THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon applying for reinstatement!

26 minutes ago, Icecube said:

And in upcoming news, Gordon will be caught puffing again and we will all supposed to feel sorry for him. 

He won't be caught.   I do not think that under the new CBA they are even testing for weed any more,  are they? 

Ahhhh it must be nearing football season......Flash Gordon is applying to play again.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

He won't be caught.   I do not think that under the new CBA they are even testing for weed any more,  are they? 

I've heard mixed reports, and even when I read about the new CBA and how it handles weed, it still seems confusing. 

I'm not sure how they handle it if you were already in the "program" and I don't know for sure if all he was busted for was weed. It usually never specified. I have literally lost count with how many suspensions he's had. 

how many more times can we totally be burnt by dealing with this guy? 😎... hard pass for me.. 2 TE sets or FB set, means WR3 may barely see the field...(Higgins/Ratley/Peoples?)  Bye Gordo 👋

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

1) Another change to the CBA involves the NFL's drug policy. 

2) The new CBA eliminates suspensions for positive marijuana tests. 

3) The testing period has been limited to the first two weeks of training camp, and the threshold for a positive test has been raised from 35 to 150 nanograms of THC.

The question Gipper is- if there's no suspension for a positive test, why are they even bothering testing for it?  Um, considering 9 teams are in states (or the Redskins DC) pretty hard to punish people where it's as legal as booze. Maybe it has to do with driving while buzzed?  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

3) The testing period has been limited to the first two weeks of training camp, and the threshold for a positive test has been raised from 35 to 150 nanograms of THC.

The question Gipper is- if there's no suspension for a positive test, why are they even bothering testing for it?  Um, considering 9 teams are in states (or the Redskins DC) pretty hard to punish people where it's as legal as booze. Maybe it has to do with driving while buzzed?  

Well, I suppose they are still testing for  PEDs,  cocaine, H...or any other types of drugs that are still banned.  I don't know if the tests they give can cover all those substances like a blanket...or if they have to give very specific kinds of tests for it, or the others. 

15 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, I suppose they are still testing for  PEDs,  cocaine, H...or any other types of drugs that are still banned.  I don't know if the tests they give can cover all those substances like a blanket...or if they have to give very specific kinds of tests for it, or the others. 

I can tell you this much Gip. At least as far as illegal drugs that are commonly abused, and how they're tested for. You create an antibody "soup". I'll take cocaine as one example. You futz around in the lab  and create an antibody that will attach to cocaine like glue. Then you add a florescent  dye to the antibody.  If a person has been using cocaine, the drug\bound antibody will light up like a Christmas tree if it's present under UV light. Quantitating levels of THC is similar- you're counting the number of light bulbs that are there.  :)   

As to how they're doing steroid testing? That's above my pay grade- we were never involved in specialized PED testing in a hospital setting. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

That's what I mean, it's vague. And, just because a state makes it legal, I'm pretty sure companies can decide not to hire you if you test baked. I mean, if you can be fired for being drunk on the job...

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Ahhhh it must be nearing football season......Flash Gordon is applying to play again.

It is as ordinary as other yearly events like heat in summer and leaves falling in the fall. 

"Gordon’s suspension falls under the rules of the old CBA, as opposed to the new agreement that has a more lenient drug policy." So he doesn't get a break there.

He will look great as a workout warrior. Someone will say "What the hell" and take a shot on him. He will just be a JAG at this stage of his career, and a smart GM will think to himself that, being a JAG, Gordon doesn't bring any more potential than your typical 2nd-3rd team receiver but does bring additional risk, so will cut him for the average player with less risk. 

Gordon will then join up with Johnny Manziel and do their best Uncle Rico imitation with some minor football league, if one ever comes back.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Icecube said:

That's what I mean, it's vague. And, just because a state makes it legal, I'm pretty sure companies can decide not to hire you if you test baked. I mean, if you can be fired for being drunk on the job...

OK....but now THIS company...the NfL has decided that weed is not something that they will not hire you for, or fire you for. 

I suppose if someone showed up for a game completely high....or drunk, or opioided out....they would just not play him.   What they would do beyond that, I don't know. 

8 hours ago, Nero said:

It is as ordinary as other yearly events like heat in summer and leaves falling in the fall. 

Yes I can almost hear John Facenda's voice from the old NFL Films voice over on the Sundays  "The Autumn Wind":

The Autumn Wind is a pirate
Blustering in from sea,
With a rollicking song, he sweeps along,
Swaggering boisterously.
His face is weather beaten.
He wears a hooded sash,
With a silver hat about his head,
And a bristling black mustache.

With Josh Gordon's annual request

to have yet another chance

because he ran out of doobie money....  :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

OK....but now THIS company...the NfL has decided that weed is not something that they will not hire you for, or fire you for. 

I suppose if someone showed up for a game completely high....or drunk, or opioided out....they would just not play him.   What they would do beyond that, I don't know. 

All I'm saying is I don't really know. Obviously, they have brought punishment for weed way down, and seemingly won't suspend players for it. But have they stopped all testing, even for players like Josh? I don't know. We will see. They probably should just stop testing altogether. It's not like it's performance enhancing. Why should they even care?

10 minutes ago, Icecube said:

All I'm saying is I don't really know. Obviously, they have brought punishment for weed way down, and seemingly won't suspend players for it. But have they stopped all testing, even for players like Josh? I don't know. We will see. They probably should just stop testing altogether. It's not like it's performance enhancing. Why should they even care?

Yea,  don't know either.  Maybe someone does. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

This does present other problems and issues for the NFL.

20 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Why invite the distraction? Not even a need. Where did Calloway go? I'd give him another chance before this guy. 

Good point. I just always believed in his ability. Strong hands/big frame don’t go away with age.

He’d have to sign for cheap/want to play here. But I’m okay with passing. This offense has plenty of firepower as is.

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Josh is not a team player.  He's not a hard worker.  He doesn't always give 100%.  Would be a bad vibe to send the team.

I still remember Gordon coming back off one of his suspensions and completely hanging Brian Hoyer out to drive by running routes that only he seemed to think existed, and giving a half-ass effort at that, in what some speculated was his attempt to sabotage Hoyer to get his boy Johnny Fucking Football on the field. 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Barry said:

"Gordon’s suspension falls under the rules of the old CBA, as opposed to the new agreement that has a more lenient drug policy." So he doesn't get a break there.

Thanks... having also read the very short article I was wondering how long the "new CBA" discussion would go on...

Mildly surprised to see he's an FA. Some team will take a chance on him, albeit more likely after an injury need surfaces.

I wonder how TB12 would feel about him in TB?

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I still remember Gordon coming back off one of his suspensions and completely hanging Brian Hoyer out to drive by running routes that only he seemed to think existed, and giving a half-ass effort at that, in what some speculated was his attempt to sabotage Hoyer to get his boy Johnny Fucking Football on the field. 

I'm not big on conspiracy theories. -but- this one smells TRUE in some ways with Josh "I need another outrageous paycheck" -and- I miss my old Doobie buddy Johnny.......the one with a marijuana tattoo on his wrist.

Somehow I don't think that would be in the BROWNS best interest.....ever.