THE BROWNS BOARD

PFF's 2010s All Decade Team... Joe clocked in at #11

Tour2ma

Seems low, but there are 10 pretty good ones above him...

Top Ten:

1. TB12
  2. Aaron Donald
  3. Drew Brees
  4. Richard Sherman
  5. Gronk
  6. Aaron Rodgers
  7. Von Miller
  8. Julio Jones
  9. JJ Watt
  10. Luke Kuechly
  11. Joe....

Obviously Joe was the top OL. Next ones did not show until OG, Evan Mathis at #14. Next OTs were Jason Peters at #19 and Andrew Whitworth at #21.

First RB did not show up until Marshawn Lynch at #29.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-all-decade-top-101-best-nfl-players-2010s

One reason that Cleveland has not been very good in decades only one of 101 players on that list.

Just sayin'.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

One reason that Cleveland has not been very good in decades only one of 101 players on that list.

Read a lil deeper... OBJ is in the 90s... :)

Albeit not for his play as a Brown... yet.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Top Ten:

1. TB12
  2. Aaron Donald
  3. Drew Brees
  4. Richard Sherman
  5. Gronk
  6. Aaron Rodgers
  7. Von Miller
  8. Julio Jones
  9. JJ Watt
  10. Luke Kuechly
  11. Joe....

Obviously Joe was the top OL. Next ones did not show until OG, Evan Mathis at #14. Next OTs were Jason Peters at #19 and Andrew Whitworth at #21.

Too low for Lynch. And Peyton Manning was so tremendously good the first half of the decade, I'd have him much higher too.

Didn't he throw for 55 TDs one year? He was out of his damn mind.

Z

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Top Ten:

1. TB12
  2. Aaron Donald
  3. Drew Brees
  4. Richard Sherman
  5. Gronk
  6. Aaron Rodgers
  7. Von Miller
  8. Julio Jones
  9. JJ Watt
  10. Luke Kuechly
  11. Joe....

I would have put Adrian Peterson as the Top RB on the list,   and, I don't know, maybe  Larry Fitzgerald ahead of Jones.  Close call there. 

I did not see in the article where they utilized any particular statistical measurement.  If they used them, they didn't show what stats they used or how they interpreted them.   It just seemed like an opinion.  Which is fine, but I thought PFF was all about statistics.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Zombo said:

Too low for Lynch. And Peyton Manning was so tremendously good the first half of the decade, I'd have him much higher too.

Didn't he throw for 55 TDs one year? He was out of his damn mind.

Yup... 2013 for Denver, but hard to weight a player who only played half the decade.

16 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Not feeling Sherm being quite that high.

Maybe not, but can't think of a more dominant CB in the decade... and maybe the first, great, big CB since Night Train?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SherRi00.htm

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

and maybe the first, great, big CB since Night Train?

My guy Nnamdi would like a word with you about that.  Despite him being a press- man cover corner that routinely took on the oppostions #1 WR AND played on a team with marginal talent around him.

Sherm cannot claim either of those things.

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

My guy Nnamdi would like a word with you about that.  Despite him being a press- man cover corner that routinely took on the oppostions #1 WR AND played on a team with marginal talent around him.

Don't remember him... sorry to say. But feel free to give him my number.

Stats don't match up well with Sherm... did teams just not throw to his way?

I do remember Sherm matching up with #1's tho.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Stats don't match up well with Sherm... did teams just not throw to his way?

"In his five years with the Raiders that PFF has graded, Asomugha averaged just 19.8 catches surrendered per season, a little more than one per game, and just 257 yards per year."  

Honestly, I think he was the best corner in the league for a few years running.  Especially (easily) when Champ Bailey started to decline.  2006-2010ish.  

20 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

And this should be known to PFF -- Sherm has from basically year 1 fallen to double-moves to the boundary.. 

36 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

And this should be known to PFF -- Sherm has from basically year 1 fallen to double-moves to the boundary.. 

Let me make my stance clear on this, especially since I brought up Nnamdi.

Sherm is a damn good DB.  Physical, smart, he can deny the home run shot like few others can.   

As far as the 2010's are concerned though?  I would take Revis, Peterson, Chris Harris and probably Gilmore over him if I'm drafting a defense to my liking.  Point being, I want a DB to step in, play their island and scratch that receiver off the list of my headaches if I'm a coordinator.    Take Revis and Crow for example when they were with the Jets.  The rest of the secondary was pretty patchwork.  But because you had 2 corners that you could rely on to erase the perimeter, they could get away with the rest of that squad being average.

When Sherm was at his prime, he had a quality corner in Browner across from him, 2 HOF caliber safeties and one of the most complete front 7's arguably in NFL history.    Tour may have pointed out that RS got the offenses #1 receiver on occasion, but that was early on before teams started seeing the Seahawks defensive tendencies in where they would align and how they would pattern match in their cover 3. 

Bottom line, would I draft Sherman to be my #1 man coverage eraser? No, because I don't think (on top of some history here to show it) that he is a MEG corner.    He works extremely well within a system tailored to his particular strengths.  Take him out of that system? Not so much.     And he has always struggled with speed throughout his NFL career.