THE BROWNS BOARD

Football and coronavirus

Orion

20 minutes ago, Barry said:

That temperature thing was thrown out to the public, like a lot of other crap, with little to no facts backing it up.

That depends upon who one was listening to.

The medical scientists that I watched and read said that they were 'hoping' that the hot weather would have an affect like it does with the flu but there was no telling if it would or not.

I have a bad feeling that there isn't going to be a 2020 NFL season.

There was fear that the second wave would hit during the season... but the first wave won't go away. In some places, there's an uptick. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:21 PM, Orion said:

The medical scientists that I watched and read said that they were 'hoping' that the hot weather would have an affect like it does with the flu but there was no telling if it would or not.

One reason why the colds and flu every year go down in the summer is that the kids aren't in school and people aren't as cooped up in warm houses going into fall and winter.

This year will be different because it is a highly contagious pandemic with NO vaccine yet.  If they found an effective vaccine it will still take months or longer to get it in 300,000,000 people in the USA......minus the idiots that don't believe in vaccines.

......I wouldn't bet on any 2020 contact sports.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:21 PM, Orion said:

I was talking about the anti-science people who were using it as one of many excuses to downplay the virus.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

One reason why the colds and flu every year go down in the summer is that the kids aren't in school and people aren't as cooped up in warm houses going into fall and winter.

Also, your body doesn't have to work so hard just to keep you warm like the winter.  It's got plenty of resources to draw from. 

Supposedly the humidity has something to do with it also.  The flu doesn't like the heat and humidity (seems counterintuitive to me).  Apparently COVID doesn't care what the ambient temps are.  I have noticed though that some of the southern hemisphere countries are getting hit harder now that they're headed into winter.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 9:27 AM, Dutch Oven said:

I have a bad feeling that there isn't going to be a 2020 NFL season.

There was fear that the second wave would hit during the season... but the first wave won't go away. In some places, there's an uptick. 

https://www.theblaze.com/news/coronavirus-has-significantly-weakened-could-disappear-without-vaccine-top-doctor-reveals

No there's not. There is only an "uptick" in positive tests but that can be because there is more testing going on, but the tests were never proven accurate to begin with. 

The # of people dying is dropping big time. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Icecube said:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/coronavirus-has-significantly-weakened-could-disappear-without-vaccine-top-doctor-reveals

No there's not. There is only an "uptick" in positive tests but that can be because there is more testing going on, but the tests were never proven accurate to begin with. 

The # of people dying is dropping big time. 

I hope you’re right but I clearly do not trust your source which is highly biased and outright dishonest at  times

44 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I hope you’re right but I clearly do not trust your source which is highly biased and outright dishonest at  times

Perhaps, but the most dishonest source I know is mainstream US media. And I mean all of it, even local news takes its marching orders from the same folks who dictate to CNN, NBC, CBS, Fox - all of them. I don't trust anything mainstream media says until I look into it. The obvious narrative by the MSM is to exaggerate dangers. The govt. wants us afraid so they can control us. They are also stoking the racial tension flames. And for a reason: keep the people divided and at each others' throats. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Icecube said:

And for a reason: keep the people divided and at each others' throats. 

It seems to be working...

For example, I feel this overwhelming feeling to tell you to go fuck yourself.

DAMN MEDIA! 

7 hours ago, Icecube said:

Perhaps, but the most dishonest source I know is mainstream US media. And I mean all of it, even local news takes its marching orders from the same folks who dictate to CNN, NBC, CBS, Fox - all of them. I don't trust anything mainstream media says until I look into it. The obvious narrative by the MSM is to exaggerate dangers. The govt. wants us afraid so they can control us. They are also stoking the racial tension flames. And for a reason: keep the people divided and at each others' throats. 

^ Just wanted to make sure it gets read again.

...... and again. 

• Upvote 1

Face it folks.  There will be no football this season, and possibly ever.  We haven't found a vaccine for Ebola, or even the common cold.

The world has changed.  Understand that and it makes it easier.  The NFL will fold after this year.  At least several of the teams will.  Just like thousands of restaurants have closed, you can't keep paying rent, payroll, insurance, etc. if you don't have a steady stream of cash rolling in the door.  

NFL owners are rich people, but most are pretty leveraged in buying that team and building stadiums. How long to you think they are going to ride it out?  A NFL team is a bad investment if you can't play games or host concerts in the stadium you just sunk $600 million in to as your part of a public/private investment..  Sooner or later you are going to see owners cutting their losses.  Trust me, several owners are already talking about it and planning the best exit strategy.  

I don't think there are many buyers for NFL teams at the moment.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Icecube said:

the most dishonest source I know is mainstream US media. And I mean all of it

They portray the 'news' in such a way as to get clicks, sell papers and/or get you to tune in on your TV.  If a white guy is killed by a cop then it's reported as part of the news, but if a black guy is killed by a cop then that story has the potential to create all kinds of related news such as demonstrations, riots, looting, etc.  

4 hours ago, Orion said:

If a white guy is killed by a cop then it's reported as part of the news, but if a black guy is killed by a cop then that story has 

1) White supremacists traded in their boots for suits and more likely than not are the police force member who did that killing.  When you hear and use the term alt-right, that's a rebranding of white supremacy created by.. white supremacists.

2) History of police in the US.  First police in the South were.. slave patrols.

Note, of course, that police corruption has been much worse and more violent throughout the history of the US -- that doesn't make it right, it does however center any discussion in reality and away from the fantasy of "justice is blind" that many appear to assume.  Gipper may very well have done his best to be honorable.. can't say the same for other justices or police however.  "The Third Degree" is a euphemism for torture.

