THE BROWNS BOARD

Washington Redskins

BrownsFan4Evr

Look out the INDIANS and Braves will be up next if the Redskins are gone.

Ryan Young

Ryan YoungWriter
Yahoo SportsJuly 2, 2020, 6:36 PM EDT

.......FedEx isn’t alone in pressuring the team to change its name, either. Eighty-seven investors and shareholders, reportedly worth a combined $620 billion, signed a letter on Wednesday urging Nike, FedEx and PepsiCo to end their relationships with the team. A Native American group called for players to boycott the season over the name last weekend.

Several politicians and Washington, D.C. officials also made it clear that the team needs a new name if it wants to move into a new stadium in D.C. — something Snyder wants to do when his current lease at FedExField expires in 2027.........more in link........

There's a lot more than just the Redskins name involved here.

Washington owner Dan Snyder can't build new stadium at RFK site unless team changes its name

Chris Cwik
July 2, 2020, 1:01 PM EDT

The pressure is on Washington football team owner Dan Snyder to change the team’s name. While calls to change the team’s name have existed for years, the situation escalated Wednesday, as officials told Snyder he couldn’t build a new stadium on the RFK site unless the team changes its name, according to the Washington Post.

That ultimatum comes courtesy of U.S. Rep. Raúl M. Grijalva, according to The Post.

Grijalva, whose committee oversees the Department of the Interior and the National Park Service, which owns the land, called the prospect of a Redskins stadium on the site a “non-starter,” both for him and the Democratic caucus, given the objections to what he called a “racist nickname” as well as strong views about how to honor the legacy of Robert F. Kennedy, who championed social justice and inclusion, in any development of the site.

“The time [for the name] has ended,” Grijalva said. “There is no way to justify it. You either step into this century or you don’t. It’s up to the owner of the team to do that.”

Other officials backed Grijalva’s statement, including Congresswoman Elenor Holmes Norton and Deputy Mayor John Falcicchio. Mayor Muriel Bowser has also indicated she’s in favor of the team changing its name.

Snyder is looking to move the team to another location once its lease with FedEx Field expires in 2027. It’s assumed Snyder is looking to build the new stadium at the RFK site. The franchise used to play at RFK Stadium, leaving in 1996 to move to FedEx Field.

In March 2019, a bill was introduced that would sell the land around RFK to Washington, D.C. Residents and officials would then be allowed to determine how that land would be used. Snyder wants to build a new stadium, and has tried to pass legislation making it easier for him to get his wish.......more in link......

It was only a matter of time... and we better hope Paul Brown doesn't have a single skeleton in that closet of his, or the mob will have them squarely in their sights too. 

^ and before you think it not possible, you better open those eyes and look around. 

This is an interesting "the more things change, the more they stay the same" story.

In 1962 Robert Kennedy placed an ultimatum on the Redskin's owner George Preston Marshall - a known racist and the reason the NFL excluded blacks for years - that if his team didn't add a black player to their roster, the Redskins could not play in the new stadium that eventually would be named after RFK. The Redskins drafted black RB Ernie Davis from Syracuse, Davis refused to play for Marshall, so they traded him to the Browns for future HOF Bobby Mitchell, also an African-American.

Now the Redskins owner Dan Snyder wants to leave his perfectly fine stadium to build a new stadium on the site of RFK Stadium, but might not be able to unless the team changes its nickname. 

• Thanks 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/washington-owner-dan-snyder-says-team-will-review-nickname-151144104.html

Washington owner Dan Snyder announces team will review nickname

In a move that was long past due, Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder announced Friday the team will undergo a “thorough review of the team’s name.”

The team said it has been discussing internally a name change with the league in recent weeks.

Snyder said in a statement:

“This process allows the team to take into account not only the proud tradition and history of the franchise but also input from our alumni, the organization, sponsors, the National Football League and the local community is proud to represent on and off the field.”

