THE BROWNS BOARD

Football and coronavirus

Orion

12 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I thought maybe you would give a heartfelt solution to my points

No, you didn't. You're not sorry at all. You did, however, use a lot of words to demonstrate your lack of interest in actually doing anything constructive.

If you were ACTUALLY interested - like a Real American - you would have clicked the link and pondered [using your inside voice] "Hm, what if that's true?"

Instead, you tried to flame me.  That's not being interested - it's being an ass.  A whole ass!

56 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

No, you didn't. You're not sorry at all. You did, however, use a lot of words to demonstrate your lack of interest in actually doing anything constructive.

If you were ACTUALLY interested - like a Real American - you would have clicked the link and pondered [using your inside voice] "Hm, what if that's true?"

Instead, you tried to flame me.  That's not being interested - it's being an ass.

So now you've called me a racist, baby boy, ass and not a "Real" American? Also, you tried to bully me into deleting my Browns Board account in order to cancel me, and insinuated that I'm lacking in intelligence because I would have to ponder by actually speaking out loud.... How very tolerant and inclusive of you.

For what it's worth, I did click on your link and read the whole thing. If I were so (was so??) inclined I could hunt around the awesome invention known as the internet to find an exact rebuttal to your article, but since I don't trust any media outlet or government agency, I'm guessing you already know whether or not I put forth that effort.

I'll try 1 more time, with 100% sincerity... If you were the Supreme Leader of the Planet, and made 100% of all the rules regarding COVID (from this date forward as we can't change the past), what would you do? Hopefully you take into account some of my points in my original post. 

Not a bait to a fight, and no other ulterior motives other than hearing your opinion.

BTW, 'baby boy' still makes me literally laugh out loud. 

You have selected the "I would have a response but words and stuff!" comeback?

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

what would you do?

If you want to solve a problem, the general methodology is historically known as PDCA.  If you want to know more.. click the link.

In reality from professional practitioners of problem solving such as.. myself, the actual cycle is check-adjust-plan-implement-check-adjust.  Otherwise [using only PDCA, or just going to "implement" and stopping] you're merely doing the solution you jumped to at first glance before studying the problem.  [Fun analogy: Southern states hopped right to their preferred solution of telling everyone to open back up.. and so can be said to fail at the "adjust" steps.]

The other problem is lack of buy-in to any solution even if the "perfect" solution was available.  

One "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."  So when you set out to eliminate public trust in government, don't act shocked when people.. have no faith in government.  Although it seems to have been modified somewhat recently to "I'm a Republican from the government," I still don't think any solution -perfect or not- would receive the public faith that any team of officials was genuinely trying to do right and worth following. 

This is the counterexample which proves Reagan wrong. You need public faith in government during pandemics or the pandemic does not go away, period. US has been lucky since the 1918 flu - and appears to have learned nothing from it.

Two Orwell on nationalism -- "Actions are held to be good or bad, not on their own merits, but according to who does them."

For all those people who complain about "rights" which are supposedly being taken away by masks, the very thing those same people have been saying for years would be The End Of It ["gummint agents coming!"] is actually happening in Portland and those anti-mask people are.. perfectly fine with it.  So we know they don't actually care about the government agents... they're just players on a team. Which is fine, you do you - but if you're going to be disingenuous, don't be shocked when people see your claims of Little Green Men and Principles To Die For for what they really are: just another political scare tactic.

Not everything is political - Fauci doesn't give a flying pangolin about "Team Democrat".

You want me to propose "A Solution"? Only after Ben Shapiro and Tucker Carlson would agree to talk positively about the things I'd say.. because in the same way that the best workout for obese people is the one that they'll do.. the best solution to this is the one that even Republicans would follow.  What's that? There is none?  Yep.

Other Republicans wouldn't do poorly to notice that Mass Gov Baker is a Republican who mandates masks, has slowly opened up, and has seen a decrease in cases.

^ Appreciate the effort. 

9 minutes ago, Orion said:

Here's what I did.  I put that nimrod on my ignore list.  Makes for a better board experience....except when people quote him...then his idiocy is visible to me.

