THE BROWNS BOARD

An Incalculable Loss...

Tour2ma

One thousand names...

One of a nearly 100 such possible pages...

This page includes: 1st responders, WWII vets, law enforcement officers, Holocaust saviors, single mothers...

image.png.68a25e85f1ec297bfed7b01c105ac1f4.png

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

One thousand names...

One of a nearly 100 such possible pages...

This page includes: 1st responders, WWII vets, law enforcement officers, Holocaust saviors, single mothers...

Tour, it is a tragic, but we must also keep in mind that tragedies are often exploited for political gain; chaos is a ladder, after all.

Case in point, the very NYT front page you mentioned has been called out for demonstrably adding non-COVID deaths to that list:

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Biggest show of sensationalism yet by the leftist NY Times.

Just by the word "incalculable". It by all means is calculable. I'm sure those who died after being hit by a bus who happened to have COVID are on that list.

Yup, the video showed a 1\1,000 error rate. Trump thinks it's more like 25% by the leftist press to make him look bad. Why do I even bother anymore? I predicted 100k before  June 1st, and sadly I was right. 

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Just by the word "incalculable". It by all means is calculable. 

Don't be so literal just to chime in.  You know exactly what message being conveyed means.  If you were to lose your son, that would be an incalculable loss.  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Yup, the video showed a 1\1,000 error rate. Trump thinks it's more like 25% by the leftist press to make him look bad. Why do I even bother anymore? I predicted 100k before  June 1st, and sadly I was right. 

Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.Mar 23, 2020

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Don't be so literal just to chime in.  You know exactly what message being conveyed means.  If you were to lose your son, that would be an incalculable loss.  

Don't be so critical of word usage just to chime in. Yes I do know exactly what message is being conveyed, and so do you. Sensationalism as a tool to politicize.

Never have I heard of anyone who lost a loved one refer to their loss as "incalculable". Have you? That's sounds Retarded.

It's possible that due to the losses being large in numbers "incalculable" by the NYT is meant to reflect the effects of the losses...what these people could have contributed to society that is unmeasurable. So I may be wrong, but you definitely are.

Incalculable is still bunk anyway. As if 90% of these deaths were 30 yr. olds

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.Mar 23, 2020

Yup people die every day from heart attacks, strokes, and cancer too....  But then were talking covid deaths here....  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Initially were not over a million Americans predicted to die?   You should be saying you're GLAD you were right.

1 minute ago, Gorka said:

Initially were not over a million Americans predicted to die?   You should be saying you're GLAD you were right.

Sure there was some hysteria, probably some over reaction- fear of the unknown maybe?  We'll see what happens soon enough with the country gradually reopening. About 500 deaths every day, and it's been consistent for the last week or two. How will it trend? But trying to say- well, it's not as bad as smoking deaths- give me a break. 

So?  Humankind has always been plagued with viruses and such, no?

A typical deflection that had nothing to do with covid...   That 100k far surpasses US casualties in the VietNam war, and depending on the stats you want to believe, more Confederate battle deaths in the Civil War. 

Certainly- if you want to compare covid to the Black Death that wiped out at least 1\3rd of the world's population- it's minor league. BTW- yersina pestis is still around. 

2 minutes ago, Vambo said:

But he can't blame Trump on those.

I haven't said one word in this thread about blaming Trump. I'll let The Lancet do the talking for me....   

26 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Wow. That is a lot. More than double the amount of COVID deaths per day. We are just approaching 100k COVID deaths.. Not sure if we will ever reach 480K.

Depending on when this shit arrived, we're 5 or six month's into it, no?

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

A typical deflection that had nothing to do with covid...   That 100k far surpasses US casualties in the VietNam war, and depending on the stats you want to believe, more Confederate battle deaths in the Civil War. 

Certainly- if you want to compare covid to the Black Death that wiped out at least 1\3rd of the world's population- it's minor league. BTW- yersina pestis is still around. 

I haven't said one word in this thread about blaming Trump. I'll let The Lancet do the talking for me....   

Deflection??  Don't confuse deflection with putting things into perspective.

What has been done to this country over a hysteria was a mistake by some and unforgivable to others. .

Wow. That is a lot. More than double the amount of COVID deaths per day. We are just approaching 100k COVID deaths.. Not sure if we will ever reach 480K.

Depending on when this shit arrived, we're 5 or six month's into it, no?

But but but covid-19 is worse...hide!

11 minutes ago, hoorta said:

• The cigarette catastrophe continues
  •  

There is a myth of sorts that cigarettes are a solved problem. This can be heard when the topic turns to sugar or obesity or the climate crisis, where hopes are raised that these problems, too, might be solved “the way we fixed tobacco”. Of course that is convenient for the makers of cigarettes, who want us to think of tobacco-related death as something from the distant past, a kind of archaism we don't really need to fret too much about.

