THE BROWNS BOARD

Nick Chubb - emerges as leader, inspiration

calfoxwc

He was amazing last year. Just wait til this next season. His offensive linemen are excited to block for him. What a great addition to the Browns !

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/05/browns-nick-chubb-explosive-workout/

“I said it before, I think we thought we were a lot better than we were. We thought it was going to just happen for us, we didn’t actually put the work in. We got this guy, and this guy, you know we’re straight, so we don’t need to actually work, it’s going to happen for us.

“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work. I think that’s exactly what it was with us.”

The former second-round pick has quickly found the good side of new head coach Kevin Stefanski, who was not shy to shower Chubb with praise.

“He is a cultural tone-setter. I like everything about him,” Stefanski said on the Bull and Fox show on 92.3 The Fan. “Just doesn’t say much. He comes to work and does his job. There’s a way to lead without being a rah-rah guy. You don’t have to be making speeches. His teammates are very, very keenly aware when [he’s] in the building and on the field. He’s about his business and about working. That’s something I really respect.”

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I can't get the videos to work, but his workout videos are amazing - huge weight lifting, and sitting in a chair, and jumping onto a platform.

On one foot?

https://www.brownsnation.com/nick-chubb-shows-off-insane-strength-in-workout-video/

Nick Chubb if things work out right and he stays healthy the next Jim Brown.  Class act and maybe more talented than #32.

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

OK,  let's not get carried away. 

I think he is more talented, faster, stronger than the great JB.  Now Jim Brown was the best RB in his era and could probably play in any era, he also had a good OL and team, coach, all the other ingredients to be the best runner 8 of his 9 seasons.

But nobody now will accomplish that number.

7 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I think he is more talented, faster, stronger than the great JB. 

Prove it. 

Now Jim Brown was the best RB in his era and could probably play in any era, he also had a good OL and team, coach, all the other ingredients to be the best runner 8 of his 9 seasons.

But nobody now will accomplish that number.

For Chubb to be considered better, then he WILL have to accomplish that. 

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think he is more talented, faster, stronger than the great JB. 

Prove it. 

Just the eye test having seen both play now, Chubb is quicker and stronger IMHO.  JB was an exciting runner but I was about 15 when he retired.

Proving it would be very hard to do.  And with defenses today in all team sports they are way to sophisticated to let any one player dominate like JB, nobody else will go 8/9 again...... probably.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

He was amazing last year. Just wait til this next season. His offensive linemen are excited to block for him. What a great addition to the Browns !

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/05/browns-nick-chubb-explosive-workout/

“I said it before, I think we thought we were a lot better than we were. We thought it was going to just happen for us, we didn’t actually put the work in. We got this guy, and this guy, you know we’re straight, so we don’t need to actually work, it’s going to happen for us.

“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work. I think that’s exactly what it was with us.”

The former second-round pick has quickly found the good side of new head coach Kevin Stefanski, who was not shy to shower Chubb with praise.

“He is a cultural tone-setter. I like everything about him,” Stefanski said on the Bull and Fox show on 92.3 The Fan. “Just doesn’t say much. He comes to work and does his job. There’s a way to lead without being a rah-rah guy. You don’t have to be making speeches. His teammates are very, very keenly aware when [he’s] in the building and on the field. He’s about his business and about working. That’s something I really respect.”

Another sign this team gets it, this year. Huge difference from last year. 

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Just the eye test having seen both play now, Chubb is quicker and stronger IMHO.  JB was an exciting runner but I was about 15 when he retired.

Proving it would be very hard to do.  And with defenses today in all team sports they are way to sophisticated to let any one player dominate like JB, nobody else will go 8/9 again...... probably.

You have bad eyes.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Nick Chubb if things work out right and he stays healthy the next Jim Brown.  Class act and maybe more talented than #32.

I don't know about more talented than #32.. Different eras.. But Id still give JB the nod.. JB set the standard by which all backs are measured.

47 minutes ago, nickers said:

I don't know about more talented than #32.. Different eras.. But Id still give JB the nod.. JB set the standard by which all backs are measured.

JB is the best ever followed by whoever you like best Sweetness, the Kansas Comet, Emmitt, on and on.

Nick Chubb should have his chance this year his biggest competition might be there's only one ball for him and Hunt and Mayfield.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Different times now. One could say that the athletes are better now them they ever were. One could say Browns did most of his damage is 12 game seasons. It really don't matter, we had Jim and now we have Nick. If gets over 1600 yds a year for the next 6 years, he will beat Him Browns record. Does it mean he is better, no. Does it mean is is not better still no. Just enjoy the man run the F over people. Back on Patrol soon and won't be able to read all this. Love you guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Those are some veteran-like words coming from such a young player.
I remember being at the Chargers game and watching Chubb(rookie year) glide past the whole defense, as if he was moving at a different pace than everyone else. The play came back due to a bs holding, and Hue lost his job 2 weeks later. Chubb wasn’t heavily involved in the offense at that point even though the fans could see his talent. I believe it could’ve been blocking or playbook related. 

