Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Icecube

Why is Balt. good every year?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Where did I say that Pittsburgh didn't have a good defense?   I only ever said that Vagitron often overrates unproven players on the Steelers.  And I said that only by the grace of a decent defense was that team able to make it to 8-8 last year. 

Or, if we were to do a unit by unit comparison with the Browns  I said that  think the 2 DLs would be about even.  The Steelers LB corps would far out rank the Browns, and that the Browns  DB corps, overall is likely superior to Pittsburghs.  

So...I guess if "you aren't Gipper"  it means you have not taken the effort or time to try to do any kind of decent analysis of the talents on the two teams. 

So...here is YOUR opportunity to do so. 

Whoa!  Hold your horses. I have not read anything you posted on this thread let alone have an issue with it.

That comment was meant only let Ice know I appreciate him conceding an argument and agreeing.  Something that's harder for you to do than a Hindu eating a hamburger.

Nevertheless, since you went through the trouble, I went ahead and read the above . I agree with the first two paragraphs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gorka said:

The Pats had even more of an advantage. They were the sole contenders in that division for what seemed like decades. You forgot to include the Bills who until the last couple of years became pretty good. Six easy wins year in and year out for the Pats.

So true, but they made 9 SBs and won 6...they had to beat teams (the best) outside their div. to do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Icecube said:

So true, but they made 9 SBs and won 6...they had to beat teams (the best) outside their div. to do that. 

Cant argue with that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gorka said:

Whoa!  Hold your horses. I have not read anything you posted on this thread let alone have an issue with it.

That comment was meant only let Ice know I appreciate him conceding an argument and agreeing.  Something that's harder for you to do than a Hindu eating a hamburger.

I have conceded many points....you have just not paid attention to those apparently.  But when I am right, I am right, and I stick to my guns. 

Nevertheless, since you went through the trouble, I went ahead and read the above . I agree with the first two paragraphs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gorka said:

Whoa!  Hold your horses. I have not read anything you posted on this thread let alone have an issue with it.

That comment was meant only let Ice know I appreciate him conceding an argument and agreeing.  Something that's harder for you to do than a Hindu eating a hamburger.

Nevertheless, since you went through the trouble, I went ahead and read the above . I agree with the first two paragraphs.

 

To be honest, I never thought I was even in an argument. I kept hearing about Pitt only winning one playoff game in X years and when you said they were 5-6 I said I was surprised to hear they were even that decent, that's all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Icecube said:

To be honest, I never thought I was even in an argument. I kept hearing about Pitt only winning one playoff game in X years and when you said they were 5-6 I said I was surprised to hear they were even that decent, that's all. 

2017 Playoffs                                            
Division Sun January 14, 2018 boxscore L     Jacksonville Jaguars 42 45 28 545 462 83 2 22 378 214 164        
2016 Playoffs                                            
WildCard Sun January 8, 2017 boxscore W     Miami Dolphins 30 12 19 367 188 179 2 18 305 253 52 3      
Division Sun January 15, 2017 boxscore W   @ Kansas City Chiefs 18 16 20 389 218 171 1 16 227 166 61 2      
ConfChamp Sun January 22, 2017 boxscore L   @ New England Patriots 17 36 22 368 314 54 2 26 431 374 57        
2015 Playoffs                                            
WildCard Sat January 9, 2016 boxscore W   @ Cincinnati Bengals 18 16 21 369 202 167 2 19 279 188 91 4      
Division Sun January 17, 2016 boxscore L   @ Denver Broncos 16 23 16 396 311 85 1 19 324 215 109        
2014 Playoffs                                            
WildCard Sat January 3, 2015 boxscore L     Baltimore Ravens 17 30 22 387 319 68 3 19 299 246 53 1      
2011 Playoffs                                            
WildCard Sun January 8, 2012 boxscore L OT @ Denver Broncos 23 29 21 400 244 156 1 18 447 316 131 1      
2010 Playoffs                                            
Division Sat January 15, 2011 boxscore W     Baltimore Ravens 31 24 21 263 192 71 2

 

ConfChamp Sun January 23, 2011 boxscore W     New York Jets 24 19 23 287 121 166 2 17 289 219 70 1      
SuperBowl Sun February 6, 2011 boxscore L   N Green Bay Packers 25 31 19 387 261 126 3 15 338 288 50  

 

