THE BROWNS BOARD

Saints release Warford

cambridgeho

Every thread that devolves into Gipper fighting with someone over some stupid triviality reminds me of the old unbelievably un-PC joke...

"Fighting on the Internet is like participating in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you are still a Retard." 

On 5/15/2020 at 10:29 AM, bjh2130 said:

I was looking at the roster yesterday and noticed that we also have former buckeye Malcolm Pridgeon. He was a very good guard for the buckeyes in 2018. He came in as a juco and at tackle. He made the switch to guard prior to the 2018 season.  I'm not saying he's going to be great but he has talent and is fairly new to the position.  Only been playing it since 2017 off season. He could be an interesting look at rg. Hopefully Bill Callahan can mold him into the type of lineman he wants.

Undrafted and sat out last season? PFR's page for him is blank.

image.png.de1ce50ed464712ebcd8bcb01d0c73a5.png

ProDay numbers don't scream "athletic", but could be he did not attend any camps to train for the events.

image.png.0396914e66cea8846496880f3e31ec76.png

But WTH... take a look. If any promise, then there's always the PS to stash im for development.

56 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Every thread that devolves into Gipper fighting with someone over some stupid triviality reminds me of the old unbelievably un-PC joke...

"Fighting on the Internet is like participating in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you are still a Retard." 

And unlike the dance it doesn't take two to tangle.

See what I did there? ;)

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

So?  you decided to join in? When did you change your name to Retard?

Besides...it is an actual pretty simple  question:   Do you also of the believe that a team that has lost the Super Bowl has won the Championship? 

Just now, The Gipper said:

So?  you decided to join in? When did you change your name to Retard?

Besides...it is an actual pretty simple  question:   Do you also of the believe that a team that has lost the Super Bowl has won the Championship? 

And the gold medal winner is back... 

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

And the gold medal winner is back... 

Well,   a gold medal winner won the championship of that sport/event.   Unlike the loser of the Super Bowl.  

I notice you continually dodge the question:   Do you think the loser of the Super Bowl is the Champion? 

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Undrafted and sat out last season? PFR's page for him is blank.

image.png.de1ce50ed464712ebcd8bcb01d0c73a5.png

ProDay numbers don't scream "athletic", but could be he did not attend any camps to train for the events.

image.png.0396914e66cea8846496880f3e31ec76.png

But WTH... take a look. If any promise, then there's always the PS to stash im for development.

From the browns website.  Apparently he was on our practice squad last season

"Originally signed by the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent on April 27, 2019…Waived by the Texans on August 30, 2019…Signed to the Cleveland Browns practice squad as a free agent on September 18, 2019."

• Thanks 2

Question:  What happens to practice squad players after the season ends?  -  Do they automatically get assigned to your roster until new season roster cuts?  Do they all automatically become free agents?  Do they line them up and shoot them?  what?

On 5/16/2020 at 10:58 AM, The Gipper said:

You aren't getting it...

The AL and NL are in the SAME LEAGUE. 

But go ahead and put your reputation where your mouth is.

Go back over ANY of this and quote ONE time that I said anything about the Colts won the whole thing or THE football championship.

You just can't accept the fact that you were wrong. 1st by saying that NOBODY considered the Colts to be champions in 1968. When that is proven to be incorrect, you change your argument. 

I have continually said that the Colts did NOT WIN THE SUPER BOWL. THEY DIDNT WIN THEIR LAST GAME OF THE SEASON. You see simple minded Gipper, BOTH things can be true. They were and will always be the 1968 NFL CHAMPIONS. THEY WON THE NFL. THE JETS WON THE AFL (TWO DIFFERENT LEAGUES DUMMY.) THEN THOSE TWO CHAMPIONS PLAYED EACH OTHER. 

Again, for the last time, if this pandemic hadn't occurred, and the Chiefs (the NFL Champion) had the opportunity to play the The Houston Roughnecks (assuming they won the XFL), the loser of that game would STILL BE their associated LEAGUE CHAMPION. 

But to the point, you never said a thing about the 1965 Green Bay Packers/Buffalo Bills. That doesn't fit your agenda. But BOTH of those were champions. Or heck, lets use 1964. The Browns won the NFL AND The Buffalo Bills won the AFL. 

If you can't refute any of that, then just STFU. I have not once said anything incorrect in this discussion. I have never used anything but facts and never used those facts to bend the results to match my opinion.

2 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

You aren't getting it...

The AL and NL are in the SAME LEAGUE. 

NO, they were NOT....Not until the early  2000s did the two leagues merge into one entity, called MLB.    If you can't get your facts straight...no sense dealing with you.