Chubb is clearly a gifted individual with a great head on his shoulders.
A perfect fit for the City of Cleveland. 

Unsure who’s jersey I want this year. Garrett, Baker, Landry, OBJ, Chubb. Decisions, decisions. 

We had a gm, that had to trade Carlos Hyde to get his coach to start Nick Chubb... and that same coach, saw Tyrod Taylor as the better QB to start against the Jets... 

Kitchens...4th & 9... at least the draw play was given to Nick Chubb... and Chubb never tossed a coach under the bus for making such a boneheaded play call... 

God I hope Berry/Kevin Stefanski is the right leader of *men*? 🤞   

cause, Chubb & 52 others deserve better than the so-called *leaders* they've seen here in the past 3 years.. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Those are some veteran-like words coming from such a young player.
I remember being at the Chargers game and watching Chubb(rookie year) glide past the whole defense, as if he was moving at a different pace than everyone else. The play came back due to a bs holding, and Hue lost his job 2 weeks later. Chubb wasn’t heavily involved in the offense at that point even though the fans could see his talent. I believe it could’ve been blocking or playbook related. 

Chubb is clearly a gifted individual with a great head on his shoulders.
A perfect fit for the City of Cleveland. 

Unsure who’s jersey I want this year. Garrett, Baker, Landry, OBJ, Chubb. Decisions, decisions. 

I remember the game....was it 2 years ago vs. Falcons.   Browns were down on their own 8 yard line.

I turned to the guys I was watching the game with and said:   "Watch this...Chubb is going to take it 92 yards".   And you know what happened?   Chubb took it for 92 yards. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Well, if you want to get the "biggest bang for your buck" I'd suggest Baker or Garrett. Unless Baker has another poor year, or Garrett decapitates a Steelers player this year, they'll probably be here for the long haul.

Landry, OBJ and Chubb? I wouldn't put money on these three guys being here in three years. (And I just bought a Chubb jersey knowing this.)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mjp28 said:

gumby73  now that's a BOLD early projection.. but i kinda like it...with JB still in the house, maybe they trade some rushing style success stories..but he ain't JB quite yet!

As of now, I might 🤔 see Nick as the lighter, quicker a foot/more power in the mid to late years of a LaGarrette Blount style back? but Nick still has 8 years to better above LB.. 

8 hours ago, Icecube said:

Is this even a discussion? JB is arguably the best RB ever. But I love Chubb. 

I love Chubb too.. But I'm not ready to put him on par with any of the greats yet.. But , he's making a hell of a case for himself , for sure :)

21 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

How about Jim Browns?  At least you know you can't go wrong. 

HOF Classic, best Cleveland Brown and NFL running back ever ?     Yeah you won't see that on the man-zel discount rack anytime soon.

Current player maybe Myles Garrett the Steeler hunter.  Can't wait for rematch one.....but I'm sure everyone will be on their best behavior.    :)

37 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

HOF Classic, best Cleveland Brown and NFL running back ever ?   

Uh....fucking hell YES.  

Yeah you won't see that on the man-zel discount rack anytime soon.

No....but I don't know if ClevelandWantsPlayoffs was going for the bargain bin. 

Current player maybe Myles Garrett the Steeler hunter.  Can't wait for rematch one.....but I'm sure everyone will be on their best behavior.    :)

On 5/29/2020 at 11:55 AM, mjp28 said:

The reason comparisons between Chubb and JB are apples to oranges is JB was 232 lb beast...at a time when lineman were about that size. That's just not even comparable. 

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

The reason comparisons between Chubb and JB are apples to oranges is JB was 232 lb beast...at a time when lineman were about that size. That's just not even comparable. 

So,  linemen today are just fatter......not as lean, fast, strong as those in JBs era? 

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

If you look back at the 1964 BROWNS Championship team there were only  players at 275 lbs and they were on defense.  If you were 250-260 you were a pretty good size OL in the running era.

If you look today there are college teams with 5 OL all 6' 6"+. 300+ lbs and just getting ready for the professional game.  Today's players are so much more conditioned, trained, strict workouts, diets on and on plus many in camps from their high school years.

JB was a freak in his day Chubb is a top RB today it will be fun to see him continue his career and where he ends up.

