THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Indians Looking Into Changing Name

MLD Woody

34 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Think on the bright side here guys:

- Baseball fans skew older. A lot of baseball fans are boomers. Etc

- Older people, boomers, etc. are more likely to be conservative 

- Conservatives are more likely to be outraged by this name change, leading to them boycotting the team/sport

- If older people are choosing not to watch baseball, that's a huge chunk of their fanbase

- If a huge chunk of the fanbase isn't watching, baseball will suffer financially

- If baseball suffers financially, it might go away!

No more baseball!

Ignorant and just wrong and stupid 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

- Conservatives are more likely to be outraged by this name change, leading to them boycotting the team/sport

- If older people are choosing not to watch baseball, that's a huge chunk of their fanbase

- If a huge chunk of the fanbase isn't watching, baseball will suffer financially

No more baseball!

That's inaccurate.  Because the average age of a baseball fan is 57 doesn't automatically make most baseball fans conservatives.

I for a fact know avid sports fans who are liberals that also oppose name changes...and in this instance are probably ashamed to be on the same side as their whiney ass liberal cohorts.

political-leaningd.png

Then there's this about the Redskins..https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

We don't care what you think Native Americans, we uppity liberals know whats best for you.  "Redskins" may not hurt your feelings, but it hurts ours.

11 minutes ago, Gorka said:

That's inaccurate.  Because the average age of a baseball fan is 57 doesn't automatically make most baseball fans conservatives.

I for a fact know avid sports fans who are liberals that also oppose name changes...and in this instance are probably ashamed to be on the same side as their whiney ass liberal cohorts.

political-leaningd.png

Then there's this about the Redskins..https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

We don't care what you think Native Americans, we uppity liberals know whats best for you.  "Redskins" may not hurt your feelings, but it hurts ours.

And I'll post this ...again..

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/

A peer reviewed academic study instead of a news paper poll

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Ignorant and just wrong and stupid 

Yeah I knew you wouldn't like it. But I'll save all of us the trouble of us going down this rabbit hole again where I post stats on baseball's decline and you get angry

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

No more baseball!

It's hard to figure out what sports will survive the New World Order attack. 

No more baseball!

Mr Woody you sure put a bright spotlight on the subject.  :(

Thanks from all of us boomers.

🍿

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And theoretically they are called the Browns because of people with brown skin. Supposedly they’re called the browns after Joe the brown bomber Louis. Brown bomber for  the color of the skin

I thought the name was from Paul Brown. 

5 minutes ago, Icecube said:

I thought the name was from Paul Brown. 

The Cleveland Browns are a professional American football team based in Cleveland. Named after original coach and co-founder Paul Brown, they compete in the National Football League (NFL) as a member club of the American Football Conference (AFC) North division. The Browns play their home games at FirstEnergy Stadium, which opened in 1999,[8][9] with administrative offices and training facilities in Berea, Ohio. The Browns' official club colors are brown, orange, and white.[10] They are unique among the 32 member franchises of the NFL in that they do not have a logo on their helmets.

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

Worst idea for a name ever. 

IMO the best names are ones either having something to with the city's culture/history/what its known for... or a clever play on words. Not sure "spiders" have anything to do with Cleveland...just like elves.

Best Baseball name imo...The Arizona Diamondbacks.  Rattlesnakes common in Arizona and the fact that the baseball field is also called a diamond.

Best hockey...the Pittsburgh Penguins. A play on words. "Pen" is the first syllable in Pennsylvania. The fact that penguins live on ice has to be the top animal nickname for a hockey team.

Best football?  There are a bunch equally as good, but none stand out enough for me to say its the best nickname.

So let the best football nickname be team you root for...go Browns!

No more baseball!

No....baseball is the perfect game.  People who understand the game, understand that.  There have only been a few big rule changes over the last 150 years.  After the 68 season, mounds were lowered from 15 inches to 10 inches.  I think that year, the year of the pitcher, Bob Gibson had a 1.something ERA, Denny McClain won 31 games, Don Drysdale pitched maybe 55 inning of consecutive scoreless baseball.  Too bad, it took out some of the great shorter pitchers like Whitey Ford.   After that, I guess the DH in the American League.  Those were the major changes league wide.  Teams fooled around.  If you had a slugging team, you moved the fences in 15 feet, if a pitching team, backed them up 15 feet, but everything has remained the same since the beginning.

Today, sure, strike zones have been reduced, you have replay now, relief pitchers have to pitch to 3 batters or whatever it is, but the basic rules and dimensions have remained the same since the 1800's.  Football on the other has changes their rules every friggen year.

• Upvote 1

IMO there is nothing wrong with having a team called the Indians, the Braves, or the Chiefs.  I see nothing wrong with the tomahawk chop while chanting the warpath chant....it's fans calling for a rally from the team.  I think it's kinda' cool.  - The Browns fans do dog barks....so what?

5 hours ago, Gorka said:

political-leaningd.png

Equally as ignorant 

4 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Yeah I knew you wouldn't like it. But I'll save all of us the trouble of us going down this rabbit hole again where I post stats on baseball's decline and you get angry

But you don’t post stats showing that. You just lie to yourself about those stats. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

The Cleveland Browns are a professional American football team based in Cleveland. Named after original coach and co-founder Paul Brown, they compete in the National Football League (NFL) as a member club of the American Football Conference (AFC) North division. The Browns play their home games at FirstEnergy Stadium, which opened in 1999,[8][9] with administrative offices and training facilities in Berea, Ohio. The Browns' official club colors are brown, orange, and white.[10] They are unique among the 32 member franchises of the NFL in that they do not have a logo on their helmets.