So...since 2010...that last SB appearance....they are 3-5 in the postseason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Gipper said:
2017 Playoffs                                            
Division Sun January 14, 2018 boxscore L     Jacksonville Jaguars 42 45 28 545 462 83 2 22 378 214 164        
2016 Playoffs                                            
WildCard Sun January 8, 2017 boxscore W     Miami Dolphins 30 12 19 367 188 179 2 18 305 253 52 3      
Division Sun January 15, 2017 boxscore W   @ Kansas City Chiefs 18 16 20 389 218 171 1 16 227 166 61 2      
ConfChamp Sun January 22, 2017 boxscore L   @ New England Patriots 17 36 22 368 314 54 2 26 431 374 57        
2015 Playoffs                                            
WildCard Sat January 9, 2016 boxscore W   @ Cincinnati Bengals 18 16 21 369 202 167 2 19 279 188 91 4      
Division Sun January 17, 2016 boxscore L   @ Denver Broncos 16 23 16 396 311 85 1 19 324 215 109        
2014 Playoffs                                            
WildCard Sat January 3, 2015 boxscore L     Baltimore Ravens 17 30 22 387 319 68 3 19 299 246 53 1      
2011 Playoffs                                            
WildCard Sun January 8, 2012 boxscore L OT @ Denver Broncos 23 29 21 400 244 156 1 18 447 316 131 1      
2010 Playoffs                                            
Division Sat January 15, 2011 boxscore W     Baltimore Ravens 31 24 21 263 192 71 2

 

ConfChamp Sun January 23, 2011 boxscore W     New York Jets 24 19 23 287 121 166 2 17 289 219 70 1      
SuperBowl Sun February 6, 2011 boxscore L   N Green Bay Packers 25 31 19 387 261 126 3 15 338 288 50  

 

So...since 2010...that last SB appearance....they are 3-5 in the postseason

So not 5-6. And 2010 almost doesn't count. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Icecube said:

So not 5-6. And 2010 almost doesn't count. 

Well.....5-6 if you include 2010. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 6:35 PM, D Bone said:

John Harbaugh is at the top of the list of reasons. 

Next to maybe, but not at...

Welcome back... :)

On 7/20/2020 at 7:54 PM, Axe said:

Because Ozzie paved the way..

BINGO! Can't believe it took until the 10th or so post.

GM in Oz's case stood for "Great Manager". The guy built an FO that might only be 2nd to the Pats'. That said BLT's is deeper and therefore more sustainable.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well.....5-6 if you include 2010. 

I think including 2010 skews the accuracy of what Pitt has been with Tomlin/Colbert. 2010 still had Cowher influence and personnel. I think that was their last run with players like Polamalu and DC Lebeau. The modern era seemed to begin after 2010. Don't get me wrong: Cleveland would trade places with Pitt's results since 2010. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Next to maybe, but not at...

Welcome back... :)

BINGO! Can't believe it took until the 10th or so post.

GM in Oz's case stood for "Great Manager". The guy built an FO that might only be 2nd to the Pats'. That said BLT's is deeper and therefore more sustainable.

Who do you think I was talking about when I said "good management/talent evaluation"  in the 3rd post.  I guess I had to spell out his name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Icecube said:

I think including 2010 skews the accuracy of what Pitt has been with Tomlin/Colbert. 2010 still had Cowher influence and personnel. I think that was their last run with players like Polamalu and DC Lebeau. The modern era seemed to begin after 2010. Don't get me wrong: Cleveland would trade places with Pitt's results since 2010. 

Tomlin was HC in both 2008 when they won and 2010 when they lost.  But I do think LeBeau was a primary factor from  their 2005-2010 run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Next to maybe, but not at...

Welcome back... :)

BINGO! Can't believe it took until the 10th or so post.

GM in Oz's case stood for "Great Manager". The guy built an FO that might only be 2nd to the Pats'. That said BLT's is deeper and therefore more sustainable.

Oz was a really good personnel guy. But the Ravens continue to crush it in drafts since he has been gone. 2020 draft was just insane by a team who just went 14-2. In my life, I've never seen a team draft that well after that good of a season. Queen, Dobbins, Madubuike, Duvernay? And they even nabbed good talent after those 4 dudes. They replenished both lines AND just happen to have added Campbell, one of the best Dlman in the NFL. Dear God. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Tomlin was HC in both 2008 when they won and 2010 when they lost.  But I do think LeBeau was a primary factor from  their 2005-2010 run. 

