THE BROWNS BOARD

What do you prefer, shortened season, or extened ?

BrownsfaninPa

If the season is not able to start as scheduled, what would you prefer, a full schedule to play and just have it extended into Feb, or will you want the season to start on whatever week is scheduled and finish the season as planned? I would accept either way, but if the first few games are missed, how do the teams declare division winners if teams miss divisional games? Because some teams may play a divisional game 2 weeks in a row.

6 minutes ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

If the season is not able to start as scheduled, what would you prefer, a full schedule to play and just have it extended into Feb, or will you want the season to start on whatever week is scheduled and finish the season as planned? I would accept either way, but if the first few games are missed, how do the teams declare division winners if teams miss divisional games? Because some teams may play a divisional game 2 weeks in a row.

I think that was a key to what the NFL would want to do:  extend, not truncate.    It had been rumored that they were going to fill the first 4 weeks of the schedule with all interconference games, so that if they had to cut the season short, they would just drop the perceived most "meaningless"  games....the interconference games.   So, when they didn't do that....when they scheduled like the Browns against the Ravens and Bengals the first two weeks,  it signaled to me that they would either just go ahead and play those games without fans.....or they would put the first games of the season, where there ARE a lot of divisional games, to the end of the season,  and extend it that way.

28 minutes ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

Pretty much willing to take whatever I can get at this point as I see the chances of "no season" growing.  That said to start an NFL season coincidental with the start of the Covid's anticipated  2nd season is nonsensical.

Riddle me this... What do you do with a team that has a half-dozen players test positive calling for the quarantine of the entire team?

More and more I see one shot...

• Start the regular season early... in August when the preseason would normally start.
  • Keep it short... Divisional round robin... six games and done in six weeks.
  • Divisional winners go to single elimination playoffs... three more weeks and done.

If NCAA doesn't play then three, nationally broadcast Saturday games would provide added income to the usual TNF, Sunday, SNF and MNF. NFLPA would likely have to agree to salary proration.

If... IF... the league should make it thru the above clean... with no incidence of Covid... then they could reload and go again, but I doubt they make it thru a second time.

One added thought applicable to any 2020 season... all on-field and locker room personnel are going to have to be masked.

They are playing baseball games in Korea right now.  No fans.   For whatever that's worth.

And baseball is talking about starting up in July-ish.  The only thing they apparently are trying to figure out (as is usual with them)  is the money.

So,  another prediction is that they do start on time.......likely with no fans,  and then they wait and see what the virus situation is like  (as someone said: wait and see if there is  a second wave)  and then decide whether or not to invite fans. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

One added thought applicable to any 2020 season... all on-field and locker room personnel are going to have to be masked.

image.thumb.png.302e033206d62accddc02036a9b99f58.pngimage.thumb.png.1d4abd09c767508b0fadececddc25ac7.png

Available in the Browns shop... remember to use "The Browns Store" link on the Forum's Home page when you order any Browns' gear.

http://thebrownsboard.com/forum/18-the-browns-store/

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Already bought a set.  But they say they will take forever to deliver.  (not until late June).

The Nick Chubb jersey I ordered two weeks ago is supposed to come "by mid OCTOBER"... 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Nick Chubb jersey I ordered two weeks ago is supposed to come "by mid OCTOBER"... 

I bought a L.P from Italy before this all started wonder if i will ever see it ?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

The NHL, NBA, MLB and of course the NFL are going to try to do whatever it takes to get some kind of season in even if part are with no fans just TV.  Of course I'll watch the NFL and MLB.

The NCAA on the other hand might be in big trouble, they are in the "no students means no student athletes" situation.  Stay tuned for more details.

I understand the premise behind the OP question, but if all teams play the same amount of games then it isn't much different than previous. The Browns could have won all 6 division games and still not went to playoffs. 

I'll take an extended season. With that said the cold wind around the lake in February and March and sometimes April is no joke. I still have no idea why does idiots they didn't build a retractable dome. They could have hosted many outdoor concerts and even the Indians when it's still cold as fuck and made the money back several times over. Dummies

18 minutes ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

I'll take an extended season. With that said the cold wind around the lake in February and March and sometimes April is no joke. I still have no idea why does idiots they didn't build a retractable dome. They could have hosted many outdoor concerts and even the Indians when it's still cold as fuck and made the money back several times over. Dummies

Well...the "why" is pretty simple:   Money. 

