THE BROWNS BOARD

Patrick Mahomes a 10 year $503 million dollar extension to his contract..... insanity ? 

mjp28

Patrick Mahomes a technically 10 year $503 million dollar extension to his contract..... insanity ?    :lol:

By Jay Busbee

Morning, friends! If Patrick Mahomes owes you money, good news: you’re probably going to get paid back.

Monday afternoon, Mahomes signed a half-a-billion-dollar contract — yep, billion with a B — thereby ensuring he will be one of the most notable athletes of the 2020s, one way or another.

The contract, technically a 10-year, potentially $503 million extension on top of the two years remaining on his current deal, will (theoretically) keep him in Chiefs red through the 2031 season. (2031? We’ll probably have flying cars by then, right?) Granted, the odds of Mahomes playing out this contract are next to zero — he’ll renegotiate it, or get cut, or get injured, long before then — but the truth is, this is a win-win from almost every angle. Let’s break it down.

Winner: Patrick Mahomes...... continued in Yahoo sports........

No.

but now it becomes a blessing and curse for him.  He’s paid well likely to perform well but what room do the Chiefs have to add talent that will perform well around him.  

Chiefs scouts will need to do their job and the GM will need to have 9/10 picks each draft to secure young cheap talent.  They will have some tough decisions to make on other contract extensions 

• Upvote 1

And how do the chiefs get a good OL around him now and in the future to protect their star on the cheap ?  :huh:

• Upvote 1

This has to be the sweetest deal ever it only gets better:

Mahomes agreed to a 10-year extension with the Chiefs, sources confirmed to Yahoo Sports. ESPN’s Adam Schefter first reported on the deal. The Chiefs announced the extension on Monday afternoon.

Mahomes’ agency, Steinberg Sports, tweeted that the deal is worth $503 million, including $477 million in guarantee mechanisms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really? $477M in guarantee mechanisms..... whatever that entails.

He better give his OL some nice thank you gifts every year.

..... to play a game. All while teachers, nurses, police officers, firemen and trash collectors all have to live a 90 minute drive away from the cities they work in because they can't afford to live in the places they serve.

What's even crazier is if the owner can sign his name on that pay check, what must he be making? 

Enjoy that $25 parking, $12 hot dog, $16 beer and $150 seat the next time you root on your heroes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I am a capitalist. If that is what the market brings, good for him.

I'm not the owner, I don't have to pay him. Good for me.

I'm not the GM, I don't have to figure out how to navigate the rest of the roster. Good for me.

I'm not a fan. I don't have to figure out the metrics of whether or not this will be regarded as successful. Good for me.

The NFL just jumped to the front of the line in player salaries. Good for the NFL.

Will the NBA or MLB be ready to rustle up a BILLION DOLLAR contract in the next decade? That number seems so high right now. But we went from $300M MLB contracts over a decade to $180M NBA contracts over four years to half a billion dollar NFL contracts in just a decade, so it's probably not that out of the realm of possibility. 

Still, assembling a team around one individual getting paid is a hefty task. The Colts tried it and it didn't work with Peyton Manning. The Patriots have done the exact opposite and have won six Super Bowls in two decades. If I'm a Chiefs fan, I'm not a fan of this deal. 

Today's recap of the KC Chiefs going "all in" on Mahomes, let's see what happens next.

The $503M question: Can Chiefs build a dynasty with so much spent on Patrick Mahomes?

Terez Paylor
Terez PaylorSenior NFL writer
Yahoo SportsJuly 6, 2020, 11:56 PM EDT

On Monday, the Kansas City Chiefs secured their future after signing Patrick Mahomes to a historic 10-year extension worth a maximum of $503 million.

And now, the hard work begins for the Chiefs’ front office.

For the past two seasons, the Chiefs possessed the single biggest advantage in the NFL in Mahomes, an All-Pro, MVP quarterback on a dirt-cheap rookie deal. They took advantage of it, using the free salary-cap room to sign transformational talents like Frank Clark and Tyrann Mathieu, along with other key contributors like Sammy Watkins and Anthony Hitchens. All contributed greatly as the Chiefs won their first Super Bowl title in 50 years last season.

