Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Orion

Football and coronavirus

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

The hospitals and medical community are getting better at handling this virus unfortunately through months of practice.

The death toll stands at 138,040.

Surely you're mistaken. Don't you mean 1,380,400?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to be the bearer of bad news in such a harmonious thread, but there will not be a single snap in any level of football in 2020.

Carry on..... 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news in such a harmonious thread, but there will not be a single snap in any level of football in 2020.

Carry on..... 

Yeah, I can't see this happening either. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gorka said:

Surely you're mistaken. Don't you mean 1,380,400?

When is it your turn?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, D Bone said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news in such a harmonious thread, but there will not be a single snap in any level of football in 2020.

Carry on..... 

The nflpa union reported about 72 players with the bug, no names, and they're planning a September snap ?

The next real football event may be the NFL draft in April-ish 2021 from Cleveland Ohio !    That should be fun.....I hope.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

When is it your turn?

My turn to do what, punk you?

Yeah we've reached 138K deaths. Gee I thought only black lives mattered to you assholes.  Make up your minds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, D Bone said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news in such a harmonious thread, but there will not be a single snap in any level of football in 2020.

Carry on..... 

What fucking timing.  The Browns will be a lock to finally represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. I don't believe in curses, but we are cursed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Gorka said:

My turn to do what, punk you?

Yeah we've reached 138K deaths. So now all lives matter to you assholes? Make up your minds.

 

To die Mr. Bond. You are the one who is so cavalier with everyone else’s life. Just thought you should know how it feels to have others be cavalier with your life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

To die Mr. Bond. You are the one who is so cavalier with everyone else’s life. Just thought you should know how it feels to have others be cavalier with your life. 

Why of course.  Atop your perch of moral superiority please do tell us more about things we should know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gorka said:

What fucking timing.  The Browns will be a lock to finally represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. I don't believe in curses, but we are cursed.

At the end of last year we went to Hawaii for the 1st time in my 52 years of life. 6 Days before we flew out we made an offer on our dream home which was accepted. We closed escrow 45 days later and moved in 5 days after closing. 

Then came the Zombie Apocalypse, Murder Hornets, our family business almost wiped out, Civil War v2.0 and now no football when the Browns' window might finally be open....

I'm pretty sure that on the flight home, the airplane went down somewhere in the Pacific and I just don't know it yet. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, D Bone said:

At the end of last year we went to Hawaii for the 1st time in my 52 years of life. 6 Days before we flew out we made an offer on our dream home which was accepted. We closed escrow 45 days later and moved in 5 days after closing. 

Then came the Zombie Apocalypse, Murder Hornets, our family business almost wiped out, Civil War v2.0 and now no football when the Browns' window might finally be open....

I'm pretty sure that on the flight home, the airplane went down somewhere in the Pacific and I just don't know it yet. 

Hawai'i is my favorite all time vacation spot I like big city Honolulu and especially Waikiki but the rest of Hawai'i is beautiful.

The rest you nailed pretty well......and de' plane, de' plane maybe you're still on Fantasy Island somewhere with Amelia.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Gorka said:

Surely you're mistaken. Don't you mean 1,380,400?

Maybe I am reading in, but there aren't nearly that many deaths.. Even worldwide it is maybe half of that.  Here 140,000 in rough numbers.

 

 

As a person in my 70's, I don't like to say this, but many of the deaths are elderly people.  How many were going to die from catching a common cold as an example a week later?  Face it, as you reach a certain age, the immune system just doesn't work the same.  Nobody gets out of this life alive.  Something is going to catch up with all of us.

 

If we start seeing large numbers of young people die  then we have a real problem. Once you get to be 60 or so,  most people have some underlying condition.  Heck, even Jack Lalanne died, and seriously, he might have been one of the fittest persons in the history of the world.  Look him up if you don't know about him.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, D Bone said:

At the end of last year we went to Hawaii for the 1st time in my 52 years of life. 6 Days before we flew out we made an offer on our dream home which was accepted. We closed escrow 45 days later and moved in 5 days after closing. 

Then came the Zombie Apocalypse, Murder Hornets, our family business almost wiped out, Civil War v2.0 and now no football when the Browns' window might finally be open....

I'm pretty sure that on the flight home, the airplane went down somewhere in the Pacific and I just don't know it yet. 

Lost?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Lost?

Man that's what it feels like.... I just hope mine ends better. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...thinkin'.....perhaps uniforms should have long sleeves.   And gloves must be worn.  That would reduce actual body contact.   ....thinkin' again....jersey would become a sweaty wet rag anyway.   I'm back to, "I don't know how you actually play the game."

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Orion said:

...thinkin'.....perhaps uniforms should have long sleeves.   And gloves must be worn.  That would reduce actual body contact.   ....thinkin' again....jersey would become a sweaty wet rag anyway.   I'm back to, "I don't know how you actually play the game."

If it is deemed unsafe for people to stand in groups, close together, i don't see how it is safe to play the game of football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 7:32 PM, D Bone said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news in such a harmonious thread, but there will not be a single snap in any level of football in 2020.

Carry on..... 

