THE BROWNS BOARD

Top Five Concerts You Attended...

Reason a couple old concert threads have resurfaced (one here, one in The Barber Shop) is I was checking to see if this topic had been done before.

Why Top Five? No reason... if you have more, fine. If you only have want to bother with one, fine as well...

If it's a better fit for the Barber Shop, fine as well...

Anyway... here's mine.

5. Chicago - Blues Image... August 15, 1970... Public Aud... My first concert. Blues Image was enjoying their hit's success, Ride Captain Ride, and posted a strong enough set that the attendee chatter between acts was whether Chicago could top them. They did. This was their Silver Album tour. A release that is a permanent resident in my road-trip box. As full of a stage of musicians as I've ever seen at a rock concert. I read that it got fuller when Blues Image joined them for an encore jam of I'm a Man that went on for over 20 minutes...

Had to read about it because my frickin' date had a curfew and when she threatened to hitch home if she had to... well, I missed the end of the regular set as well... :(

4. Jean Michel Jarre... April 5, 1986... Houston, TX... Rendezvous Houston on the near northwest side of Houston starting just after dusk. The concert was a three-way celebration of Texas' and Houston's 150th birthdays plus NASA's 25th anniversary. It was memorable for a few reasons that put it on this list...

• I invited all my closest friends.... Not sure how many showed as I stopped counting at 1,000,000. :) Some estimates put attendance at 1.5mm. In either case I'll never attend a bigger concert.
  • The sound system... My group of four sat about a 1/4 mile from the stage (couldn't get closer). I was concerned about being able to hear, but a sound check quickly erased that concern and by concert's end my ears were becoming fatigued.
  • The fireworks and a laser show. Fireworks were launched off many of Houston's skyscrapers while lasers were projected onto them along with other video and still images. Slight downer in that there was a very low cloud ceiling that evening. Low enough that the tops of the taller buildings were in the clouds. However, exploding fireworks in clouds give them an iridescence that's appealing in a different way.
  • The Port-o-Lets and gridlock trying to get out of Houston? Not highlights, but they reinforced the enormity of the event.

TBH... the music was not all that memorable with one exception... Kurt Whalum, saxophonist, subbed for sax-playing astronaut, Ronald McNair, who was supposed to have recorded a solo from space. But his ride, two-months earlier was the Challenger space shuttle. As deeply as that tragedy was felt nationwide, nowhere was it felt more deeply than in Houston and Clear Lake City , a then Houston suburb and home of NASA's Johnson Space Center.

I actually heard McNair play once at a Billy Joel concert in Houston's Summit Arena. Not sure how he and Billy got to know each other, but McNair requested Just the Way You Are, a song Billy had "retired" from his concert playlist. Billy agreed to do so, but only if Ronald would play in place of his regular sax player. Pretty cool moment that rated at least an Honorable Mention here.

3. Santana ... Cleveland Public Aud... 10-02-71... no opening act. Not sure how, but this concert had those of us with floor seats not only on our feet or simply standing on our chairs, but standing with one foot on the backs of our chairs and the other on the back of the folks' in the row in front of us boogieing our asses off.

It was the most energy I've ever felt at a concert. How no one was hurt remains a mystery.

2. David Bowie... His Ziggy tour and US concert debut in the Music Hall... Sept. 22, 1972. Far and away my concert-going claim to fame. Lesser known fact is that he returned to Pub Aud in November of that year to play two more shows as part of the same tour. One later show was part of the original tour plan, but as Ziggy's US LP-sales grew to 200,000 it became obvious to Bowie's management that they had to start the tour in Cleveland since half the LP sales were there... so the Music Hall date was added.

There are still some clips of his debut on youtube... one is a grainy 8mm film with appropriately bad, unsync'd audio of The Jean Genie and another, bad audio-only of the set-closing Suffragette City, but there was an encore or three... :)  There's a film of the tour's complete set and finale at London's Hammersmith Odeon Theater... Ziggy Stadust The Motion Picture (CD Audio) , but film clips appear in the "next up" list. Unfortunately while better the audio is not great and the picture quality leaves a little to be desired to boot.

1. Even given the above this choice is still an easy one... August 11, 1971... Akron Rubber Bowl... Yes plus the TBDs from the poster below... John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra and  Eagles. Festival seating... sat on-field, center-stage about 20 bodies back from it.

Eagles just had Take It Easy charting. They played in sunlight and were largely ignored by a still-arriving crowd, but seemed like they could care less. Smiling ear-to-ear they just seemed to be enjoying playing.