3) Remember that the chief issue is ECONOMIC and that those of both parties who play the identity politics game are the corrupt ones.. because they want credit for acknowledging without making any change.  Welfare benefits.. help vastly more white people than black people [5x more white people in poverty in the US than black people].  As we have seen with the last 10 years of bailout, there is no shortage of money.. unless you're not already rich.

Fun: The Confederate States of America was a repressive antidemocratic state devoted to white supremacy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Face it folks.  There will be no football this season, and possibly ever.  We haven't found a vaccine for Ebola, or even the common cold.

The world has changed.  Understand that and it makes it easier.  The NFL will fold after this year.  At least several of the teams will.  Just like thousands of restaurants have closed, you can't keep paying rent, payroll, insurance, etc. if you don't have a steady stream of cash rolling in the door.  

NFL owners are rich people, but most are pretty leveraged in buying that team and building stadiums. How long to you think they are going to ride it out?  A NFL team is a bad investment if you can't play games or host concerts in the stadium you just sunk $600 million in to as your part of a public/private investment..  Sooner or later you are going to see owners cutting their losses.  Trust me, several owners are already talking about it and planning the best exit strategy.  

I don't think there are many buyers for NFL teams at the moment.

I just don't think so.  Maybe it could be, but I doubt it. 

6 hours ago, Orion said:

They portray the 'news' in such a way as to get clicks, sell papers and/or get you to tune in on your TV.  If a white guy is killed by a cop then it's reported as part of the news, but if a black guy is killed by a cop then that story has the potential to create all kinds of related news such as demonstrations, riots, looting, etc.  

While the above contains some truth, it is not as simple as just that. There is an agenda by those who own/control the media. and it's nefarious. 

Does any of this seem like a slam dunk ?

......Schefter reported that the Cowboys and Steelers will play in the 2021 Hall of Fame Game. The enshrinement of the 2020 Hall of Fame class will take place in 2021, but a new date has not been announced.

Rich Desrosiers, VP of communications for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was optimistic that fans could be in the stands as recently as mid-June.......

Other sports will be getting underway before football so football's fate might be tied to how those sports do.  

We're already seeing golfers pulling out of tournaments because they or their caddy has tested positive.

I think everybody wants to see football start up.  Everyone.  For the morale of the people and the country.  But man, the US is getting 30,000+ new cases per day.  (40k today, and almost 650 new deaths).  

The way things are going, I think the NFL will try mightily to get a season in this year...but inevitably players on many teams will start testing positive and the league will be forced to put the season on hold.  I mean, whaddaya do if your whole QB room has to quarantine?  

I certainly hope they play.  After all, direct tv gave me the ticket for free this year, for being a loyal customer.  So, of course there won't be a season!

Face masks save lives -  Love it, you non-mask-wearing people.  The rest of the world is now considering quarantining inbound travelers only from the US - but hey, you couldn't possibly be wrong!  

Note the lags in time before effects show: "Nearly 80 per cent of the Covid-19 deaths reported in early June could be linked to people’s reluctance to wear a face mask in mid-March".  [wearing a mask in mid-April isn't part of the dataset because those pop early July]

Description of all the earlier time lags in testing, resulting, collating, reporting info between states

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Face masks save lives -  Love it, you non-mask-wearing people.  The rest of the world is now considering quarantining inbound travelers only from the US - but hey, you couldn't possibly be wrong!  

Note the lags in time before effects show: "Nearly 80 per cent of the Covid-19 deaths reported in early June could be linked to people’s reluctance to wear a face mask in mid-March".  [wearing a mask in mid-April isn't part of the dataset because those pop early July]

Description of all the earlier time lags in testing, resulting, collating, reporting info between states

Real Mericans don't need no stupid mask.  MAGA!

22 hours ago, Orion said:

I certainly hope they play.  After all, direct tv gave me the ticket for free this year, for being a loyal customer.  So, of course there won't be a season!

Free? What secret code did Chang in Seattle give you?;) Am 9 years in with the NFL ticket & Bertha in Buffalo (a-pair-Ain't-Wie) can't stand a Browns fan..From what i could barely understand 🙃 now that the English language is foreign...

Full season NFL Ticket is 297 Bucks...or 79 bucko's per month... if games are postponed? "You will be charged the monthly fee! Can I debit your card Please? 😮

Bertha's Stupid-visor is to call me back MuuN/Day...I can Barely Wait... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Free? What secret code did Chang in Seattle give you?;) Am 9 years in with the NFL ticket

...and there lies your mistake.  ;)  The day after they traded Trent Richardson away (which turned out to be a great move) I called 'em up and cancelled my Sunday Ticket.  And I haven't had it since.  I'm assuming that this is to try and lure me back.  

30 minutes ago, Orion said:

The day after they traded Trent Richardson away (which turned out to be a great move) 

It was a great move, only to be completely wasted the next spring by using the 1st rounder from the Colts on Billy Manziel. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Orion said:

The day after they traded Trent Richardson away (which turned out to be a great move) I called 'em up and cancelled my Sunday Ticket.  And I haven't had it since.  I'm assuming that this is to try and lure me back.  

the coach Chud, 2013 season..Bengals 11-5/ Pitt & Birds 8-8/ Browns 4-12 :(...  and the Browns finished last again in 2014.. but with a 7-9 record...I got no clue what any of this means 🤓.. but congrats on not paying for The HueJax chit-show era...

We have not seen more than 8 wins in any season for 13 years... so if Orion breaks that streak, watching the nfl ticket for free? Your Band may need some Tour dates to pay up in 2021.. C78.gif   Win #8... gO brOwns!!    

• Like 1