Mahomes’ historic deal could go down as the richest in the history of American professional sports. It also will increase the degree of difficulty for the Chiefs’ front office, though admittedly not as much as it could have had Mahomes insisted on tying a portion of the deal to a percentage of the cap, something agents across the league were hoping he’d do.

“We’re going to continue to do everything we can to surround him with talent, and this deal provides us more flexibility to do that,” Chiefs general manager Brett Veach said in a statement.

Still, whenever a quarterback’s cap number rises from $5.3 million, as it is this year, to an average of nearly $45 million in the 11 years after that, there’s no doubt the front office and coaching staff will have less room for error. 

For starters, key contributors to the championship run will undoubtedly be allowed to leave, eventually. There won’t be many free-agent splurges, but the ones they sign can’t miss. Additionally, nailing draft picks will be crucial; they are talented, moldable and most important, cheap, so early round draft picks must be Day 1 contributors, while late-round selections must be developed into eventual contributors. 

In all, it’s the real-life, front-office equivalent of increasing the difficulty level on “Madden 20” from all-pro to all-Madden......... continued in Yahoo sports......

11 hours ago, AP1 said:

Still, assembling a team around one individual getting paid is a hefty task. The Colts tried it and it didn't work with Peyton Manning. The Patriots have done the exact opposite and have won six Super Bowls in two decades. If I'm a Chiefs fan, I'm not a fan of this deal. 

Yeah, it is extremely difficult to navigate the salary cap for all teams in this day and age. Look at the Seahawks, who basically paid Russell Wislon and let their "legion of boom" go elsewhere. The Seahawks are still competitive, but may not see a SB the rest of Wilson's career. 

All teams have to gamble on signing their stars after rookie deals expire. Not easy to do. Like you said, I'm glad I'm not a GM.

Another question can KC come close to the NE model for building a dynasty in the 2020s ?  (The quick reaction is probably NO but can it work?)

16 hours ago, D Bone said:

..... to play a game. All while teachers, nurses, police officers, firemen and trash collectors all have to live a 90 minute drive away from the cities they work in because they can't afford to live in the places they serve.

What's even crazier is if the owner can sign his name on that pay check, what must he be making? 

Enjoy that $25 parking, $12 hot dog, $16 beer and $150 seat the next time you root on your heroes. 

Good points. The reality now is can a family of four attend a road trip to see an NFL or even BROWNS football game with all of the nice gameday amenities ?  

Do they have to save up all year to see just one game ?   You long time season ticket holders can weigh in on that on how things have changed from the of Muni dog pound era to the experience now at the new super nice ($$$$) experience.

I remember just buying individual tickets and getting a hotdog or two or three and a few beers in the 1970s and 1980s.  To be honest my superintendent in a mill I worked in used to give me complimentary 50 yard line tickets when available plus a friend who had INDIANS connections occasionally would get us loge tickets back in that era but regular seats were just fine and you wouldn't spend close to $50 for everything......great memories.

I'm a free market capitalist too but is attending a professional football game becoming a well-to-do activity now ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Good points. The reality now is can a family of four attend a road trip to see an NFL or even BROWNS football game with all of the nice gameday amenities ?  

Do they have to save up all year to see just one game ?   You long time season ticket holders can weigh in on that on how things have changed from the of Muni dog pound era to the experience now at the new super nice ($$$$) experience.

I remember just buying individual tickets and getting a hotdog or two or three and a few beers in the 1970s and 1980s.  To be honest my superintendent in a mill I worked in used to give me complimentary 50 yard line tickets when available plus a friend who had INDIANS connections occasionally would get us love tickets back in that era but regular seats were just fine and you wouldn't spend close to $50 for everything......great memories.

I'm a free market capitalist too but is attending a professional football game becoming a well-to-do activity now ?

I've had season tickets since 1979. Tickets in the Bleachers then were $6/game, so it was $66 for that entire season.

Now, I have two seats in the Upper Deck, cost is $1304 ($65 a seat, per game). 

Fortunately I can afford it, and I still love going even though the team has caused me much pain. I usually don't buy any concessions inside, as we tailgate before hand. maybe I drink a couple $10 beers if I want. 