McLaughlin and Maha... They came on at dusk and TBH I hadn't heard them, and was alternately confused and engrossed. But there was something there that made me listen up. This was John's original lineup including Billy Cobham (drums), Jan Hammer (keyboards), Jerry Goodman (violin) and Rick Laird (bass). Both The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire, the only two LPs this lineup recorded, have been playlist staples forever.

Yes... Principally this was their The Yes Album tour, but earlier material, e.g., Time and a Word, plus some new material that would later appear on Fragile found its way into the set.

I also saw Alice guillotined that summer, but don't know why I did not attend more shows... especially Humble Pie and Allman Bros...

If i could turn back the hands of time...

image.thumb.png.cd9fbc535c2cbb82017585925df1a1a5.png

• Like 1

1) Led Zeppelin Friday, June 3, 1977  Tampa Stadium

https://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/music/a-rained-out-led-zeppelin-concert-caused-a-riot-at-tampa-stadium-40-years/2326008/

This was one ugly night. I still have my ticket stub somewhere that clearly states "Event will be held Rain or Shine"..

2) Peter Frampton/Black Sabbath  July 26th Lakeland Civic Center.. What a bizarre lineup "Frampton Comes Alive" had not yet been released but Frampton did a lot of the material because other bands on the bill had cancelled. Ozzy was a mess so Frampton stole the show.

3) Steppenwolf Lakeland Civic Center. One of my first big shows and I was blown away by Steppenwolf's drummer

4) Kiss, October 20, 1975  Bayfront Center, St Pete. This one sticks out primarily because of the spectacle it was and that they weren't very good ;)

5 Rush/ Bob Seger December 9, 1977 .. Lakeland Civic Center.. RUSH, opening for Bob Seger.. Poor Bob didn't have a chance. many left halfway thru his set.

Those are 5 memorable early shows for me.. I stayed in the 70s

I'll probably do a couple more sets of 5 as time progressed.

went to many in the best decade the 70's 

went mainly with the crew and got stoned

(smoking indoors was a thing and general admission before the Cincinatti disaster.)

Allman Bros 1st   (seen them twice)

Lynyrd Skynryd with the Outlaws  (again twice)

best experience (and because of gen adm) - was Montrose (opening for Robin Trower- another stoners delight)

and watching Ronnie Montrose play (up close) with such facial expression and Sammie Hagar spit while he sang .. so cool

saw Pink Floyd and Genesis play in the sell out crowded "metrodome" and man they were awesome except for crappy accoustics in there - too boomy

• Like 1

I don't know that I can do any particular order, but here are 5 of my most memorable concerts,  don't ask for dates,  all in 70s likely, maybe 80s

Bruce Springsteen,   Akron Civic Theater   I was in the 6th row.

Alice Cooper,    Akron Rubber Bowl.   Again, we were right up near the front.  A shower of panties rained down on us from an overhead helicopter. (J.Geils Band and Dr. John also played)

The Raspberries.   I attended the very first show they put on as a group, at Cyrus Erie West, North Ridgeville.   Along with WSS and other friends.

Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel.  Like Allen Theater.    A little known group these days, but he had the entire audience singing Tumbling Down, on their own, unprompted at the end of the show.  

KISS backing up  the New York Dolls,  Allen Theater again (or the Ohio or the State)

As you can see,  the most memorable ones were those held where I was either very close to the front of the stage, or which were held in very small venues.

Honorable Mentions: 

A trio of World Series of Rock Concerts at Cleveland Muni Stadium:   Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young,   The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd.  Many others at the Coliseum or  Richfield Coliseum.   Also......60s bands concert at  Blossom:   Herman's Hermits,  The Mindbenders, Gerry and the Pacemakers, and Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, all together.  

Preservation Hall Jazz Band,  Preservation Hall New Orleans. 

I suspect there may be others that I have not thought of. 

Does anyone remember a rock concert or a series of concerts called  The Piper Rock Festival.

The Dad of a friend of ours who graduated HS with us,  (myself and WSS)  was one of the promoters of that event.  I don't know if he made any money from it.   (I did not attend)

image.jpeg.804eac36b0f5d7c749f587ef56f9c385.jpeg

52 minutes ago, FairHooker11 said:

Allman Bros 1st   (seen them twice)

Local friend of mine for 40rs was Gregg Allman's  manager for quite a while. In the beginning back in the 70s he was a beekeeper next to Dicky's property and  had large weekend parties. We could do that back then.. ;) Dickie, Gregg and Cher were attendees when they were in town.

