THE BROWNS BOARD

Football and coronavirus

Orion

How do you social ditance Football?   Do you test players, and get the results, on gameday morning so as not to infect the other team?   And if somebody tests positive, is the game cancelled?  I mean, most of the rest of the team with the positive result will have to quarantine right?  The whole contact tracing thing....

That aside, here's some of their current COVID rules:

a. Clubs must establish physical distancing protocols to allow players and/or staff to maintain six fee of distance from one another when inside the facility.

b. Clubs are required to promote physical distancing by rearranging or removing furniture and/or using distance marker to assure spacing (e.g., workstations, meeting rooms), modifying the use of common areas, displaying signs that discourage hand shaking or other contact, and using cones or tape to establish a one-way traffic in hallways and common corridors where possible.

c. Clubs must reconfigure locker rooms to permit six feet of space between each player (by using every other locker or adding additional lockers) where possible. Each player must have individual space designated to store his belongings, without commingling, if locker space is unavailable.

d. Strength and conditioning workouts must be limited to small groups (no more than 15) of scheduled players to allow for physical distancing. The athletic training staff must require individual, staggered player appointments instead of setting a single time for large groups to arrive. Clubs must stagger other player appointments, meetings and workouts at the facility in order to permit physical distancing.

e. Meetings must be conducted virtually to the extent possible. If in-person meetings are necessary, Clubs must make efforts to hold in-person meetings outdoors with participants sitting apart from one another and wearing masks. In-person meetings that do not permit physical distancing are prohibited. Meetings with more than twenty individuals must be conducted virtually, unless physical distancing practices can be adhered to. Communal use of materials, devices, or supplies during meetings ins prohibited. Any administrative, playbook, and advanced work should be conducted on a personal electronic device.

Additionally noted in the multi-page memo is a requirement for players to wear masks "except when interfering with 'athletic activities'", as they are guided around their facility by cones and signs that are set up to force one-way traffic in communal areas. 

The memo falls short of identifying the frequency in which players and staff will be tested for coronavirus -- indication talks are still ongoing and players may still be weeks away from being allowed to physically get back to working with coaches. Although necessary, the new COVID-19 policies create an interesting set of questions for each team. Considering some locker rooms are "smaller" than others, there's inherent bewilderment as to how clubs will create the required social distancing in a situation wherein 90 players are to report, prior to final roster cutdowns in late August the reduce the headcount to 55. 

That is why I don't see a season being played.  You can't play a season when a team or three can't play for 2 weeks.  Football has no mechanism to play make-up games.  You play a team once in a season.  They don't make 2-3 visits to a city each season where you can schedule a double header to make it up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

That is why I don't see a season being played.  You can't play a season when a team or three can't play for 2 weeks.  Football has no mechanism to play make-up games.  You play a team once in a season.  They don't make 2-3 visits to a city each season where you can schedule a double header to make it up.

Ahh....talk about nostalgic:    bring back the old pre-season doubleheaders like they used to have at Cleveland Municipal Stadium.   Who remembers those?  (I do).   Of course, that was when the league did not expect the preseason games to be a major source of revenue like they do now. 

4 ball boys in hazmat garb will run onto the field with hand sanitizer after each play.  =  Hurry Up offense banned.

No physical contact after the whistle.  = No handshakes, no pats on the back, no helping a guy up, etc.

-- I was allowed back to work recently.  Only 1 person allowed in an elevator, restroom or designated lunch area (20 minute blocks for lunch - vanish into oblivion for the other 40 minutes, then return to work).  It's a very strange world.  

32 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I saw where Zeke Elliott has tested positive.

No way this season is being played.

I've been watching the numbers daily.  Quite interested in Texas because relatives live there and there was a wedding that we were supposed to attend but did not.

Texas (and Florida) have been exploding with cases.

I heard today that several Texan & Cowboy players have tested positive.

Yep, and this is going to be wave after wave.

We can open up some if people act right.

Keep space, wear masks, wash hands.  It's the new norm.  Be a citizen.  But, unfortunately, we have a large portion of people who don't give a shit.  They don't care about you and I, thus, I'd like to poke their eyes out with my dick.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why this is new to anyone.

Over the last 10 years, multiple high school football seasons at least in the North have seen every game start w both teams line up and have their face/arms/legs sprayed to prevent spread of EEE.

Can't imagine zika/dengue and other occasional ones like mers/sars are much different in the south. 

What's the difference w adding a mask? 