And honestly, it wouldn't have had to be a retractable dome.  Look at Lucas Field in Indy.   That place looks like a big Bourbon Warehouse.  It is retractable, but has anyone ever seen it with the roof open?    I don't think the new dome in Minnesota is retractable either, is it?  And what about Ford Field in Detroit?  Not sure.   I wonder if it is really a lot more money to build a retractable dome than not. 

(also...no, the Indians would not ever be playing in a dome I don't think.)

Currently there are Six Retractable-Roof-Ballparks in Major League Baseball;
  • Chase Field- Built 1998.....Diamondbacks.
  • Rogers Centre- Built 1989.....I still call it the SkyDome.   Blue Jays
  • SafeCo Field- Built 1999.....Mariners
  • Minute Maid Park- Built 2000.....Astros
  • Miller Park- Built 2001......Brewers
  • Marlins Stadium- Built 2012.

Also, supposedly the following NFL stadiums have retractable roofs:

Lucas Oil   Indy

State Farm.....Arizona

NRG....Houston

Mercedes Benz...Atlanta

ATT   Dallas

But, for the life of me, I never recall seeing these stadiums with the roofs open during NFL games.....have any of you? 

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And honestly, it wouldn't have had to be a retractable dome.  Look at Lucas Field in Indy.   That place looks like a big Bourbon Warehouse.  It is retractable, but has anyone ever seen it with the roof open?    I don't think the new dome in Minnesota is retractable either, is it?  And what about Ford Field in Detroit?  Not sure.   I wonder if it is really a lot more money to build a retractable dome than not. 

26 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And honestly, it wouldn't have had to be a retractable dome.  Look at Lucas Field in Indy.   That place looks like a big Bourbon Warehouse.   But it works apparently, and is not retractable.   I don't think the new dome in Minnesota is retractable either, is it?  And what about Ford Field in Detroit?  Not sure.   I wonder if it is really a lot more money to build a retractable dome than not. 

I knew the why. But even as a kid in middle school that hadn't taken econ yet I knew they made a HUGE mistake and money could have been made many of times over. Just to clarify instead of cancelling or rescheduling an Indian game in March due to heavy snow or it being freezing cold the Browns could "lend" the Indians the stadium till the weather warms up for a small cost though. It maddening that the city has this huge venue that it gets used 10-12 times on most calendars years because we never make it to the playoffs and our shitty weather. Seems like a colossal waste of space and resources. If I remember right (correct me if I'm wrong) would have been an additional 200 millions dollar. Think of how many events like a music concerts and tours they missed. The possibility of hosting a Superbowl or gay ass Wrestlemania,  etc because the stadium lack a dome. Also I think I've seen several Dallas games where the roof was open.

19 minutes ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

I knew the why. But even as a kid in middle school that hadn't taken econ yet I knew they made a HUGE mistake and money could have been made many of times over. Just to clarify instead of cancelling or rescheduling an Indian game in March due to heavy snow or it being freezing cold the Browns could "lend" the Indians the stadium till the weather warms up for a small cost though. It maddening that the city has this huge venue that it gets used 10-12 times on most calendars years because we never make it to the playoffs and our shitty weather. Seems like a colossal waste of space and resources. If I remember right (correct me if I'm wrong) would have been an additional 200 millions dollar. Think of how many events like a music concerts and tours they missed. The possibility of hosting a Superbowl or gay ass Wrestlemania,  etc because the stadium lack a dome. Also I think I've seen several Dallas games where the roof was open.

Well,   I do know that a month of so ago we had a conversation on here about the potential for a new stadium that would be retractable, and would do all the things you suggest.   We talked about the wave of the future being huge stadium/real estate developments that are being privately financed.  Which is what they are doing it in LA.   They did it that way with the Cowboys stadium,   the Jets/Giants Stadium.   The redevelopment of the Pats stadium was done that way.  You surround your stadium with  hotels, offices, shopping etc. etc.  They are planning something similar in Jacksonville. 