Head coach Ron Rivera said in a statement it was an “issue of personal importance to me and I look forward to working closely with Dan Snyder to make sure we continue the mission of honoring and supporting Native Americans and our Military.”

In a separate statement, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed the discussions and said, “We are supportive of this important step.”

The announcement comes after weeks of pressure for the team to change it.

Winds of change had been blowing for Washington

For years, Snyder had bluntly rejected any and all calls for him to change the team name. Snyder went so far as to declare he would “never,” in all caps, change the name in 2013.

So what changed on a topic where Native American protesters, the White House and the United Nations Human Rights Council found only deaf ears? In a word: money.

Two of the team’s biggest financial partners signaled they wanted a name change. FedEx, which owns the naming rights to the team’s stadium, recently revealed it informed the team it wanted to see a new name at FedEx Field. Nike, the league’s official uniform supplier, did more showing than telling when it wiped the team’s products from its online store.

The District of Columbia found its own arm to twist when several politicians said that the team being able to move back to the District of Columbia from Landover, Maryland would be contingent on a name change. The team’s lease at FedEx Field remains intact until 2027 and D.C. is just one of three possible states/districts the team could build its next home in, but it still likely carried some weight.

This was all seemingly precipitated by racial inequality taking center stage in American politics following the killing of George Floyd. What was once seen as acceptable by many was pointed out as problematic. Even NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has released a statement saying Black lives matter and admitting the league was wrong for not listening to player protests.

In that climate, enough gears started turning for Snyder to at least listen.

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Not so sure the name Indians is considered offensive but what do I know? nothing offends me.

7 minutes ago, TopDawg31 said:

Not so sure the name Indians is considered offensive but what do I know? nothing offends me.

I don't think it's the name "Indians" per se, but the idea that Native Americans are used for mascots, team names, etc when they've been marginalized for centuries that is not cared for by some. 

If the Indians stay in Cleveland for years to come (and I'm on record thinking this will NOT happen) I won't be surprised if they change their nickname. A lot of people already are assuming a future where Cleveland's MLB team will be known as the "Cleveland Spiders", a nod to the old National League Cleveland team. (That's just speculation mind you on the nickname, of course) If the Indians leave Cleveland, I imagine whoever the owners are will use this move as an excuse to change the nickname. Either way, I'm 44 years old... and I highly doubt the name "Indians" outlives me. 

4 hours ago, D Bone said:

or the mob will have them squarely in their sights

Paul Brown was one of the first 2 coaches in the NFL to roster a black player - in 1946, one year before Jackie Robinson.  He didn't roster one, he rostered two. Yes, the Browns actually were one of the first two teams to "Break the Color Barrier" in the NFL.

Those guys are on my roster in any era - Marion Motley and Bill Willis.

I'm not shocked you can't be bothered to learn the real history of the Browns before trying to run your racist BS on this forum.  Facts don't care about your feelings.

Don't like getting called out? Then delete your account, baby boy. 

Or keep it on the political forum where you'll be welcomed and encouraged to hate tangible actions! Instead, you can just repeat syllables and tell yourself that Perfect Racial Harmony (tm) has already been achieved and therefore no behavior changes are needed from The Way It Was In 1863.  You know, a Republican!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TopDawg31 said:

This is also a game well sort of of "who's got the hammer" and right now black lives and minorities in general have it.....and intend on using it.

It will be very interesting to see what laws and other changes like tearing down statues and renaming sports teams actually happen and for how long.

This is all going on with a pandemic brewing in the background, 2020 has been one hell of a year.....so far.

27 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

This is also a game

Red-lining isn't a game.

Lynching isn't a game.

Poll taxes aren't a game.

Jim Crow isn't a game.

The single greatest act of racial violence in American history? Yep, white mobs destroying black businesses and killing black people.

And you call it "A Game" when they as a people have in fact had enough - nationwide?

If you don't like it, deport yourself.  After all, that's the same phrase your favorite TV channel loves to say!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Red-lining isn't a game.

