THE BROWNS BOARD

Top Five Concerts You Attended...

Well... since I can't compete with the concert totals being posted unless I also add the roller coasters I've ridden... about 150... ;) it feels like time to name some memorable, smaller venue shows... those with crowds of 1000 or less.

In addition to the Party on the Plaza series I've mentioned with ~1000 attending here's a couple ...

Buzzy Linhart at The Smiling Dog Saloon circa 1973 - Buzzy was a bit of a local legend. He was almost famous in two areas: greater Cleveland and NYC. Most remembered for writing The Love's Still Growing (Carly Simon) and You've Got to Have Friends (Bette Midler) Buzzy was a warm, troubled man and a great, playful, live act moving from guitar to xylophone and back often in the same song. Smiling Dog was a great place to see him and meet him between sets. Saw him one other time in a long, thin downtown club with the stage high above us on a 2nd floor... terrible venue in general that robbed Buzzy of his greatest asset, his personality. Sadly Buzzy left us a couple years ago.

Hamilton Loomis at various Galveston and Houston area clubs over the past 20 years - Loomis, a blues-based guitar-slinger, came out of Galveston under the mentorship of Bo Diddley among other blues-rock legends. In all I've seen Ham around a half-dozen times and own about the same out of his 8 CDs and counting. His shows are always fun, and always include a table walk and at least one rock medley where he dups famous rock riffs from Page to Jimi to Eric to SRV to... all with ease. Ham tours almost constantly in normal times all over the states with the occasional Europe tour as well. If he comes your way, I encourage you to check him out. Dates can be found here: hamiltonloomis.com . Here's a taste of one of my fav's...

Little Charlie and the Nightcats in Pat and Pete's Bon Ton Room, Houston, TX, circa 1996 - Fun evening in which I barely understood a single lyric... so I bought their Captured Live CD, and that did help. While not in a regular rotation, it's still playable... and fun... with their Dump That Chump leading the way.

Kenny Wayne Shepard at a now defunct, formerly annual, East Texas Art and (later) Music Fest that ran from the early-90sthru the mid-2010s - A lot of great acts played this event thru the years including The Fabulous T-birds, The Black Crows, Leon Russell, Joe Ely and Eddie Money. I saw all them. KWS played one of the last, if not the last, shows in the series. The wife was a big fan while I was luke-warm on him at best, but this was a great evening, albeit a wet one due to a series of showers moving thru the area. Kenny had turned over much of the vocal duties to a frontman vocalist, who, if anything, had too good of a voice for the Blues, but it freed Kenny to pick and choose his vocals and do what he did bast... play guitar. IIRC Blue Oyster Cult was cancelled the prior nite by severe storm warnings... which did materialize in force.

Two more... both vying for the best of all the smalls...

"A Benefit Concert for Jimmy Don Smith" at (somebody's) Backstage Club, Missouri City, TX circa 1990... Jimmy Don was a DFW area musician and session player who died of cancer and left a mountain of bills. Various artists played dates in Texas' big metropolitan areas to raise funds. I attended this show southwest of Houston proper and thru a series of events ended up at the club owner's table (sorry for not remembering your name...). The lineup donating its time this nite included: Bonnie Raitt, Delbert McClinton, Fab T-birds' Kim Wilson and Jimmie Ray Vaughn, local Houston-legend Shake Russell and more.

Bonnie Raitt and Little Feat(?)... yup... and the Feat... CWRU's Fall Weekends in Adelbert Gym ('71) and Strosacker Auditorium ('72). This was Lowell George-powered Feat on the rise from Sailin' Shoes to Dixie Chicken opening with a full set of their own and then staying on to back up a young Bonnie still deep in her Blues roots. The Auditorium's sound was better, but it's relatively sanitized look and feel made the Gym's show more memorable. Both were great, however, and really belong in my top five of any size.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:43 PM, Tour2ma said:

Just noticed the setlist link failed to make it into my above post.

Sorry 'bout that...

Also thought of another Party on the Plaza player... Ohio native, Rick Derringer.

All American Boy still gets some play in this house.... Teenage Love Affair... The Airport Giveth... and, of course, Rock n Roll, Hoochie Koo. If memory serves, Rick wrote the latter for Johnny Winter, whose band he was in for a while. I saw them in the Pub Aud one winter... for free. :)Johnny Winter And was opening for Mountain, who failed to make it to the gig due to weather, so all attendees received refunds... and got a full set of Johnny.

Pop Quiz: What was Rick's first commercially successful Band and what 60's song of theirs not only charted, but made it to #1? Hint: There's a Columbus, Ohio band that still plays it.

Later on Rick played with Edgar.

And now I want to say Edgar Winter Partied on the Plaza as well.... but not 100% sure of that... dammit.

last time i saw Rick was at heinygate  for ttun vs The Ohio State Buckeyes  good times man

7 hours ago, ATOM said:

last time i saw Rick was at heinygate  for ttun vs The Ohio State Buckeyes  good times man

As I mentioned earlier, we ran into Rick at lunch Tuesday.. Was good to see him and Jenda out and about but he's starting to show the miles..