23 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Not comparable - JB is already better than chubb.

JB was a pro bowler every year.

JB led the league in rushing 8 of his 9 yrs.. Chubb is 0/2.

Chubb is great.. but he's no JB.  Stop this foolishness. 

True, they aren't comparable, because the times and players are different. JB gave all the credit to his offensive line. The Browns offensive line is not as good as back in the day, the players didn't face the sophisticated defenses with the huge sized, athletic front sevens as they do today. All three - Jim Brown, Bobby Mitchell and my favorite rb from back in the day, Leroy Kelly - were all Hall of Famers behind excellent offensive lines. Gene Hickerson !

But though it's an invalid comparison, it is also false to say Chubb isn't as great as Jim Brown was.

On 5/31/2020 at 12:24 AM, calfoxwc said:

True, they aren't comparable, because the times and players are different. JB gave all the credit to his offensive line. The Browns offensive line is not as good as back in the day, the players didn't face the sophisticated defenses with the huge sized, athletic front sevens as they do today. All three - Jim Brown, Bobby Mitchell and my favorite rb from back in the day, Leroy Kelly - were all Hall of Famers behind excellent offensive lines. Gene Hickerson !

But though it's an invalid comparison, it is also false to say Chubb isn't as great as Jim Brown was.

Well....what is greatness?  Greatness is not merely having the physical tools....it is actually producing the performance. 

NO RB has  ever produced great performances the way  Jim Brown did.   Even the guys that surpassed Jim Brown  in rushing yards  did it mainly as a result of longevity, not  by being a greater performer.

I happen to think that Chubb is a great performer...and could become one of the greatest.    But those number cited above by Unsymp. have not been matched, and may never be matched.    

He leads the  "rushing yards per game" average by nearly 5 yards.    At 104.2 ypg.  After him come Barry Sanders with  about 99 ypg. Only 4 guys have ever gained more yards per attempt.....2 of them QBs (Vick/Randall Cunningham)....one was Marion Motley....the other Jamaal Charles.   Charles though was really just a part time back for some reason...only gaining a bit over 7500 yards in  11 seasons. Not sure why he was not featured more. 

There are a couple of other stats that they do not keep, but which I suspect JB would likely be at the top of the heap:  TDs per game (where JBs ratio is about 1 per game....compare Emmitt Smith  who has only about a  .75 TDs a game)      and TD per season.....though this latter would probably not be a fair measure because for  4 of JBs  9 seasons they only played 12 games.....not the 16 they have played for years now.  

But JB did lead the league in rushing TDs  5 times....Only  Steve Van Buren and Cookie Gilchrist (in the AFL)  led their league in TDs  in 4 seasons.

So....while I hope Chubb could come to challenge JBs numbers....that really is not happening so far:

JB:  104.3 ypg.  Chubb....77.8 ypg     (but...hell yea...could have been better if Fat Freddie had given him the ball)

JB:  As noted has about 1:1 ratio on TDs to games played.    Chubb is only at .5 with 16 TDs in 32 games   (again, maybe more a product of the offense.

Yards per carry:   Chubb very competitive:    JB   5.2  Chubb 5.1

Chubb DOES have  2 longer  single runs than any JB had.    JB's longest was 80 yards.....Chubb has both an 88 yarder, and that 92 yarder. 

And of course Jim Brown did lead the league in rushing 8 time......the best after that only did it 4 times  (OJ/Emmitt/Dickerson/Van Buren/Barry Sanders).   Chubb has yet to get one....early yet.   I think he deprived of one last year because Freddie just didn't run him enough. 

So....I am not at all trying to disparage  Chubb.....I am just saying that  greatness CAN to a certain extent be measured by some vital stats....and Chubb is not there yet  where we can say he is even approaching the greatness that JB displayed.   But, we should not feel bad for us or for Chubb about that.....NO  RB  who ever played for any team  has ever come close to JB in  a lot of categories. 

By the way...Chubb's 77.8  YPG  does put him in 22d place all time in that category at this point.  He is #4 in that category among active players....after Zeke Elliot, Peterson,  L. Bell, and Chris Carson

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Icecube said:

I think they call this a "straw man argument." 

Uhh, no, not at all.  If you know what it means to present a straw man argument....it means to argue about something that was never pertinent to the discussion being had. 

But the weight differential  of offensive and defensive linemen was precisely what was being "debated" here to a certain extent.   

Now, perhaps the original mention of the weight of the OL and the DL was a straw man argument.     (You know:  JB would not be so good because he only played behind and against  250 pound linemen.....that was a straw man argument intended to try to lessen how great he really was).  My reply in disputing a straw man argument is not itself the straw man argument.