THE BROWNS BOARD

The Handy-dandy 2020 Browns Draft Picks Revisited Thread

calfoxwc

Where to begin?

Let's start with the last draft pick - Peoples-Jones. WR.

What could be - special teams ace - very smart bit? player

when you least expect it.

Or, maybe more than that. Some NFL coaching might boost his stock.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/13/donovan-peoples-jones-scouting-report-wolverines-wires-isaiah-hole/

• Upvote 1

Then there is the fifth round pick - Nick Harris, Center. Loves the game, very agile and quick.

Needs some NFL coaching, needs time to build up more strength for the NFL.

Back up center eventually? starter? maybe. Apparently, has all the traits, except strength,

that is takes to get there. Not bad a gamble in the fifth round.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Report-Browns-Remain-in-Contact-With-Jason-Peters-147078812/

4th round pick= Harrison Bryant. Not a star-studded cast of te's in this draft.

But one draft "expert" has Harrison #1, going to the Colts in the third round.

he needs to get stronger - but I see more upside, and he has time, the smarts, the work ethic and

a love for the game. 4th round pick, it's pretty interesting - I expect to hear his name called here and there

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Report-Browns-Remain-in-Contact-With-Jason-Peters-147078812/

and here is a very cool explanation of how Harrison's versatility can fit into driving defenses crazy.

you can do that with...smart football players. 4th round pick? hell yeah.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/05/rookie-te-harrison-bryant-brings-versatility-needed-to-fit-into-browns-crowded-offense-film-review.html

Next is Jacob Phillips, LB. second pick, third round. Some "experts" think it was the reach for the Browns.

I watch him play - and I wouldn't underestimate him. He is freaking smart and instinctive, tough as nails, and loves the game.

A lot of folks may be surprised at how good Phillips could be. Solid character, leadership

9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Next is Jacob Phillips, LB. second pick, third round. Some "experts" think it was the reach for the Browns.

I watch him play - and I wouldn't underestimate him. He is freaking smart and instinctive, tough as nails, and loves the game.

A lot of folks may be surprised at how good Phillips could be. Solid character, leadership

I like that pick just as much as I liked getting Bama's LB in the 5th last year. Speed kills when it comes to D. And coordinated speed decimates in swarm tackling!

18 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I like that pick just as much as I liked getting Bama's LB in the 5th last year. Speed kills when it comes to D. And coordinated speed decimates in swarm tackling!

Well....let's hope so.  Of course, we thought we were getting that kind of thing when we got Barkevious Mingo....but, not so much.  Of course you cannot assess the failings of one player onto another just because they went to the same school....but,  still, it can cause skepticism to sneak into one's brain. 

Then there is Jordan Elliot. I never looked at defensive tackles - but this guy is impressive for a third rounder. He'll benefit hugely with NFL coaching - and a little more strength/agility training.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/cleveland-browns-comprehensive-nfl-draft-review-jordan-elliott-missouri

Fit, Usage and Projection with the Browns

The Browns are going to have Jordan Elliott play the three-tech, creating a Missouri Tiger tandem with Sheldon Richardson. Elliott is there to earn reps and create a spot in a rotation to be able to give Richardson a break and keep the quality of the defensive line at a high level. The challenge for Elliott is simply due to the amount of reps Richardson typically plays, around 70 percent over the course of a season.

Elliott has the ability to bolster the pass rush as well as giving them another player that can contribute against the run. Depending on which one he does better in the NFL early on may impact his role with the team in an effort to maximize Richardson's impact.

Elliott projects to have a top end of being a good long term starter in the NFL. He might end up good enough to flirt with the Pro Bowl, but he's more than capable of being a good NFL player.

jordan-elliott-production.png?w=930&q=30

this is back in April, ...pretty impressive pick for a third rounder DL.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/24/instant-analysis-browns-draft-jordan-elliott-scouting-report/

Instant Analysis: What the Browns are getting in Jordan Elliott

"Cleveland third-round pick, Elliott has a perfect opportunity to contribute as a rotational defensive lineman next season while also learning from an experienced group. By the time 2021 hits, there is a very good chance Elliott is the Browns’ No. 1 guy on the defensive interior.

Last year for the Tigers, Elliott became a staple of the defense as a team captain. He collected 44 tackles and led the team with 10 tackles for loss while matching three sacks. He also swatted down three passes, causing more than just physical disruption from the inside."

"...Elliott played both one- and three-technique last season for Missouri, making him a valuable asset for the Browns. His gap presence and explosiveness is what made him attractive in the third round to Cleveland.

At the combine, Elliott ran a 5.02 40-yard dash at 302 pounds. Pro Football Focus had Elliott rated as their third-best defensive tackle, behind first-round picks Derrick Brown and Javon Kinlaw. He also is their 23rd overall player.

As a rookie, Elliott will have the opportunity to be eased in the mix but he could see his playing time exponentially increase as he adjusts to the NFL. Overall, the Browns notched a great depth piece that can turn into a very good NFL starter in his career."

On 5/15/2020 at 1:23 AM, calfoxwc said:

This is a nice article on Phillips - he bought his Mom a car, etc...

here is what Phillips says about coming to the Browns:

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/LSU-Tigers-Jacob-Phillips-buys-mom-car-on-Mothers-Day-147024960/

"It feels great," Phillips said after being drafted. "Having the LSU connection in the NFL is something that most people probably do not have. Especially since the LSU, the group of guys there are so close, I know that those are the dudes there that will be able to take me under their wing and show me the ropes.

"That is my brother. I love playing with him (Delpit). We made so many memories at LSU, all the years that we played together for two years. I am happy to take that next step and playing with him. I know we pushed each other at LSU so I know we are going to push each other in the league."

and Stefanski says this about Phillips:

"We really liked the length, the speed, the ability to play in the system -- those linebackers have to run," Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said. "You see him running in that system they play down there at LSU. You see him running down the sideline going to make great tackles. Just a high-effort, high-motor guy. He just turned 21 earlier this month. So another young player we feel like we can develop."

then there is Grant Delpit. Listen to him being interviewed - he loves the game, is coachable obviously, and has a sense of honor about him, serious competitor - very, very skilled - might end up being the best safety out of the entire draft.

• Upvote 1

seems to me, every single draft pick is going to be big on football, big on character on and off the field, they are going to be great additions to the locker room, they want to win, and be the very best they can be - it's a far finer and meaningful set of criteria they had to match up with, to be drafted by Stefanski and company. This is a really interesting interview with Delpit - it shows a lot of great things about him -

• 3 weeks later...

then there is Jedrick Wills Jr. New article, pretty inspiring - I believe Wills will start at LT now.

And that is huger than huge.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-breakdowns-what-jedrick-wills-jr-brings-to-the-table

"With Bill Callahan, Cleveland has the perfect offensive line coach for the switch — Callahan has assisted several linemen in position changes, including seven-time Pro Bowler Tyron Smith, who switched from right to left tackle under Callahan in 2012. "

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

back to Nick Harris - article dated today - this draft really brought some serious football playing talent to the Browns:

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-breakdowns-what-nick-harris-brings-to-the-table-at-center