Precisely!  We interrupt this conversation to bring you breaking news... 

Linus, his wife Sally, and all 7 kids are still in the Pumpkin Patch with exciting news they think they heard the very first movement from Great Pumpkin according to Fox News.   CNN's Chris Cuomo has chimed in with a spoiler alert.  Unfortunately, it was only their grandson Gorka behind the Scarecrow; looking at pictures in Playgirl Magazine and making creepy noises with his pants down next to an empty viagra wrapper.  All of a sudden the camera captured the naked George Costanza clone screaming at his aunts and uncles "which one of you phucking libtards stole my pom poms?"    Wait a second, here comes a well trained Fox News reporter lecturing "Don't believe what you see from camera lenses or what you hear from microphones; because all inconvenient truth = fake news!"

Next week we will feature how America needs to get Nurse Ratched back in charge of the R-Wing and on their medications asap; so freedom of speech can be appreciated by the percentages of the population it used to be back when America WAS Great!

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why walk like an Egyptian?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

If it is deemed unsafe for people to stand in groups, close together, i don't see how it is safe to play the game of football.

Yeah, just look at the line of scrimmage with proximity of teammates and opponents.  On short yardage plays or any runs for that matter, it's pretty uncommon to just see a solo tackle pile of just 2 people.  The same goes for short passes.  Huddles?  The contact itself is going to make this an enormous challenge.  Not to mention many of the states with at least 2 teams are really getting hit hard by the virus and politically blinded leadership putting people in the front lines (doctors and nurses) at extended risk, burnout and depression. 

1 very doable change is giving everyone plastic face shields. Drawback might be they steam up; but technology should have solutions.

Even the locker rooms and so many things we're probably not even thinking about - that'll challenge spacing and that potential for germs to spread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, just look at the line of scrimmage with proximity of teammates and opponents.  On short yardage plays or any runs for that matter, it's pretty uncommon to just see a solo tackle pile of just 2 people.  The same goes for short passes.  Huddles?  The contact itself is going to make this an enormous challenge.  Not to mention many of the states with at least 2 teams are really getting hit hard by the virus and politically blinded leadership putting people in the front lines (doctors and nurses) at extended risk, burnout and depression. 

1 very doable change is giving everyone plastic face shields. Drawback might be they steam up; but technology should have solutions.

Even the locker rooms and so many things we're probably not even thinking about - that'll challenge spacing and that potential for germs to spread.

Forget face shields.  You can't put them in astronaut helmets.  Sorry Flugs, I don't see any safe way to play.  People sweating, banging in to each other at high velocity, causing gasps.

 

The first down will be HS football.  What parent is going to want their child to risk life?  What about college.?  If my kids were still in college, I'd have them drop out for a year before heading in to some germ infested dorm if they couldn't study online. The Pro's need to be the leaders here.  They need to give it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

What parent is going to want their child to risk life?

Parents who send their kids to corona parties in the South.

Herd immunity will NOT be a thing.. for the 4,375th time, this is NOT the flu or the measles.  Note further down that people can and do spread the virus even if they have no symptoms.. and, of course, that lockdowns can and do stop the spread.

Who'dathunk it: Biology doesn't care about your political position!  To be clear, the problem with football is that "isolate if symptoms" won't be enough.

Fun note: If SARS-1 had hit the US harder in 03 / 04, I'm betting we'd have a much better roadmap for these debates.  People completely forget about the 2003 months of lockdowns in Asia which was the prequel to this.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Next week we will feature how America needs to get Nurse Ratched back in charge of the R-Wing and on their medications asap; so freedom of speech can be appreciated by the percentages of the population it used to be back when America WAS Great!

Nurse Ratchet ? 2UbL.gif OR **

Nurse Joker?  1AzR.gif   Speak loudly for your freedom at the voting boxes 📥 or your local Pumpkin Patch 🎃 ;)

Players have their own Personal & family rights to not play..Opt. Out! it's your paid/not paid profession.. 

but not trying to use all the protective measures,(some not in place yet?) than not opening Training Camps just seems even worse... 🤔.... They waited to long to start *the* conversations with the players ,imho...

Next Up? The delay of Camps... and that's ok, if both sides are still talking players safety...  

If cancel is right? CANCEL! but the Right TIME is still on the NFL's Football side, by months... Protections are not all in place to hit locker rooms & play per the Players Union..

here's a few...The new Shields must be worn in the trenches if not by all.(prefer all) and Surely ya can spread the sideline box further open. Huddles or more no Huddles? Teams can spread huddles further off the ball.. not 6ft, but maybe 2/3 feet and College football rarely huddles.. Scripted sets & sideline calls just need a snap count ✌️(and don't believe all ya see)

We Shall see! 👀 maybe some Month 🤞 ... till than, the few slim believers still have hope.. GO Browns!! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

Forget face shields.  You can't put them in astronaut helmets.  Sorry Flugs, I don't see any safe way to play.  People sweating, banging in to each other at high velocity, causing gasps.

