THE BROWNS BOARD

PFF Summer 2020 - All The Links

Unsympathetic

2 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Steelers do NOT have the 11th best LB core. 

the browns DO have one of the worst though. Mack Wilson sucked last year, I’m extremely worried about the defense 

75% of the starting LBs for Pitt are legit probowl contenders: Watt, Bush and Dupree. 

Browns  LBs ranked  31st.....mainly because we are relying on all young, unproven players.   Wilson, Takitaki and Phillips.  I thought they were harsh on Wilson....8th worst in the NFL last year?    Did he really perform that badly?   I didn't see it as all that bad.  But I can't really object to the Browns  #31 rating...

And the other thing....a couple of you state how the Steelers LB corps is nowhere near the #11 rank.    I agree.....IF they are not including TJ Watt.

I have been of the opinion that TJ Watt  should be a part of their LB corps, giving that group a  higher ranking.   It is the DL.....placed at #1  that I scratch my head at.    They seem to be saying that the Steelers start   3 DLs:    Watt, Dupree, Heyward.  

I would put Watt in at OLB, where in doing so their DL would drop down around or below the Browns DL ranking at #12......but elevate the LB rating. 

So...which is it?

2 minutes ago, Icecube said:

75% of the starting LBs for Pitt are legit probowl contenders: Watt, Bush and Dupree. 

But they do not have  Watt listed as LB....nor Dupree. They are listed as DLs. 

I mean I guess...does it sort of matter?    That is why you have this "Edge"   position designation. 

Maybe we should begin looking at  football defensive positioning differently.   Instead of   DL and LB......maybe we should have people listed as "Edge"  or "Interior".    What have been DEs and OLBs are Edge....as they seem so very interchangeable.  And DTs and  MLBs as Interior. 

Here is the Steelers front 7 depth chart....from the Steelers.com website:

Position First Second Third Fourth Fifth
DT Cameron Heyward Isaiah Buggs      
NT   Dan McCullers      
DE Tyson Alualu        
LOLB T.J. Watt        
LILB   Devin Bush      
RILB Vince Williams   Robert Spillane    
ROLB Bud Dupree  Olasunkanmi Adeniyi Tuzar Skipper

Here it is from Ourlads:

DT 97 HEYWARD, CAMERON 11/1 96 Buggs, Isaiah 19/6 79 Walker, Cavon SF20 65 Coatney, Josiah CF20    
NT 95 Wormley, Chris T/Bal 93 McCullers, Daniel 14/6 99 Mondeaux, Henry SF19        
DE 91 Tuitt, Stephon 14/2 94 ALUALU, TYSON U/Jax 73 Davis, Carlos 20/7 67 Taylor Jr., Calvin CF20    
LOLB 90 Watt, TJ 17/1 56 Highsmith, Alex 20/3 40 Hendrix, Dewayne SF20 49 Lockhart, James CF20    
LILB 55 Bush Jr., Devin 19/1 46 Kuntz, Christian SF19 45 Houston Jr., John CF20        
RILB 98 WILLIAMS, VINCE 13/6 54 Gilbert III, Ulysees 19/6 41 Spillane, Robert SF19 42 Lewis, Leo CF20    
ROLB 48 Dupree, Bud 15/1 92

Adeniyi, Olasunkanmi CF18

Both of these sites above have Dupree and  Watt listed as OLBs.  PFF has them both on the DL.   These have the Steelers with just one DE,  one NT and one DT.  (they list Heyward as a DT, not a DE???)

51 Skipper, Tuzar P/NYG

23 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But they do not have  Watt listed as LB....nor Dupree. They are listed as DLs. 

I mean I guess...does it sort of matter?    That is why you have this "Edge"   position designation. 

Maybe we should begin looking at  football defensive positioning differently.   Instead of   DL and LB......maybe we should have people listed as "Edge"  or "Interior".    What have been DEs and OLBs are Edge....as they seem so very interchangeable.  And DTs and  MLBs as Interior. 

They've done something weird this year. Watt and Dupree were clearly OLBs, listed as such when drafted and have always been listed as such on rosters. They are the very definition of 3-4 OLBs. But now some 3-4 DEs are being listed as DTs. Huh? What in the F changed? 

Pitt has 4 starting LBs: Watt, Bush, Williams and Dupree. 

