THE BROWNS BOARD

Mt. Rushmore of Quarterbacks

The Gipper

My metric Championships (Clutch factor) and how are you compared to your contemporaries.

1. Brady.  Wins Championships (5) and doesn’t turn the ball over That often and the best QB in his time in one of the more competitive time periods 

2. Montana. Wins Championships (4) no defeats doesn’t turn the ball over that often best of his time.

3. Graham.  8 championships and best of his time.  He’s a Cleveland Brown too.

4. Unitas.  Champion and best of his time followed Graham.

This is hard,  but here they are:

Mt. Rushmore:     Otto Graham,  Tom Brady,  Joe Montana,  John Unitas

Crazy Horse:   Peyton Manning,  Roger Staubach,  Sid Luckman,  Bart Starr

Foothills:  Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Fran Tarkenton

Stone Mountain:   These are guys that are enemies.....that you have to hate and admire at the same time,  like the Robert E. Lee's or Stonewall Jacksons;      John Elway,  Terry Bradshaw,  Ben Roethlisberger,  Bobby Layne

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Stone Mountain:   These are guys that are enemies.....that you have to hate and admire at the same time,  like the Robert E. Lee's or Stonewall Jacksons;      John Elway,  Terry Bradshaw,  Ben Roethlisberger,  Bobby Layne

Wow Our lists are the same.

what about Aaron Rodgers?  I’d have to say foothills.

I'll pass- the won/lost criteria doesn't work with me on qb's. Archie Manning was a truly great qb. Never had a chance.

I'll go with the smartest and most instinctive qb's, scrawny Johnny Unitas, Otto Graham, Bernie Kosar, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino...Archie Manning.....

Phil Robertson..... 😎

Just now, SdBacker80 said:

Wow Our lists are the same.

what about Aaron Rodgers?  I’d have to say foothills.

I thought about him,  but  I was limiting each category to  just 4.    As great a talent as anyone.  Only brought home the bacon the one time.  Maybe by the time his career ends? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

I'll pass- the won/lost criteria doesn't work with me on qb's. Archie Manning was a truly great qb. Never had a chance.

I'll go with the smartest and most instinctive qb's, scrawny Johnny Unitas, Otto Graham, Bernie Kosar, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino...

Phil Robertson..... 😎

Who is Phil Robertson? Do you mean Phil Rivers?

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Who is Phil Robertson? Do you mean Phil Rivers?

nope. Phil Robertson. He was one of the greatest. Terry Bradshaw admits it.

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Why do you have to hate Lee or Jackson?

😎

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Why not just name like Burt Reynolds.  Or other fictional QBs.  Or any other ZZTop wannabe. 

Like Steamin' Willie Beamen? Or Lance Harbor? Or how about Bo Callahn? Ronnie Bass? Or one of the 2 Buckeye QBs (coincidentally played by the same man, Keanu Reeves): Johnny Utah and Shane Falco. Tough to choose.

But I say Brady, Graham, Montana, and Manning. 4th is hard, but one reason that Peyton didnt win more SBs is because of Brady

Tom Brady  -  Dan Marino  -  John Elway  -  Joe Montana

Honorable mention:  Peyton Manning,  Roger Staubach,  Bart Starr,  Otto Graham,  Johnny Unitas,  Archie Manning (he was really good, and unlucky),  Steve Young

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Why not just name like Burt Reynolds.  Or other fictional QBs.  Or any other ZZTop wannabe. 

you're saying Bradshaw is a fictional QB? AND a liar?

didn't watch the video, again, right?

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Traitors to the United States of America, silly goose. 

36 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Enemies of the United States 

What are you guys talking about. Lee & his wife (who inherited it) donated their property to the U.S. to start up Arlington National Cemetery (and some forts to defend Wash. DC). It became permanent in 1864, but in their honor remained segregated until after WW II.😜

3 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Like Steamin' Willie Beamen? Or Lance Harbor? Or how about Bo Callahn? Ronnie Bass? Or one of the 2 Buckeye QBs (coincidentally played by the same man, Keanu Reeves): Johnny Utah and Shane Falco. Tough to choose.

There you go.

But I say Brady, Graham, Montana, and Manning. 4th is hard, but one reason that Peyton didnt win more SBs is because of Brady

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

you're saying Bradshaw is a fictional QB? AND a liar?

I am saying that Phil Robertson is a fictional  NFL QB.....unless you can reference to us his NFL statistics that show him to be up there with the likes of the names that have been mentioned here. Did the dude ever have even as much as a cup of coffee in the pros?

didn't watch the video, again, right?

No, what would be the point of that to this subject matter?  They may be old friends shooting the bull...but that does not make the guy an NFL Top 4 all time QB. 

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Did Otto Graham even throw the ball?

