THE BROWNS BOARD

Been a hard month for the Confederate States of America

cccjwh

U.S. Marines banning their flag in public spaces.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2020/06/06/marine-corps-bars-public-display-of-confederate-flag-on-installations/

U.S. Navy is following their lead and also banning their flag and symbols 

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/501921-navy-to-ban-confederate-flag-symbols-from-its-bases-and-ships

U.S. Army is considering a ban as well

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2020/06/10/army-leaders-to-make-decision-on-confederate-flags-soon/

U.S. Army also considering rename military bases names after leaders

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/501882-petraeus-time-to-remove-names-of-confederate-traitors-like-benning-bragg-from

A bunch of their monuments celebrating their heroes have been destroyed or removed

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n7wbxk/confederate-statues-and-other-symbols-of-racism-all-over-the-country-were-destroyed-by-protesters-this-weekend

UPDATE: NASCAR banned the Confederate flag from its races and properties

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/nascar-bans-confederate-flag-races-properties-71182718

I never understood why people celebrated traitors to our country. Nice to see the practice is going out of style. You can remember history without celebrating it. 

1 hour ago, cccjwh said:

You can remember history without celebrating it. 

I don't care about flags, since they're burnable anyway.  But statues are just art.  Lots and lots of shitty people have statues that people respect simply because it's a work of art.  I guess that makes me racist.

1 hour ago, cccjwh said:

You can remember history without celebrating it. 

This is exactly the point that many posters here will refuse to or be unable to understand. No one is saying we forget our history, but that's what libraries and museums are for. We don't need statues glorifying a nation/faction we went to war with as they fought to keep slavery. 

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

This is exactly the point that many posters here will refuse to or be unable to understand. No one is saying we forget our history, but that's what libraries and museums are for. We don't need statues glorifying a nation/faction we went to war with as they fought to keep slavery. 

Sure, the rioters were prepping it for shipping to a museum.  Got it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, htownbrown said:

I don't care about flags, since they're burnable anyway.  But statues are just art.  Lots and lots of shitty people have statues that people respect simply because it's a work of art.  I guess that makes me racist.

Why are statues created of a person? To honor that person. Why are we "still" honoring traitors to our country? 

5 minutes ago, cccjwh said:

Why are statues created of a person? To honor that person. Why are we "still" honoring traitors to our country? 

So when you go to Mt. Rushmore, let's say, do you salute it, play the trumpet, and say a little prayer?  Or do you just go to see it for the spectacle that it is?

If I went to see any of these "racist traitor" statues, it wouldn't be out if honor.  

Furthermore, if you took a modern day black American and dropped him off in that era of this country, do you really believe they would have respected what they saw happening in the north?  Geographic location has never had anything to do with racism in this country.

Go read the Jungle by Upton Sinclair and then come back here and tell me how amazingly blacks were treated in the north.  

And don't get me started with the "traitor" talk because there is nothing comparable, in the history of this country, to the modern day left when it comes to American principles. 

7 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

So when you go to Mt. Rushmore, let's say, do you salute it, play the trumpet, and say a little prayer?  Or do you just go to see it for the spectacle that it is?

If I went to see any of these "racist traitor" statues, it wouldn't be out if honor.  

Furthermore, if you took a modern day black American and dropped him off in that era of this country, do you really believe they would have respected what they saw happening in the north?  Geographic location has never had anything to do with racism in this country.

Go read the Jungle by Upton Sinclair and then come back here and tell me how amazingly blacks were treated in the north.  

And don't get me started with the "traitor" talk because there is nothing comparable, in the history of this country, to the modern day left when it comes to American principles. 

I didn't ask why people go to see the statues. I asked why statues of individuals are created? There are around 700 CSA statues all over the south, I don't think many people go out of their way to see them. So comparing Mt Rushmore to CSA monuments is not apples to apples comparison. "Traitor" is pretty simple (not sure why you inserted racist?). Just because they were all pardoned for "treason against the United States". Doesn't mean they were never traitors, just means their crime was forgiven.