The first down will be HS football.  What parent is going to want their child to risk life?  What about college.?  If my kids were still in college, I'd have them drop out for a year before heading in to some germ infested dorm if they couldn't study online. The Pro's need to be the leaders here.  They need to give it up.

Ballpeen, you do know I was agreeing with you right (post pasted below just in case)?  Yeah, I've been posting for a while now in 2-3 different threads I don't see any possible way they're going to have a season.  Today, I was just trying to think of a better plan than MLB is going to resort to when I see guys on the Tampa Bay Devil Rays wearing masks while practicing in Florida heat.  I thought to myself, there's NO WAY you could do that in the NFL.  Guys with eye injuries have worn the face shields in the past; but JJ Watt and others are already saying they aren't wearing one.

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, just look at the line of scrimmage with proximity of teammates and opponents.  On short yardage plays or any runs for that matter, it's pretty uncommon to just see a solo tackle pile of just 2 people.  The same goes for short passes.  Huddles?  The contact itself is going to make this an enormous challenge.  Not to mention many of the states with at least 2 teams are really getting hit hard by the virus and politically blinded leadership putting people in the front lines (doctors and nurses) at extended risk, burnout and depression. 

1 very doable change is giving everyone plastic face shields. Drawback might be they steam up; but technology should have solutions.

Even the locker rooms and so many things we're probably not even thinking about - that'll challenge spacing and that potential for germs to spread.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Interesting read.  So student athletes should get and receive testing results within 72 hours?  That's a lot of testing.  Highlights of article:

  • Testing strategies should be implemented for all athletics activities, including pre-season, regular season and post-season.
  • Testing and results should be obtained within 72 hours of competition in high contact risk sports.
  • Universal masking should be observed on all sidelines, including when an athlete moves from the playing field to the sideline to confer with a coach.
  • All individuals with high-risk exposure must be quarantined for 14 days.
  • All student-athletes and athletics personnel should understand that COVID-19 risk mitigation practices should be observed at ALL times, including non-athletic related activities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Herd immunity will NOT be a thing.. for the 4,375th time, this is NOT the flu or the measles.  Note further down that people can and do spread the virus even if they have no symptoms.. and, of course, that lockdowns can and do stop the spread.

So this virus is so dangerous that you can have it and never even know it, and when you do get it, for some reason you and the human race will not build any immunity to it..... Meaning you might get it again and never even know you had it a second , third, seventeenth time.

Based on humanity's ability - or lack thereof, to prevent the common cold strain of Coronavirus, none of us should be all warm and fuzzy over a fast approaching vaccine. And if there is one on the horizon, who are going to be the first volunteers? < That was a rhetorical question as we all know it will be the poor, but let's pretend that the brave, poor "volunteers" don't all die or have other complications, and the miracle vaccine goes to market....... are you going to inject it?

( I won't eat meat or dairy because I know what they put into the animals that I would eat, so you can probably guess how cold it would have to get in hell for me to inject that shit into my body ) 

So what's the plan Stan? Are you going to force the entire planet into this miracle vaccination? If 'yes' - good luck with that, so I'll answer my own question with a 'no'.

So now we're back to "lockdowns can and do stop the spread". < I guess the planet's new way of life..... Lock everyone down until the virus magically disappears because it's for their own good - again, good luck with that. 

 

On a side note:

My 79 year old mother in law had to be moved into an assisted living facility near my wife and I the week CA closed in late March. Her whole way of life has been upended. She can no longer drive, moved from Redding CA away from all of her friends, but it simply had to be done as she can no longer take care of herself and we couldn't move our lives to help her. 

^ All of that would be devastating in a normal world, but with COVID any time she leaves the building - for any reason, she has to be locked in her room for 14 days. Once the 14 days are over the residents are allowed to be in small groups of 3 or less, and of course have to wear a mask and distance themselves. All meals are delivered to their rooms where they all must eat in isolation. 

None of the residents are allowed to have ANY visitors... NONE! My wife can NOT go see her mother, even though she is a 12 minute drive away. She will turn 80 in late August and we are having a party at our home with all of her family coming to see her. We will all be as smart as possible with the majority of the party happening in our large back yard with a pool.

She wants the party because, and I quote:  "Right now this isn't living, I'm just existing. I would rather live and die because of it, than simply exist until I die."

^ READ THAT SHIT AGAIN

 

Any who, Go Browns 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Are you going to force the entire planet into this miracle vaccination?

Here we see the best type of red herring - a strawman argument! - in the wild. 

It distracts from the main issue - understanding the beast that is c19 as baseline for determining steps to take to address it - by attempting to frame all who do fight it as people with Nefarious Intentions.  [Of course, his intentions are Perfectly Pure!]  As well, it introduces 2 irrelevant items : 1) "the entire planet" as though anyone in the US has anything to say regarding actions taken by another sovereign.. and 2) the notion of a vaccination, which wasn't even mentioned in the links I described.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Fun: it's both a red herring AND a strawman argument!

Sorry. I only have 12yrs of free public education, so forgive me that I don't understand this.

I thought maybe you would give a heartfelt solution to my points rather than a cute, condescending comment, but ultimately I knew I was barking up the wrong red herring.

^ did I use it right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×