Not just Lebeau himself, but what about those players? Aaron Smith, Hampton. Keisel, Woodley, Farrior, Harrison, Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark, Polamalu? They are pretty good again on D, but that group was epic. They were in 3 SBs in 6 years. That's not a Patriot-level run, but that ain't shabby. I fear the Ravens might be on a similar run now. The Browns are going to have to earn a playoff run in a serious way. And for all we know, the Bengals could be beginning their own run by 2021 if Burrow is the real deal. The AFCN could be the most bad a$$ division in all of the NFL all of a sudden. (I'd give that title to the NFCW for now - 9ers, Seattle, AZ, Rams). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Icecube said:

Not just Lebeau himself, but what about those players? Aaron Smith, Hampton. Keisel, Woodley, Farrior, Harrison, Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark, Polamalu? They are pretty good again on D, but that group was epic. They were in 3 SBs in 6 years. That's not a Patriot-level run, but that ain't shabby. I fear the Ravens might be on a similar run now. The Browns are going to have to earn a playoff run in a serious way. And for all we know, the Bengals could be beginning their own run by 2021 if Burrow is the real deal. The AFCN could be the most bad a$$ division in all of the NFL all of a sudden. (I'd give that title to the NFCW for now - 9ers, Seattle, AZ, Rams). 

I personally think it was LeBeau who make the players, not otherwise.   Some of those guys went elsewhere and did diddley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I personally think it was LeBeau who make the players, not otherwise.   Some of those guys went elsewhere and did diddley. 

Went elsewhere and did diddley? Well, they were mostly old, most retired. Woodley went on to be overweight in Oakland, but he sucked before he left. Polamalu, Hampton, Farrior, Aaron Smith, Ike Taylor, etc. all hung them up soon after 2010. Lebeau went on to TN with so so results there. He was like 80 years old himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 2:07 AM, Gorka said:

Of course they do. And in your case jumping to another point avoids having to agree with me.

Like Baltimore the last 10yrs, Pitt has also has been good. Agree?

tomlin should have got coach of the yr last season with those qb's he had....i think, if there is a season and if rottenburger is 100 percent, they will win the afc north...believe me they will figure out jackson...big time....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, browns52 said:

tomlin should have got coach of the yr last season with those qb's he had....i think, if there is a season and if rottenburger is 100 percent, they will win the afc north...believe me they will figure out jackson...big time....

The Browns will roll.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, browns52 said:

tomlin should have got coach of the yr last season with those qb's he had....i think, if there is a season and if rottenburger is 100 percent, they will win the afc north...believe me they will figure out jackson...big time....

Ugh...don't say shit like that.lol

I know, you're trying to keep it real which is good. I'm the same way no matter how much I hate that team...or the Rats.

btw...I think more teams will figure out Jackson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Baltimore Ravens have never

On 7/23/2020 at 2:15 PM, Icecube said:

Oz was a really good personnel guy. But the Ravens continue to crush it in drafts since he has been gone. 2020 draft was just insane by a team who just went 14-2. In my life, I've never seen a team draft that well after that good of a season. Queen, Dobbins, Madubuike, Duvernay? And they even nabbed good talent after those 4 dudes. They replenished both lines AND just happen to have added Campbell, one of the best Dlman in the NFL. Dear God. 

I hear you, but OTOH, when you are 14-2 and have a young dominant franchise quarterback your draft by definition is not a desperate, pressure-packed can't miss affair that leads job-insecure GMs into wild pinata-swinging  misadventures, like a 28-yo rookie QB in the 1st round, an extremely average RB w/ #3 overall, a 1st round immature drunk little boy QB, Barkevious Mingo, Justin Gilbert, a litany of trade-downs from  high positions that never yielded squat (Phil Taylor and the examples get worse from there), and all the rest.  It's been said a million times - nothing succeeds like success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my life, I've never seen a team draft that well after that good of a season. Queen, Dobbins, Madubuike, Duvernay? And they even nabbed good talent after those 4 dudes. They replenished both lines AND just happen to have added Campbell, one of the best Dlman in the NFL. Dear God. 

Let's reserve judgment on these guys until they play.  The thing they have going for them assuredly is good coaching....which many of our past failures did not have the benefit of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 4:15 PM, Icecube said:

But the Ravens continue to crush it in drafts since he has been gone.

Thus my " built an FO that might only be 2nd to the Pats'," comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 1:18 PM, Tour2ma said:

Thus my " built an FO that might only be 2nd to the Pats'," comment.

Interestingly enough, NE is not that great at drafting, as one might assume. They can't draft stud WRs to save their lives. Yes, they totally lucked out on drafting the GOAT in the 6th round. But when you look at their drafts, they are not exceptional most years. 