What? They gonna take away the tribute my great great uncle's 8th Texas Rangers Cav? 😁

It's only on the state Capital Grounds.😁 Well last I went through there it was anyway.

At least the Confederate Money my thievin' Yankee in-laws gave back to me in reparations hasn't been asked for. 🙄

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry's_Texas_Rangers#/media/File:TerrysRangers.jpg

What are they gonna do about Mississippi's state flag?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Mississippi#/media/File:Flag_of_Mississippi.svg 

Or the Georgia State Flag-notice how many stars coincide with the number of Confederate States just like the Battle flag.?

Flag of Georgia (U.S. state)

Flag of Georgia (U.S. state)

Lessor known was the Confederate National Flag.

Flags of the Confederate States of America

Flags of the Confederate States of America

Coincidence maybe?  LOL!🤣

13 minutes ago, cccjwh said:

I didn't ask why people go to see the statues. I asked why statues of individuals are created? There are around 700 CSA statues all over the south, I don't think many people go out of their way to see them. So comparing Mt Rushmore to CSA monuments is not apples to apples comparison. "Traitor" is pretty simple

(not sure why you inserted racist?). Haha Ok

Just because they were all pardoned for "treason against the United States". Doesn't mean they were never traitors, just means their crime was forgiven.

What difference does it make if they were made to honor someone, if that's not why people keep them around now?  And if that's the case, it is apples to apples.

Listen, you and apparently Woody, are going to justify any destruction of random shit you find appalling.  So enjoy your "victory".  I'm not even passionate about this shit.

I'm just going to say, it accomplished not one thing to destroy them.  All these bullshit symbolic battles mean nothing.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

What difference does it make if they were made to honor someone, if that's not why people keep them around now?  And if that's the case, it is apples to apples.

Listen, you and apparently Woody, are going to justify any destruction of random shit you find appalling.  So enjoy your "victory".  I'm not even passionate about this shit.

I'm just going to say, it accomplished not one thing to destroy them.  All these bullshit symbolic battles mean nothing.

- no, I won't

- congrats on not being passionate?

- symbolic battles absolutely mean something. There's meaning to not have to see a statue honoring someone that fought to keep people enslaved 

Not to mention the fact that a good number of Confederate monuments and symbols were put in place long after the civil war as acts against the civil rights movement or to just promote white supremacy and Jim crow laws of the time. 

1 hour ago, htownbrown said:

Don't waste your time the Democrats only know how to destroy not build.

I only served in the US at Ft. Bragg and Ft. Benning and now they are considering changing the names. Well Ft. Benning, Georgia should obviously become Ft. Sherman since he burned Atlanta up the road apiece. Do I here a second from any of you Ohioans?😂

However there is one caveat. Ft. Sherman in the Canal Zone where I went to jungle school would have to be renamed for my grandfather who commanded it when it was a coastal artillery base. 🙄

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

- no, I won't

You already have.

- congrats on not being passionate?

Thanks.

- symbolic battles absolutely mean something. There's meaning to not have to see a statue honoring someone that fought to keep people enslaved 

Well that's pretty vague.  Are people freer? Safer?  More educated?  Better living conditions?  Better health?  Tell us exactly how people are better from not seeing a statue, Woody.  Wait...are you about to make a spiritual argument?  Does this help the soul, Woody?  

Not to mention the fact that a good number of Confederate monuments and symbols were put in place long after the civil war as acts against the civil rights movement or to just promote white supremacy and Jim crow laws of the time. 

Then don't look.  No one made any of you worthy of the decision to remove them.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Really? 1984? lol jesus. "A movie isn't on HBO Max for the time being! The world is falling apart!"

So you're against revisionist history? Like, oh, idk,.... Gone With The Wind?

