THE BROWNS BOARD

Memorial Day 2020

TexasAg1969

Lest we forget those in uniform whom we have lost in defense of our country. Every Memorial Day I compose an email

to a very good friend to let her know I never forget that her only son was killed in Iraq and lays in a grave in Belton, Texas.

Being a Gold Star mother is a difficult honor to bear no matter how many years pass. For you Linda and your son. I 

never forget.

• Thanks 2

Yes for all those who fought in all those wars.  That's why we fly our flags.

20180704_105433-1.jpg

And KIA in Nam from my hometown (and on the wall).

My classmate and friend Tom Catlin who went to Vietnam and was killed on 6/24/70 was also joined by another classmate and friend a really nice quiet guy named Gary Fleck who had just arrived in Vietnam and was killed two days after Sgt. Tom Catlin in died. PFC Gary L. Fleck was machine gunned and died on 6/26/70.

If my memory serves me right Tom enlisted and went first, Gary drew #17 in the new 19 year old draft I drew #258, they went up to #202 that year. A good friend had a wife and child on the way drew #205, Gary left a wife and small child, such is how random fate can be.

Oh another good friend who was a total 4F after a motorcycle accident drew #366 the highest number in the drawing.

Only one other kid from Niles died in Vietnam that I know of David T. Orwig III on 3/25/68 just months before we graduated from Niles McKinley High School. All just memories now.

12 hours ago, ATOM said:

I was outside yesterday at 3 and sure enough someone was playing taps 

I thought that was quite nice.

• Like 1