THE BROWNS BOARD

On the road survey

The Gipper

I have a few on my short list Danny boy Marino maybe is the BEST but on the list would be Jim Kelly, little Fran Tarkenton, Warren Moon maybe whinny Dan Fouts.

On the also rans Vinny, Kenny, Air McNair and the guy the BROWNS passed over for Kentucky Kouch Donovan McNabb.

But I'm sure everyone had their preferences.

I'm still wondering what if anything McNabb would have done in brown and orange...... we'll never know.

• Upvote 1

It's clearly Marino. 

And then Fouts, Moon and Tark. 

I think Kelly is a bit overrated. You get there 4 times and never close the door even once? They had no right losing to the Giants, albeit, they did go against Tuna and Hoodie and they sure did a number on their offense. Holding those Bills under 30 was an amazing feat. 

6 hours ago, Zombo said:

Dan Marino is the best QB to never win a championship.

Otto Graham is the best QB to never win a Super Bowl.

Z

Of course, Otto was "pre Super Bowl era", but he won a BUNCH of Championships.

Mike

6 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Throw in Philip Rivers- he’s got some eye popping numbers.

Moon...Kelly...Marino come to mind over the past 30-40 years 

Yeah Rivers didn't come to mind maybe because he's not quite done yet.  Another one who is/was a big achiever/underachiever.

I have a feeling over time he will end up in the didn't quite make it pile.  A HOF candidate like many of the others ?  

1) Marino hof 2005  2.) Fran hof 86  3)Moon hof 06 4) Kelly hof 02......5) Rivers 6) Fouts 7)McNabb 8.) Romo 9) Matt Ryan  10)McNair

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

I'm going with Tarkenton. 

Marino was great, but without Duper & Clayton he didn't shine.

Honorable Mention to Kenny Stabler.

Stabler won a Super Bowl for the Raiders, against the Vikings. 

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Stabler won a Super Bowl for the Raiders, against the Vikings. 

Oops, that's right.

Well, he should have won a couple more lol. The guy was great.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Of course, Otto was "pre Super Bowl era", but he won a BUNCH of Championships.

Mike

I was just making sure he didn't get me on a technicality... You know Gip!

Z

11 hours ago, gumby73 said:

1) Marino hof 2005  2.) Fran hof 86  3)Moon hof 06 4) Kelly hof 02......5) Rivers 6) Fouts 7)McNabb 8.) Romo 9) Matt Ryan  10)McNair

Good List. Interesting that the Chargers had two Hall of Fame QBs who (until this year) spent their entire careers there but never made a Super Bowl. They also had some great coaches, like Coryell and Schottenheimer.

But they made the Super Bowl with freaking Stan Humphries and Bobby Ross.

Z

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Oops, that's right.

Well, he should have won a couple more lol. The guy was great.

Ken "the snake" Stabler was also a HOF quarterback but due to CFE caused by head blows was unable to make it to Canton to be induced personally, his grandkids were there in his place......how sad.   His legacy and those of others are why they can not hit QBs and WRs now.....who can play into their 40s in many cases.

But he was one of Madden's great old Raiders that terrorized pro football back then.

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Ken "the snake" Stabler was also a HOF quarterback but due to CFE caused by head blows was unable to make it to Canton to be induced personally, his grandkids were there in his place......how sad.   His legacy and those of others are why they can not hit QBs and WRs now.....who can play into their 40s in many cases.

But he was one of Madden's great old Raiders that terrorized pro football back then.

Yeah I never understood the delay in his induction to the HOF. It seemed he somehow alienated voters.

There was a documentary on it and I know his family was very upset about him being inducted posthumously. 

• Upvote 1

The snake was quite a football player.  Stabler was posthumously elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016.

Stabler was married three times: Isabel Clarke from 1968 to 1973, Debbie Fitzsimmons from 1975 to 1978 and Rose Molly Burch from 1984 to 2009.