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

2 minutes ago, Icecube said:

They've done something weird this year. Watt and Dupree were clearly OLBs, listed as such when drafted and have always been listed as such on rosters. They are the very definition of 3-4 OLBs. But now some 3-4 DEs are being listed as DTs. Huh? What in the F changed? 

Pitt has 4 starting LBs: Watt, Bush, Williams and Dupree. 

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

Yea, I just posted that.   So why then does PFF list Watt and Dupree as DL.

And why is Heyward listed as playing on the exterior, but then designated a DT?  Is he like  Reggie White/JJ Watt....who plays all over the defensive front? 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, I just posted that.   So why then does PFF list Watt and Dupree as DL.

And why is Heyward listed as playing on the exterior, but then designated a DT?  Is he like  Reggie White/JJ Watt....who plays all over the defensive front? 

Gip, I honestly don't know why the inconsistencies. I've asked around and no one has an answer. Obviously, a 3-4 system uses 3 down lineman, and 4 LBs, where oftentimes the OLBs rush the QB, but clearly not all the time. The DEs are clearly at the end of the DL, so why is Heyward now considered a DT? Until someone can offer a legit explanation, the Steelers play 4 LBs and have 3 DLmen and Heyward is a 3-4 DE. 

Now, the Browns clearly play a 4-3, with 4 DL and 3 LBs. There is no confusion there. 

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CLE

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Steelers do NOT have the 11th best LB core. 

the browns DO have one of the worst though. Mack Wilson sucked last year, I’m extremely worried about the defense 

I am not encouraged, but it depends on the Woods scheme.  If it is schemed well, I think we can do OK.  Word is we go with 2 backers more often than not and stack another safety in the box.  I also think Billings is going  be big on the DL.  He required a few bodies on him, as does Richardson in the run game.  That will help keep the backers clean.

21 hours ago, The Gipper said:

They seem to imply that the addition of BJ Goodson adds nothing at all to the quality of our LB corps.   He IS listed as backup  MLB.  Is he really Just a guy as they seem to infer? 

Honestly, having watched the Giants almost as much as the Browns- He's pretty unremarkable- unless he went to Green Bay and the light suddenly went on.  

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I am not encouraged, but it depends on the Woods scheme.  If it is schemed well, I think we can do OK.  Word is we go with 2 backers more often than not and stack another safety in the box.  I also think Billings is going  be big on the DL.  He required a few bodies on him, as does Richardson in the run game.  That will help keep the backers clean.

The backers being clean may not become the issue.     Just watch the deficiencies in the previous Cincy defenses.   Respectable dline and secondary play, horrendous linebacking unit.    

somewhat early for in-depth analysis...Berry & our pencil neck geek squad, see's teams with 12 Linebacker's on their 90 mans..Those that will keep maybe 8 Lb'ers total👀.. am not sweating our core of linebackers!! YET 🤞... but I'd look at trading NoJoke for 2 on the Jets roster todaY! they both played well while CJ Mosley was out

• Unsympathetic changed the title to PFF Preseason In-Depth Analysis - LB, DL, OL, and Team Previews - Links will be added as PFF posts

I'll keep the links updated in the OP and change the thread topic as new ones are posted. I noticed this on Monday, although the team analyses may have started before then.  Looks like these 3 are the ones they've done so far and [I'm guessing] they'll keep going until all are finished.

I'm not a PFF subscriber.. is anyone on here?

• Thanks 1

• Unsympathetic changed the title to PFF Summer 2020 - LB, DL, OL, and Team Previews

OL Analysis

Browns  #6....perhaps higher than I expected  given we will have a rookie LT  and a question at RG.

Ravens #5?.....overrated in my mind....in that they lost their best OL with the retirement of Yanda

Steelers #9....they do have some good ones, but also some question marks. 

Bengals #31....if accurate....there will be a major reason Burrow does not do so well as a rookie. 

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

RB, QB, Red Zone, and Trend Analysis links added

QBs.    They do it differently here   i.e. they apparently "cop out".   They do it in "Tiers"

Only 2 QBs in Tier One:    Mahomes and Russell Wilson

Lamar Jackson is in Tier 2.  (6 QBs in Tier 2)

And they have   Ben R.  and  Joe Burrow in the same Tier 3  as well as Baker.   They have almost half the league's QBs there....13 in Tier 3. 

They are not big fans of Darnold and Josh Allen, having them in the lowest tier, Tier 4.