THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Sunday Flag Day

The Gipper

Back to Sports.    Here is today's Survey.  Give your answers/opinions:

1. What team should sign Cam Newton?

2. The Cavs are one of 8 teams in the NBA whose season is over and will not play again.  Is this fair?

3. Talk is that Reggie Bush may get his Heisman Trophy returned after it was taken away from  him due to supposedly receiving payments and "extra benefits".  Should he?

4. Before the Coronavirus problem hit,  the NBA was discussing the potential of adding two expansion franchises.   If things settle down and they go back to thinking about that,  where should they put these two teams?

5. The Baseball season opening is being delayed because the owners and players are arguing over  money.  Are these guys all assholes...or what? 

None.. He's an asshole...

2. The Cavs are one of 8 teams in the NBA whose season is over and will not play again.  Is this fair?

I hate to be cliche but.. It is what it is...

3. Talk is that Reggie Bush may get his Heisman Trophy returned after it was taken away from  him due to supposedly receiving payments and "extra benefits".  Should he?

Yes why not.. If he doesn't.. BLM and the Dems will keep harping on it. then blame Trump...

4. Before the Coronavirus problem hit,  the NBA was discussing the potential of adding two expansion franchises.   If things settle down and they go back to thinking about that,  where should they put these two teams?

I wouldn't bother.. The league is diluted enough as it is...

5. The Baseball season opening is being delayed because the owners and players are arguing over  money.  Are these guys all assholes...or what..

YES!!

31 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Chargers.  They have a chance this season with good QB play.  Tyrod is not going to provide that.

They are a bad team that doesn’t have a shot.  Let’s hope fair is fair and they land a top pick.

Yes.  No infraction gave him a competitive advantage.  USC and Reggie were penalized.

Las Vegas and back in Seattle.

5. The Baseball season opening is being delayed because the owners and players are arguing over  money.  Are these guys all assholes...or what? 

MLB players Union has always been a whiny group.  It’s not surprising.  Weren’t they offered 75% of their pay for half of a season?  

59 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Who should? Well, NE or Jax. BUT, I think both are tanking so they won't, plus when you rebuild you don't want some snot nosed, entitled baby hanging around bringing the mood down in the building. I don't really care that he wears clothes like grandma used to (It is embarrassing though) I think he needs to chill, wait and see if a starter goes down for a contender and go from there. 

Yea, of course it's fair. Previous rules/conditions don't apply. Basically, tough titties to those teams who are out. The NBA has too many teams making the playoffs to begin with. 

Yes, I believe so. It's turning out a lot of the allegations were pretty weak. 

I honestly don't think it's time for expansion. We are nowhere near "out of the woods" and should probably not expand now. 

SMH

First, the potential candidates:  Chargers, who only have Tyrod;  Lions who may consider moving on from Stafford; Jacksonville and they have no QB; Steelers...because they have no one behind BR;  Pats, because they have no proven QB

Jags...and possibly  Chargers are the two teams that may be wanting to "Tank for Trevor"...so they don't want a possible All star QB.  Lions may still believe in Stafford who may still have 5 (mediocre?) years in him.  Pats are too smug and think they can turn Stidham into Brady (I am not holding my breath on that);   That leaves .....drum roll....The Steelers as the most likely...and best option for Newton.  Even if Cam doesn't believe he should sign in a backup roll....that is where he is going to have to settle for the foreseeable future.  And you never know.....age and injury may actually put a serious damper on BRs abilities in the future...so an opportunity may be there for him. 

It is unfair, a bit.  It would be nice to see teams that are young and developing have the opportunity to have their team together and play some...plus, why shouldn't the teams that are in contention have the chance to play teams that are in the bottom of the barrell,  but sure, in the ultimate end, these teams have no playoff shot so it is not like they are going anywhere. 

Yes,  the NCAA exploited and abused players forever and ever. (talk about a "plantation attitude")   So, they can shove a hot poker up their ass.  As for the Heisman Committee, The  amount of money that  Bush got under the table did NOT make him play any better, or give him any competitive edge over someone  on the field that may not have been paid money.  So his play is what got him the just deserts...not the money.  So who gives a shit about the money.  

