Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Orion

Football and coronavirus

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, htownbrown said:

Yep. I filled mine out already.

Some interesting questions in the survey...one asked if I'd take more tickets to fewer games (I have 2 seats).  In other words, say 4 tickets to 4 games.

I'd rather have my 2 seats for a few games and apply the $$ towards 2021 for games I can't attend. Who knows how this will be handled.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could be just me? but i have a few media Rants that may help meself by just getting them out 🤓..

1) Camps won't open end of July.. This league is just to slow at doing anything..and Both sides rarely agree on anything..I might image a October start.. if any  

2) the data from Baseball & NBa/NHL re-starts won't even have time to show any real data, that shows any affects on what smaller roster teams could show..

3) Helmets? have ya heard some of these bright idea's? The only picture that comes to my mind is the scene from Apollo 13 NQgO.gif  run in a cloth mask and see if that thing don't become a nose booger by halftime 🤧..

I can't envision a spat visor extending to cover players own mouth either.. where will the visor end? with no risk to his own throat? Or another players dis-attached finger?    I've been in one, when that unexpected loose rivet cracks that shield..that will get ugly 

4) Waivers-- sure some players may opt out from playing this season at all.. Players will fail covid testing... so let's not get the cart out in front of the horses... by setting cut down roster limits before we even start

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 1:51 PM, Bob806 said:

Yep. I filled mine out already.

Some interesting questions in the survey...one asked if I'd take more tickets to fewer games (I have 2 seats).  In other words, say 4 tickets to 4 games.

I'd rather have my 2 seats for a few games and apply the $$ towards 2021 for games I can't attend. Who knows how this will be handled.

 

I answered the survey, and thought that a moronic idea.  I live 600 miles away.  Many times I have a hard time finding someone to take my 1 extra.  What the hell am I going to do with 6 tickets?  As for me, I don't plan on any games.  They will give you a credit or refund your money.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost 72k new cases in the US today.  WTF

.....And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Orion said:

Almost 72k new cases in the US today.  WTF

.....And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Orion said:

Almost 72k new cases in the US today.  WTF

.....And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Oh yeah take me back to those Woodstock days......great music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yeah take me back to those Woodstock days......great music.

Back in those days, bands spoke more truth in their songs. CCR - they nailed it. 'Nam was such a bull s--- war. And we haven't escaped the clutches of the industrial military complex since. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Back in those days, bands spoke more truth in their songs. CCR - they nailed it. 'Nam was such a bull s--- war. And we haven't escaped the clutches of the industrial military complex since. 

The late 60s and early 70s rock music, my undergrad college years.....great era for music, cars and bikes !    Loved it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Orion said:

Almost 72k new cases in the US today.  WTF

.....And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

I hated that song then and hate it now.  Its disrespectful to those that died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I hated that song then and hate it now.  Its disrespectful to those that died.

It was meant to be disrespectful to those who sent them to die.  Were you even around in those times?

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I hated that song then and hate it now.  Its disrespectful to those that died.

Well, there's a few ways to interpret it. I think they were mocking needless death, so in that way, it was not disrespectful. Trying to wake people up.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just weed whacking out front, and a woman drove by super, super slow, wearing a mast with a clipboard. I think she was narcing on anyone not wearing a mask. F that I was outside in my front yard. They can kiss my arse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Icecube said:

I think she was narcing on anyone not wearing a mask

As opposed, of course, to conservatives narcing on every college professor, black person, and hippie since 1971 for the thoughtcrime of existing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Icecube said:

I was just weed whacking out front, and a woman drove by super, super slow, wearing a mast with a clipboard. I think she was narcing on anyone not wearing a mask. F that I was outside in my front yard. They can kiss my arse. 

Weed whacking?    You should be wearing safety glasses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orion said:

Weed whacking?    You should be wearing safety glasses.

Cube was cited for not wearing his Weed'en Jersey... IahN.gif   Edit-- LB Jacob Phillips has signed his 3rd round rookie contract          

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100 years ago people routinely died from small cuts due to infection and sepsis - those were the most common cause of death in peacetime. Then antibiotics came, and it looked for a while like mass diseases were confined to history.

We may not be dying of microbes as much as we used to, but viruses are still with us, and in a way it was IMO a question of time. However, our society IMO is unprepared for it. The crude mortality rate (deaths/population) halved in the US between 1905 and 2005 (from about 1.66% to about 0.825%).

Maybe the last 70 years (from the end of WW2) could be more of a historical death rate aberration than the unchecked progress everyone (including me) assumed it was.

 

More and more countries that have cleared the virus out are and will be forming trade and travel bridges to each other.  And that growing incentive should motivate other countries to take this virus seriously. Either that or stay a pariah nation. Health is now the global passport, and nobody trusts the US any more.