Lynyrd Skynryd with the Outlaws  (again twice) The Outlaws.. Another Tampa based band that was around.. Good guys

best experience (and because of gen adm) - was Montrose (opening for Robin Trower- another stoners delight) Trower and Pat Travers left their mark on me. Saw a Pat Travers/ REO dump Truck show from up close back in the 70s... Then there was Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush!!

and watching Ronnie Montrose play (up close) with such facial expression and Sammie Hagar spit while he sang .. so cool

Saw Sammy/Aerosmith/Boston in the 70s that really should have made me 70s list.. Incredible show

• Like 1

Oddly enough I'm not a huge fan of big concerts even though I've been to a fair number of them. Just a pain in the ass involved  especially the distance involved with anything except front row seats. And I hate having to be seated behind assholes that insist on standing up the entire show. These days if I want to go to a concert I spend the big deal for front row seats.

I have seen the who three times all with Keith Moon. I've seen The Moody Blues a few times and always enjoyed them.. Frank Sinatra had Sammy Davis jr. At the Coliseum was an incredible performance and so was Barry Manilow. He put on a slick professional show pact with a thousand hits. And even though I have now seen him 6 times Alice Cooper's show at the Civic Theater recently which one of the best put together and best sounding concerts I've ever seen. I could easily put the raspberries on that list has to Gipper said we were there at the Cyrus Erie.

Some others I've really enjoyed include Paul McCartney and Wings but again it's hard to see anything in a big place. I loved Asia the Kinks Simon & Garfunkel Southside Johnny always puts on an excellent show the Stones Procol Harum and Springsteen's solo show The Ghost of Tom Joad tour and probably some more that have slipped my mind.

I was disappointed by Meatloaf who has lost his voice I think forever. It broke my heart to see one of the generations Premiere voices in such bad shape. And I was pissed off by the Cleveland Orchestra who left Hall of the Mountain King out of their performance of the Peer Gynt Suite.

WSS

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

Montrose

Loved Ronnie... Connection off of Paper Money is one of my all-time fav covers.

7 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

the Outlaws 

Green Grass and High Tides my good man...

Brought to mind The Marshall Tucker Band and an entire series of free, Thursday nite concerts at Jones Plaza in Houston. "Party on the Plaza" was a near weekly event for several summers back in the 80's/90's. Local band opened around 6 PM and usually played two sets then at 8-ish the headliner would start. Usually wrapped around 9:30.

A lot of once-upon-a-time, big names came thru that venue. (Feels like a new thread...)

7 hours ago, Axe said:

Pat Travers

If there's a better live track than Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights), then I haven't found it. (Feels like another new thread... or at least a variation in this thread :) )

A lot come close, but when I feel the need to shred an air guitar, then it's my go-to...

59 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I hate having to be seated behind assholes that insist on standing up the entire show.

I know it's hard to believe, but I left a few details out of my OP... :)  This was one. I ended up right on the cusp of the border between the standers and the "down-in-front" crowd. Felt like I was doing calisthenics much of the show. I blamed you front row guys since you got so close you had to stand to see the bands. Small price to pay tho...

And nice tag on of a classical "show"... I've a few CSO concerts under my belt as well dating back to Szell plus a memorable, post-9/11 one under Christoph von Dohnányi. I was a Houston Symphony regular for a couple seasons when another Christoph, this time Eschenbach, was its conductor and really developed them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

the Brown Eyed Girl of classical music?

Reminded me that I saw Van at a Party on the Plaza... I'm really struggling to remember all the artists I saw there. The work bunch that went to those usually stopped for Margarettas and a meal on the way downtown... at least that's the excuse I'm going with.

Only a couple of the 20 or so shows I attended have come to mind including: Leon Russell, Mason/Capaldi (who billed themselves as "Half Traffic" or some such thing).

But as to your question... I don't think so. Ludwig was way too serious, too dark for a Morrison comp. He only came up for air a few times, e.g. the 9th's final movement, Ode to Joy, and that was late in his career when he was stone deaf. He never heard it played or the ovations it received. Maybe Black Sabbeth ? ;)

Morrison might be closer to Chopin, but there may be an Irish composer with which I am nor familiar.

Aside: Ever see Gary Oldman's portrayal of Ludwig in Immortal Beloved?

Oh....and FYI guys.

There once was a website that had tour dates for just about every rock act from the 60s on, but it seems to be gone now.