But go ahead and put your reputation where your mouth is.

Go back over ANY of this and quote ONE time that I said anything about the Colts won the whole thing or THE football championship.

Well...then, right,  what they won is just what I said:  the equivalent of an  AFC or NFC Conference Championship today. 

You just can't accept the fact that you were wrong.

I will accept the fact that I am right.  

1st by saying that NOBODY considered the Colts to be champions in 1968. When that is proven to be incorrect, you change your argument. 

I consider you correct here:  Nobody considered the Colts to be Champions of 1968

I have continually said that the Colts did NOT WIN THE SUPER BOWL. THEY DIDNT WIN THEIR LAST GAME OF THE SEASON. You see simple minded Gipper, BOTH things can be true. They were and will always be the 1968 NFL CHAMPIONS. THEY WON THE NFL. THE JETS WON THE AFL (TWO DIFFERENT LEAGUES DUMMY.) THEN THOSE TWO CHAMPIONS PLAYED EACH OTHER. 

Yes...just like the AFC and NFC Champions play each other.  

Again, for the last time, if this pandemic hadn't occurred, and the Chiefs (the NFL Champion) had the opportunity to play the The Houston Roughnecks (assuming they won the XFL), the loser of that game would STILL BE their associated LEAGUE CHAMPION. 

But to the point, you never said a thing about the 1965 Green Bay Packers/Buffalo Bills. That doesn't fit your agenda. But BOTH of those were champions. Or heck, lets use 1964. The Browns won the NFL AND The Buffalo Bills won the AFL. 

Except I think I did mention them.......BOTH  of them were Champions....because they WON , not lost their championship games, the last game they played.  But things changed the following year, and all the years since.....another level of playoffs was added.  In case you didn't notice. And for those 4 years, those NFL/AFL title games became the equivalent of the NFC and AFC title games that have happened since.  

If you can't refute any of that, then just STFU. I have not once said anything incorrect in this discussion. I have never used anything but facts and never used those facts to bend the results to match my opinion.

I don't think we disagree on the facts.   Maybe the interpretation of them.  All I can say is that the team that loses the ultimate championship game...is NOT the Champion. 

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Wow, dig dig dig.

You are the ONLY person who used ULTIMATE champion.

And again, unwilling to accept truth. Multiple different places, including NFL and ESPN DO RECOGNIZE them as EXACTLY what has been said since the beginning, NFL CHAMPIONS. 

Tell you what jacka**, lets make a clear deal. You stfu and leave if you show ANYWHERE where I said A WORD about the Colts winning the SB, their last game, or that they did ANYTHING besides win the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP.

And I guess if you hadn't have kept running your mouth and showed a narrow view then you could have been taken seriously with your AFC/NFC comparison being an extra game. But when you refused/disagreed/etc that a more comparable comparison would be NFL vs XFL then you lose all that credibility. 

And no pal, MLB hasn't just been around since early 2000s. That is just you trying to use some kind of asinine logic. If you are trying to use interleague play as a straw man argument, fine. But the point wasn't literally that the 2 teams didnt play common opponents, but that they were encompassed under a different umbrella.

It's absolutely hilarious that thinking back how you were making fun of someone who had blocked you calling them weak or something like that (in a profane manner if I recall correctly). But when over and over you interact with the same person and they are so thick headed that they won't listen to any sound reason, facts, etc. and verbally attack you then what is the reason you would want to continue to do so? Especially when that person does it with more than a handful of others and they continue to act as if they are the smarter, and only authority. Yet can't stand to be questioned on anything or they unleash a spew of venom.

Now carry on with your constant nonsense on here. Just be careful, the more you act the way you do, the more you resemble someone you seem to dislike (nope not a former poster here, think a lot bigger).

... or if you prefer... one of the great medleys of all time.

This beat goes on and on and on and on...

Seriously give it a listen... Canadian garage band that just fell short...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Wow, dig dig dig.

You are the ONLY person who used ULTIMATE champion.

And again, unwilling to accept truth. Multiple different places, including NFL and ESPN DO RECOGNIZE them as EXACTLY what has been said since the beginning, NFL CHAMPIONS. 

Tell you what jacka**, lets make a clear deal. You stfu and leave if you show ANYWHERE where I said A WORD about the Colts winning the SB, their last game, or that they did ANYTHING besides win the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP.

And I guess if you hadn't have kept running your mouth and showed a narrow view then you could have been taken seriously with your AFC/NFC comparison being an extra game. But when you refused/disagreed/etc that a more comparable comparison would be NFL vs XFL then you lose all that credibility. 