I'm a quick learner! 

• Haha 1

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/07/toronto-blue-jays-prohibited-from-playing-mlb-games-in-canada.html

So the Toronto Blue Jays will not be allowed to play any home games this season... they will play their home games in Buffalo or a training site in Florida.

Basically, Canada has no interest in people going back and forth from the U.S. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/07/toronto-blue-jays-prohibited-from-playing-mlb-games-in-canada.html

So the Toronto Blue Jays will not be allowed to play any home games this season... they will play their home games in Buffalo or a training site in Florida.

Basically, Canada has no interest in people going back and forth from the U.S. 

Don't blame them at all.   If there are not to be fans in the stands, then playing in Buffalo seems a good choice.   But...will NY state allow people to come in.   Florida would though.  Their governor doesn't give a shit who may get sick and die if there are some bucks to be made. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Don't blame them at all.   If there are not to be fans in the stands, then playing in Buffalo seems a good choice.   But...will NY state allow people to come in.   Florida would though.  Their governor doesn't give a shit who may get sick and die if there are some bucks to be made. 

Florida is a mess because of the corrupt Governor following the lead of economy TRUMPS people/human lives.  Salt in wounds, millions of Florida residents didn't get their 1st unemployment checks until after the economy re-opened - and some still haven't. The on-line application glitch was conveniently extended throughout the period Trump was ecstatic announcing all his Republican Governors had GREAT economies during the Pandemic.  Meanwhile those Governors that did the right thing paying the unemployed reflected economic accuracy via integrity despite how inconvenient the truth was. That's a GIGANTIC part of the Corona Virus battle putting people and human lives first over the economy.  Florida is a nightmare and the Governor under the influence of Trump would rather let people die than shut everything down for 3-4 weeks. If NYC can get to 0 deaths from the Virus from being the worst in the world; then ditch the ego for the science and take the precautions that limit the risk.  YES, do the unthinkable and shut it down for a few weeks.  These doctors and nurses are on borrowed time working extended hours in ICUs. Some are getting sick while others are getting fatigued mentally and physically during their prolonged exposures.  HELP THEM because you can!!!!!!

Besides, when you deceitfully manipulate economic numbers it's gonna bite you in the assss sooner or later.  For example, are we finally going to see somebody's tax returns within the next 6 months?

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 1:06 PM, D Bone said:

So this virus is so dangerous that you can have it and never even know it, and when you do get it, for some reason you and the human race will not build any immunity to it..... Meaning you might get it again and never even know you had it a second , third, seventeenth time.

Based on humanity's ability - or lack thereof, to prevent the common cold strain of Coronavirus, none of us should be all warm and fuzzy over a fast approaching vaccine. And if there is one on the horizon, who are going to be the first volunteers? < That was a rhetorical question as we all know it will be the poor, but let's pretend that the brave, poor "volunteers" don't all die or have other complications, and the miracle vaccine goes to market....... are you going to inject it?

( I won't eat meat or dairy because I know what they put into the animals that I would eat, so you can probably guess how cold it would have to get in hell for me to inject that shit into my body ) 

So what's the plan Stan? Are you going to force the entire planet into this miracle vaccination? If 'yes' - good luck with that, so I'll answer my own question with a 'no'.

So now we're back to "lockdowns can and do stop the spread". < I guess the planet's new way of life..... Lock everyone down until the virus magically disappears because it's for their own good - again, good luck with that. 

On a side note:

My 79 year old mother in law had to be moved into an assisted living facility near my wife and I the week CA closed in late March. Her whole way of life has been upended. She can no longer drive, moved from Redding CA away from all of her friends, but it simply had to be done as she can no longer take care of herself and we couldn't move our lives to help her. 

^ All of that would be devastating in a normal world, but with COVID any time she leaves the building - for any reason, she has to be locked in her room for 14 days. Once the 14 days are over the residents are allowed to be in small groups of 3 or less, and of course have to wear a mask and distance themselves. All meals are delivered to their rooms where they all must eat in isolation. 