What I did find recently, however, is a site with a lot of dates for a lot of acts with set lists for most. It bills itself as "the setlist wiki".

https://www.setlist.fm/

Edit: This might be the disappeared tour date site, but it's both more polished and less user friendly than what I remember.

https://www.concertarchives.org/

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

And I hate having to be seated behind assholes that insist on standing up the entire show.

WSS

I always turn and apologize to the person behind me when I have to stand

I asked my wife for her input on this question.   She and I have not gone to a lot of concerts together as I was already like 29 when I met her, and most of my concert going days were over.  Besides that,  our musical tastes are a lot different.  She would never deign to go to an Alice Cooper or Kiss concert.    She would have preferred like the string haired folky bitches..There is  one act that we could agree on and on her list this is the only one we went together to see. 

Crosby, Stills, and Nash    Blossom Music Center

But when she was in high school in Racine Wisc.  apparently they would bring in acts to perform  at the local YMCA for dances,  and here are a couple of bands that she saw at what you could basically call  "sock hops""

Buffalo Springfield

The McCoys

Her other two memorable ones were:

Moody Blues,   she saw them in Milwaukee when she was in college.

Jimmy Buffet,  saw him here after she moved here with her sister. 

Just noticed the setlist link failed to make it into my above post.

Sorry 'bout that...

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

What I did find recently, however, is a site with a lot of dates for a lot of acts with set lists for most. It bills itself as "the setlist wiki".

https://www.setlist.fm/

Also thought of another Party on the Plaza player... Ohio native, Rick Derringer.

All American Boy still gets some play in this house.... Teenage Love Affair... The Airport Giveth... and, of course, Rock n Roll, Hoochie Koo. If memory serves, Rick wrote the latter for Johnny Winter, whose band he was in for a while. I saw them in the Pub Aud one winter... for free. :)Johnny Winter And was opening for Mountain, who failed to make it to the gig due to weather, so all attendees received refunds... and got a full set of Johnny.

Pop Quiz: What was Rick's first commercially successful Band and what 60's song of theirs not only charted, but made it to #1? Hint: There's a Columbus, Ohio band that still plays it.

Later on Rick played with Edgar.

And now I want to say Edgar Winter Partied on the Plaza as well.... but not 100% sure of that... dammit.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Just noticed the setlist link failed to make it into my above post.

Sorry 'bout that...

Also thought of another Party on the Plaza player... Ohio native, Rick Derringer.

All American Boy still gets some play in this house.... Teenage Love Affair... The Airport Giveth... and, of course, Rock n Roll, Hoochie Koo. If memory serves, Rick wrote the latter for Johnny Winter, whose band he was in for a while. I saw them in the Pub Aud one winter... for free. :)Johnny Winter And was opening for Mountain, who failed to make it to the gig due to weather, so all attendees received refunds... and got a full set of Johnny.

Pop Quiz: What was Rick's first commercially successful Band and what 60's song of theirs not only charted, but made it to #1? Hint: There's a Columbus, Ohio band that still plays it.

Later on Rick played with Edgar.

And now I want to say Edgar Winter Partied on the Plaza as well.... but not 100% sure of that... dammit.

Uhm, Rick Derringer was a member of the McCoys which I referenced above. 

On 5/17/2020 at 11:12 PM, Axe said:

Saw Sammy/Aerosmith/Boston in the 70's.. Incredible Show!

That ^^^ it was 👍... I've got a photo album that counts 168 shows that I've seen.. to get it to a top 5, I'll have to take a long hard look👀 

Zeppelin was a crazy good show also. So i can see where it hit your #1.. It was a weather perfect night in Greensboro, NC for us..

my blind early list would maybe go?

1) U2 ...... rattle & hum tour (the vocals & band never missed a beat live all night..)

2) Eagles

3) Tom Petty (Tour..check one of Tom's Cali or Fla. shows? not sure you will find it though? I've tried too) 

4) Queen

5) Pink Floyd

just outside the mix? Led//Metallica//KiSS//Bowie//Bruce//Shinedown w/Queensryche Empire tour.. and i saw 2 shows at COBo hall & Toledo... Van Halen was a excellent show..and A real surprise to me was the vocals of Joe Elliott with Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour... it was spot on clean, with killer sound quality at the no longer...Toledo Sports Arena...       

• Thanks 2

Thanks, gum...

For whatever reason just thought about concerts I've seen in medium-small venues... say with seating of 1000 - 4000 like Cleveland's Music Hall (~3k) and one of the old downtown theaters (Allen? Edit.... yes, it was) about the same. I'll spend a little time on those now... smaller, club-size venues later.