Sure you have a bunch of whingers complaining about masks because of rights they have on their own private property. OK. But they do not get to go into stores, government offices, public or private transport, restaurants, etc. without one. Doesn't matter how small their gun is, their right to be comfortable does not trump other people’s right to not get infected. Does this sound too hard to do? Tell that to the people that twice had to give everything up to fight a world war last century. It can be done so long as the will to do so is there.

 

I’ve been preached to about “Responsibility” all my life from the same people who now run around ignoring theirs.  You actually want the “Economy” back in working order? Save the humans who constitute it.

 

“How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principals in his nature, which interest him in the fortune of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it except the pleasure of seeing it” - Adam Smith, Theory of Moral Sentiment

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

100 years ago people routinely died from small cuts due to infection and sepsis - those were the most common cause of death in peacetime. Then antibiotics came, and it looked for a while like mass diseases were confined to history.

We may not be dying of microbes as much as we used to, but viruses are still with us, and in a way it was IMO a question of time. However, our society IMO is unprepared for it. The crude mortality rate (deaths/population) halved in the US between 1905 and 2005 (from about 1.66% to about 0.825%).

Maybe the last 70 years (from the end of WW2) could be more of a historical death rate aberration than the unchecked progress everyone (including me) assumed it was.

 

More and more countries that have cleared the virus out are and will be forming trade and travel bridges to each other.  And that growing incentive should motivate other countries to take this virus seriously. Either that or stay a pariah nation. Health is now the global passport, and nobody trusts the US any more.

Sure you have a bunch of whingers complaining about masks because of rights they have on their own private property. OK. But they do not get to go into stores, government offices, public or private transport, restaurants, etc. without one. Doesn't matter how small their gun is, their right to be comfortable does not trump other people’s right to not get infected. Does this sound too hard to do? Tell that to the people that twice had to give everything up to fight a world war last century. It can be done so long as the will to do so is there.

 

I’ve been preached to about “Responsibility” all my life from the same people who now run around ignoring theirs.  You actually want the “Economy” back in working order? Save the humans who constitute it.

 

“How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principals in his nature, which interest him in the fortune of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it except the pleasure of seeing it” - Adam Smith, Theory of Moral Sentiment

Very true !    I've been battling with a tunneling hip wound for 6 years now mainly on/off but it has been serious at times and with some of the latest and in some cases "last chance" antibiotics.

I'm dealing with asteotomylitis (infection) of the femur and maybe pelvis right now with a maintenance antibiotic that I may be on for the rest of my life which is not a good thing when you're dealing with "bugs" and I'm almost 70.  I spent 25 weeks last year with two surgeries and the hospitalization and rehab last year.  My ID (infectious disease) doctor told me this year that they can't do that anymore in my case.

I don't care how big and bad and in good shape you are these microbes can get you.  I've had a nasty kidney infection, sepsis and several bouts with asteotomylitis now it can wear you out.

And some people think that a panvirus with no vaccine is no big thing......wrong !

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, Unsympathetic said:

As opposed, of course, to conservatives narcing on every college professor, black person, and hippie since 1971 for the thoughtcrime of existing.

Thinking Businessman Scratching Head Looking Up - MultiLing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how you "Law and Order" types flip on a dime when the law or order in question doesn't make you personally feel good.

 

Quoting your very own Gorsuch from the McGirt decision last Thursday : “Unlawful acts, performed long enough and with sufficient vigor, are never enough to amend the law.”

 

Real Americans wear masks - and in most municipalities, once you close the door, it's the law whether you like it or not.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21018449-8822-49e2-bca8-ce89be182eb5_1140x641.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can take this at face value, cause I'm not trying to clickbait or say I have anything other that speculation. BUT, I do work at a college institution with a G5 football program. My colleague is very good friends with the AD and someone I trust. They indicated in speaking with the AD the likelihood of college football is "virtually zero" unless there's a miracle cure or someone comes up with a "bubble" plan (which seems impossible). The OSU's of the world I'm sure will hold out until the very end, but don't be surprised if conferences like the AAC and Mountain West come out in the coming days with no Fall sports. The Big 10 announcement very obviously included an out of "there's a good chance we ain't playing".

NFL? Still not holding my breath. I don't see how fans in stands is remotely possible, which I suppose is okay. Don't get me wrong, I think hell or high water they'll be games week one. But what IMO will be inevitable is when the positive cases come soaring in and how they NFL has to ultimately react.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt the smaller conferences will be the leaders in this.  The SEC and Big 10 are going to hold out as long as possible.  It's Big money for the SEC and Big 10 schools.  They have already talked about no games out of conference. The smaller schools count on playing that game against Alabama or OSU to take their drubbing, but get a $600,000 check to do so.  It's money to keep the lower schools programs going, and gives the teams like Auburn a chance to play a few seniors who have only seem the field a few times and practice.