And no pal, MLB hasn't just been around since early 2000s. That is just you trying to use some kind of asinine logic. If you are trying to use interleague play as a straw man argument, fine. But the point wasn't literally that the 2 teams didnt play common opponents, but that they were encompassed under a different umbrella.

It's absolutely hilarious that thinking back how you were making fun of someone who had blocked you calling them weak or something like that (in a profane manner if I recall correctly). But when over and over you interact with the same person and they are so thick headed that they won't listen to any sound reason, facts, etc. and verbally attack you then what is the reason you would want to continue to do so? Especially when that person does it with more than a handful of others and they continue to act as if they are the smarter, and only authority. Yet can't stand to be questioned on anything or they unleash a spew of venom.

Now carry on with your constant nonsense on here. Just be careful, the more you act the way you do, the more you resemble someone you seem to dislike (nope not a former poster here, think a lot bigger).

Sorry if the facts don't fit in with your delusions. 

No winnee Supee Bowlee,  no Championshipee. 

It really is not that hard to figure out. 

And there is this:

The NL and AL were formed as separate legal entities in 1876 and 1901, respectively. Beginning in 1903, the two leagues cooperated but remained legally separate entities. In 2000 the leagues merged into a single organization led by the Commissioner of Baseball.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/16/sports/baseball-league-presidents-out-as-baseball-centralizes.html

19 hours ago, Orion said:

Question:  What happens to practice squad players after the season ends?  -  Do they automatically get assigned to your roster until new season roster cuts?  Do they all automatically become free agents?  Do they line them up and shoot them?  what?

Actually PS players may be signed directly off of your team at any time (with a major exception explained in the article) by any other team during or after the season. So in effect they are always free agents when placed on the practice squad to the best of my knowledge. Here is an article from a Philly source on how it works.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/9/2/17811416/nfl-practice-squad-eligibility-salary-rules-roster-cuts-waiver-wire-how-it-works-philadelphia-eagles

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Sorry if the facts don't fit in with your delusions. 

No winnee Supee Bowlee,  no Championshipee. 

It really is not that hard to figure out. 

And there is this:

The NL and AL were formed as separate legal entities in 1876 and 1901, respectively. Beginning in 1903, the two leagues cooperated but remained legally separate entities. In 2000 the leagues merged into a single organization led by the Commissioner of Baseball.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/16/sports/baseball-league-presidents-out-as-baseball-centralizes.html

Have a nice day 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:
20 hours ago, Orion said:

Actually PS players may be signed directly off of your team at any time (with a major exception explained in the article) by any other team during or after the season. So in effect they are always free agents when placed on the practice squad to the best of my knowledge. Here is an article from a Philly source on how it works.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/9/2/17811416/nfl-practice-squad-eligibility-salary-rules-roster-cuts-waiver-wire-how-it-works-philadelphia-eagles

Thank you for replying but that stuff I already knew.  My question is quite specific.

In the absence of information I will assume that practice squad players become 'unattached' to any team after the season ends.  So, the fact that Pridgeon is listed as on our roster would tell me that he was signed to the active roster prior to the season ending.

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

Thank you for replying but that stuff I already knew.  My question is quite specific.

In the absence of information I will assume that practice squad players become 'unattached' to any team after the season ends.  So, the fact that Pridgeon is listed as on our roster would tell me that he was signed to the active roster prior to the season ending.

Likely so since we don't now have to identify this year's PS until the deadline for doing so in 2020 arrives, whenever that is now. Any others brought forward like that from 2019 PS to your knowledge? I assume they can sign binding contracts just like our rookie UDFAs do.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Actually PS players may be signed directly off of your team at any time (with a major exception explained in the article)...

I assume you refer to the requirement that any player plucked from a pluckee's PS must be placed on the plucker's 53-man.

3 hours ago, Orion said:

I didn't know the answer to your question, but you made me curious. Turns out Wiki has a decent, or at least understandable, write-up (see below).

As to your example of Pridgeon... I think you'll see that no signing to "the roster" was required. Of course right now the roster limit is 90... there is no 53-man designation.

And sure enough... a scan of our 2019 transactions includes: "12/30(/19) - Signed G Malcolm Pridgeon to reserve/futures list."

Pay? Found one refernce on this... "How much is a reserve/future contract in the NFL? The majority of Reserve/Futures contracts, as well as nearly all Undrafted Free Agent signings this summer will include a minimum salary base contract."

Of course they can be paid more as we saw with our 2020 UDFA CB, AJ Green.

