THE BROWNS BOARD

Grant

I put this on Steve's Movie review but felt it was important enough to post here as well. 3 Part miniseries on Ohio's General Grant is on the History Channel tonight, tomorrow and Wed. nights. Part 1 repeats again tonight @ 11pm EDT. Tuesday night part 1 repeats again @ 7pm EDT followed by part 2. Wed. night parts 1 & 2 repeat again starting 5 pm EDT followed by Part 3. It's excellent going into the 1st hour tonight.

9 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I bet they won’t have many viewers in Georgia.

LOL! It's Grant, not Sherman Marching Through Georgia.

But they have one viewer in Texas whose great, great uncle was shot through both legs the first day of Shiloh and left for dead. He was taken to the first ever Union battlefield surgery (I found the site while visiting) unit where they sewed him up without having to amputate since the bullet did not hit bone. He was with Terry's 8th Texas Rangers Cav. and returned home to near Austin after he was exchanged, a practice later stopped so they could bring the south down. That uncle was at first thought to be a ghost some 20 years later at a reunion of the 8th held in Galveston. There is actually a book about his Co. D of that regiment that documents the wounding by name and the reunion that the family story that has passed down verbally over the years. It's a first hand account written by one of my uncle's friends.

And this Texan believes that Grant's taking of Vicksburg would put Napoleon to shame. I went through Infantry training both at A&M and later Ft. Benning and that campaign was absolutely the most brilliant strategic and tactical strategy ever employed in my mind. It's well worth the read. Even this southerner appreciates the genius of it all.👍😁

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! It's Grant, not Sherman Marching Through Georgia.

But they have one viewer in Texas whose great, great uncle was shot through both legs the first day of Shiloh and left for dead. He was taken to the first ever Union battlefield surgery (I found the site while visiting) unit where they sewed him up without having to amputate since the bullet did not hit bone. He was with Terry's 8th Texas Rangers Cav. and returned home to near Austin after he was exchanged, a practice later stopped so they could bring the south down. That uncle was at first thought to be a ghost some 20 years later at a reunion of the 8th held in Galveston. There is actually a book about his Co. D of that regiment that documents the wounding by name and the reunion that the family story that has passed down verbally over the years. It's a first hand account written by one of my uncle's friends.

And this Texan believes that Grant's taking of Vicksburg would put Napoleon to shame. I went through Infantry training both at A&M and later Ft. Benning and that campaign was absolutely the most brilliant strategic and tactical strategy ever employed in my mind. It's well worth the read. Even this southerner appreciates the genius of it all.👍😁

Haha got that mixed up. It was Sherman who did a number on them.

22 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Sherman and Grant: both from Ohio. 

Ohio essentially won the Civil War. 

A fiddled around with a huge Army that should have won it two years earlier. That would Mr. Peacock himself, a.k.a. Ohio General George B. McClellan😂

PS-Ohioan Rosecrans was not too much better.😁 Now Phil Sheridan on the other hand...................one to be proud of, "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell."😍

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

A fiddled around with a huge Army that should have won it two years earlier. That would Mr. Peacock himself, a.k.a. Ohio General George B. McClellan😂

PS-Ohioan Rosecrans was not too much better.😁 Now Phil Sheridan on the other hand...................one to be proud of, "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell."😍

Off topic I know- but what started me on my mountaineering adventures was climbing Mount Sheridan in 1971. (It's in Yellowstone NP)   There's a fire lookout on top for good reason- because you have a commanding view for darn near 100 miles in every direction. I had to do a revisit look 8 years ago with my nephew to see if my initial impression 40 years earlier was as great as I remembered it being, before I got too old to do so- and it certainly was.... 

Mount Sheridan - Wikipedia

And my view from the top- the Tetons are 40 miles away....  With Gannett Peak on the far left horizon 100 miles away.....

No photo description available.

• Thanks 1