They are good at generating a volume of picks, as the bigger the net the better your chances of finding gems (See Jimmy Johnson in Dallas). 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think Baltimore was good last year, just wait until you see them THIS year. 

It's totally conceivable, and likely, they'll have a worse record but be a better team. Why? Well, first off all they have their scheme down PAT. All of the teams that are introducing new systems this year are going to be totally screwed compared to those who have their style completely developed. Which category do you think WE fit into? 

Now, I'm not going to say that we're going to get our asses whipped week 1, but I will say that if you're a betting man, you can safely wager your life savings, home, and college funds on Baltimore winning. I mean, think about Baltimore's offense and how hard it is to stop. Combine that with no preseason, their record last year, OUR opening day record, and you're left with a terrible recipe. 

I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong AF. I would actually pick us to win against just about ANY other team in the world, but Baltimore week 1?REALLY NFL? My biggest hope is that they'll be just as rusty as us. That they'll fumble multiple times while pitching the ball, that Lamar won't be razor sharp, and whatever else. But it doesn't look good, folks. We're going to need some serious mojo to finally bring home a week 1 victory. Lord knows it's time. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

If you think Baltimore was good last year, just wait until you see them THIS year. 

It's totally conceivable, and likely, they'll have a worse record but be a better team. Why? Well, first off all they have their scheme down PAT. All of the teams that are introducing new systems this year are going to be totally screwed compared to those who have their style completely developed. Which category do you think WE fit into? 

...... But it doesn't look good, folks. We're going to need some serious mojo to finally bring home a week 1 victory. Lord knows it's time. 

Hey jig how's life down in sunny Florida ?

And yes BAL and the AFCN in general it going to be a tougher road this year......barring any strange 2020 occurrences.  Even lowly Cincinnati will not be picking first in Cleveland in 2021.

Might be good to have a 12-4 record to win the division.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 6:34 PM, Gorka said:

Ugh...don't say shit like that.lol

I know, you're trying to keep it real which is good. I'm the same way no matter how much I hate that team...or the Rats.

btw...I think more teams will figure out Jackson.

The problem is, Jackson doesn't have to be superman, just do enough. It's not like he has to carry the whole team. Their D is stacked, running game brutal. If LJ makes 3 long pass plays, a few runs, they win. If you jail break LJ, he'll hit Brown or Boykin deep. And just wait until they get Duvernay involved. Dear word. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 4:21 PM, browns52 said:

tomlin should have got coach of the yr last season with those qb's he had....i think, if there is a season and if rottenburger is 100 percent, they will win the afc north...believe me they will figure out jackson...big time....

so says the jealous steeler fan that cant stand the fact the ravens are the team of the future and the steelers are slowly dying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 11:41 AM, mjp28 said:

Hey jig how's life down in sunny Florida ?

And yes BAL and the AFCN in general it going to be a tougher road this year......barring any strange 2020 occurrences.  Even lowly Cincinnati will not be picking first in Cleveland in 2021.

Might be good to have a 12-4 record to win the division.

Life is good! Just started a new job and looking forward to HOPEFULLY watching football. Lord, it just feels like our country NEEDS this, ya know? This damn virus has everything so messed up and Florida is getting the worst of it. School is about to start and we all expect that to be a crap show. We need football...we need something to talk about. 😊

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 11:41 AM, mjp28 said:

Hey jig how's life down in sunny Florida ?

And yes BAL and the AFCN in general it going to be a tougher road this year......barring any strange 2020 occurrences.  Even lowly Cincinnati will not be picking first in Cleveland in 2021.

Might be good to have a 12-4 record to win the division.

We all know the NFL season has so many twists and turns, even in a "normal" year. For instance, the Browns WRECKING the Ravens by putting up 40 on them. But it turns out that was an anomaly. But at the time, the Browns looked like a true contender. 

But, The Ravens seem stacked. They added some skiznett. Campbell is a beast. I'm not saying Jackson will be MVP like again, but he'll still be a weapon.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Icecube said:

We all know the NFL season has so many twists and turns, even in a "normal" year. For instance, the Browns WRECKING the Ravens by putting up 40 on them. But it turns out that was an anomaly. But at the time, the Browns looked like a true contender. 

But, The Ravens seem stacked. They added some skiznett. Campbell is a beast. I'm not saying Jackson will be MVP like again, but he'll still be a weapon.   

All I ever see is you sucking the Ravens dick.  

Fuck them.  They had their apex last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×