THE BROWNS BOARD

I hope I never have to use this

jbluhm86

36 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

What kind of piece do you have in mind? 

Although I don't live in Cincinnati, I work there - at night no less - so I figured having a compact 9mm for the glovebox would be prudent. So far I've looked at a Taurus G2C and a Ruger EC95; both are less than $250 before taxes and fees. Trying to keep my price point below $400, but people late to the party can't choose which music they dance to, I suppose. I'm open to suggestions if you have them.

3 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Although I don't live in Cincinnati, I work there - at night no less - so I figured having a compact 9mm for the glovebox would be prudent. So far I've looked at a Taurus G2C and a Ruger EC95; both are less than $250 before taxes and fees. Trying to keep my price point below $400, but people late to the party can't choose which music they dance to, I suppose. I'm open to suggestions if you have them.

I would suggest go to a range where they rent guns to fire there, try out different models and find one that fits you.  Don't cheap out on it if the SHTF you want to have a reliable weapon and not have to worry about jamming or misfiring.  Look for one that you are able to be consistent as in grouping pattern.  Most important safety first and foremost good luck and hopefully as you say you never have to use it.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

I can’t comment on the Taurus, but I’ve had good luck with Rugers in the past.

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

I know 2 friends with a Taurus, actually one is a co-worker.  Haven't heard any real complaints.  I was actually looking at a lightweight 9 with capacity for a lady friend.   Stumbled across a nice little colt - commander I believe? Checking it at about 1k though.

On 6/18/2020 at 12:31 PM, Canton Dawg said:

I can’t comment on the Taurus, but I’ve had good luck with Rugers in the past.

The Ruger I was looking at was nice, and it fit in my hand pretty comfortably. 

Only downside is that the EC95 is a 7+1.

My favorite hand guns are Smith & Wesson revolvers. I carry an Air weight, titanium frame 44 magnum with a 2" barrel. I hope I never have to use it...mostly because it  will kick like a mule, and ruin what's left of my hearing. I used a Ruger .357 2" barrel revolver for my CCW license about 10 years ago, and was pleased with the accuracy. My .357 police revolver is by far my favorite to fire. Extremely accurate, and smooth action. I've never owned a semi automatic hand gun. They don't "feel right" to me. 

5 hours ago, lodilobo said:

My favorite hand guns are Smith & Wesson revolvers. I carry an Air weight, titanium frame 44 magnum with a 2" barrel. I hope I never have to use it...mostly because it  will kick like a mule, and ruin what's left of my hearing. I used a Ruger .357 2" barrel revolver for my CCW license about 10 years ago, and was pleased with the accuracy. My .357 police revolver is by far my favorite to fire. Extremely accurate, and smooth action. I've never owned a semi automatic hand gun. They don't "feel right" to me. 

I agree, I’m pretty much a revolver guy myself.

I’m guessing that I owned over a 100 pistols over the years, and over the last 10 years I’ve become a snob.

Just give me a gun that works, and that’s a revolver.

To steal a catchphrase from a camera maker, they’re point and shoot.

9 hours ago, lodilobo said:

A revolver is an interesting thought. I'm wanting a CCW gun for my car, specifically to keep in the glove box. By chance, to you also use a speed loader with your CCW revolver?

9 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

A revolver is an interesting thought. I'm wanting a CCW gun for my car, specifically to keep in the glove box. By chance, to you also use a speed loader with your CCW revolver?

Do you plan on a shoot out?

20 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

With the way the world looks like it's heading, would that be out of the realm of possibility?

To make a long story short, a pistol is for an up close and personal confrontation.

If you think you need to fire 20 shots to neutralize a threat, I would suggest spending more time practicing.

The only time I wished my Colt Python .357 had a larger capacity, was when I took it on an Alaskan fishing trip.

Fortunately, the bears left me alone and I didn’t need it.

On a side note, I asked my guide about pepper spray for bears.

His reply, “I don’t want a bear to cry...I want to make him dead”!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

No....but I do usually carry multiple revolver in my vehicle.

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I've thought about getting a revolver one of these days, as a back up in case my walther jams (semi auto). But even though "it will never happen"...

a shootout vs two shooters in a store...six shots is risky, and I can't imagine trying to quickly reload. I can drop a mag and add the new one really quickly. That's about 20 shots.

I really want to start studying krav maga this summer.

Been wondering how much my little .22lr pistol would do in an assault situation - one antifa with a baseball bat, maybe I could shoot the bat out of his hands... depending on the distance, if I only had sweatpants and a tshirt out walking somewhere.

A .22lr pistol is a nice little target pistol. I also have one. But don't rely on it to stop anything serious. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

If you think you're going to be in a shoot out while driving to/from work, then quit.  Or carry a AR-15 with a nice big clip of ammo.  Also some body armor.

Well, luckily (or unluckily) for me, the 'rona slowdown finally caught up with my company, so myself and a bunch of others at my company got laid off Thursday, so I guess I don't have to worry about working downtown at night for the time being.

Still getting my CCW, though. The world is just getting too crazy out there at the moment not to.

• 2 weeks later...

Brought this thread back for the update.

After looking around for a bit, I finally settled on the Taurus G3 9mm. Picked it up today at my local gunship. With two magazines, background check, taxes and fees it came out to around $270.

CCW class is later this month.

On 7/2/2020 at 2:39 PM, calfoxwc said:

really nice for the price. I've had a dim view of Taurus from a few years ago, but all the reviews say mostly good things. I traded two pistols in, like I said, and paid another couple hundred bucks to buy my CCP m2, which I love. Here's a great review of the G3 - Hope you get a CCW instructor that is really highly qualified -

have you owned a gun before?

and, the G3 is slightly bigger - what was the difference with G2 and G3 that you went with the one that is a bit bigger?

I had similar reservations about Taurus due to their poor quality in the past, but from everything I've seen online, they got new ownership several years ago and the focus on quality has gone up.

As for the G3, I chose it because it's very similar to the G2C; one of my gun-savy friends owns the G2C and let me test fire it at the range the other day and it felt good in my hand. The G3 is basically just a slightly upscaled version of the G2C, and for the price the gun shop was selling it for, it was almost a no brainer to pick it up. I'm taking it to the range later this week, and if I don't like it as much as the G2C, my buddy offered to swap me for the G2C plus a little cash, so it's a win-win for me.

• Upvote 1