None of the residents are allowed to have ANY visitors... NONE! My wife can NOT go see her mother, even though she is a 12 minute drive away. She will turn 80 in late August and we are having a party at our home with all of her family coming to see her. We will all be as smart as possible with the majority of the party happening in our large back yard with a pool.

She wants the party because, and I quote:  "Right now this isn't living, I'm just existing. I would rather live and die because of it, than simply exist until I die."

^ READ THAT SHIT AGAIN

Any who, Go Browns 

On 7/18/2020 at 1:06 PM, D Bone said:

So this virus is so dangerous that you can have it and never even know it, and when you do get it, for some reason you and the human race will not build any immunity to it..... Meaning you might get it again and never even know you had it a second , third, seventeenth time.

Based on humanity's ability - or lack thereof, to prevent the common cold strain of Coronavirus, none of us should be all warm and fuzzy over a fast approaching vaccine. And if there is one on the horizon, who are going to be the first volunteers? < That was a rhetorical question as we all know it will be the poor, but let's pretend that the brave, poor "volunteers" don't all die or have other complications, and the miracle vaccine goes to market....... are you going to inject it?

( I won't eat meat or dairy because I know what they put into the animals that I would eat, so you can probably guess how cold it would have to get in hell for me to inject that shit into my body ) 

So what's the plan Stan? Are you going to force the entire planet into this miracle vaccination? If 'yes' - good luck with that, so I'll answer my own question with a 'no'.

So now we're back to "lockdowns can and do stop the spread". < I guess the planet's new way of life..... Lock everyone down until the virus magically disappears because it's for their own good - again, good luck with that. 

On a side note:

My 79 year old mother in law had to be moved into an assisted living facility near my wife and I the week CA closed in late March. Her whole way of life has been upended. She can no longer drive, moved from Redding CA away from all of her friends, but it simply had to be done as she can no longer take care of herself and we couldn't move our lives to help her. 

^ All of that would be devastating in a normal world, but with COVID any time she leaves the building - for any reason, she has to be locked in her room for 14 days. Once the 14 days are over the residents are allowed to be in small groups of 3 or less, and of course have to wear a mask and distance themselves. All meals are delivered to their rooms where they all must eat in isolation. 

None of the residents are allowed to have ANY visitors... NONE! My wife can NOT go see her mother, even though she is a 12 minute drive away. She will turn 80 in late August and we are having a party at our home with all of her family coming to see her. We will all be as smart as possible with the majority of the party happening in our large back yard with a pool.

She wants the party because, and I quote:  "Right now this isn't living, I'm just existing. I would rather live and die because of it, than simply exist until I die."

^ READ THAT SHIT AGAIN

Any who, Go Browns 

My mother-in law is 93 and in a similar situation down in Florida.  

• Sad 1

Is it true the Giants are letting Corey Coleman practice without having to wear a mask as it is almost impossible for him to catch anything

• Haha 1

To all of you that have loved ones in assisted living or nursing homes, I'm so sorry!  It's difficult by itself, but now with what the virus has done to that population...and you can't visit them...take and do their laundry...etc.   I'm just so sorry!

• Upvote 3

It sucks.   

I have to admit, I have never been a big fan of my MIL, but still, she is 93.  She needs contact.  There comes a point they need a hug and reassurance.  At some point you need to put aside any differences and give her a hug and do the right thing.  I mean, come on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

To all of you that have loved ones in assisted living or nursing homes, I'm so sorry!  It's difficult by itself, but now with what the virus has done to that population...and you can't visit them...take and do their laundry...etc.   I'm just so sorry!

Hospitals got to be the same way when I was in in April NO VISITORS in the building not even ER unless you were terminal not even my wife when I was in in June they eased up a bit maybe one immediate family in certain circumstances.

They had to do that to try to control the virus but it can be tough in a bad time for everyone.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Hospitals got to be the same way when I was in in April NO VISITORS in the building not even ER unless you were terminal not even my wife when I was in in June they eased up a bit maybe one immediate family in certain circumstances.

They had to do that to try to control the virus but it can be tough in a bad time for everyone.