I expressed this before.  One East, one west:    East....to me, top place would be the Richmond/Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach area.  A combined metro area of nearly 3 million people...and no other major sports franchise.  An NBA team could rule and make a ton of money there.   West:  Vegas/Seattle/San Diego.  The sister of Paul Allen owns the Blazers, as well as the Seahawks and does not really want competition from the other city in either league.  (they want Seattle rooting for....spending their money on the Blazers, and they want Portland rooting for, spending their money on the Seahawks....it is why San Antonio cannot get an NFL team....).   My preference would be for San Diego...if they could get a decent arena to play games in.  

Oh, yes, they are  major assholes.    They were in the best position to have some semblance of normalcy to their season (next to the NFL0...and they are blowing it.   The players, even though they can't have fans in the stadiums, want paid  on a pro-rata basis as if there were to be fully packed stadiums for every game.  Baseball is far, far more dependent on  in stadium revenue than the NFL and probably more than the NBA and NHL. So, yes, the teams are going to lose far, far more money than just a pro rata amount for the games they miss.  Hate to say it, but I think I am on the owners side here.  

I mean, do the math.    Lets say a team, with full stadiums and TV rights  earns  1 Billion a year.  And lets say they play 70 games. That is 43 percent of the games of a normal season.    The players seem to be saying, well,   OK, instead of  1 Billion in revenue, you receive  430 million in revenue...so pay us  43 percent of our full salaries.    But the owners claim, rightly IMO, is that...we would ONLY be getting 430 million IF we played 43% of the games in front of full houses.....but, we are going to be playing those games, for now at least,  before empty houses.    We cannot pay full pro-rata salaries on  TV revenues alone without losing massive amounts of money.    With no one at games, we lose ticket revenue, parking revenue, concessions revenue, sponsorship revenue, etc. etc.  

3 hours ago, Icecube said:

I honestly don't think it's time for expansion. We are nowhere near "out of the woods" and should probably not expand now. 

SMH

The question did NOT say to expand now.   Obviously now is not the right time.     It said....when, if assumingly  things got back to normal....and the situation is right for expansion....where would you go. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

1. Pittsburgh.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. Seattle and St. Louis

5. Strongest union/ Worst owners ... Not a good combination.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

First, the potential candidates:  Chargers, who only have Tyrod;  Lions who may consider moving on from Stafford; Jacksonville and they have no QB; Steelers...because they have no one behind BR;  Pats, because they have no proven QB

Jags...and possibly  Chargers are the two teams that may be wanting to "Tank for Trevor"...so they don't want a possible All star QB.  Lions may still believe in Stafford who may still have 5 (mediocre?) years in him.  Pats are too smug and think they can turn Stidham into Brady (I am not holding my breath on that);   That leaves .....drum roll....The Steelers as the most likely...and best option for Newton.  Even if Cam doesn't believe he should sign in a backup roll....that is where he is going to have to settle for the foreseeable future.  And you never know.....age and injury may actually put a serious damper on BRs abilities in the future...so an opportunity may be there for him. 

It is unfair, a bit.  It would be nice to see teams that are young and developing have the opportunity to have their team together and play some...plus, why shouldn't the teams that are in contention have the chance to play teams that are in the bottom of the barrell,  but sure, in the ultimate end, these teams have no playoff shot so it is not like they are going anywhere. 

Yes,  the NCAA exploited and abused players forever and ever. (talk about a "plantation attitude")   So, they can shove a hot poker up their ass.  As for the Heisman Committee, The  amount of money that  Bush got under the table did NOT make him play any better, or give him any competitive edge over someone  on the field that may not have been paid money.  So his play is what got him the just deserts...not the money.  So who gives a shit about the money.  

I expressed this before.  One East, one west:    East....to me, top place would be the Richmond/Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach area.  A combined metro area of nearly 3 million people...and no other major sports franchise.  An NBA team could rule and make a ton of money there.   West:  Vegas/Seattle/San Diego.  The sister of Paul Allen owns the Blazers, as well as the Seahawks and does not really want competition from the other city in either league.  (they want Seattle rooting for....spending their money on the Blazers, and they want Portland rooting for, spending their money on the Seahawks....it is why San Antonio cannot get an NFL team....).   My preference would be for San Diego...if they could get a decent arena to play games in.  