National Football League

Effective with the 2020 season, each NFL team may keep up to 12 players on its practice squad in addition to the 55-man active roster; effective with the 2022 season, the number of players on the practice squad will increase to 14.[11] A majority of those on a practice squad are rookie draft picks and undrafted free agents who were released prior to the regular season. A practice squad also includes veterans, up to four as of the 2016 season.[12] Players may be signed to a practice squad for several reasons: for lack of space on the team, due to injury, or because they require more development. Practice squad players can be signed to any team's 53-man active roster, without compensation to their former team, at any time during the season.

A player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons; he is eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment, or have no prior accrued seasons in the NFL (an accrued season is six or more games on the active roster); or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience on a club's 53-man active roster. If the player was on the active list for fewer than nine games during their "only accrued season(s)", he maintains his eligibility for the practice squad. Games in which a player is listed as the third-string quarterback do not count as being on the active list.[13] Former quarterback Mike Quinn, who was listed as the third-string quarterback for several teams throughout his career, is a notable example, being practice squad eligible during his 8th NFL season.[14]

Practice squad players practice alongside regular roster players during the week, but they are not allowed to play in actual games.

The practice squad is only in effect during the regular season. During the offseason, players are instead signed to a reserve/future list; any person on a practice squad, or not on an active roster, is eligible for a futures contract. Such contracts count toward a team's 90-person offseason roster limit but do not count toward the team's salary cap until the start of the league fiscal year in March.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practice_squad#National_Football_League

Now... about Sashi... 🤐

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

The practice squad is only in effect during the regular season. During the offseason, players are instead signed to a reserve/future list; any person on a practice squad, or not on an active roster, is eligible for a futures contract. Such contracts count toward a team's 90-person offseason roster limit but do not count toward the team's salary cap until the start of the league fiscal year in March.[15]

Thanks muchly!

OK...so back to the Practice Squad  -  Reserve / Futures List

The practice squad dissolves at the end of the season.  (they become free agents)

So then you can sign these (or other) free agents to your Reserve / Futures List which puts them actually ON your roster (90 man roster).  This then gives you ownership over those practice squad players that you didn't have before.  Until you cut those bums at final cuts and then resign them to the PS again (if still eligible).

.....just thinkin' out loud here...

On 5/19/2020 at 1:01 PM, Orion said:

OK...so back to the Practice Squad  -  Reserve / Futures List

The practice squad dissolves at the end of the season.  (they become free agents)

So then you can sign these (or other) free agents to your Reserve / Futures List which puts them actually ON your roster (90 man roster).  This then gives you ownership over those practice squad players that you didn't have before.  Until you cut those bums at final cuts and then resign them to the PS again (if still eligible).

.....just thinkin' out loud here...

That's the way I understand it.

On 5/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, Orion said:

Technically maybe... but our last game was on 12/29/19 and we signed PS guys on 12/30/19. So that's one tiny-ass window for other teams to jump thru if tamper rules apply to PS members... and I think they would although, TBH, I'm not sure... a/k/a I'm thinkin' out loud as well.

Did a little more digging to get a sense of PS activity thing about my curiosity streak.hoping to get some insight into how the transitions into and out of the off-season work. Turns out what I learned is that I really need to do something about my curiosity streak.

Anyway... Here's ours recent history... sorta.

We appear to be deficient in posting some PS/ResFuture signings and even more releases to the "Transactions" list on our official team website.

I did learn that at least in 2019 being on a Res/Futures deal offered no edge in making the PS. Only two platers made the jump. I am going to guess that is the case most years what with the post-draft onslaught of UDFAs.

----------------------------------------------- 2020 -----------------------------------------------

01/28/20 - Signed FB Johnny Stanton to reserve/futures list (9)

----------------------------------------------- 2019 -----------------------------------------------

12/30/19 - Signed CB Donnie Lewis Jr. to reserve/futures list (8)

12/30 - Signed G Malcolm Pridgeon to reserve/futures list (7)

12/30 - Signed LB Montrel Meander to reserve/futures list (6)

12/30 - Signed WR J'Mon Moore to reserve/futures list (5)

12/30 - Signed DE Trevon Young to reserve/futures list (4)

12/30 - Signed G Willie Wright to reserve/futures list (3)

12/30 - Signed DT Brandin Bryant to reserve/futures list (2)

12/30 - Signed LB Jermaine Grace to reserve/futures list (1)

12/24 - Elevated G Colby Gossett from to active roster from practice squad (13)

12/23 - Signed DT Brandin Bryant to practice squad (14?)