Hattie McDaniel

Hattie McDaniel (June 10, 1893 – October 26, 1952) was an American actress, singer-songwriter, and comedian. She is best known for her role as "Mammy" in Gone with the Wind (1939), for which she won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, becoming the first African American to win an Oscar.

14 hours ago, htownbrown said:

Thanks I'm enjoying it. Long over due. They can remove them all and make a Confederate States of America museum. Here are some statues of a bunch of losers that fought to keep people as slaves. Luckily the United States of America destroyed their nation and freed them all. 

3 hours ago, cccjwh said:

Thanks I'm enjoying it. Long over due. They can remove them all and make a Confederate States of America museum. Here are some statues of a bunch of losers that fought to keep people as slaves. Luckily the United States of America destroyed their nation and freed them all. 

You do realize it was the Democrats who wanted to keep slavery right they created the KKK, it was the Republicans that fought to end slavery...the real reason they want history erased.

1 minute ago, Vambo said:

You do realize it was the Democrats who wanted to keep slavery right they created the KKK, it was the Republicans that fought to end slavery...the real reason they want history erased.

You do realize it was the Conservatives who wanted to keep slavery right they created the KKK, it was the progressives that fought to end slavery. Yet again. You can remember history without celebrating it.

But you say you are conservative—eminently conservative—while we are revolutionary, destructive, or something of the sort. What is conservatism? Is it not adherence to the old and tried, against the new and untried? We stick to, contend for, the identical old policy on the point in controversy which was adopted by "our fathers who framed the Government under which we live"; while you with one accord reject, and scout, and spit upon that old policy, and insist upon substituting something new. True, you disagree among yourselves as to what that substitute shall be. You are divided into new propositions and plans, but you are unanimous in rejecting and denouncing the old policy of the fathers. Some of you are for reviving the foreign slave trade; some for a Congressional Slave-Code for the Territories; some for Congress forbidding the Territories to prohibit Slavery within their limits; some for maintaining Slavery in the Territories through the judiciary; some for the "gur-reat pur-rinciple" that "if one man would enslave another, no third man should object", fantastically called "Popular Sovereignty"; but never a man among you is in favor of federal prohibition of slavery in federal territories, according to the practice of "our fathers who framed the Government under which we live". Not one of all your various plans can show a precedent or an advocate in the century within which our Government originated. Consider, then, whether your claim of conservatism for yourselves and your charge of destructiveness against us, are based on the clearest and stable foundations. - Cooper Union speech Abraham Lincoln

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Union_speech

2 minutes ago, cccjwh said:

You do realize it was the Conservatives who wanted to keep slavery right they created the KKK, it was the progressives that fought to end slavery. Yet again. You can remember history without celebrating it.

But you say you are conservative—eminently conservative—while we are revolutionary, destructive, or something of the sort. What is conservatism? Is it not adherence to the old and tried, against the new and untried? We stick to, contend for, the identical old policy on the point in controversy which was adopted by "our fathers who framed the Government under which we live"; while you with one accord reject, and scout, and spit upon that old policy, and insist upon substituting something new. True, you disagree among yourselves as to what that substitute shall be. You are divided into new propositions and plans, but you are unanimous in rejecting and denouncing the old policy of the fathers. Some of you are for reviving the foreign slave trade; some for a Congressional Slave-Code for the Territories; some for Congress forbidding the Territories to prohibit Slavery within their limits; some for maintaining Slavery in the Territories through the judiciary; some for the "gur-reat pur-rinciple" that "if one man would enslave another, no third man should object", fantastically called "Popular Sovereignty"; but never a man among you is in favor of federal prohibition of slavery in federal territories, according to the practice of "our fathers who framed the Government under which we live". Not one of all your various plans can show a precedent or an advocate in the century within which our Government originated. Consider, then, whether your claim of conservatism for yourselves and your charge of destructiveness against us, are based on the clearest and stable foundations. - Cooper Union speech Abraham Lincoln

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Union_speech

So much for your credibility bye now.