On 5/24/2020 at 4:37 PM, Axe said:

As I mentioned earlier, we ran into Rick at lunch Tuesday.. Was good to see him and Jenda out and about but he's starting to show the miles..

right on i am glad he is still alive and well

I saw Wayne Kramer(MC5) last year and he actually looked pretty good considering all the drugs he took but he has been clean for awhile now

On 5/18/2020 at 12:52 PM, The Gipper said:

I asked my wife for her input on this question.   She and I have not gone to a lot of concerts together as I was already like 29 when I met her, and most of my concert going days were over.  Besides that,  our musical tastes are a lot different.  She would never deign to go to an Alice Cooper or Kiss concert.    She would have preferred like the string haired folky bitches..There is  one act that we could agree on and on her list this is the only one we went together to see. 

Crosby, Stills, and Nash    Blossom Music Center

But when she was in high school in Racine Wisc.  apparently they would bring in acts to perform  at the local YMCA for dances,  and here are a couple of bands that she saw at what you could basically call  "sock hops""

Buffalo Springfield

The McCoys

Her other two memorable ones were:

Moody Blues,   she saw them in Milwaukee when she was in college.

Jimmy Buffet,  saw him here after she moved here with her sister. 

You were like 29 or you were 29?

Elvis - Two weeks before he croaked.. Someone couldn't make it so I got to go see him.. The guy was a great showman.. Even with all the excess weight he had on.

Triumph - Richfield Colliseum was rocking loud that night. It was the loudest concert they ever had at 92. Decibels. My ears were still ringing 2 days later.. Great show.. Foghat and Kix opened.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Music Hall 1986 What a great show.. He broke strings on 5 of the guitars he used that night and didn't miss a beat.

Albert King - Peabodys downunder . Blues legends come and go.. But this guy was a power house and a huge influence on many including myself

Dweezil Plays Zappa - Saw him 5 years ago at the House of Blues. The son of Frank Zappa.. Talented guitarist and musician period..That band rocked. They had some chick playing Sax and she blew the doors off the place..

AC/DC - I had to add this extra one because Angus Young (lead Guitar) is the greatest showman on the planet.. He was non stop perpetual motion..This was the thunderstruck tour 91-92...

On 5/18/2020 at 4:43 PM, Tour2ma said:

Just noticed the setlist link failed to make it into my above post.

Sorry 'bout that...

Also thought of another Party on the Plaza player... Ohio native, Rick Derringer.

All American Boy still gets some play in this house.... Teenage Love Affair... The Airport Giveth... and, of course, Rock n Roll, Hoochie Koo. If memory serves, Rick wrote the latter for Johnny Winter, whose band he was in for a while. I saw them in the Pub Aud one winter... for free. :)Johnny Winter And was opening for Mountain, who failed to make it to the gig due to weather, so all attendees received refunds... and got a full set of Johnny.

Pop Quiz: What was Rick's first commercially successful Band and what 60's song of theirs not only charted, but made it to #1? Hint: There's a Columbus, Ohio band that still plays it.

Later on Rick played with Edgar.

And now I want to say Edgar Winter Partied on the Plaza as well.... but not 100% sure of that... dammit.

johnny and edgar are 2 of my favorite musicians... I loved Johnnys Second Winter record that had future SRV bassist Tommy Shannon on bass...Edgar's multi versatility speaks for itself...He has been associated with great guitar players right from his brother Johnny to Doug Rappaport.. Ronnie Montrose also was on Edgars record and did Frankenstein..

footOK....top five, no real order

My mom took me to see Elvis when I was young.  My first rock concert. That has to be there.

Merle Haggard.  The Hag was great. I mean really great.  We went to a concert here in town many 5 years ago now, a few years before Merle passed.  He played for a little over 3 hours.  He knew he was nearing the end.  He kicked the footlights out that night.  It was amazing.

Johnny Cash...the man in black. Got to respect that.

Bachman Turner Overdrive.  Maybe 1975.  It was more the environment, Agoura, 10 feet off center stage, we drank a lot of beer, taking care of business.

The Cleveland Orchestra puts on a good concert.  I'll add them.

8 hours ago, nickers said:

Elvis - Two weeks before he croaked.. Someone couldn't make it so I got to go see him.. The guy was a great showman.. Even with all the excess weight he had on.

Triumph - Richfield Colliseum was rocking loud that night. It was the loudest concert they ever had at 92. Decibels. My ears were still ringing 2 days later.. Great show.. Foghat and Kix opened.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Music Hall 1986 What a great show.. He broke strings on 5 of the guitars he used that night and didn't miss a beat.

Albert King - Peabodys downunder . Blues legends come and go.. But this guy was a power house and a huge influence on many including myself

Dweezil Plays Zappa - Saw him 5 years ago at the House of Blues. The son of Frank Zappa.. Talented guitarist and musician period..That band rocked. They had some chick playing Sax and she blew the doors off the place..

AC/DC - I had to add this extra one because Angus Young (lead Guitar) is the greatest showman on the planet.. He was non stop perpetual motion..This was the thunderstruck tour 91-92...

I was at thunderstruck at the omni in Atlanta 

security let me down on the floor (made it up to 3rd or 4th row ) for a few songs and then tapped me on the shoulder (time to go back to your seat young stoner lad)

everyone i have talked to said Dweezil plays Zappa is bad ass

I saw STV on couldnt stand the weather tour in a high school gym in Laport Ind man he was kinda drunk but still just killed it

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Makes me want to spin I'm in a Phone Booth, Baby.

I used to have that on vinyl

• 3 weeks later...