Here is some discussion on the stadium financing subject in Cleveland:

https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2013/12/sports_economists_weigh_in_on.html

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well,   I do know that a month of so ago we had a conversation on here about the potential for a new stadium that would be retractable, and would do all the things you suggest.   We talked about the wave of the future being huge stadium/real estate developments that are being privately financed.  Which is what they are doing it in LA.   They did it that way with the Cowboys stadium,   the Jets/Giants Stadium.   The redevelopment of the Pats stadium was done that way.  You surround your stadium with  hotels, offices, shopping etc. etc.  They are planning something similar in Jacksonville. 

Here is some discussion on the stadium financing subject in Cleveland:

https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2013/12/sports_economists_weigh_in_on.html

We also talked about how half the teams don't do this and stay in their downtowns, but whatever. 😀

41 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

We also talked about how half the teams don't do this and stay in their downtowns, but whatever. 😀

Well, yea.  I mean the whole "blackmail the city/county you play in to get them to pay for your place of business"  is still an entrenched modus operandi  of the NFL to get their stadiums.      I think it is a two fold process to get these owners out of that standard operating procedure:   A.  Owners have to be willing to be entrepreneurs in real estate development beyond just being team owners.   B. they have to be shown that it is the privately financed stadium complexes that actually have a vastly more profitable return for these owners. 

Now, I don't know what the numbers are for that last factor:  have the Krafts/Jones/Kroenke's/Johnsons/Maras etc. really made money with their projects and complexes well beyond just the revenues and profits they get from their football team?  (I left Spanos out...they are just going to be tenants).  I do know that the likes of Kraft/Jones/Mara  are among the most influential owners in the league.

In doing some checking on various websites....yes,  it does seem that those are the most prominent names of influential NFL owners:   Jones/Kraft/Mara.  The big big money guys.   Dan Rooney used to be, for reasons beyond money,   but if his heir wields any influence, it is only through his legacy.  Same for the heirs of  Lamar Hunt.

Some thought that  Jimmy Haslam could reach a degree of prominent influence.....but FYI....actual on field success of your team DOES count!  And all his losing has held him back.  That and the allegations of corruption against Pilot.   Now that it seems that particular episode is behind him.....plus now that he has an influx of cash due to his sale of Pilot to Warren Buffet....and IF the team could start winning, he  could gain in stature.   The death of Paul Allen left somewhat of a power vacuum in some quarters of the NFL. 

Here is a blurb from an SI article about how NFL owners gain influence:

Growing your influence in the NFL begins at the same place as in most industries—relationship-building. That starts with the senior staff at the NFL office and peers in franchise ownership, and it needs to grow into an ability to lobby others and access information that many can’t. Ancillary relationships matter too, especially those with bankers and sponsors and power brokers in broadcasting. You do that, and you become important to managing the league’s assets—New England’s Robert Kraft’s relationships in the television world, with people like CBS’s Les Moonves have been vital—which makes you essential to others.

The second piece is winning the respect of the room. One way to do that is through on-field success, and another is to show business acumen in turning a football also-ran into financial powerhouse—Washington’s Dan Snyder was there, until a few years ago.

The third step is becoming active in the room, which means finding your way on to committees, and then rising within them. The competition committee is considered the most prestigious, because of its mixed company and the smaller size. The CEC, which handles labor negotiations, holds similar prestige and probably leapfrogs the competition committee at CBA negotiation time when it comes to importance. The finance committee, covering a bread-and-butter area for many owners, is third.

At one time in the 60s and 70s, maybe into the 80s, Art Modell was one of the influential owners, because of those TV relationships he could build.   The other was to have your franchise be a financial powerhouse.   Modell lost every bit of influence he had there because he turned a potential financial powerhouse franchise into a financial liability......and I am talking about the Ravens there even more than the Browns.   When you are Victor Kiamed out of the league due to your financial ineptitude....you carry  -0- influence.   Jimmy does not have that kind of money problems...but his on field success has to grow for him to gain influence. 

9 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Was it the Mojomatics? 

Jennifer Gentle they are a psych band  They got their name from a lyric of a  old Pink Floyd song called Lucifer Sam "jennifer gentle your the witch"

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ATOM said:

Jennifer Gentle they are a psych band  They got their name from a lyric of a  old Pink Floyd song called Lucifer Sam "jennifer gentle your the witch"

Damn... that's Syd Barrett old.