The Music Hall is where I saw Bowie, #2 on my main list. Also saw a festival seating show there when a tour originally scheduled for the PubAud was flipped to the Music Hall side of the stage. That show was James Cotton Blues Band - Boz Scaggs - Steve Miller Band, April 24, 1974. I went to see Boz, who I'd really gotten into after he left Miller and went solo. Split happened when Steve wanted to go more psychedelic(?)... Fly Like an Eagle, etc... while Boz wanted to stay true to Blues-Rock... at least until Silk Degrees. Great set by Boz... and he played with Steve as well, but left a few tunes into Steve's set, but not until after he played Livin' in the USA, the quintessential Miller track. James Cotton was an unexpected bonus. My first Alice Cooper experience was also in the Music Hall.

Can only recall one Allen Theater show... Wishbone Ash... Feb. 1, 1974. Won tickets calling into WMMS to a different, earler show, Iggy and the Stooges, but couldn't get to the station to pick up the tix, so I called the station to tell them to put the tix back up for grabs. The woman I talked to said, "No one ever does what you are doing. They simply never show up." She offered me my choice of two later shows. Wishbone's date worked better and one of my college roommates was a fan so... Great show... GREAT sound... good seats. Another group opened... Bruce somebody and some-letter Street Band. I swear I only understood the lyric "Kitty's back in town" in the entire set... but the wall of sound energy was undeniable. Wonder whatever happened to that guy? ;)

Think I found the other concert date website I mentioned earlier... https://concerts.fandom.com/wiki/Concerts_Wiki

Pretty friendly... feels reasonably complete... but best of all, looks to have a lot of concert poster images. Since I started this latest wave of concert reminiscing (there's a story here as well... for another time) I've started "collecting" posters for the walls of my work-in-progress, listening room, a/k/a Mancave.

14 hours ago, gumby73 said:

That ^^^ it was 👍... I've got a photo album that counts 168 shows that I've seen.. to get it to a top 5, I'll have to take a long hard look👀 

Zeppelin was a crazy good show also. So i can see where it hit your #1.. It was a weather perfect night in Greensboro, NC for us..

my blind early list would maybe go?

1) U2 ...... rattle & hum tour (the vocals & band never missed a beat live all night..)

2) Eagles

3) Tom Petty (Tour..check one of Tom's Cali or Fla. shows? not sure you will find it though? I've tried too) 

4) Queen

5) Pink Floyd

just outside the mix? Led//Metallica//KiSS//Bowie//Bruce//Shinedown w/Queensryche Empire tour.. and i saw 2 shows at COBo hall & Toledo... Van Halen was a excellent show..and A real surprise to me was the vocals of Joe Elliott with Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour... it was spot on clean, with killer sound quality at the no longer...Toledo Sports Arena...       

My list was pretty much my 70s top 5 ;) I simply can't do an overall top5.. Can't do it.. Have seen everyone from Elton to Janet to Mariah to Motely fuckin Crue. Gotta do it decade by decade..

Still working on my 80s top 5 😕  But along the lines of old times.. We ran into Rick Derringer today at lunch (Demetrios, Bradenton) and it was good to see him and Jenda out and about again.. The 80s will be tough because I was largely off doing stuff I don't talk about  and was largely out of the loop.. There were memorable shows tho.. :)

• Upvote 2

On 5/18/2020 at 5:45 AM, Westside Steve said:

Oddly enough I'm not a huge fan of big concerts even though I've been to a fair number of them. Just a pain in the ass involved  especially the distance involved with anything except front row seats. And I hate having to be seated behind assholes that insist on standing up the entire show. These days if I want to go to a concert I spend the big deal for front row seats.

I have seen the who three times all with Keith Moon. I've seen The Moody Blues a few times and always enjoyed them.. Frank Sinatra had Sammy Davis jr. At the Coliseum was an incredible performance and so was Barry Manilow. He put on a slick professional show pact with a thousand hits. And even though I have now seen him 6 times Alice Cooper's show at the Civic Theater recently which one of the best put together and best sounding concerts I've ever seen. I could easily put the raspberries on that list has to Gipper said we were there at the Cyrus Erie.

Some others I've really enjoyed include Paul McCartney and Wings but again it's hard to see anything in a big place. I loved Asia the Kinks Simon & Garfunkel Southside Johnny always puts on an excellent show the Stones Procol Harum and Springsteen's solo show The Ghost of Tom Joad tour and probably some more that have slipped my mind.