Oh, yes, they are  major assholes.    They were in the best position to have some semblance of normalcy to their season (next to the NFL0...and they are blowing it.   The players, even though they can't have fans in the stadiums, want paid  on a pro-rata basis as if there were to be fully packed stadiums for every game.  Baseball is far, far more dependent on  in stadium revenue than the NFL and probably more than the NBA and NHL. So, yes, the teams are going to lose far, far more money than just a pro rata amount for the games they miss.  Hate to say it, but I think I am on the owners side here.  

I mean, do the math.    Lets say a team, with full stadiums and TV rights  earns  1 Billion a year.  And lets say they play 70 games. That is 43 percent of the games of a normal season.    The players seem to be saying, well,   OK, instead of  1 Billion in revenue, you receive  430 million in revenue...so pay us  43 percent of our full salaries.    But the owners claim, rightly IMO, is that...we would ONLY be getting 430 million IF we played 43% of the games in front of full houses.....but, we are going to be playing those games, for now at least,  before empty houses.    We cannot pay full pro-rata salaries on  TV revenues alone without losing massive amounts of money.    With no one at games, we lose ticket revenue, parking revenue, concessions revenue, sponsorship revenue, etc. etc.  

The Chargers just drafted a QB in the first round this year they aren’t tanking for Trevor.  

7 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Chargers just drafted a QB in the first round this year they aren’t tanking for Trevor.  

You are absolutely right.  Forgot about that: Justin Herbert.  

So that counts San Diego out.....or, err, uh  LA Chargers out. 

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You are absolutely right.  Forgot about that: Justin Herbert.  

So that counts San Diego out.....or, err, uh  LA Chargers out. 

You may be onto something in a couple years.  Herbert doesn't impress me.  Also, I don't know if you can leave Justin Fields out of the top QB discussion.  

You mentioned San Diego for Basketball add.  I don't see it unless an ownership group pays for the Arena build.  This town speaks loud and clear when it comes to funding sports stadiums UNLESS they bring a countywide vote instead of a City of SD vote like they had with City land and the Chargers.   

28 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

You may be onto something in a couple years.  Herbert doesn't impress me.  Also, I don't know if you can leave Justin Fields out of the top QB discussion.  

You mentioned San Diego for Basketball add.  I don't see it unless an ownership group pays for the Arena build.  This town speaks loud and clear when it comes to funding sports stadiums UNLESS they bring a countywide vote instead of a City of SD vote like they had with City land and the Chargers.   

I guess we have to see how this coming season goes for Fields,  if he is going to challenge Lawrence for the top QB spot.  

And yes,  San Diego has  no  20K some arena that would support an NBA team. I guess if they would not put public money into a football stadium they are not going to do it for a basketball arena  (SDSU arena holds only about 12K).

I mentioned Seattle.  It IS THE 2d largest "market" in America without an NBA team....but note what I say about the ownership situation above as to why they don't want to put a team there.   The largest Designated Market areas without an NBA team are:

1. Tampa Bay.....but only 84 miles from Orlando...so the Magic are considered that areas teams

2. Seattle.  See above

3. St. Louis

4. Pittsburgh

5. Baltimore...but really considered part of Washington DC area

6. San Diego

7. Nashville

8.  Kansas City

But note:  That combined Richmond/Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach area would  fall in line above behind only Tampa and Seattle. 

On 6/14/2020 at 12:20 PM, The Gipper said:

I don't know.

Given the way things are, what's the point.?

I didn't even know they took it.

Bangor, Maine and Bismark, ND.

5. The Baseball season opening is being delayed because the owners and players are arguing over  money.  Are these guys all assholes...or what?    Assholes.

Don't know, don't care....  

Yes, without LeBron, they suck... 

Yes

Agree with Z, Seattle and St. Louis. St. Louis got screwed by Carpetbagger Kroenke,  and they have the Blues (NBA ready facility) and Cardinals who are well supported.

Absolutely. And as far as I'm concerned- if there's no season this year- to date, I haven't missed MLB at all. It can go away forever for all I care. I have zero sympathy for players raking in contracts on the high side of $100 million. LOL, just say SOCCER!!!!   

LOL, just say SOCCER!!!!  

Why would we want to say that?   I mean, even if we do not have baseball, we will still have basketball,  Hockey, football, golf, Lacrosse,  Volleyball drone racing, numerous Olympic Sports (summer and winter) etc. 

Soccer would compete with like  MMA, tennis,  motorsports at the bottom of the barrel.  If I knew anything about cricket,  I could conceivably like it.