Always wondered if PF would have ever become as big under Syd as they did under Waters.

22 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Damn... that's Syd Barrett old.

Always wondered if PF would have ever become as big under Syd as they did under Waters.

I think they would have been good but no where near what Waters and Gilmour took  them to

4 hours ago, ATOM said:

I think they would have been good but no where near what Waters and Gilmour took  them to

Tend to agree, but since Waters was the driving creative force in PF's 2nd addition it could have boiled down to how much room Syd allowed for Roger to grow.

Not trying to minimize Gilmour's contributions... he added a great deal of the guitar work that made many of their tracks... but fact is that track after PF track is Waters or at Gilmour/Waters credited. Plus I followed Waters' solo career more closely starting with The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, which I think is a strong LP.

But that's me...

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Tend to agree, but since Waters was the driving creative force in PF's 2nd addition it could have boiled down to how much room Syd allowed for Roger to grow.

Not trying to minimize Gilmour's contributions... he added a great deal of the guitar work that made many of their tracks... but fact is that track after PF track is Waters or at Gilmour/Waters credited. Plus I followed Waters' solo career more closely starting with The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, which I think is a strong LP.

But that's me...

i was at this show in Washington it was to windy for his back drop (it was supposed to be SYD ) so Roger calls the airport and has a 747 do a fly over

On 5/13/2020 at 7:41 PM, mjp28 said:

The NCAA on the other hand might be in big trouble, they are in the "no students means no student athletes" situation.  Stay tuned for more details

This is interesting to me as a lot of college athletes take a majority of their classes online anyway.  I don't understand how grade school middle school and high school can figure out how to do classes online (which is something more than 90% of them never offered before) but colleges (who all offer some sort of online classes) can't figure that out. 

5 hours ago, ATOM said:

Amused to Death 

WHAT GOD WANTS really dig on Jeff Becks guitar 

there used to be a forum on sony for Waters fans it was insane

Ever drop in on the Steve Hoffman Forums? Place is a mosh pit of music junkies. Very hard to keep up any kind of conversation when a hundred posts hit every fricking thread daily and page one of the index turns over a couple times a day.

There was one running gag tho that was fun until Mods killed it. Every couple days someone would post a Battle of the Bands thread... and Bread was always one of the bands. There were a few Bread diehards there.

Hell... I owned a couple Bread albums when I was young (one was their S/T and the other was named Manna IIRC... still have them somewhere in a box), but they didn't get played once I found Jimi... and Zep.. and album rock in general.

First "discovered" Jeff Beck in his one-off, BB&A stint. Then followed him thru Blow By Blow and Wired... both very good efforts. Thereafter not so much... but in the 90's I grabbed a 3 disc compilation release called Beckology. It filled in a lot of gaps.

On 5/16/2020 at 5:48 PM, Tour2ma said:

Ever drop in on the Steve Hoffman Forums? Place is a mosh pit of music junkies. Very hard to keep up any kind of conversation when a hundred posts hit every fricking thread daily and page one of the index turns over a couple times a day.

There was one running gag tho that was fun until Mods killed it. Every couple days someone would post a Battle of the Bands thread... and Bread was always one of the bands. There were a few Bread diehards there.

Hell... I owned a couple Bread albums when I was young (one was their S/T and the other was named Manna IIRC... still have them somewhere in a box), but they didn't get played once I found Jimi... and Zep.. and album rock in general.

First "discovered" Jeff Beck in his one-off, BB&A stint. Then followed him thru Blow By Blow and Wired... both very good efforts. Thereafter not so much... but in the 90's I grabbed a 3 disc compilation release called Beckology. It filled in a lot of gaps.

Becks daughter is fucking hot she sometimes plays bass in his band 

are the Steve Hoffman forums still around ? sounds like the Pearl Jam forum (which was also on the sony bbs) unless your fingers went a 100 miles per hour impossible to keep up

but they would stop by Rogers forum bitching WHY did Roger have 4 different forums,it was funny

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/

Steve passed a couple years ago, but the Forums live on...

It was always a treat when Steve engaged and discussed his projects. He did a lot of remastering in his later years.