THE BROWNS BOARD

Washington Redskins

BrownsFan4Evr

I think what we are missing from all of this is once the Indians decided to go away from Chief Wahoo, what they realized is they no longer have a mascot (slider does not count). Personally, I hope they keep the name as it is incredibly generic (unlike redskins or braves) but I think its a losing battle in today's times. Other than the Block C (which I like but from a marketing standpoint is extremely boring and only so much you can do) they have nothing they can brand out with and sell. This is why I think the plan to change the name has been in the works for years. What's going on in today's times gives them the perfect opportunity to make the switch with the least amount of blowback. Yes, there are people who will swear off the team but when you average 15k people in the stands on a 93 win team, how loyal are your fans? They will find a way to negotiate to keep the trademarks on Indians and Chief Wahoo but ultimately this team name is going to change and this is why I believe Spiders is going to be the final answer. There is a connection to the teams history and even though they were bad, they did win a championship. It has tons of marketing and branding potential. It's not overused as a mascot or a symbol. They can call Progressive Field "the web" or whatever spider home you want. It's not tied to the Rock n Roll Hall of fame which we need to get away from as the "only" thing in Cleveland. Guardians is ok and has lots of freedom to design and a connection to the city but it sounds contrived. Long story short, it's all about the marketing potential and the ability to sell merchandise. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

Long story short, it's all about the marketing potential and the ability to sell merchandise. 

Won't anyone think of the precious feelings of KKKonservatives who don't buy anything?  When will the oppressed white republicans catch a break?

Of course this has become a MAGA issue -- MAGA has always meant "No Speech For Anyone Who Disagrees" - because if they don't acknowledge it, it doesn't exist!  And, in my best Tucker Carlson, I have no interest in the motivations or actual purpose of anyone who doesn't agree with me on everything!

9 out of 10 times, a call for "Freedom" is really a call for being able to be an Ahole without repercussion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

9 out of 10 times, a call for "Freedom" is really a call for being able to be an Ahole without repercussion.

^^^^^^^You've just described the liberal Democrats precisely.

CycNq6zXEAARKMG.jpg:large 

As for the name change....I think it's ridiculous to change the name of a team after 100 years in existence. 

2 hours ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

^^^^^^^You've just described the liberal Democrats precisely.

CycNq6zXEAARKMG.jpg:large 

As for the name change....I think it's ridiculous to change the name of a team after 100 years in existence. 

The team actually has gone through like three name changes. They were the naps the blues the Broncos and something else. Projection much?

31 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

If most of you clowns invested half as much time actually working on high level x's and o's as you did repeating yourselves and bitching in this thread - this would be possibly the finest football forum on the internet.

Sorry but I think that would be boring to tears. No offense to your technical knowledge but high level X’s and O’s Is wholly esoteric and uninteresting to the common fan. 

Other Cleveland teams were the Babes the Spiders the Blues the Forest Cities and the Wanderers. Maybe we could give them a rock band name. Maybe one from northeast Ohio. The Raspberries the Black Keys. The Ojay’s. The Outsiders the Devos. The James Gang. The Pretenders. Anything else?  The Burning Rivers The Roller Coasters 

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

If most of you clowns invested half as much time actually working on high level x's and o's as you did repeating yourselves and bitching in this thread - this would be possibly the finest football forum on the internet.

I go right to the best sources to do my research for me, you and Tour with occasional contributions from other knowledgeable fans, like my coaching son.🤣

10 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

I think what we are missing from all of this is once the Indians decided to go away from Chief Wahoo, what they realized is they no longer have a mascot (slider does not count). Personally, I hope they keep the name as it is incredibly generic (unlike redskins or braves) but I think its a losing battle in today's times. Other than the Block C (which I like but from a marketing standpoint is extremely boring and only so much you can do) they have nothing they can brand out with and sell. This is why I think the plan to change the name has been in the works for years. What's going on in today's times gives them the perfect opportunity to make the switch with the least amount of blowback. Yes, there are people who will swear off the team but when you average 15k people in the stands on a 93 win team, how loyal are your fans? They will find a way to negotiate to keep the trademarks on Indians and Chief Wahoo but ultimately this team name is going to change and this is why I believe Spiders is going to be the final answer. There is a connection to the teams history and even though they were bad, they did win a championship. It has tons of marketing and branding potential. It's not overused as a mascot or a symbol. They can call Progressive Field "the web" or whatever spider home you want. It's not tied to the Rock n Roll Hall of fame which we need to get away from as the "only" thing in Cleveland. Guardians is ok and has lots of freedom to design and a connection to the city but it sounds contrived. Long story short, it's all about the marketing potential and the ability to sell merchandise. 

You absolutely nailed it. 

