Jump to content
The Gipper

Career Assessment Time

Recommended Posts

These 3 guys came into the league at the same time.    All are at or near the end of their careers.   Assess their careers:

Att/Comp/pct:    Ben Roethlisberger:   4651/7230,  64.3%;    Phillip Rivers  4908/7591  64.7 %;   Eli Manning:  4895/8119  60.3%

Yards:     BR: 56,454;  Rivers  59,271,  Eli 57,023

TDs:  BR  363;  Rivers  397;  Eli  366

Ints:  BR  191,   Rivers  198,  Eli  244

YPA/YPC/YPG:   BR  7.8,  12.1, 259.4    Rivers:  7.8,  12.1,  260.0;   Eli: 7.0, 11.6, 241.6

QB rating:   BR 94.0;   Rivers  95.1;  Eli  84.1

Sacks:   BR  503;   Rivers  445;   Eli  411

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BR 2 SB's HOF

EM 2 SB's HOF

PR incomplete career..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Career Assessment Time.  How fitting!  Today is the first day of my eleventh year at my place of employment.  Congrats to me.  :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been down this Rabbit Hole before.

Obviously The Perv is a first Ballot HOF.

Manning is an above average QB with two SB trophies.

Rivers is an excellent QB with no SB trophies.

So it depends on where you want to put the emphasis on those two. I'd much rather have Rivers than Manning on my team.

Zombo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also look at the teams they've been on over their careers, the better teams over time do boost quarterback numbers.

And on the flip side quarterbacks performance can help team performance over time.

One thing too their career numbers are pretty close separated maybe by SB trophies.

I would say BR had the most consistent good talent to work with EM kind of up and down talent but PR is the hardest to judge he's had decent talent surrounding him -but- not the results to show for it....some maybe his fault.

As far as who I would take as a starter 1. BR  2. EM  3. PR.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eli’s two clutch Super Bowl moments (as an underdog) coupled with good numbers and a long career put him in the HOF. I’m saying 5-7 years after the fact but his NY market and good guy persona will Get him in sooner than that.

Ben is ahead of Eli in the pecking order. 

Rivers is essentially Marino and I s the perfect comparison when arguing for his induction. If you have a place for Marino you have a place for Rivers.  Rivers will likely surpass Marino in TDS and yards this season.  And He had a much better QBR

All three are in 

All in their respective primes:

 If I needed a QB to win a big game I’m going with Manning (he beat an unblemished Patriot team in the SB).

if it is Sunday week 1 and I’m picking a QB to play out the year give me Ben.

if I have no running game and a shaky defense and I need my QB to put up video game numbers and put the ball up a lot give me Rivers 

If i went back into time and had to redraft the three I probably flip the order 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Also look at the teams they've been on over their careers, the better teams over time do boost quarterback numbers.

And on the flip side quarterbacks performance can help team performance over time.

One thing too their career numbers are pretty close separated maybe by SB trophies.

I would say BR had the most consistent good talent to work with EM kind of up and down talent but PR is the hardest to judge he's had decent talent surrounding him -but- not the results to show for it....some maybe his fault.

As far as who I would take as a starter 1. BR  2. EM  3. PR.    

BR also won THREE conference championships, to PR zero. EM played out of his mind in the 2 SB runs, but he was pretty below average many of his other seasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BR slightly above PR talent wise from what I’ve seen. Maybe has to do with surrounding cast. EM just doesn’t have the talent those two have IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I can't stand Big Ben, he's clearly the best QB of the 3. His blemish, if it is one at all, is the Steelers just couldn't beat the Patriots. BB out coached Tomlin despite having less talent. 

Good call on the Rivers-Marino comparison SDBacker.

Eli was solid but not spectacular. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go Roethlisberger, Rivers and then Manning. Manning has had a strange career... stretches of mediocrity sprinkled with brilliant playoff performances. He's getting into the HOF on the back of the two Super Bowl titles.

But they all pale in comparison with Kellen Winslow Jr. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zombo said:

Been down this Rabbit Hole before.

Obviously The Perv is a first Ballot HOF.

Manning is an above average QB with two SB trophies.

Rivers is an excellent QB with no SB trophies.

So it depends on where you want to put the emphasis on those two. I'd much rather have Rivers than Manning on my team.

Zombo

Rivers never had the defenses that Manning and BR had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Rivers never had the defenses that Manning and BR had. 

But Rivers May have had the best team of any of the three with the 2006 Chargers.

He was bad and A boneheaded defensive play....and a 14-2 team lost at home in the divisional round to the Pats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BR Sucks. Fuck him and his cheap ass team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Rivers never had the defenses that Manning and BR had. 

Good point, your defense greatly helps your field position, clock management and other small but important things in winning a game.

No fun always starting to play from inside your own 20 yard line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×