The way I always looked at expenditures when my kids were young was don't spend what you can't afford. So I just took one of my 3 sons to the game instead of the whole family. Please don't report me to 696-KIDS lol.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

No.

but now it becomes a blessing and curse for him.  He’s paid well likely to perform well but what room do the Chiefs have to add talent that will perform well around him.  

Chiefs scouts will need to do their job and the GM will need to have 9/10 picks each draft to secure young cheap talent.  They will have some tough decisions to make on other contract extensions 

They have to draft well, period. But they have been. A true franchise QB talent usually makes the playoffs most season. Brady, Marino, Montana, Favre, et al seem to find a way, even as their supporting cast alters from season to season. 

2 hours ago, Icecube said:

They have to draft well, period. But they have been. A true franchise QB talent usually makes the playoffs most season.  

Chiefs gm Brett Veach, was handed Dorsey's drafted car keys & told to  drive the car while listening to Andy Reid radio 🎅 cause JD would not..

What part of Veach draft history scares anyone being handed a QB/WR/TE & OL https://wholeninesports.com/2019/03/31/brett-veach-chiefs-draft-history/   and Chris Jones👀

Since...It's been about Veach adding FA"s that want money & winning... Veach cock-blocked himself in giving the Frank Clark deal 🤔 now I don't see how he get's a Chris Jones deal done? Sammy Watkins/Rams  Damien Williams/Mia.  Alex Okafor/Saints  Taco Charlton/Mike Pennel SF  Both starting LB's/Dallas  Bashaud Breeland/GB & Tyrann Mathieu/Houston

Got a formula to Pay all these SB winners?    I'd beg for this problem.. Poor Ma-hommie never had any talent at Texas Tech :P.. now Kermit 🐸 controls his own yearly cap 

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2020 at 1:54 PM, mjp28 said:

And how do the chiefs get a good OL around him now and in the future to protect their star on the cheap ?  :huh:

Great points!  That said, they have 1 productive starting OL that is also a Doctor that'll probably be happy with whatever the Chiefs are paying him.  Back when Andy Reid drafted Donovan McNabb 2nd overall in 99 (over Ricky Williams) it felt like a Ku Klux Klan rally broke out during the NFL Draft. Then I reminded myself it's only Philly fans showing us why their stadium used to have a court room and jail cells in it.  Not to be outdone, Ditka gave up his entire draft for Ricky Williams so he could go golfing during the rest of the draft.  It only made sense that Ricky Williams ended up on prozac in New Orleans while McNabb went on to lead the Eagles to the playoffs in 8 of his 11 seasons in Philly.  If the Browns weren't -re-entering the league in 99, Philly was piss poor enough in 98 to warrant the 1st pick overall in 99.

Why all that?  When Andy Reid gets the right QB for his system - he can get guys like Hank Fraley an undrafted Center from Robert Morris University to be a very productive starter.  Watching a guy out of that caliber of a program able to pull all the way outside was very impressive.  And then while Eagles fans dreamed Ricky Williams would be their back of the future opponents would have trouble matching up with - Reid ended up drafting Villanova's Brian Westbrook in the 3rd round.  This RB became a serious weapon in both the running game and passing game.  Reid loved lining him up all over the formation in the grid-iron chess match. 

Mahomes gives Reid a similar situation in KC. He's the best in the league right now so he deserves the most money.  Having said that, was this the right time to give him THAT much more than everyone else considering there's a Pandemic killing people and putting others out of work?

Give me two teams: One with 53 players all on the final year of their contract, the other with 53 players all on the first year of their big payday contract....

One team will win the Super Bowl, while the other watches it from their couch. 

On 7/7/2020 at 5:00 PM, D Bone said:

...no.....to bring in REVENUE.  teachers and nurses are in relative abundance...you can find qualified people do all those jobs for X dollars.  If you couldn't, you'd have to offer more pay to find qualified poeple to do those things....simple economics.......