Stabler had three daughters, Kendra Stabler Moyes, Alexa Stabler-Adams and Marissa Leigh Stabler.[44] In 2017, Alexa Stabler-Adams was certified by the NFLPA as a sports agent. [45]

Renowned for being cool and cerebral on the field, Stabler was equally legendary for his off-field exploits;[citation needed] he wrote in his 1986 autobiography Snake, "The monotony of [training] camp was so oppressive that without the diversions of whiskey and women, those of us who were wired for activity and no more than six hours sleep a night might have gone berserk".[46] Stabler told stories of drunk Raiders teammates pointing guns at him, and bailing out a teammate from jail who was wearing nothing but blue cowboy boots and his Super Bowl ring. "We were the only pro team who traveled with its own bail bondsman", he said.[47]

DeathEdit

Stabler died of colon cancer on July 8, 2015, at the age of 69. He had been diagnosed with the disease in February 2015. After some initial confusion when The Tuscaloosa News leaked a draft obituary for Stabler before word of his death could be confirmed, his family confirmed his death in a statement issued on July 9.[48][49]

In February 2016, The New York Times reported that researchers at Boston University discovered high Stage 3 chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) in Stabler's brain after his death.[50] He was buried at Pine Rest Cemetery in Foley, Alabama.

23 hours ago, Icecube said:

It's clearly Marino. 

I think Kelly is a bit overrated. You get there 4 times and never close the door even once? They had no right losing to the Giants, albeit, they did go against Tuna and Hoodie and they sure did a number on their offense. Holding those Bills under 30 was an amazing feat. 

Kelly was a Scott Norwood missed FG away from winning one. 

On 7/15/2020 at 6:01 PM, Icecube said:

It's clearly Marino. 

Kelly seems to carry that overrated tag but he was a big part of the K-gun offence (named for him) and making it to and losing 4 consecutive super bowls.

And Buffalo was only favored in one the one they coulda' actually won and during the 13 game NFC win streak.  It wasn't to be.

Pretty safe in saying that record will never be equaled.  From our friends at vegasinsider.com

XXVIII 1994 Atlanta, GA Dallas vs. Buffalo Dallas -10.5 (50.5) Dallas 30 Buffalo 13 Favorite-Under
XXVII 1993 Pasadena, CA Dallas vs. Buffalo Dallas -6.5 (44.5) Dallas 52 Buffalo 17 Favorite-Over
XXVI 1992 Minneapolis, MN Washington vs. Buffalo Washington -7 (49) Washington 37 Buffalo 24 Favorite-Over
XXV 1991 Tampa, FL N.Y. Giants vs. Buffalo Buffalo -7 (40.5) N.Y. Giants 20 Buffalo 19 Underdog-Under

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I feel for Bills fans.  You go to the SB four years in a row and don't get at least one of them...ouch.

It's kind of like us with the Indians teams of 1995-2001. Six division titles in seven years, two A.L. pennants but could never win a World Series despite all that talent. 

Yep. It's why I feel for them.

Heck, I feel a double whammy.  I live 100 miles from Atlanta.  My youngest son and I watched Braves games every night for years.  With the Braves I go back to the days of Dale Murphy, Bob Horner, Phil Niekro. Went to 5-6 games a year.  Maddox, Glavin, Schmoltz, and some other guys who were pretty good....name a better pitching staff.  That is 3 HOF pitchers.  I watched them lose to the Twins and Bluejays in the WS.  Then they beat the Indians in the WS.  

I couldn't even enjoy that.  Maybe I am jinxed?

Supplemental Question:

Who was the WORST QB to WIN a Super Bowl.

Take this two ways:   A. The player who had the worst career but won one nevertheless    B.  The QB who had the worst game, but their team won nevertheless

My candidate for B:  Ben R. in the 2005 game. He sucked swamp water, but the team won nevertheless...because of defense and help from the Zebras.

Have to think about A. 

I think the candidates for  A...QB with the worst career to win a SB  has to include these candidates:   Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Nick Foles, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson.

Not that these were really bad QBs,  just that they did not have the illustrious total career as most other SB winning QBs. 

54 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think the candidates for  A...QB with the worst career to win a SB  has to include these candidates:   Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Nick Foles, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson.

Not that these were really bad QBs,  just that they did not have the illustrious total career as most other SB winning QBs. 

Trent Dilfer's name (among the others mentioned) pops up a lot when they talk about a mediocre quarterback who was just good enough to manage an offence on a good team generally with a great defense.  "Here's the ball don't fuck it up."

Generally it is the franchise type quarterback who leads a good team to the super bowl and wins it.

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Trent Dilfer's name (among the others mentioned) pops up a lot when they talk about a mediocre quarterback who was just good enough to manage an offence on a good team generally with a great defense.  "Here's the ball don't fuck it up."

Generally it is the franchise type quarterback who leads a good team to the super bowl and wins it.

Yes, ergo the question. 

I always thought Randall Cunningham was over looked. The guy had 30,000 yards passing. Way more Td’s than int’s. Not too mention all the rushing yards and Td’s