All the "free" ones that you'll be required to wear if you forget your personal one should have the flag promoting the murder of US armed forces on it - the flag of the Confederacy.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I've been watching the numbers daily.  Quite interested in Texas because relatives live there and there was a wedding that we were supposed to attend but did not.

Texas (and Florida) have been exploding with cases.

I heard today that several Texan & Cowboy players have tested positive.

I am leaving for Texas in just a bit over two weeks, for my daughters wedding.  So, yes, it is a major concern. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I am leaving for Texas in just a bit over two weeks, for my daughters wedding.  So, yes, it is a major concern. 

Best of luck!

My daughter got back from there a couple of weeks ago (she was the only one of the twelve of us up here that went to the wedding)

-------  as of 8:pm Texas got another 2,094 new cases,  Calif 2,667,   Florida 1,758.  That encompasses almost half a conference worth of teams.   In Mass we're wearing masks and social distancing (only 87 new cases today).  Pictures and video from my daughter at the wedding in Texas showed nobody wearing masks, dancing the various wedding dances, etc.  I've seen pictures of Florida bar scenes of people wall to wall, right on top of one another.  They're destined to be sent back into their homes.

It doesn't seem like COVID is susceptible to the hot weather like the flu.  At least not in hot states like CA, TX & FL.  And actually we can throw Arizona in there too.  They've been getting whacked lately.  Another thousand today.  

IMO, we have to social distance until a vaccine is found.  And that could be quite a while from now.   

The hell with worrying about a football season. Look around with what the rest of the world is doing. We are doing the worse of all the major countries in dealing with this thing by far. We are so concerned with masks equating to individual liberties, opening up the economy ASAP, ignoring social distancing, in short, not having legal consequences when people disregard the public safety, that we will drag this thing out until a vaccine is produced and distributed. Note the numbers on the left. Our baseline is currently about 4x the number of cases of the average high of the other countries'.

image.thumb.png.86f58bffce6e67e4e7ea549a88fb71cc.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/13/2020 at 5:52 AM, ballpeen said:

they need to shitcan this season.....until there is a vaccine, it's stupid....fauci and the other experts say there will be a second wave this fall into the winter....why start something when you will not be able to finish....unless they do a watered down version later on....then, who the fuck cares anyway....of course the fucking owners will be bitching about there moola.....fuck them....

I also have serious doubts about a season this year & have since this started. More like no games & season ticket money will be applied to next year's STs (which I expect may damn near double). They're setting the table by letting us know how LOW our ticket prices are. Besides, if they don't raise prices for next year, parking will cost more than a ticket. In my section, we had games at $50.00 per & parking is now $50.00.

Mike

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I also have serious doubts about a season this year & have since this started. More like no games & season ticket money will be applied to next year's STs (which I expect may damn near double). They're setting the table by letting us know how LOW our ticket prices are. Besides, if they don't raise prices for next year, parking will cost more than a ticket. In my section, we had games at $50.00 per & parking is now $50.00.

Mike

You can find cheap parking.  Try the flats.  It was up to $15 last season from $10.  It's a bit of a walk, but you can also take the waterfront line to the footsteps of the stadium for $5.  

I  usually stay at a Marriott Courtyard out in Middleburgh Heights, near the airport. Last year, after I discovered lots in the warehouse district were charging $50 for parking, I started parking at the Brookpark Rapid station and taking the train downtown.  The lot is patrolled and secure, it costs $5 for a day pass, and eliminates a lot of driving after a day of drinking.

Walk to the Terminal Tower, ride out to Brookpark, then a 5-6 mile drive to the hotel.  That is what I am doing from now on.  Cheaper and safer, and really doesn't take much longer by the time you fight you way out of a crowded downtown to get to the interstate.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

You can find cheap parking.  Try the flats.  It was up to $15 last season from $10.  It's a bit of a walk, but you can also take the waterfront line to the footsteps of the stadium for $5.  

I  usually stay at a Marriott Courtyard out in Middleburgh Heights, near the airport. Last year, after I discovered lots in the warehouse district were charging $50 for parking, I started parking at the Brookpark Rapid station and taking the train downtown.  The lot is patrolled and secure, it costs $5 for a day pass, and eliminates a lot of driving after a day of drinking.

Walk to the Terminal Tower, ride out to Brookpark, then a 5-6 mile drive to the hotel.  That is what I am doing from now on.  Cheaper and safer, and really doesn't take much longer by the time you fight you way out of a crowded downtown to get to the interstate.