 

I think all big schools should schedule a small school.  It promotes the game of football.  Those smaller schools need that half a $mil. Plus, every now and then you end up with a Appy State going to the Big House and winning.  I am not anti- Michigan like most of you, but that is a good story.  Little guy wins once in a while.

 

The little Engine that could.

 

 

It works for both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

No doubt the smaller conferences will be the leaders in this.  The SEC and Big 10 are going to hold out as long as possible.  It's Big money for the SEC and Big 10 schools.  They have already talked about no games out of conference. The smaller schools count on playing that game against Alabama or OSU to take their drubbing, but get a $600,000 check to do so.  It's money to keep the lower schools programs going, and gives the teams like Auburn a chance to play a few seniors who have only seem the field a few times and practice.

 

I think all big schools should schedule a small school.  It promotes the game of football.  Those smaller schools need that half a $mil. Plus, every now and then you end up with a Appy State going to the Big House and winning.  I am not anti- Michigan like most of you, but that is a good story.  Little guy wins once in a while.

 

The little Engine that could.

 

 

It works for both.

Without fans in the stands would small school still get the 600K?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

No doubt the smaller conferences will be the leaders in this.  The SEC and Big 10 are going to hold out as long as possible.  It's Big money for the SEC and Big 10 schools.  They have already talked about no games out of conference. The smaller schools count on playing that game against Alabama or OSU to take their drubbing, but get a $600,000 check to do so.  It's money to keep the lower schools programs going, and gives the teams like Auburn a chance to play a few seniors who have only seem the field a few times and practice.

I think all big schools should schedule a small school.  It promotes the game of football.  Those smaller schools need that half a $mil. Plus, every now and then you end up with a Appy State going to the Big House and winning.  I am not anti- Michigan like most of you, but that is a good story.  Little guy wins once in a while.

The little Engine that could.

It works for both.

This is going to be a bad thing for all size schools, the big schools with their big budget athletic programs (women's included) some virtually supported by the football programs.  Their big buck massive capital improvement and expansion projects some just to keep up with the other schools and their big buck projects to attract and hold the 4 and 5 star athletes -and- keep the school boosters happy that write those big checks for everything else.

It goes right through the mid range schools all the way down to the small schools just trying to keep their athletic programs alive.  Even some big schools are going to be hurting with what is going on.

And the TV money and networks with the huge TV contracts which are the lifeblood of all sports have a BIG stake in all of this to keep feeding that now massive food chain.

2020 is going to be a bad year for everyone from pee-wee to professional sports with some repercussions felt into 2021 and beyond..... Olympics included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, The Gipper said:

It was meant to be disrespectful to those who sent them to die.  Were you even around in those times?

That song was a sarcastic response to the feelings of a lot of under 25 year olds at the time that it was a needless war fought in a godforsaken jungle. and now our enemies are our friends... 

On 7/13/2020 at 7:48 AM, Unsympathetic said:

More and more countries that have cleared the virus out are and will be forming trade and travel bridges to each other.  And that growing incentive should motivate other countries to take this virus seriously. Either that or stay a pariah nation. Health is now the global passport, and nobody trusts the US any more.

Sure you have a bunch of whingers complaining about masks because of rights they have on their own private property. OK. But they do not get to go into stores, government offices, public or private transport, restaurants, etc. without one. Doesn't matter how small their gun is, their right to be comfortable does not trump other people’s right to not get infected. Does this sound too hard to do? Tell that to the people that twice had to give everything up to fight a world war last century. It can be done so long as the will to do so is there.

I’ve been preached to about “Responsibility” all my life from the same people who now run around ignoring theirs.  You actually want the “Economy” back in working order? Save the humans who constitute it.

“How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principals in his nature, which interest him in the fortune of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it except the pleasure of seeing it” - Adam Smith, Theory of Moral Sentiment

Hey- we're #1- in cases and deaths in the world, who could want more?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 3:23 PM, Unsympathetic said:

As opposed, of course, to conservatives narcing on every college professor, black person, and hippie since 1971 for the thoughtcrime of existing.

And which one of your college professors fed you that garbage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 11:40 PM, Orion said:

Almost 72k new cases in the US today.  WTF

.....And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

The death rate is down. CNN must have forgotten  to report that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 9:42 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Funny how you "Law and Order" types flip on a dime when the law or order in question doesn't make you personally feel good.

 

That's right there in the top ten of the most ignorant things you've said. There are laws and there are mandates.

Perhaps learn the definition:

mandate is an official or authoritative command; an order or injunction; a commission; a judicial precept while law is (uncountable) the body of rules and standards issued by a government, or to be applied by courts and similar authorities or law can be (obsolete) a tumulus of stones.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Gorka said:

The death rate is down. CNN must have forgotten  to report that.

The hospitals and medical community are getting better at handling this virus unfortunately through months of practice.

The death toll stands at 138,040.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×