Lynching isn't a game.

Poll taxes aren't a game.

Jim Crow isn't a game.

The single greatest act of racial violence in American history? Yep, white mobs destroying black businesses and killing black people.

And you call it "A Game" when they as a people have in fact had enough - nationwide?

If you don't like it, deport yourself.  After all, that's the same phrase your favorite TV channel loves to say!

This is what I said in it's entirety and with no value judgements of any kind.

....."This is also a game well sort of of "who's got the hammer" and right now black lives and minorities in general have it.....and intend on using it."......

If I were them I'd probably do the same thing.  OK?  

Just now, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Poor sensitive pussies.

11/3/2019 DieHardBrownsFan said:

"I'm reporting this to you because I want you because I want you to ban me. Fuck this place. I liked your husband by the way. Sayonara." 

🤣

24 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Oh since you opened this can of worms what is my favorite TV channel ?    I'll bet you are completely wrong.

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Paul Brown was one of the first 2 coaches in the NFL to roster a black player - in 1946, one year before Jackie Robinson.  He didn't roster one, he rostered two. Yes, the Browns actually were one of the first two teams to "Break the Color Barrier" in the NFL.

Those guys are on my roster in any era - Marion Motley and Bill Willis.

I'm not shocked you can't be bothered to learn the real history of the Browns before trying to run your racist BS on this forum.  Facts don't care about your feelings.

Don't like getting called out? Then delete your account, baby boy. 

Or keep it on the political forum where you'll be welcomed and encouraged to hate tangible actions! Instead, you can just repeat syllables and tell yourself that Perfect Racial Harmony (tm) has already been achieved and therefore no behavior changes are needed from The Way It Was In 1863.  You know, a Republican!

Holy shit!! lol

I simply said "lets hope he doesn't have any skeletons in his closet".... cause we all have em... even YOU. 

I never said a bad word about the man, but you couldn't wait to get a poundin' on that key board to call me a racist, a baby boy (that made me lol) and hoping I delete my account so you could claim a Cancel victory.

You need to get a girlfriend, or boyfriend... not that there's anything wrong with that. (I'm sure that last part flew right over your head) 

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/

Joint Berkeley and Michigan study on how Native Americans view the name Redskins, and other sport mascot issues. More comprehensive than other studies that have been brought up on this, as it's a peer reviewed published academic paper and not just an online poll by a newspaper.

12 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Slow down Unsympathetic.... Geez. Came out swinging and there wasn't anyone looking to fight 

Must be the COVID-19 environment we're in now some people just come out swinging when they think that they heard a bell.

Relax.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/3/2020 at 10:00 AM, BrownsFan4Evr said:

Now Fedex is demanding the Redskins change their name.....this is getting really stupid.

You act like this is a new controversy. People have taken issue with that team name for decades. If you were native American I'm sure you'd have an issue with it. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Ryan Young

Ryan YoungWriter
Yahoo SportsJuly 2, 2020, 6:36 PM EDT

.......FedEx isn’t alone in pressuring the team to change its name, either. Eighty-seven investors and shareholders, reportedly worth a combined $620 billion, signed a letter on Wednesday urging Nike, FedEx and PepsiCo to end their relationships with the team. A Native American group called for players to boycott the season over the name last weekend.

Several politicians and Washington, D.C. officials also made it clear that the team needs a new name if it wants to move into a new stadium in D.C. — something Snyder wants to do when his current lease at FedExField expires in 2027.........more in link........

Don't forget the Braves and the Fla Seminoles , too!

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

You act like this is a new controversy. Peolle have taken issue with that team name for decades. If you were native American I'm sure you'd have an issue with it. 

No....no, I wouldn't. You can quit posting like you know what I would feel.

Washington Generals.   Minute Men.  Rough Riders.  

The Washington Clerks.  Hair-Dressers, The Washington WIMPS  (weakly interacting massive particles)