Jump to content
BrownsFan4Evr

Washington Redskins

Recommended Posts

Congrats! You probably have a "I paid 100 grand for my kid's college and all I got is this" T-shirt.. 

Cornell is basically the Ivy to go to for science if Harvard isn't your thing.. easily the one for engineering.  Interesting that the one which gets the least publicity [4 of Cornell's colleges are state schools, it's all considered a NY land grant school] is at or tied for the best for quality of education.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a free 12yrs of public education and then got my contractors license.... and from the state of California no less! (and with it came a VERY nice life). Do I win the game of look at me?

If not, I sent my daughter (the 1st in my family to ever go away to college and receive a BS) to get her DPT at the #9 PT school on the planet in Melbourne Australia.

Hey, this is fun! 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I received a free 12yrs of public education and then got my contractors license.... and from the state of California no less! (and with it came a VERY nice life). Do I win the game of look at me?

If not, I sent my daughter (the 1st in my family to ever go away to college and receive a BS) to get her DPT at the #9 PT school on the planet in Melbourne Australia.

Hey, this is fun! 

 

Now might be the best time in my 70 year lifespan to seriously become a skilled craftsman and come out with virtually no student debt and make some serious good lifetime money.

All of the older WWII era craftsman are basically gone, the contractors that I know just can not find good dependable qualified help.

My next door neighbor is a GC with a civil engineering degree and is having trouble just bidding jobs.  Another carpenter that owns his own business (who is finishing remodeling our house) is in the same boat.  They bid out jobs and hope if they get the job they will have enough craftsmen to finish it up right.

If you don't want to do the 4 year route and maybe grad school study hard and get a good craft.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Now might be the best time in my 70 year lifespan to seriously become a skilled craftsman and come out with virtually no student debt and make some serious good lifetime money.

All of the older WWII era craftsman are basically gone, the contractors that I know just can not find good dependable qualified help.

My next door neighbor is a GC with a civil engineering degree and is having trouble just bidding jobs.  Another carpenter that owns his own business (who is finishing remodeling our house) is in the same boat.  They bid out jobs and hope if they get the job they will have enough craftsmen to finish it up right.

If you don't want to do the 4 year route and maybe grad school study hard and get a good craft.

I love it. My grandpa was a GC, then my dad, then me. I was born into it and still love it. I did have about $1,200 in total educational debt when I took my license course and state test, but I somehow toughed my way through it, and quickly bought my 1st SoCal home when I was 20..... 20!

I'm 52 now and COVID has forced my family and I to make drastic changes, and now it's just me running the show and I'm slowly but continually making progress now that CA has reopened up much of my work. 

I will never have any type of golden handshake or pension like a lot of people will, but my SoCal properties will take the sting out of that. My biggest issue since graduating high school in '85? Health insurance. My wife works for the state for the sole purpose of health insurance.

I'm a walking billboard for surgery with 11 total and 8 of them since 1999.... Motocross is awesome, but gravity is a bitch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Washington Monuments 

Washington Orangeskins. 

Every halftime show is Russian hookers peeing on the team's mascot. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skilled trades are desperately needed. I don't remember them really ever being seriously discussed as an option when I was in high school. Maybe some stuff about vocational things like Polaris. 

There is a huge shortage of machine repair, electricians, millwrights, etc in manufacturing. When we do hire one they're generally older. I think getting in as an electrician apprentice would be a really good gig. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I knew there was a reason we were getting along ...

He went to Cornell not Mich. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody goes into many of those fields these days because if you go look online at the indeed/monster jobs, they're trying to pay under minimum wage for a CNC operator with 5 yrs of experience.. that's not even in the right zip code let alone the ballpark for that role.

Plumbing/HVAC is another good skilled trade.

For all of these, however: The problem isn't "we need STEM" .. US has always had more than plenty of STEM graduates -- they just go into other fields because US companies don't create attractive jobs.  Remember the last time you heard that slogan "Where are all the well-paying job openings?" Me neither.

 

MBA's forgot to read the next page in the textbook after "decrease labor costs" -- you don't get to decrease the hourly rate of competent people, they'll find something else and then the company gets precisely zero people interested in completing the task they were trying to cram down wages on.  If you want any task done right the first time, you're going to have to pay for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He went to Cornell not Mich. 

Yes I got that from your post that said Cornell 12 times

 

... I was referring to the fact we're both engineers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Nobody goes into many of those fields these days because if you go look online at the indeed/monster jobs, they're trying to pay under minimum wage for a CNC operator with 5 yrs of experience.. that's not even in the right zip code let alone the ballpark for that role.

Plumbing/HVAC is another good skilled trade.

For all of these, however: The problem isn't "we need STEM" .. US has always had more than plenty of STEM graduates -- they just go into other fields because US companies don't create attractive jobs.  Remember the last time you heard that slogan "Where are all the well-paying job openings?" Me neither.

 

MBA's forgot to read the next page in the textbook after "decrease labor costs" -- you don't get to decrease the hourly rate of competent people, they'll find something else and then the company gets precisely zero people interested in completing the task they were trying to cram down wages on.  If you want any task done right the first time, you're going to have to pay for it.

Do you work within manufacturing? Just curious because it sounds like you might have some insight.

I still think there are opportunities for more STEM grads, but regardless, I think STEM coursework should be emphasized more. Our country lacks in scientific literacy. 

We pay most of our CNC operators relatively low (but still starting high teens). Most of them are just button pushers, as you alluded to. The setup operators, the ones tasked with troubleshooting as well, are paid better. Truly skilled CNC operators, with programming and CAD ability are highly paid. 