I was disappointed by Meatloaf who has lost his voice I think forever. It broke my heart to see one of the generations Premiere voices in such bad shape. And I was pissed off by the Cleveland Orchestra who left Hall of the Mountain King out of their performance of the Peer Gynt Suite.

WSS

I did see Meatloaf at Blossom.  Still pretty much in his prime.  Voice still full throttle.  

I think Kid Leo did the part of the Phil Rizzuto narration on Paradise by the Dashboard Light. 

Maybe we should  also list   the 5 worst/most disappointing concerts we have been to.  

I know what #1 on my list is:     Wayne Newton.      Went to see him in 1995 when in Las Vegas.  I mean, in those days that is what you were supposed to do, see Wayne Newton in Las Vegas.    He was horrific.    His voice was terrible.  He was terrible.  Just an awful performance. He would make wholly offensive racial comments.  Nothing he said was funny.   None of the songs were any good.    My wife and I left.   We did not even stick around to see him perform the one song that may have been OK:  Dunke  schoen.  WE could not stand him. 

I suppose there have been a few other disappointments, but none that stand out on my mind as much as that one. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe we should  also list   the 5 worst/most disappointing concerts we have been to.  

I know what #1 on my list is:     Wayne Newton.      Went to see him in 1995 when in Las Vegas.  I mean, in those days that is what you were supposed to do, see Wayne Newton in Las Vegas.    He was horrific.    His voice was terrible.  He was terrible.  Just an awful performance. He would make wholly offensive racial comments.  Nothing he said was funny.   None of the songs were any good.    My wife and I left.   We did not even stick around to see him perform the one song that may have been OK:  Dunke  schoen.  WE could not stand him. 

I suppose there have been a few other disappointments, but none that stand out on my mind as much as that one. 

Frankly that's the first time I've heard a negative review of a Wayne Newton show. I haven't seen it so I can't agree or disagree with your opinion, it's just not very specific. But something like none of the songs were any good just means they weren't songs that you particularly cared for I guess.

WSS

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Frankly that's the first time I've heard a negative review of a Wayne Newton show. I haven't seen it so I can't agree or disagree with your opinion, it's just not very specific. But something like none of the songs were any good just means they weren't songs that you particularly cared for I guess.

WSS

It had nothing whatsoever to do with the song choices.  It was his inability to execute them, and his between song mannerisms and commentary. You know me, I think I have maybe walked out of one movie ever in my life.  We walked out of there. I just had no desire to continue to listen to him. 

44 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It had nothing whatsoever to do with the song choices.  It was his inability to execute them, and his between song mannerisms and commentary. You know me, I think I have maybe walked out of one movie ever in my life.  We walked out of there. I just had no desire to continue to listen to him. 

Just going by what you said that none of the songs were any good. Have any examples of that offensively racist batter? Michael Richards? Richard Pryor?

WSS

4 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Just going by what you said that none of the songs were any good. Have any examples of that offensively racist batter? Michael Richards? Richard Pryor?

WSS

Well, when I said the songs were not good, I meant his rendition was not good.   Recall what you said about how Meat Loaf's voice went south....that is basically the case here.  He just could not sing.   As for the offensive part,  I don't recall specifics (It was 1995)  despite being partially Native American himself (don't recall what tribe),  or maybe because he is part NA,  he was, to my mind then, making wholly insulting remarks about his heritage.  It was like "Dude, WTF are you talking about?  Just shut up." Maybe he thought it was funny.  It wasn't. 

On 5/19/2020 at 6:48 AM, gumby73 said:

I've got a photo album that counts 168 shows that I've seen.

Jealous of the foresight... and maybe the tally as well.

22 hours ago, Axe said:

Have seen everyone from Elton to Janet to Mariah to Motely fuckin Crue.

Miss Jackson if you're nasty...

Gotta love the width and breadth...

Take as many decades as you like. I'm sure I'll add a couple to my Top 5... if and when I remember more. ;)

Neil Young with suicidal tendencies and Sonic Youth

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club with the Black Angels

Plant and Page if was fucking awesome when they came out of Night Flight into Break on Through to the otherside

Claypool Lennon Delirium ,Lennon talking about if your fingers could smell like a octopuses

Monster Magnet

I’ve seen about 300 or so concerts. Might be more, might be less.

Metallica April 9th 1986. Before Cliff died

All others don’t compare. 
And I’ve seen them all

• Like 1