THE BROWNS BOARD

Changes on the Oline

Guest Masters

Guest Masters

With Steinbach likely out, it seems the Browns are thinking of moving Seth McKinney over into Eric's spot for the Denver game.

In the short week, this worries me more than handing the ball over to Quinn. We have all seen what happens when the G and T have not had time working next to each other. With DEN certainly bringing the heat, I would not be surprised if there are a few blown blocking assignments on the left side of the line this week.

ya know, i have been reading this site for some time now and the knowledge just amazes me sometimes, i do not think i am the most up to date fan on here, or am i saying i am smarter than anyother fan here, but i really would like to see more posts on true fan thoughts, from seeing games live or just thoughts on things noticed from watching games on tv rather than simple cut and paste posts from other sporting sites. icon_e_ugeek.gif

Should be a clue to Chud to get Quinn moving out of the pocket, rolling out away from the pressure. Also, should be a good opportunity to throw some swing passes to a guy like Harrison.

I certainly would like to see the "Flash" packaged, with Cribbs used more.

Guest Masters

I think that will be a bigger part of the offense (or would hope). Quinn is far more mobile. I would really like to see some playaction bootlegs, allowing Quinn to roll out and the TE to come across the field to where Quinn would be rolling out to.

Guest Masters
ya know, i have been reading this site for some time now and the knowledge just amazes me sometimes, i do not think i am the most up to date fan on here, or am i saying i am smarter than anyother fan here, but i really would like to see more posts on true fan thoughts, from seeing games live or just thoughts on things noticed from watching games on tv rather than simple cut and paste posts from other sporting sites. icon_e_ugeek.gif

If you have been reading it for a while, then you would know what you just said is far from the truth. Plus, how does that fit in with this tread? Other than I mentioned the reported change (which was followed by my fans thoughts).

Guest Masters

Where I think Eric gets missed the most is in the run game, even though that isn't what was supposed to be his strong suit. Because even in his absense this season, it's not like the pass protection on the left side has suffered all that much. Especially when you consider CLE has dropped back to pass a good amount of times (in the top 15 among teams), yet has allowed the 7th fewest sacks. Which of course leads back to the contention I always had with the DA gets rid of the ball quick notion. While that is nice, it really doesn't do much good if the ball he throws is consitantly an INC.

with dj williams, marlon mcree and champ bailey out, might the broncos change their defensive game plan and not blitz as much? they'd be missing a great linebacker, a solid safety and a once-great corner. you'd think they might not want to leave their secondary exposed.

either way, is a bootleg the answer to avoiding a blitz? the QB is still holding the ball if he's rolling out. i would think they would take advantage of braylon's size and K2's ability to catch in traffic by calling shorter routes, short ins and slants, while having quinn throw jump balls deep that BE can compete for since he only makes tough catches these days.

Guest Masters

The boot still lets you do that off of play action. It also can allow you to roll away from the blitz (which buys you time to get awy from it) and bring guys across the field, starting from where the blitz originally came from.

You make some good points about DEN maybe not bringing the heat because of those losses on their D. One thing for sure, if they bring the heat and Quinn beats it a few times, they will quickly back off being short handed. I'd expect DEN to mix in a lot of blitzes and different zones in an effort to give Quinn a lot of different looks to try and confuse him.

The line has lacked in run blocking at times because of the absence of Tucker. Hadnot can road grade and help Fraley out more when Tuck plays LT, which is a moot point anymore.

Hadnot can whiff big time on the pass and he and Fraley together don't make exactly the best we could offer in that regard. Steiny is underrated as a run blocker IMO and also has good instincts on when to help Fraley and turn JT loose.

Mckinney is decent, but he is certainly not who we want for very long as a starter. For one thing, he doesn't play long before he goes down, he's more there as an in game insurance guy. People forget about losing Friedman too, and he really came into play on wedge blocking for kickoffs. Factor in both he and Chaun Thompson missing from last year's wedge and that is a big reason Cribbs took so long to get going (sans injury).

Shaffer has regressed, which makes me think having Tucker next to him really helped him out. I figured him for improvement since he's had a year to learn RT, but when they were talking about Tuck playing RT even before Shafe's concussion, that said a lot.

I would rank the line on best overall guys that are starting this week as:

Thomas

Hadnot

Fraley

Shaffer

Mckinney

Sure as hell not as good as"

Tucker

Thomas

Steinbach

Hadnot

Fraley

Big difference there, but we're not the only team that goes through this. They should be okay, but certainly not what we were hoping they would be, which we all seen on Monday Night.

Guest Masters

The loss of Tucker and Friedman are big. Maybe more so on Friedman. Not just for the wedge on returns, but because he could play all 3 interior line positions.

As for Shaffer, when people talk about Phils wiffs, there is the biggest by far. Notice where most pressure on a CLE QB comes from.

Yeah, but Shaffer had a pretty good year last year Mik, I thought the dude was a complete and utter bust before that.

That's the danger of FA that Flugs always talks about. Way overpaying for a guy just because he's at a position of need.

Mckinney is the backup center now that Friedman is out and he is not a bad option. A better option would be to have them all healthy, but this is the Cleveland Browns.

We don't want to have to see Sowells, I'll go out on a limb there.

Guest Masters

Shaff had an adequet year last year. But when Tucker is still out playing him. I think he was pulled along by the rest of the line (which stayed fairly healthy).

Yeah, I am thinking we don't want to see Sowells. Of course I didn't realize he was still on the regular roster.

Archived