THE BROWNS BOARD

Top "Live Tracks...

A Pat Travers mention in the Top 5 (or so) Concerts thread brought this classic, and my top track, to mind...Pat's cover of Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights).

For my money it has all the elements: raw energy, being right-sized (not too long, not too short), decent sound quality (but not too polished) and, maybe most importantly, audience participation.

If you've not heard it, then I dare you to not tap a toe. If you have, then I dare you to not throw a couple well-timed head snaps to boot... ;)

There are others I love, but all lack at least one of Boom Boom's elements...

• Alvin Lee's (Ten Years After) Goin' Home... Woodstock... raw energy somehow summoned up thru end-of-set exhaustion kinda sums it up. However,  its multiple guitar solos produce mixed results. At least one of the "misses" was kindly, and fairly skillfully, edited out of the movie/soundtrack. That said Alvin's growled vocals pretty well even the score.
  • Love me some Comes Alive, which can place a couple tracks on my list, but Frampton generally falls short energy-wise compensating with playfulness and maybe a little "talk-box" charm. Do You Feel Like We Do has enough energy, adds the other elements and generates audience response, if not participation. Oddly that came on the next track, the acoustic, All I Want To Be (Is By Your Side, which turned into a singalong.
  • Speaking of Frampton... Humble Pie / Performance: Rocking the Fillmore... 7 tracks with 1:12:32 of playtime? Can you say jammin'? And then there's a 2-hour version of youtube??? (Note to self to check that out!) The finale,  I Don't Need No Doctormakes my list as does Steve Marriott, albeit a different list... Great Bad Voices of Rock.... or maybe Distinctive/Unique voices would be kinder.
  • Lastly (for now), and included here despite missing most of my criteria... There's a live track of Tom Petty starting Breakdown where he stops after "It's alright if you love me. It's alright..." because the audience had picked up the singing so loudly that it stunned him to silence. After finishing "... if you don't", then they stop, but Tom tells them, "No. No... keep going." So they do and finish the opening stanza. Can't remember hearing such a spontaneous takeover of a song by any other audience. It's a great moment. Tom does take the song back at the chorus and keeps it, but again... what a moment.

Here's the thing tho with my Petty entry... I know I've heard it multiple times, but I can't find it. Lost count of how many ways I've googled looking for it, but some keyword has eluded me. So if anyone has any leads, please link me up. I have seen other versions where Tom encourages the audience to run with song, but not the spontaneous one.

Gotta get ready for markets' opening...

More later...

I am curious:    Is  Elton John's famous version of Bennie and the Jets a live version?  It certainly seems so.   Or was that a studio rendition meant to sound "live".    

I googled it and found the answer:

Elton's producer Gus Dudgeon wanted a live feel on this recording, so he mixed in crowd noise from a show Elton played in 1972 at Royal Festival Hall. He also included a series of whistles from a live concert in Vancouver B.C., and added hand claps and various shouts. >>

(and the Humble Pie, Frampton and Ten Years After are excellent choices in this category). 

Another great live version of a song, is the live version of what is now DJTs  motto:

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Pat sat in with me and Easy Street twice once in Cleveland and once in Dallas. Very nice young man. Boom Boom Out Go The Lights is one of the top five audience participation songs ever.

Ever heard the Original version? You can both hear the foundation and appreciate Pat's reimagining of it...

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2020 at 9:53 AM, Tour2ma said:

There's a live track of Tom Petty starting Breakdown where he stops after "It's alright if you love me. It's alright..." because the audience had picked up the singing so loudly that it stunned him to silence. After finishing "... if you don't", then they stop, but Tom tells them, "No. No... keep going." So they do and finish the opening stanza. Can't remember hearing such a spontaneous takeover of a song by any other audience. It's a great moment. Tom does take the song back at the chorus and keeps it, but again... what a moment.

Here's the thing tho with my Petty entry... I know I've heard it multiple times, but I can't find it. Lost count of how many ways I've googled looking for it, but some keyword has eluded me. So if anyone has any leads, please link me up. I have seen other versions where Tom encourages the audience to run with song, but not the spontaneous one.

