THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Offering Clowney the most cash

darren15

On 6/8/2020 at 2:59 PM, The Gipper said:

Well....if he does not take a 3 year deal at 18 mill....Then he deserves to have the entire thesaurus roster for synonyms for stupid thrown at him. 

I hope you mean 18M per year for 3 years not 6 per year.  

There is possibly a strategy here that Clowney and his agent are using. 

The Browns have to commit to Vernon the week before the season starts, assuming they don't have anyone else. If they really want Clowney (and given their offer they do), then Clowney and his agent could be better served waiting until 5 minutes to midnight to see if the Browns up their offer.

It's not really a risk because no one else is offering Clowney anything close to what the Browns are, so why not wait and see if the Browns panic? He has nothing to lose until a team puts a competing offer on the table. Unless the Browns pull back their offer, which would be unlikely.

But the Browns could also reduce their offer at that time, and put Clowney in a corner to either take it or wait the season out. That's the risk he is taking, if this is his strategy. But again, I don't know how likely it is that the Browns would do that. 

In the South..this has been the Clowney news for a while now... and this team just got to a shy under 20M in cap space for maybe a one year deal?... https://si.com/nfl/titans/news/tennessee-titans-mike-vrabel-jadeveon-clowney-pairing      

Bottom line is I would rather have Clowney over Vernon. 

Clowney is represented by the same agent who reps Garrett.  Garrett is going to get more than Clowney, so why not try to drive up Clowneys price?   

I would.  So would all of you.  The NFL limits agents to 3% of a players yearly salary.  Well, 3% of $18,000,000 is $540,000.  Chew on that.  And that doesn't include endorsement contracts.  Agents can make 10-15% of that.  D linemen don't sell many products..  Merlin Olson sold FTD flowers for a long time.  Mean Joe sold Coke products.  Can't think of any others...Alex Karras got some national air.  It would be mostly local stuff that doesn't pay all that much if you are pitching for a local garage door company.

• Like 1

Are they really still perusing a dude that doesn't want to be a Brown, but are hoping that if they throw enough money at him he will suddenly love the whole Browns organization, and city?

What could possibly go wrong? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, D Bone said:

Are they really still perusing a dude that doesn't want to be a Brown, but are hoping that if they throw enough money at him he will suddenly love the whole Browns organization, and city?

What could possibly go wrong? 

Nothing would go wrong, Debbie Downer

Sincerely, 

Dwayne Bowe

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2020 at 5:15 PM, ballpeen said:

I would.  So would all of you.  The NFL limits agents to 3% of a players yearly salary.  Well, 3% of $18,000,000 is $540,000.  Chew on that.  And that doesn't include endorsement contracts.  Agents can make 10-15% of that.  D linemen don't sell many products..  Merlin Olson sold FTD flowers for a long time.  Mean Joe sold Coke products.  Can't think of any others...Alex Karras got some national air.  It would be mostly local stuff that doesn't pay all that much if you are pitching for a local garage door company.

The Watt brothers are doing Subway commercials. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to hold it against Clowney for chasing his big payday; most people would do the same in his case. But idk if many teams are willing to meet his price point.

I haven't seen him mentioned on here yet, but maybe the Browns could pick up Yannick Ngakoue from the Jags, if the trade price is right.

11 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

I'm not going to hold it against Clowney for chasing his big payday; most people would do the same in his case. But idk if many teams are willing to meet his price point.

I haven't seen him mentioned on here yet, but maybe the Browns could pick up Yannick Ngakoue from the Jags, if the trade price is right.

I was thinking Everson Griffen even The DE from MINN..... He's a tad more reliable in the health department and should not cost as much , obviously... I think he's younger too... With Vernon.. You just let him run out his contract.. If he's healthy and has a productive season... Then I can see doing one year at a time contracts on Vernon until his eventual successor comes along and you could keep him for insurance at a bargain price until he hangs up his cleats!.....

On 6/10/2020 at 5:15 PM, ballpeen said:

Bottom line is I would rather have Clowney over Vernon. 

Clowney is represented by the same agent who reps Garrett.  Garrett is going to get more than Clowney, so why not try to drive up Clowneys price?   

JJ Watt must have a good deal of endorsements (if you consider him a DLman, I do). Clowney won't boost pass rush much, but he will upgrade the rush D, and, as of now, pass D is their biggest weakness.