THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Indians Looking Into Changing Name

MLD Woody

If it happens, I'm putting money that they will become the Cleveland Spiders. The merchandising possibilities are endless.

I would root for the Cleveland Knights, though. Just use the uniforms from 'The Natural'. 

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

FSU, Atl, and rest will follow suit, and quickly. 

Nah, I think Florida State and Atlanta will be fine. FSU works alot with the native Seminole tribe and donates money to them regularly, while the Braves are actually using a positive moniker.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Don't forget the part where the people that complain about others being outraged will themselves be outraged but unable to see the irony 

I'm 52 and thought the Redskins was a weird name even when I was 12ish. 

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Don't forget the part where the people that complain about others being outraged will themselves be outraged but unable to see the irony 

5 minutes ago, nickers said:

This is PATHETIC... Our world is being run by SNOWFLAKES!...

That took 3 posts lol

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

This is PATHETIC... Our world is being run by SNOWFLAKES!...

Redskins is as flaky as I get. I myself hope the other Native American nicknames stay..... I'm just hoping they don't go after the Angels. 

Let's go Cleveland tough.....

......the CLEVELAND SIX PACKS !   Yeah baby !

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 11:59 PM, MLD Woody said:

That took 3 posts lol

Do you see what you're doing? You people always initiate being outraged...this time over sports names. The objections from those opposing name changes you then flip back on them and call it being "outraged" and worse "irony".  It doesn't work that way bud but good try.

Accept and fall in line with your outrage is what you're really saying. Aint happening.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Are people actually offended by the nickname 'Indians'?  

Next Cowboys will be banned because cows are offended that they're being called boys.

That's a reach. But the idea that liberal fucktards would want to tear down Grant's or Lincolns statue was also a reach.

But to your question...yes. By the same suspects that are offended by everything else.

But whether we as non Indians are offended or not is irrelevant. Getting rid of the name is not our call to make in my opinion.

My feeling is that if Native Americans are OK with it then I'm OK with it. If they're not then...

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:01 AM, D Bone said:

Redskins is as flaky as I get. I myself hope the other Native American nicknames stay..... I'm just hoping they don't go after the Angels. 

"Redskins" . That's the only one that's troublesome for me as well.

The more you ponder the name the nastier it sounds, unless you're thinking about potatoes.

The name has been around so long we think nothing of it. Hearing "Redskins" uttered and the fact that it's derogatory or racist never even enters our minds. Our attention is solely on the fact that it's a football team we're talking about.

But pretend the Redskins never existed. Would such a name be considered today for an expansion team ...to "honor" Native Americans? No way Jose, and its not because we're turning into a society of snowflakes, it's because it just sounds insulting no matter what your ideology.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Icecube said:

Just give them time: The Browns will be targeted. You can't be called "the Browns" because it will offend people with Brown skin.  

And theoretically they are called the Browns because of people with brown skin. Supposedly they’re called the browns after Joe the brown bomber Louis. Brown bomber for  the color of the skin

10 hours ago, Gorka said:

That's a reach. But the idea that liberal fucktards would want to tear down Grant's or Lincolns statue was also a reach.

But to your question...yes. By the same suspects that are offended by everything else.

But whether we as non Indians are offended or not is irrelevant. Getting rid of the name is not our call to make in my opinion.

My feeling is that if Native Americans are OK with it then I'm OK with it. If they're not then...

FYI many if not most are NOT OK with it 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

FYI many if not most are NOT OK with it 

I saw my first Cleveland INDIANS game at the Ol' Muni in 1959 when I was 8 years old.  I'll never forget the look and feel and yes smell of the old stadium, the field which looked enormous, the bigger than life Chief Wahoo on the outside of the stadium and everything else about it.  I still have the program from that game and every game since and that was a lot especially in the 70s and 80s not exactly the high point of INDIANS baseball history.

I saw a lot of Cleveland BROWNS games to who were much more successful during that same period.

YES there are some of us who will never get over calling them the Cleveland INDIANS after 62 or 42 or 22 years.

GO TRIBE !

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I saw my first Cleveland INDIANS game at the Ol' Muni in 1959 when I was 8 years old.  I'll never forget the look and feel and yes smell of the old stadium, the field which looked enormous, the bigger than life Chief Wahoo on the outside of the stadium and everything else about it.  I still have the program from that game and every game since and that was a lot especially in the 70s and 80s not exactly the high point of INDIANS baseball history.

I saw a lot of Cleveland BROWNS games to who were much more successful during that same period.

YES there are some of us who will never get over calling them the Cleveland INDIANS after 62 or 42 or 22 years.

GO TRIBE !

You're stirring memories! I saw my 1st game in 1953 when I was not quite 7. My favorite players were Bob Feller & Larry Doby. I have VIVID memories of walking to our seats, looking at that PERFECT grass.It was the most beautiful place this young kid had ever seen. I'll never forget that day & I'll aways remember them as my Indians no matter WHAT they name 'em.

I just wish Progressive Insurance would get smart & rename the ballpark .."Feller Field" courtesy of Progressive Insurance. IMHO it would be a FAR better name & I think it would actually enhance Progressive's image.

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

You're stirring memories! I saw my 1st game in 1953 when I was not quite 7. My favorite players were Bob Feller & Larry Doby. I have VIVID memories of walking to our seats, looking at that PERFECT grass.It was the most beautiful place this young kid had ever seen. I'll never forget that day & I'll aways remember them as my Indians no matter WHAT they name 'em.

I just wish Progressive Insurance would get smart & rename the ballpark .."Feller Field" courtesy of Progressive Insurance. IMHO it would be a FAR better name & I think it would actually enhance Progressive's image.

Mike

I'd love that too.... but Flo and PROGRESSIVE paid a lot of dough for naming rights for the old Jake...... we'll see.

.....edit add, could you ever imagine running on to the field as a kid, or even now the way they do it on Sundays ?  Good PR move, fans for life....like us.

• Upvote 1

Think on the bright side here guys:

- Baseball fans skew older. A lot of baseball fans are boomers. Etc

- Older people, boomers, etc. are more likely to be conservative 

- Conservatives are more likely to be outraged by this name change, leading to them boycotting the team/sport

- If older people are choosing not to watch baseball, that's a huge chunk of their fanbase

- If a huge chunk of the fanbase isn't watching, baseball will suffer financially

- If baseball suffers financially, it might go away!

No more baseball!

• Upvote 1