Once the Indians became a team you couldn't really market, really couldn't merchandise, it was just a matter of time before the Dolans (or anyone who owned the team) was going to go another direction. Personally, I get why Chief Wahoo was nixed. I've made this argument for years... if the Cleveland baseball team had been renamed in the 1950s or 60s the "Negroes" in honor of Larry Doby, would in any universe a black version of Chief Wahoo made it to 2018? Basically, Sambo on a hat? No way in hell. Now the "Indians" name? I can somewhat understand why people would be confused by the need to eliminate such a bland name. I can almost see this argument, honestly. 

I would be really surprised if they don't become the Spiders. There's a historical connection to Cleveland, it's unique (I can only think of the U of Richmond having that name), and that's a potential merchandising goldmine. Hell, Spiderman is blue and red... they wouldn't even have to change the current colors. 😁

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

^ Microcosm for the USA.... Gee, what's the worst that could happen? 

I'm afraid to really ask.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I'm afraid to really ask.

First I put a laughy face, then was like "Shit, it's not funny". Then I put a cryie face and thought, "Nope, that makes it seem like I've accepted it and I'm sad"... So you just got an upvotie thing. 

On 7/8/2020 at 9:47 PM, Gorka said:

Yeah you're awesome.  Did ya have the kid with your cousin or daughter?

Nah, your old lady. I boxed her tits like tyson fury. She begged me for more but I was tired of smacking them around. She told me you never get her going like I do, it's probably why she calls all the time. I can give you some tips if you still aren't getting it done. Hell if the price is right I can even make you a mold of my dick. You will have to pull some sleight of hand shit off but it might just work for you. Mini gork

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2020 at 7:45 PM, Icecube said:

Word is they will be called the "Warriors." 

'Warriors' has been rumored down here for months..also gaining noise is moving back to RFK stadium downtown DC... Good luck fighting that traffic 🤦‍♂️ 

On 7/9/2020 at 7:45 PM, Icecube said:

Word is they will be called the "Warriors." 

They won't be called "warriors" - too many right wingers are fans of that team.

Right-wing Karens who can't get along with people and call the cops every time they're mildly inconvenienced aren't "warriors" unless they're fighting a mobility scooter.

• Haha 1

You don't have to agree with my politics. I don't have to agree with yours. The Browns have brought us together. We can get politics anywhere; that's the unfortunate way of the world.

I don't like that the mob mentality overtaking everything. 

With that said, I read in either a CBSSports or Yahoo Sports article that someone suggested The Code Talkers and I thought that name was awesome! What those men did for this Nation and the honor it would pay to them could not be argued. I have also read Redtails, which would be in honor of another group of courageous men that served.

2 hours ago, AP1 said:

I don't like that the mob mentality overtaking everything

Incorrect. "The Mob" has been saying this FOR DECADES.  Your lack of knowledge isn't anyone else's problem.

You need a thicker skin.  Nothing about the staffing is changing.  After all, you only care about the football, right? 

If that's actually the case, then this wouldn't be an issue for you.  Ron Rivera still has Haskins at QB and McLaurin at WR.

Since you DO have a problem, however..... the actual problem you have is explicitly part of "politics".

Pro Tip: You don't possess All Knowledge.  When you attempt to label everyone who takes an opposing view "The Mob" ... you deserve to get slapped down.

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Incorrect. "The Mob" has been saying this FOR DECADES.  Your lack of knowledge isn't anyone else's problem.

You need a thicker skin.  Nothing about the staffing is changing.  After all, you only care about the football, right? 

If that's actually the case, then this wouldn't be an issue for you.  Ron Rivera still has Haskins at QB and McLaurin at WR.

Since you DO have a problem, however..... the actual problem you have is explicitly part of "politics".

Pro Tip: You don't possess All Knowledge.  When you attempt to label everyone who takes an opposing view "The Mob" ... you deserve to get slapped down.

Your response indicates you may be the one with thin skin. 

Go Browns.

• Upvote 3

It’s a tough time to be a conservative: rejected by the physical and biological worlds, they are increasingly rejected by the social consensus as well.

But there is good news: they don’t have to believe wrong things!  Conservatives do have the freedom to, you know, face facts.

Of course, that might make them liberals.

Just visited a Skins fan forum via a friend..Don't bother! They're Butt-hurt....Anywho? Warriors/Redtails/Redhawks or Red Wolves👀 seems to be the going thing...even logo & uni idea's..Slight fan favorite?.... Red Wolves*

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Just visited a Skins fan forum via a friend..Don't bother! They're Butt-hurt....Anywho? Warriors/Redtails/Redhawks or Red Wolves👀 seems to be the going thing...even logo & uni idea's..Slight fan favorite?.... Red Wolves*

Why would they have to be red something?