THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Coach Hints At Position Change For Kareem Hunt

Vambo

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-coach-hints-at-position-change-for-kareem-hunt/

Cleveland Browns new WR coach Chad O’Shea hinted at a recent press conference that Kareem Hunt could be a WR threat in 2020.

Though new to Cleveland, O’Shea has worked with Head Coach Kevin Stefanski in the past in Minnesota, and each admires the other’s work ethic.

While the majority of the virtual press conference focused on the recovery of star WRs Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr., O’Shea did entertain a series of questions about Kareem Hunt’s role in the passing game.

O’Shea commented that he has admired Hunt’s work as a dual-threat but stopped short of saying that Hunt could beat out Rashard Higgins or rookie Donovan Peoples-Jones and line up as the 3rd WR.

But he did say that Hunt has been participating in virtual meetings with the WRs.

Before we read too much into this, it should be noted that a lot of crossovers are occurring among position players in the Zoom meetings.

Weeks ago, it was reported that Baker Mayfield is sitting in on RB and WR Zoom meetings.

O’Shea admits this is one of the positive elements to come from this year’s preparations.

If players were in the building, they may not necessarily have the time or opportunity to jump into these meetings.

Just now, Icecube said:

Hunt will be a RB this season. 

Yeah.  I wouldn't read too much into it.  But it IS cool (and smart) how they sit in on other position meetings.   

...I don't see anything wrong with having a play where Hunt shifts out wide.

For many teams their #2 receiver by #catches is a RB - Patriots and Jets last season just for 2 examples.  Texans used Duke as a WR last season even though he's listed as a RB.

Note, of course, that the same shifting that other teams do is so foreign to us that this is even worthy of a discussion.  Of course you want a RB or two in the WR room.. never a bad thing to have a hi-lo combo route as an audible option.

10 hours ago, Zombo said:

It would be nice just to have an actual 3rd WR ... since we didn't last year, and it was a disastrous.

Zombo

Higgins, Ratley,  Mello Yellow (PBJ)  are candidates.  The Browns may also do a lot of  2 TE sets, which may eliminate the need for a 3rd WR being on the field.  Possibility of having   OBJ/Jarvis/Hooper/Njoku/Chubb/Hunt all on the field at the same time?   Or that may not be possible...too many skill players at one time...since you also have to have the QB.   But it would be nice. Some combination thereof.  Include a #3 WR in the mix. 

This isn’t too terribly different then training camp stories we saw a couple years in a row where Duke Johnson was practicing with the WRs. I’d be truly surprised to see a true position change, but getting him up to speed on route combinations to which he’ll be a part is a solid idea.

9 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’d be truly surprised to see a true position change, but getting him up to speed on route combinations to which he’ll be a part is a solid idea.

I'd be truly surprised if you counted 3 times.. a Back of any type, that was kept in the backfield for pass protection of Baker for any of Freddie's play calling?..to the tune of 40 sacks.. do you recall any? 

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I'd be truly surprised if you counted 3 times.. a Back of any type, that was kept in the backfield for pass protection of Baker for any of Freddie's play calling?..to the tune of 40 sacks.. do you recall any? 

Good question Gumby. Honestly speaking l didn’t get into next level blocking schemes until Tour did in depth break downs, so all l have at the moment are hazy recollections of last year.

I had a really high opinion of Duke Johnson as a blocker. I have mixed results for everyone else at the RB position.

Which likely means you’re on to something as l have a high opinion of your football acumen. 

On 6/18/2020 at 11:52 PM, Zombo said:

It would be nice just to have an actual 3rd WR ... since we didn't last year, and it was a disastrous.

Zombo

Landry is a prime “slot WR”

Peoples-Jones has the physical skillset to line up on the outside opposite of OBJ, imo.

Higgins can play inside as well, I’m not sure how I feel about him outside.

Hunt is a hell of a receiving 3rd down running back.

My sarcastic side would like to chime in.  - Go ahead -    Yeah, well, I got an idea.  Lets take a recent rushing champ and make him a WR!

...thanks for that, sarcastic side.