Am not even sure this track was ever put on to a CD...  found this version from my old cassette collection 🧐... yes kiddos, they came after the 8 tracks     

1985 The Wiltern Theatre, Cali... 

5 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Am not even sure this track was ever put on to a CD...  found this version from my old cassette collection 🧐... yes kiddos, they came after the 8 tracks   

Nope... not it, but appreciate the effort.

And I have over a hundred of them there cassette thingies... CrO2s... most won't turn anymore. Not exactly the highest quality as I was on a student's budget.

Bought an early Sony top loader (model TCD-something) with Dolby B in summer of '71 as did a couple roomies. I still have it although its playing days are over. It was one of the first affordable models.

Almost all I have started out as blanks I used to record my LPs and some dorm passarounds plus some off-the-air stuff. It's the latter that is the irreplaceable stuff. Only have a handful of prerecorded ones.

I've tried a few things to get them rolling again... splitting cases open and cleaning friction points, silicon spray... mostly to little benefit. Read a long time ago that "washing" them helps... at least to get another play out of them so they can be transferred to CD, but have never tried that route... yet.

Also bought an Akai deck in the 90s when the cassette was on its deathbed. All the bells and whistles are there... 3 Dolbys to choose plus "HX-Pro" (?), manual biasing, direct drive. With a decent Chrome-oxide blank I could dup a CD and you might be able to tell them apart. With a full metal tape, you'd have no shot. Of course as portable as CDs are and as easy as they became to make... why bother with tape?

On 5/18/2020 at 9:53 AM, Tour2ma said:

A Pat Travers mention in the Top 5 (or so) Concerts thread brought this classic, and my top track, to mind...Pat's cover of Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights).

For my money it has all the elements: raw energy, being right-sized (not too long, not too short), decent sound quality (but not too polished) and, maybe most importantly, audience participation.

If you've not heard it, then I dare you to not tap a toe. If you have, then I dare you to not throw a couple well-timed head snaps to boot... ;)

There are others I love, but all lack at least one of Boom Boom's elements...

• Alvin Lee's (Ten Years After) Goin' Home... Woodstock... raw energy somehow summoned up thru end-of-set exhaustion kinda sums it up. However,  its multiple guitar solos produce mixed results. At least one of the "misses" was kindly, and fairly skillfully, edited out of the movie/soundtrack. That said Alvin's growled vocals pretty well even the score.
  • Love me some Comes Alive, which can place a couple tracks on my list, but Frampton generally falls short energy-wise compensating with playfulness and maybe a little "talk-box" charm. Do You Feel Like We Do has enough energy, adds the other elements and generates audience response, if not participation. Oddly that came on the next track, the acoustic, All I Want To Be (Is By Your Side, which turned into a singalong.
  • Speaking of Frampton... Humble Pie / Performance: Rocking the Fillmore... 7 tracks with 1:12:32 of playtime? Can you say jammin'? And then there's a 2-hour version of youtube??? (Note to self to check that out!) The finale,  I Don't Need No Doctormakes my list as does Steve Marriott, albeit a different list... Great Bad Voices of Rock.... or maybe Distinctive/Unique voices would be kinder.
  • Lastly (for now), and included here despite missing most of my criteria... There's a live track of Tom Petty starting Breakdown where he stops after "It's alright if you love me. It's alright..." because the audience had picked up the singing so loudly that it stunned him to silence. After finishing "... if you don't", then they stop, but Tom tells them, "No. No... keep going." So they do and finish the opening stanza. Can't remember hearing such a spontaneous takeover of a song by any other audience. It's a great moment. Tom does take the song back at the chorus and keeps it, but again... what a moment.

Gotta get ready for markets' opening...

More later...

The guy who played lead guitar for him on Boom Boom and Snortin Whiskey (Pat Thrall) never gets enough credit for being one of the great Blues/Rock Guitarists of our generation.... Pat Thrall also shines on Hughes/Thrall.. a 1982 release that never got the proper AOR backing it richly deserved..  It featured the songwriting Duo of Glenn Hughes (Trapeze and Deep Purple) and Pat Thrall (Meatloaf and Pat Travers)