The fact is that cigarette use remains the world's leading preventable cause of death, killing roughly 6 million people every year. That number will stay high over the next couple of decades, as the toll of present habits is taken. Disease rates from smoking peak about 30 years after peak rates of consumption, which explains why most of the epidemic lies in the future. Global smoking has now reached an astonishing 6 trillion cigarettes per year, nearly double what it was only four decades ago. That is why most of the cigarette holocaust is yet to come: in 2001 I published a paper predicting that whereas about 100 million people died from smoking in the 20th century, we could expect up to a billion deaths in the present century—assuming that nothing is done to reverse the trend.

8 hours ago, Vambo said:

• The cigarette catastrophe continues
  •  

There is a myth of sorts that cigarettes are a solved problem. This can be heard when the topic turns to sugar or obesity or the climate crisis, where hopes are raised that these problems, too, might be solved “the way we fixed tobacco”. Of course that is convenient for the makers of cigarettes, who want us to think of tobacco-related death as something from the distant past, a kind of archaism we don't really need to fret too much about.

The fact is that cigarette use remains the world's leading preventable cause of death, killing roughly 6 million people every year. That number will stay high over the next couple of decades, as the toll of present habits is taken. Disease rates from smoking peak about 30 years after peak rates of consumption, which explains why most of the epidemic lies in the future. Global smoking has now reached an astonishing 6 trillion cigarettes per year, nearly double what it was only four decades ago. That is why most of the cigarette holocaust is yet to come: in 2001 I published a paper predicting that whereas about 100 million people died from smoking in the 20th century, we could expect up to a billion deaths in the present century—assuming that nothing is done to reverse the trend.

Yup it's a problem all right. The difference is a person chooses smoking or vaping. Did you notice the #1 preventable cause of death? Are there still people out that are unaware smoking is really bad for you?  Unless you're out of you mind- you don't choose to get corona.  Well, if you want to run around now in crowed bars and ignore the health warnings, your choice- and same difference. BTW, we've passed the annual number of alcohol related deaths in two months. 

I really don't get why you want to keep harping on tobacco deaths in an article highlighting covid deaths. Because it's "only" 100k so far? You're not impressing me one bit.

And the number of people who smoke in American is down drastically....  https://www.lung.org/research/trends-in-lung-disease/tobacco-trends-brief/overall-tobacco-trends 

37 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

sadly, per the Canton paper - 70% of covid19 deaths in Ohio - nursing home folks. Their health is so often too fragile.

Yes Cal, I've said that a lot of the nursing home covid deaths were a result of the virus being the final nail in their coffin. Annie Glenn's death at 100 was primarily from old age. But you can't put that down as a cause of death. My Mom is 91 and in assisted living. If she contracts covid, she's a goner for sure.  :(  

I'm not going to go digging around for the article- but it pretty plainly put the numbers out there- that as the number of comorbidity factors increased- the odds that you were going to die if you came down with covid went up right along with it.  I'd say being over 85 is a factor in and of itself.    

11 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yup it's a problem all right. The difference is a person chooses smoking or vaping. Did you notice the #1 preventable cause of death? Are there still people out that are unaware smoking is really bad for you?  Unless you're out of you mind- you don't choose to get corona.  Well, if you want to run around now in crowed bars and ignore the health warnings, your choice- and same difference. BTW, we've passed the annual number of alcohol related deaths in two months. 

I really don't get why you want to keep harping on tobacco deaths in an article highlighting covid deaths. Because it's "only" 100k so far? You're not impressing me one bit.

And the number of people who smoke in American is down drastically....  https://www.lung.org/research/trends-in-lung-disease/tobacco-trends-brief/overall-tobacco-trends 

Which is the biggest cause of death covid or smoking?  You state it's preventable but yet they don't prevent it..." The fact is that cigarette use remains the world's leading preventable cause of death, killing roughly 6 million people every year. "  So one can only reason it's not about saving lives.

Which has shutdown the country?   Hello McFly... you're not impressing anyone.

Just now, Vambo said:

Which is the biggest cause of death covid or smoking?  You state it's preventable but yet they don't prevent it..." The fact is that cigarette use remains the world's leading preventable cause of death, killing roughly 6 million people every year. "  So one can only reason it's not about saving lives.

Which has shutdown the country?   Hello McFly... you're not impressing anyone.

Covid is a disease- you're talking about a habit. Apples and oranges. In case you forgot- we tried banning alcohol- and it didn't work. Smokers would have their little tobacco plant garden in the back yard if we tried the same. 
We pretty much took the direction every other country did in shutting down things. Now if you're in the "Give me Liberty and Give me Death" crowd who thinks we should have gone the Swedish route and gone about business as usual- I'd hazard a guess we'd be approaching those smoking death totals right now.  Be proud America is #1 in the world- in covid deaths- with those restrictions. And we do know the virus can spread like wildfire- and it's a lot more lethal in symptomatic cases than flu that some folks like to drag up as a comparison.