A lot of times, family members of an infected person have been exposed to the virus - so hospitals had/have to be protective of this in terms of who they can let in.  On the news, I saw a wife and daughter drop the 39 year old husband/father off - and they weren't allowed in.  The guy ended up dying without ANY immediate family members at his side during the very brief length of stay.  THAT SUCKS!  Even worse, a similar scenario has probably happened to a lot of families.

• Like 1

Heard today that the Toronto Blue Jays would play their home games in Pittsburgh.  And then, No.  Pennsylvania wouldn't allow Canada to have a home field in their state.  The COUNTRY of Canada has only 4k more cases then the STATE of Pennsylvania.  The country of Canada would slot in just above Pennsylvania and just below Massachusetts for 10th in the US.  

Is Pennsylvania gonna allow the Texans to come to their state?  Or the Rams?  Or the Cowboys?  Those states have waaay more cases than the country of Canada.

I think we may have learned here, NOT to have sports franchises in other countries.  Politics can get in the way.  -  Of course STATES have been having little wars with each other about not allowing each other in their state (NY, MA, RI, CT)....

Masks mandatory if fans are allowed in stadiums at all

Suck it, you non-mask people.  Or just delete your account on this forum.

And if that statement is cancel culture, good -- "Cancel Culture" is basically right-wingers being very angry that when they exercise their right to free speech to "own the libs", some libs use their freedom of speech to respond in kind. After all, only conservatives have rights.

The Marlins today had double digit players & coaches test positive for the virus.  It's affected two games being canceled so far.  

It's not football, but I think all of the pro sports starting up are somehow dependent upon each other to show that it CAN be done.  Baseball is in trouble after just one weekend.  

Over the weekend we had 2 players test positive.  Dontrell HIlliard and Jovante Moffatt are on the COVID-19 reserve list.  And the rest of the players are supposed to arrive tomorrow and start getting tested.  I'd guess a couple more guys turn up positive...but I hope not.  Supposedly they paid Mofatt (S) over 100 grand to come to camp.

On 7/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, Unsympathetic said:

Masks mandatory if fans are allowed in stadiums at all

Suck it, you non-mask people.  Or just delete your account on this forum.

And if that statement is cancel culture, good -- "Cancel Culture" is basically right-wingers being very angry that when they exercise their right to free speech to "own the libs", some libs use their freedom of speech to respond in kind. After all, only conservatives have rights.

MAGA!

How Vermont is leading the country in handling covid

A vaccine reality check

Even cloth masks protect the wearer - Journal of General Internal Medicine.  You know, peer-reviewed.  As always, suck it, non-mask people.

"Mild" covid-19: Beginning the documentation

More proof that covid is not the flu - Today's long-form must-read.

CDC has acknowledged that 35% of everyone positive for covid -- NOT just those admitted/in ICU etc -- have multiple long-term [3+ weeks] effects from virus.  This number is 20% even for ages 18-34 with zero other issues.

Over half of everyone covid-positive in Spain has long-term neurologic problems.

78% of patients "recovered" from covid have cardiovascular changes.  That link is JAMA.  A Red Sox pitcher is one of those.

Just now, Unsympathetic said:

I'm glad to see you've found something other than "It's just a flu" to tell yourself.

Diabetes, hepatitis, and lupus are equally nothing!

I have never said it was just the flu.  I also have diabetes.

I don't know what the hell you are talking about.

My apologies.. when you said that this virus could kill you in 20 years I thought you were attempting to say it was meaningless and could be ignored..

My point is that covid is absolutely unlike any virus that has affected humans before [Click the link I labeled "today's long-form must read above!] because it invades through so many different systems of the body and therefore triggers such a wide variety of issues / long-term unrecoverable changes that it has to be placed along with diabetes/lupus/CHF as conditions to manage rather than things you can "heal" from.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

This sucker, if it doesn't kill you in 20 days might do it in 20 years.

I just saw where two young twenty year old nonsmokers got lung replacements one or both lungs.  This is a nasty bug that has gone around the world.

And cardio issues can have lasting effects what exactly we don't know.

• Like 1