Thanks for your suggestions. I DO use the rapid whenever we're not tailgating, but the days of crowded rapids may be done for quite some time & could possibly add significantly to the wait time for a train after the games. As far as a longer walk goes, 73 years & bum knees say NO (LOL). I think I'm probably transferring my season tics to my Son in Law. That way, I'll still be able to hit some games with him in Cleveland & enjoy my "at home" tailgates with fried fish, fried turkey, smoked brisket, pulled pork, grilled stuff, & some new recipes.

Mike

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

& parking is now $50.00.

Is there an option to take a train in?   

If I was going with my son to Foxborough we'd catch the Patriots Train at a train stop along the route (which was next town over for us).  Got us there about a half hour before the game and left a half hour after.  Obviously there's no tailgating, but  no fighting traffic either.  -  it wasn't a train painted in Patriots graphics or anything but it drops off right at the bottom of the little hill that the stadium is on...about a 200 yard walk.

5 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Thanks for your suggestions. I DO use the rapid whenever we're not tailgating, but the days of crowded rapids may be done for quite some time & could possibly add significantly to the wait time for a train after the games. As far as a longer walk goes, 73 years & bum knees say NO (LOL). I think I'm probably transferring my season tics to my Son in Law. That way, I'll still be able to hit some games with him in Cleveland & enjoy my "at home" tailgates with fried fish, fried turkey, smoked brisket, pulled pork, grilled stuff, & some new recipes.

Mike

Good point on the train and social distancing.  I am going on the assumption the coast is clear.  My feeling is if it isn't safe to get on the train, it isn't safe to pack 65,000 in to a stadium.

15 hours ago, browns52 said:

until there is a vaccine, it's stupid

It's by no means a guarantee or something worth betting on.

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I am going on the assumption the coast is clear

In the states that rushed to re-open, new case numbers this week are their highest ever.

Aaaand.. Second wave shutdowns starting today in Florida!

cases..

were talking about cases  

hospitalizations? deaths?   not even recoveries ?    but cases man... (alan iverson) 

here you go - this guy is among you mask people here sheesh - https://www.dailywire.com/news/bad-news-fauci-nfl-season-may-not-happen?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dwbrand

17 hours ago, Orion said:

Those are voluntary closings.  But it won't surprise me if they're sent back into their houses.

sucks....we have been going to captiva for the last 15yrs or so....its beautiful there....they started a music festival a few yrs back...its awesome....doesn't look like its going to happen this yr....not officially cancelled ......yet.....but it does not look good......

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But wait...didn't the expert on everything say it was just going to disappear with the summer heat? 

these so called experts are morons.....wasn't the virus escalating in s korea or one of those countries out there where the weather is hot in jan and feb....duh.....

54 minutes ago, browns52 said:

these so called experts are morons.....wasn't the virus escalating in s korea or one of those countries out there where the weather is hot in jan and feb....duh.....

South Korea is cold as hell in Jan and Feb.  I think you're thinking of Australia which is in the southern hemisphere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, browns52 said:

"Those" experts are just one guy that I know of.  And, yea, you need to get yourself a map or a globe.  The dividing line between North and South Korea is the 38th parallel,    which in the US  would be about the latitude of Lexington KY,   St. Louis,  KC, Denver, Salt Lake

This thing about warm weather came out in Feb-March I believe. At the time I looked at data from Chile, Brazil and Argentina, which was having temperatures of 80+. Just like Australia, they were experiencing more and more cases of Covid-19. That temperature thing was thrown out to the public, like a lot of other crap, with little to no facts backing it up.

I also remember Thailand saying in February that they found a cure based upon mixing some herbs together.

Joined the group of "quit listening to these NFL media morons".. like weeks ago.. All Football Media has one sole purpose, and that's to sell &  promote the sport that pays them'..Can't say I don't blame them;)... but..

Each teams players, to the top of the football chain, have wives, kids, family & a short lifetime of loot... Sooo, missing one pandemic season might become on their* choice?

Too many smart,sharp guys in this business of the likes of John Harbaugh,  telling Roger that "your 8 page training camp memo are not suitable in NFL camps"

just my opinion, but JC Tretter in pressers & media events, has been outstanding in his early tender as head of the players union... 👍

Still time, to mend some rules.. https://brownszone.com/2020/06/14/commentary-memos-are-great-but-nfl-still-has-plenty-of-issues-to-solve-before-players-return/     

I've seen articles of special masking/ newly formed Oakley face shields.. all in testing..

I still have slim hopes for a season 🤞.. but the opening of training camps, with 2 Pre-season games... may be enough to pull the plug?.. or... Are You Ready for Some 🏈😷  

• Like 1