In regards to the last paragraph, that path ends with automation. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Yes I got that from your post that said Cornell 12 times

 

... I was referring to the fact we're both engineers

Oh OK drive those trains. 🚀🚝🚆🚄🚅Have you seen snow piercer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I put 6 children through college. 3 boys and 3 girls.  Cedarville University, Toleo, U., Miami U., Youngstown U., and 2 at Kent State. Oldest daughter has a mathematics degree and has a government office job in Virginia for a company  that builds ships for the military.

https://nns.huntingtoningalls.com/

 

My  other two daughters are an occupational therapist, and an R.N. Two sons are data migration consultants with their own companies, and other son is a high school teacher and coach in Connecticut. Not one liberal in the bunch.  I think we did alright.  Since we're bragging!  LOL

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with working your way through YSU I did it twice nothing wrong with $0 in student loans either.

I had four younger brothers and wasn't going to hit my parents up with my education.....they spent enough on my brothers as it was.

I was able to buy a house each time I graduated, something today's students can't even think about with the tuition and especially room and room and board costs.

The stories I heard from nursing and med students in my recent hospital visits were shocking on their loan debts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

My wife and I put 6 children through college. 3 boys and 3 girls.  Cedarville University, Toleo, U., Miami U., Youngstown U., and 2 at Kent State. 85 TOLEDO grad myself..what year did yours?

 

Oldest daughter has a mathematics degree and has a government office job in Virginia for a company  that builds ships for the military. 

And I just want to build the Boats;) Easy travel from NC..have her do the math & hire me! 🚢 😂

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

My wife and I put 6 children through college. 3 boys and 3 girls.  Cedarville University, Toleo, U., Miami U., Youngstown U., and 2 at Kent State. Oldest daughter has a mathematics degree and has a government office job in Virginia for a company  that builds ships for the military.

https://nns.huntingtoningalls.com/

 

My  other two daughters are an occupational therapist, and an R.N. Two sons are data migration consultants with their own companies, and other son is a high school teacher and coach in Connecticut. Not one liberal in the bunch.  I think we did alright.  Since we're bragging!  LOL

I suspect you probably have no clue whether or not they are liberal or not. Mine are both like me pretty center of the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Washington Orangeskins. 

Every halftime show is Russian hookers peeing on the team's mascot. 

Post of the month.😂

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I suspect you probably have no clue whether or not they are liberal or not. Mine are both like me ......... (Then I feel sorry for them)

Since we talk politics and other issues all the time, I know my children's views on things. We all share the same values.  I always suspected you were a just being annoying, and now you just proved it. Time to ignore you, because clearly.......

jerk.jpg?fit=530,353&ssl=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always get a good laugh and a eye roll when people indicate how old they are. I'm always shocked that some of you are old enough to have kids let alone put them through college. A few of you act like giant fucking man babies. It's remarkable. I have a 6 year old and I'm fucking awesome. Right, gipper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BrownsFan4Evr said:

Since we talk politics and other issues all the time, I know my children's views on things. We all share the same values.  I always suspected you were a just being annoying, and now you just proved it. Time to ignore you, because clearly.......

jerk.jpg?fit=530,353&ssl=1

Fucktard   Snowflake 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

I always get a good laugh and a eye roll when people indicate how old they are. I'm always shocked that some of you are old enough to have kids let alone put them through college. A few of you act like giant fucking man babies. It's remarkable. I have a 6 year old and I'm fucking awesome. Right, gipper?

Your children will be Browns fanYour children will be Browns fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Your children will be Browns fanYour children will be Browns fan

Never going to happen. He already dislikes the Patriots and he knows we don't roll with that shit brown. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I always get a good laugh and a eye roll when people indicate how old they are. I'm always shocked that some of you are old enough to have kids let alone put them through college. A few of you act like giant fucking man babies. It's remarkable. I have a 6 year old and I'm fucking awesome. Right, gipper?

Yeah you're awesome.  Did ya have the kid with your cousin or daughter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Your children will be Browns fanYour children will be Browns fan

Ohio children are more inclined to become Steeler fans than Pa. children are inclined to become Browns fans. The inconvenient truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 6:43 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Washington Orangeskins. 

 

Then watch you deranged liberal fgts try to impeach a duly established football team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Ohio children are more inclined to become Steeler fans than Pa. children are inclined to become Browns fans. The inconvenient truth.

Vag lives in like Columbus 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 2:30 PM, TopDawg31 said:

Not so sure the name Indians is considered offensive but what do I know? nothing offends me.

I would doubt "Indian" is offensive to Native Americans- unless they're on the Omar-AOC nut job fringe.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/07/the-cleveland-indians-changing-their-name-i-dont-like-it-i-also-understand-it-i-guess-terry-pluto.html

Virtually every religious based school I'm aware of that teaches Native Americans has the word "Indian" in it.  St. Joseph's (Lakota Sioux), St. Stephens (Arapaho), St Bonaventure (Navajo), St Labre (Northern Cheyenne)...  Then there's the Wind River Indian Reservation & many others..... Um, some other name you'd like us to call you instead?  

Sorry- changing the Indians name is going overboard on the PC scale- we got rid of Chief Wahoo to appease the radicals.... 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gorka said:

Then watch you deranged liberal fgts try to impeach a duly established football team.

Someone knows the Captain Bonespur's Reign of Errors is coming to an end soon, and is very, very cranky. 🤣

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Someone knows the Captain Bonespur's Reign of Errors is coming to an end soon, and is very, very cranky. 🤣

1339.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Vag lives in like Columbus 

Well there you go. He was a child once.

And sorta still is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×