THE BROWNS BOARD

How much will rush D improve?

Icecube

16 minutes ago, Icecube said:

If you want to go somewhere, you must be able to stop the rush.

The Browns were near the bottom in rushing D last year.

What has been done to improve it? 

Hopeful...
New D coordinator.

Full season of Myles Garrett 

Rookie LBs getting more experience 

Added Andrew Billings.

Not so good...

Secondary...Not the the physical tackling fill type of group. Hasn’t changed.

Joe Show gone.

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Rookie LBs getting more experience 

Yup, they've got a year under their belts.  Hopefully they'll improve.

BJ Goodson is an additional thumper.

...and we're forever hoping that the new D coordinator(s) have the magic touch.

56 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yup, they've got a year under their belts.  Hopefully they'll improve.

BJ Goodson is an additional thumper.

...and we're forever hoping that the new D coordinator(s) have the magic touch.

Sometimes safeties can aid in rush D. Will Delpit help? I think Jordan Elliott (DT, 3rd round) has a shot at contributing, he has the tools, just needs reps to see plays developing. I don't think Phillips (LB, LSU) is going to do that much in 2020; just too raw, but he is listed as the starter in some depth charts I've seen. Hopefully some LBs step up. Takitaki?  

I get the impression many of their offseason moves on defense was to do just that, stop the run. 

LB Goodson is supposed to be a run stuffer. Maybe not so great in coverage though. LB Phillips seems to have some run defending skills as well. 

DTs Billings (FA) and Elliott (draft) are supposed to be good run stuffers.

DE Vernon, when healthy, is a plus run defender. I realize he’s not a recent signing, but there was talk of salary cap canning him and thus far the team looks like they are going with him. 

Those are just a few off the top moves or non-moves l can think of. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

DE Vernon, when healthy, is a plus run defender. I realize he’s not a recent signing, but there was talk of salary cap canning him and thus far the team looks like they are going with him. 

That guy must feel like a Cheerio floating in the milk.  All the talk was of how the Browns were going to unload him and his big salary.  The team has brought in another DE.  They have until final roster cuts to get rid of him.  He must be walking around waiting for the other shoe to fall.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

That guy must feel like a Cheerio floating in the milk.  All the talk was of how the Browns were going to unload him and his big salary.  The team has brought in another DE.  They have until final roster cuts to get rid of him.  He must be walking around waiting for the other shoe to fall.

Probably not a surprise though He hasn’t played a full season since 2016 and He made 15+ M last year. 

36 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

I am worried about the defense this year. Young unproven Linebackers, and a new group of DBs on one year deals. Plus a talented but raw prospect in Delpit. I am looking for the offense to carry the team this year, or else it will be another long season 

I’ve been banging this drum since December.  We’ve done well this offseason I’m glad the second day draft picks weren’t spent on offensive lineman (backup guards).

Between Myles being out and the defense basically quitting the last month of the year - I’m hopeful this coming season that he’s back Better than ever and the team wants to play for this new D coordinator.

We have more question marks on this side of the ball that’s for sure.  Our entire secondary for one - can they tackle? Can they stay healthy? Can Greedy Williams play better?  Taki and Wilson are in prove it years.  Is Ward worth a longer term contract at the money he may expect? 

Clowney could change things here in a major way. 

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’ve been banging this drum since December.  You too must have saw the egg we laid at the Bengals game far before it happened too?  

We’ve done well this offseason  were a ways behind the teams that have played together before, with no coaching changes.. My hope is a hard fought Wildcard spot, with 8-9 wins..Tenn.,Colts.Houston & Raiders all sit on our schedule as head to heads.. To my dismay..The Ravens are re-loaded.. unless that OL goes to crap with their HOF RG retiring?

this new D coordinator. only 3 Quality adds... a) Billings is a run eater...but gets  his 1-2 sacks per season ..Never understood why Dorsey cut Devarow Lawrence last-mid-season? Quietly swept under the rug & made no sense unless Wilks was his problem?  b) A. Claybourn...am ok with less Chad Thomas, than worse..c) CB Kevin Johnson..best CB3 we've seen & a upgrade over TJ Carrie.. 

We have more question marks on this side of the ball that’s for sure.   - can they tackle?    

Same..Feel we can score some points with Stef.. And I had some serious issues with Gregg Williams defensive schemes..But at least our DB's learned some tackling techs..maybe even D. Ward?

Even if we see half full stadiums? The NfL cap system (as is) would than take some serious dollar hits backwards for the first time in years like non-other ... the big dollar FA's & their agents continue the wait & see approach.. So do the GM's

9 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’ve been banging this drum since December.  We’ve done well this offseason I’m glad the second day draft picks weren’t spent on offensive lineman (backup guards).

Between Myles being out and the defense basically quitting the last month of the year - I’m hopeful this coming season that he’s back Better than ever and the team wants to play for this new D coordinator.

We have more question marks on this side of the ball that’s for sure.  Our entire secondary for one - can they tackle? Can they stay healthy? Can Greedy Williams play better?  Taki and Wilson are in prove it years.  Is Ward worth a longer term contract at the money he may expect? 

Clowney could change things here in a major way. 

In a "major way?" I'm not sure about that. But at the right price, yes. 

10 hours ago, Icecube said:

In a "major way?" I'm not sure about that. But at the right price, yes. 

cost aside he helps in a major way.  He’s a run stuffer with probably a better pass rushing sense than what he gets credit for and I think playing along this defensive line will allow him some additional free space to showcase his skills.

id prefer a one year deal or maybe slightly longer but doesn’t cripple us in year 2 or 3.

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

cost aside he helps in a major way.  He’s a run stuffer with probably a better pass rushing sense than what he gets credit for and I think playing along this defensive line will allow him some additional free space to showcase his skills.

id prefer a one year deal or maybe slightly longer but doesn’t cripple us in year 2 or 3.

The guy always wants top tier $ without ever being top tier. Maybe he has come back to earth since no team is showing much interest with his demands. 

I really like that we bolstered the inside with Billings and Elliott, we are four deep up the middle now.

With our linebackers, I'm less worried about run defense than pass defense. These guys are all thumpers, but can they stay with all of the lightning fast scat backs out of the backfield and cover the big athletic tight ends?

As far as the secondary goes, I think scheme and positioning is most important, if Joe Woods has them hitting like he did in SF then we are in for a pleasant surprise.

Our safeties were non-factors last year, and now we have the very physical Karl Joseph and the athletic Delpit. I think Joseph will be a fan favorite as will Sendejo.

Zombo

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Gumby!

I like his answers.  Especially regarding the LB'ers.  He's in a COVID bind.  He cannot see the guys run around  in his scheme.  He's not sure where he's gonna line guys up.  He's given them all a tentative primary position but he's got his coaches cross-training them on all positions.  -  This is why some of us have been saying that this COVID offseason stunts us more than most other teams.  Most of our players are all new to our coaches.  They've got to learn the players in real life.

On 5/25/2020 at 2:57 PM, Icecube said:

they are always near the bottom in rushing d and total d....you win with defense....period....we have creampuff db's to add to the woes....we will see what happens...

On 5/25/2020 at 2:57 PM, Icecube said:

I think Billings will be big in the middle.  I also think the drafted rook fro Missouri might push Ogun for PT

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I think Billings will be big in the middle.  I also think the drafted rook fro Missouri might push Ogun for PT

Given that they like to keep fresh legs in the game on the DL according to what I have read, I suspect everyone gets a lot of PT.