Also, the PARKING at Arrowhead stadium has been WAY WAY WAY beyond 25 for years..it's been 60 or so since I can remember....again, supply and demand...tailgating at Arrowhead is an awesome experience.....they overfill the lot at 60 as it is.  The hot dog, beer etc....no one cares....if you aren't full of BBQ and drunk off your ass by gametime then you must be really late to your tailgate party.  (PS, beers and dogs aren't that much at arrowhead...they know they get their bread buttered by the golden goose that is the parking lot) 

Last....don't know who among you hear has spent any considerable time in KC...but it is extremely affordable and has more lanes of hiway per captia than any city in the US (yes, that is a real stat)  ....you can get damn near anywhere in the entire metro by car in under 30 minutes. no matter where you live.   

On 7/8/2020 at 9:31 AM, mjp28 said:

I remember just buying individual tickets and getting a hotdog or two or three and a few beers in the 1970s and 1980s.  To be honest my superintendent in a mill I worked in used to give me complimentary 50 yard line tickets when available plus a friend who had INDIANS connections occasionally would get us loge tickets back in that era but regular seats were just fine and you wouldn't spend close to $50 for everything......great memories.

I agree with the sentiment of your post here...football is an expensive sport to attend in person.  not something most can load up the family of 4-5 and just go....that's 1000 bucks easy. 

For those of you thinking KC is going to have some hard time with the roster anytime soon..HA!  .... over the next 4 years, Ryan Tannehill will be paid more than Mahomes...and the core is already under contract for the next 2 years as it is. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Give me two teams: One with 53 players all on the final year of their contract, the other with 53 players all on the first year of their big payday contract....

One team will win the Super Bowl, while the other watches it from their couch. 

Is this quiz we can guess which one? I’m going to say obviously it is the teamer all the players are in the final year of their contract. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pat Mahomo said:

...no.....to bring in REVENUE.  teachers and nurses are in relative abundance...you can find qualified people do all those jobs for X dollars.  If you couldn't, you'd have to offer more pay to find qualified poeple to do those things....simple economics.......

Also, the PARKING at Arrowhead stadium has been WAY WAY WAY beyond 25 for years..it's been 60 or so since I can remember....again, supply and demand...tailgating at Arrowhead is an awesome experience.....they overfill the lot at 60 as it is.  The hot dog, beer etc....no one cares....if you aren't full of BBQ and drunk off your ass by gametime then you must be really late to your tailgate party.  (PS, beers and dogs aren't that much at arrowhead...they know they get their bread buttered by the golden goose that is the parking lot) 

Last....don't know who among you hear has spent any considerable time in KC...but it is extremely affordable and has more lanes of hiway per captia than any city in the US (yes, that is a real stat)  ....you can get damn near anywhere in the entire metro by car in under 30 minutes. no matter where you live.   

I agree with the sentiment of your post here...football is an expensive sport to attend in person.  not something most can load up the family of 4-5 and just go....that's 1000 bucks easy. 

*****For those of you thinking KC is going to have some hard time with the roster anytime soon..HA!  .... over the next 4 years, Ryan Tannehill will be paid more than Mahomes...and the core is already under contract for the next 2 years as it is. 

**** That's the strange part of the PM mega deal it's two years on the cheap then the $0.5B with guarantees kick in.  Normally they would rework the whole deal.

So two years to repeat or threepeat before reworking a bunch of other stuff.  GO Chiefs, quickly !

On 7/7/2020 at 1:54 PM, mjp28 said:

By drafting well. And also, Mahomes will be paid less than a lot of QBs for 2 more years. It's not as insanely high pay as most think. Sure, the total deal looks like a monster deal until you really look at it. 

When you have a great QB, who commands a great salary, you have to draft well and be masterful at picking up free agents that fit your scheme at a decent price. (It can be argued that the Patriots have been successful more because of the latter than the former.) 

Or else, the Chiefs with Mahomes will eventually become the Packers with Rodgers... a good team, but not a serious Super Bowl contender for a lot of later career.

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2020 at 6:00 PM, D Bone said:

It is what it is.  Dogs and beer don't sell that high.  Last year parking in Cleveland was $50 in many of the closer lots.  You could still find $20 lots in the flats.  It is a lot longer walk, but you can buy a $5 day pass and take the train from there and drop off in front of the stadium.  Starting around 11am one passes about every 15 minutes.  Before that, every 30 minutes. My seats are more like $175 each.