Wrong 

The Browns were named for Paul Brown, a man extremely popular in the area after leading Ohio State to a National Championship in 1942 and an amazing run with the Massillon Tigers prior. They were not named for Joe Louis, a boxer born in Alabama and from Detroit. Paul Brown eventually even admitted this. It was Art Modell, after his firing of Brown after the 1962 season, who pushed "the Browns were named after Joe Louis" narrative. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

14633019_997827357013311_825002549348319[/img]

He's Native American, first one to ever play professional baseball. He PLAYED FOR CLEVELAND They named the Indians after him, to honor his legacy. 

LouisMaybe or that’s a story that came up with retroactively to justify the name. Like with the Browns. They now want to make sure that you know that it’s named after Paul Brown not after Joe and the brown black person bomberLouis

5 minutes ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

He's Native American, first one to ever play professional baseball. He PLAYED FOR CLEVELAND They named the Indians after him, to honor his legacy. 

Sorry, that doesn't count......not exciting enough for a good fight to get rid of a 100 year old beloved team symbol.

GO TRIBE !  We love ya' !

On 7/5/2020 at 2:37 PM, MLD Woody said:

No more baseball!

I guess I'm not surprised. People like that are just social vandals in the first place so... I'm not positive why some people just want to fuck with the traditions of others just out of spite but I guess they exist.

I'm not a huge baseball fan but I do enjoy the tradition and the stories and a historical Saga. And football does seem ugly and graceless by comparison but so does the world.

But just in case the people leading the charge are serious I'll be glad to chip in a few bucks for Two Men and a Truck to come move their shit off Indian Land. You're welcome.

WSS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I'll go with one of the Browns historical works - Henkel's "Cleveland Browns History." Not wikipedia - too easy to edit.

Read the entire thing - Joe Louis has nothing to do with the name of the Browns.

OK well that’s bullshit because he did have something to do with the name of the Browns. He was Paul Brown’s excuse for claiming that they were not named after him. And while yes it’s true that he later recanted and said that the team was named after him that occurred like 35 years later after He founded the Bengals

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

LouisMaybe or that’s a story that came up with retroactively to justify the name. Like with the Browns. They now want to make sure that you know that it’s named after Paul Brown not after Joe and the brown black person bomberLouis

I really think you are wrong about the Joe Louis being the inspiration for the team name "Browns", but you could very well be right about this.

There's a strong argument to be made that the Sockalexis was the inspiration for the name "Indians" story is a bit of revisionist history. The story I tend to believe is a far less romantic one, that the Cleveland Naps needed a new nickname after they traded/released Napoleon Lajoie, and they chose "Indians" coming off the heels of the 1914 "Miracle Braves" World Series title, with the hope that karma would bless them too. It sounds silly, but teams back then picked names for odd reasons at times. Sports teams didn't have ten-person thinktanks deciding marketing issues. Plus, Sockalexis barely played for Cleveland nearly 20 years before. That would be like the Indians renaming the team in 2004 the "Bernazards" after mid-80s secondbaseman Tony Bernazard. 

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/mlb/indians/how-did-clevelands-baseball-team-end-up-with-the-name-indians-its-more-complicated-than-you-think/95-ccb53501-3e6c-4aa7-9b05-a08447e1b0ec?fbclid=IwAR3s3MFk6esJzAD5nR-MP3U7Jtk_ZKeWjyD723Cc_-WKW76glF3KtRip40s

3 hours ago, browns23 said:

Would renaming the Cleveland Indians to the Cleveland Tribe be an option? They are already called the Tribe as a nickname quite often.

Not entirely sure if this would be considered less offensive. At a minimum, it sounds better than Indians. 

I highly doubt the Indians are going to be named anything even in the same stratosphere of being even remotely Native American-themed.

Whatever. Cleveland is on the lake - Cleveland Walleyes Cleveland Fighting Fish.

Cleveland Shipwrecks.

wait, that last one is terrible. never mind.

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I really think you are wrong about the Joe Louis being the inspiration for the team name "Browns", but you could very well be right about this.

There's a strong argument to be made that the Sockalexis was the inspiration for the name "Indians" story is a bit of revisionist history. The story I tend to believe is a far less romantic one, that the Cleveland Naps needed a new nickname after they traded/released Napoleon Lajoie, and they chose "Indians" coming off the heels of the 1914 "Miracle Braves" World Series title, with the hope that karma would bless them too. It sounds silly, but teams back then picked names for odd reasons at times. Sports teams didn't have ten-person thinktanks deciding marketing issues. Plus, Sockalexis barely played for Cleveland nearly 20 years before. That would be like the Indians renaming the team in 2004 the "Bernazards" after mid-80s secondbaseman Tony Bernazard. 

Right. Joe Louis was not really the inspiration for the team name but he was the straw man to hide PBs vanity 

In these times, I am convinced the name will change to one that will NOT relate to Native Americans.

How about a name that is inanimate? Maybe "The Cleveland North Coasters" (oops..that may offend Cedar Point LOL). Maybe just the "North Coast", nickname "Coasters".

Mike