THE BROWNS BOARD

The 2020 Rules Changes Thread

Tour2ma

Check out the proposed onside kick replacement. It's got more potential impact than any of the others.

Good article on it here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/among-nfl-rule-change-proposals-is-a-fourth-and-15-play-replacing-an-onside-kick/ar-BB14qExg?ocid=spartandhp

Full list below from https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-rules/2020-rules-proposals/

image.thumb.png.9659d26ac00aa0efc7c4a3e042de26ff.png

I hate that 4th and 15 onside kick thing.   If you're losing the game then you deserve to be losing the game!   Don't penalize the team that has worked hard to get a lead.

Let's change the NBA to Make It - Take it then!

I hear that they are supposed to vote on the 4th and 15  proposal like today. 

I heard another alternative being that a team could select to do a 4th and 2 or 3......but if they choose that the MUST run the ball.  No forward pass allowed...not even "Utah passes".

If they do adopt the 4th and 15,  I understand that they can only choose that option during the  regulation time....not OT.  And they can only do it twice. 

If they go with the 4th and 15, I can see a number of hook and ladder plays being called......or the  "Music City Miracle"  like plays.

A key though, as noted above, is that if you fail, the other team gets the ball where they stop you.    In other words, say it is an incomplete pass.....the defending team then gets the ball on your  25 yard line.  In other words, they are basically already in  Field Goal range. 

• Thanks 1

You know who is not making No Fun League cracks today, after owners tabled a proposal to allow teams to convert a fourth-and-15 play as an alternative to an onside kick? Special teams acolytes, who worried the play would be another baby step toward taking the kickoff out of the game.

That was never the case -- the kickoff is alive and well, despite safety-related rules changes that drove the success rate of an onside kick attempt down to 10.5 percent in the last two years. But the owners' decision to pass again on the fourth-and-15 play -- it failed badly last year -- was a nod to the traditionalists, who have long worried that the idea is too gimmicky, as Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II told Pittsburgh reporters on Thursday afternoon. Another reason to reconsider such a proposal: the conversion rate on fourth-and-15 plays over the last 10 seasons is 26.7 percent, well above the onside kick recovery rate even before the safety rules changes, which was 16.3 percent from 2013 to 2017. That might simply give teams too good a chance, an acknowledgement that one owner made during their virtual meeting when he suggested teams that have Hall of Fame-caliber quarterbacks should not be part of the discussion.

"There is definitely that theory that you don't want to make the comeback too easy," said Rich McKay, the chairman of the Competition Committee. "You worked all game to get ahead."

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Would you have loved it less if there was a legitimate OT system in place and they won? 

I'd like the win but would have missed multiple spectacular plays that 7 OT produced by both sides.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

meh.  Those plays happen every week in college football in regulation time. 

Nope. It was one play after another every single overtime. There were more spectacular plays in the overtimes than any 3 full college games combined.

It was named Sports Illustrated's Game of the Year for 2018. https://www.si.com/college/2018/11/28/regular-season-top-10-games-lsu-texas-am

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Nope. It was one play after another every single overtime. There were more spectacular plays in the overtimes than any 3 full college games combined.

It was named Sports Illustrated's Game of the Year for 2018. https://www.si.com/college/2018/11/28/regular-season-top-10-games-lsu-texas-am

Not impressed by games that take such gimmickry to the extreme.  I am not saying that the kids didn't make great plays...even spectacular plays.  But having to go to 7 OTs with this system is a farce. 

On 5/22/2020 at 9:47 AM, Orion said:

I hate that 4th and 15 onside kick thing.   If you're losing the game then you deserve to be losing the game!   Don't penalize the team that has worked hard to get a lead.

Let's change the NBA to Make It - Take it then!

I kind of agree let's not get too cute with the rule changes unless they have to......proven data on health concerns, etc.

ALSO I hate multiple OT games I like the current NFL version and then let it end in a tie unless it is a playoff game.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

ALSO I hate multiple OT games I like the current NFL version and then let it end in a tie unless it is a playoff game.

Ya know what?  I don't have a problem with games ending in a tie.  Play 60 minutes...and end the game...so that 60 Minutes can come on on time.  :)

Obviously, playoffs 'require' a winner and a loser....but IMO, the regular season does not.

edit:  add:  For the VAST majority of the last 20 years.....A TIE would've been a HUGE VICTORY for us.  

