom or Dad" ---- both of whom don't even understand fractions ....

"You can also get textbooks from secular publishers" ----  aaahhh, there it is. Good old homeschooling. I don't know what they're talking about though. Everyone knows the best science books are religious ones...

"The alternative is that the home teacher has to work out all of the problems himselfand compare answers with the student, and not many homeschool teachers have time to do this" ---- yes, exactly, that is part of the point. And even if they had time, do they actually have the ability to do it?

At the end of the day, if the student has a question or needs something explained, and they're not getting it from the book or a video, that is where a teacher comes in. A teacher with a grasp of the subject that can figure out how best to explain it to the student. That is lacking in the majority of homeschool environments. 

I imagine you can learn basic english, history, etc in a homeschool environment. Where I see the biggest gap is in advanced subjects. If a student has that ability they're going to hit a ceiling based on how well they can be taught.

6 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

"Then take the course self-study under the guidance of Mom or Dad" ---- both of whom don't even understand fractions ....

"You can also get textbooks from secular publishers" ----  aaahhh, there it is. Good old homeschooling. I don't know what they're talking about though. Everyone knows the best science books are religious ones...

"The alternative is that the home teacher has to work out all of the problems himselfand compare answers with the student, and not many homeschool teachers have time to do this" ---- yes, exactly, that is part of the point. And even if they had time, do they actually have the ability to do it?

At the end of the day, if the student has a question or needs something explained, and they're not getting it from the book or a video, that is where a teacher comes in. A teacher with a grasp of the subject that can figure out how best to explain it to the student. That is lacking in the majority of homeschool environments. 

I imagine you can learn basic english, history, etc in a homeschool environment. Where I see the biggest gap is in advanced subjects. If a student has that ability they're going to hit a ceiling based on how well they can be taught.

Advanced subjects OK, but not every kid wants to be an engineer or scientist.

If a parent doesn't have the time to home school, then they shouldn't. I'm sure "do I have the time" is the first thing parents ask themselves before making the decision to homeschool.

Yes, I believe parents with time also have the ability, but you have to take into consideration the grade level.  I suspect K thru 6 or 8 a reasonably intelligent parent could handle. You seem to be implying that all parents that want to homeschool are uneducated. Why?

You're marginalizing the immense amount of knowledge available online today. Forget about the home schooling resources I linked. Google any question science related. For grins I Googled "Bernoulli's Principle" and got a boatlosd of info, including YOUTUBE videos.. Don't think I would have needed a teacher to answer my question had the internet been available in my day.

Two questions for you. Accredited universities offer degrees online. Are you opposed to that as well?  Now, if those courses have interaction with teachers then I retract the question

Did you learn more from a teacher or did you learn more by taking your book home and study it?