*runs away from the door to meet up with buddies on the other side of the street*

Your ignorance makes another appearance.  This shows how little you know about the development of football.   I am sure you are not aware that the Browns ran what would later come to be called the West Coast Offense....just without the name.  Basically,  OG ran Paul Brown's offense the way Montana ran Bill Walsh's offense.  Walsh learned all the principals of that offense from Paul Brown and adopted/adapted it to when he was with the 49ers. ....having spent 8 years as an assistant coach under PB. 

I am sure you are also not aware that  2 of OGs  WRs are in the Hall of Fame.  Lavelli and Speedie.   Do you think that a team that gets 2 WRs in the HOF  does that by not throwing the ball.  

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

What are you guys talking about.

You do know that Lee and Jackson led enemy troops in war against the United States of America.  Your education in history is not so deficient as to not know that, is it? 

Lee & his wife (who inherited it) donated their property to the U.S. to start up Arlington National Cemetery (and some forts to defend Wash. DC). It became permanent in 1864, but in their honor remained segregated until after WW II.😜

Nothing of the sort happened (except for the segregated part) :  

A.  It was initially confiscated by the Union during the Civil War, and used as a cemetery.

B.  After the war,  the Lee family sued to have it returned, on the basis that proper eminent domain processes were not followed.   They did win that case, but:  

C. Since the land had already been so full of soldiers graves,  the family decided to sell it to the government. (for what today would be about 3.5 million dollars).

So, it was confiscated, then sold for big bucks...but never donated. 

At the outbreak of the Civil War, most military personnel who died in battle near Washington, D.C., were buried at the United States Soldiers' Cemetery in Washington, D.C., or Alexandria Cemetery in Alexandria, Virginia, but by late 1863 both were nearly full.[12] On July 16, 1862, Congress passed legislation authorizing the U.S. federal government to purchase land for national cemeteries for military dead, and put the U.S. Army Quartermaster General in charge of this program.[12] In May 1864, Union forces suffered large numbers of dead in the Battle of the Wilderness. Quartermaster General Montgomery C. Meigs ordered that an examination of eligible sites be made for the establishment for a large new national military cemetery. Within weeks, his staff reported that Arlington Estate was the most suitable property in the area.[12] The property was high and free from floods (which might unearth graves), it had a view of the District of Columbia, and it was aesthetically pleasing. It was also the home of the leader of the armed forces of the Confederate States of America, and denying Robert E. Lee use of his home after the war was a valuable political consideration.[13] The first military burial at Arlington, for William Henry Christman, was made on May 13, 1864,[14] close to what is now the northeast gate in Section 27.[15] However, Meigs did not formally authorize establishment of burials until June 15, 1864.[16] Arlington did not desegregate its burial practices until President Harry S. Truman issued Executive Order 9981 on July 26, 1948.[17]

220px-SMA_Dunway_Burial_at_Arlington_Nat

The Old Guard transports the flag-draped casket of the second Sergeant Major of the Army, George W. Dunaway, who was buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery.

The government acquired Arlington at a tax sale in 1864 for $26,800, equal to $438,094 today.[18] Mrs. Lee had not appeared in person but rather had sent an agent, attempting to pay the $92.07 in property taxes (equal to $1,505 today) assessed on the estate in a timely manner.[19] The government turned away her agent, refusing to accept the tendered payment. In 1874,Custis Lee, heir under his grandfather's will passing the estate in trust to his mother, sued the United States claiming ownership of Arlington. On December 9, 1882, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5–4 in Lee's favor in United States v. Lee, deciding that Arlington had been confiscated without due process.[19][20] After that decision, Congress returned the estate to him, and on March 3, 1883, Custis Lee sold it back to the government for $150,000 (equal to $3,492,273 in 2020) at a signing ceremony with Secretary of War Robert Todd Lincoln.[18][21] The land then became a military reservation.[22]

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Did Otto Graham even throw the ball?

At the time, the Browns were among the pioneers of the forward pass.

Adjusted Passing

• * Selected to Pro Bowl, + First-Team All-Pro
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Att Y/A+ NY/A+ AY/A+ ANY/A+ Cmp%+ TD%+ Int%+ Sack%+ Rate+
Career       126 114 57-13-1 2626                  
1946 25 CLE QB   14 9   174 147   155   117 129 156   149
1947+ 26 CLE QB   14 9   269 149   146   139 122 131   142
1948+ 27 CLE QB   14 14   333 114   120   110 111 124   120
1949+ 28 CLE QB   12 11   285 142   141   132 106 138   134
1950* 29 CLE QB 60 12 12 10-2-0 253 114   108   120 104 97   110
1951*+ 30 CLE QB 60 12 12 11-1-0 265 123   124   128 112 112   127
1952* 31 CLE QB 14 12 12 8-4-0 364 113   112   107 106 106   111
1953*+ 32 CLE QB 14 12 11 10-1-0 258 144   148   143 95 134   142
1954*+ 33 CLE QB 14 12 12 9-3-0 240 123   115   127 100 98   114
1955+ 34 CLE QB 14 12 12 9-2-1 185 131   142   110 131 124   138