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

OK, that made no sense whatsoever. 

Lol....So, I say, for the regular season, no OT.   -  Play 60 minutes of football then we can all get the hell out of there.

And Woody says, We're going to clone him right into his suite so we can all get the hell out of here.

They can table that 4th & 15 rule every year in my traditional 🏈 opinion.. or till they can find a replacement for Troy Vincent :o...

I listened to Mr. V, try to explain the 'non-gimmick' of this rule yesterday.. of why any sports team, getting their butts handed to them all day should even earn a chance?

Vincent replied "The NFL is a 60 minute 'entertainment' business" Get Out! before we can build 20 point comeback Targets🎯       

Edit--i get my fair share of rule changes just flipping on a browns game weekly..why risk anymore? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

They can table that 4th & 15 rule every year in my traditional 🏈 opinion.. or till they can find a replacement for Troy Vincent :o...

I listened to Mr. V, try to explain the 'non-gimmick' of this rule yesterday.. of why any sports team, getting their butts handed to them all day should even earn a chance?

Vincent replied "The NFL is a 60 minute 'entertainment' business" Get Out! before we can build 20 point comeback Targets🎯       

Edit--i get my fair share of rule changes just flipping on a browns game weekly..why risk anymore? 

The refs have seemed to come up with new rules from time to time to keep the Browns from winning.   Going back to the Bottle game. 

The onside proposal made some sense, but it did seem a bit easy. Maybe 4th and 20-25 would have evened the odds.  The other factor is the goofy refs.  Throw a flag, automatic first down.  You don't see many flags thrown on the team receiving the ball on a onside kick. They are usually on the kicking team, now the offensive team.  Now the burden favors the kicking team even further. I am tired of refs changing games.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

The onside proposal made some sense,

Not to me it didn't.

Does baseball give the losing team 4 or 5 outs because they're getting beat?   Does basketball turn into Make It, Take It because a team is losing?

Why bother watching the whole game?  Just tune in at the end when the 'silliness' that'll decide the game takes place.

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Not to me it didn't.

Does baseball give the losing team 4 or 5 outs because they're getting beat?   Does basketball turn into Make It, Take It because a team is losing?

Why bother watching the whole game?  Just tune in at the end when the 'silliness' that'll decide the game takes place.

You mean like not calling an obvious PI that kept N.O. out of the Superbowl?

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You mean like not calling an obvious PI that kept N.O. out of the Superbowl?

Well, yes but no.  That's a total screw up.  I'm talking about purposely making rules to screw the team that's worked hard and done the right things all game long, just to give the losing team more chances to screw the opponent.  

How 'bout we do this?  The team captains walk out to the middle of the field, the ref tosses the coin, the home team calls it in the air, the winner of the toss is the winner of the game.  Done.  We can all get the hell out-a-here.  (don't make me post Woody Allen again)

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Well, yes but no.  That's a total screw up.  I'm talking about purposely making rules to screw the team that's worked hard and done the right things all game long, just to give the losing team more chances to screw the opponent.  

How 'bout we do this?  The team captains walk out to the middle of the field, the ref tosses the coin, the home team calls it in the air, the winner of the toss is the winner of the game.  Done.  We can all get the hell out-a-here.  (don't make me post Woody Allen again)

The Browns would find a way to lose 9 tosses.😂

17 hours ago, Orion said:

That's a total screw up.  I'm talking about purposely making rules to screw the team that's worked hard and done the right things all game long

They purposely made non-calls at the end of a game not reviewable.  That screwed a team which had worked hard and done the right things all game long.

So, they need to change rules.

Under the new CBa... which rules might have gotten media confused for the 2020* season? these 2 links might be the best 2 explanations to follow for 2020?   

Rule Changes

https://dawgsbynature.com/2020/6/4/21280852/list-of-the-nfl-rule-changes-and-the-bylaw-approved-for-the-2020-season 

Roster size

https://arrowheadpride.com/2020/5/5/21246410/understanding-the-nfls-new-roster-rules-beginning-in-2020 

edit-- The cancelled London game with Jacksonville...becomes a home game... In* Jacksonville... 

• Upvote 1