12/21 - Elevated DE Robert McCray from practice squad to active roster (13)

12/19 - Released QB Eric Dungey from practice squad (14)

12/19 - Signed LB Jermaine Grace to practice squad (15?)

12/03 - Signed DE Trevon Young to practice squad (14?)

12/03 - Released S A.J. Howard from practice squad (13)

11/27 - Signed DE Robert McCray to practice squad (14?)

11/25 - Signed WR J'Mon Moore to practice squad (13?)

11/22 - Elevated DE Porter Gustin from practice squad to active roster (12)

11/22 - Elevated DT Brandin Bryant from practice squad to active roster (13)

11/20 - Signed S A.J. Howard to practice squad (14?)

11/04 - Signed DE Porter Gustin to practice squad (13?)

11/01 - Elevated TE Stephen Carlson from practice squad to active roster (12)

10/22 - Released RB Elijah McGuire from practice squad (13)

10/22 - Signed LB Montrel Meander to practice squad (14?)

10/11- Signed QB Eric Dungey to practice squad (13?)

09/20 - (Re-)Signed CB Donnie Lewis Jr. to practice squad (12?)

09/18 - Signed G Malcolm Pridgeon to practice squad (11)

09/16 - Elevated RB Elijah McGuire from practice squad to active roster. (10)

09/12 - Released CB Donnie Lewis Jr. from practice squad ??? (11)

09/12 - Signed G Colby Gossett to practice squad (12?)

09/07 - Signed CB Donnie Lewis Jr. (to PS?) (11)

09/07 - Released T Paul Adams from practice squad (10)

--- > Additional players per 9/1/19 article, "Updated: Browns name 11 members of practice squad": RB Elijah McGuire (10) and OT Paul Adams (11)

09/01 -Signed WR Derrick Willies to practice squad (9)

09/01 - Signed LB Willie Harvey to practice squad (8)

09/01 - Signed G Willie Wright to practice squad (7)

09/01- Signed CB Robert Jackson to practice squad (6) *from Res/Futures

09/01- Signed DT Brandin Bryant to practice squad (5)

09/01 - Signed S J.T. Hassell to practice squad (4)

09/01 - Signed TE Stephen Carlson to practice squad (3)

09/01 - Signed S Tigie Sankoh to practice squad (2) ... (*from Res/Futures)

09/01 - Signed WR Shelton Gibson to practice squad (1)

01/07 - Signed DB Ashton Lampkin to reserve/futures list (11)

01/07 - Signed OL David Bright to reserve/futures list (10)

01/02 - Signed DL Devaroe Lawrence to reserve/futures list (9)

01/02 - Signed WR Daniel Williams to reserve/futures list (8)

01/02 - Signed RB Devante Mays to reserve/futures list (7)

01/02 - Signed OL Kyle Friend to reserve/futures list (6)

01/02 - Signed OL Brad Seaton to reserve/futures list (5)

01/02 - Signed DB Tigie Sankoh to reserve/futures list (4) 👍

01/02 - Signed DB Lenzy Pipkins to reserve/futures list (3)

01/02 - Signed DL Daniel Ekuale to reserve/futures list (2)

01/02 - Signed DB Robert Jackson to reserve/futures list (1) 👍

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

We appear to be deficient in posting some PS/ResFuture signings and even more releases to the "Transactions" list on our official team website.  Isn't THAT the truth!?

I did learn that at least in 2019 being on a Res/Futures deal offered no edge in making the PS.  Because like I said, they're basically 'bums'.  :)

Thanks again for your efforts.

IMO, the PS is for two types of players. (maybe 3).  Bodies that you can put on the field so that some of your guys that could use some recoup rest don't have to be out there.  Mostly fatasses of one type or another.  Then there's the guys that you kinda' sorta' liked a little in TC and wonder if you can actually make something out of them with a little time, teaching and practice.  And finally, guys that you sign to the squad because a couple of players at the position got hurt and you might need someone to come in and play the position in a pinch.  On the PS this / these guys can get a feel for the playbook and be kinda' sorta' up to speed if they have to wear the uniform on gameday.

Mostly, they're just bums.  I thought Derick Willies was a guy that would be able to help us at WR...but he never really could get himself on the field expect for one brief moment.

"Bums" strikes me as being a tad uncharitable... but, yes... not exactly the future creme de la creme of the League. Just some kids that one way or another showed enough that a scout or two thought they had some potential to develop.

Players with long odds of making it to be sure, but worth some time to see if anything develops. In the absence of even so much as an arena league, it's their only shot.