THE BROWNS BOARD

Saints release Warford

cambridgeho

He is scheduled to make approximately $8.5 million in salary and extras this year, and is an UFA next year. While he would be a great addition I don't think the $ and contract would be attractive for the Browns.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry said:

He is scheduled to make approximately $8.5 million in salary and extras this year, and is an UFA next year. While he would be a great addition I don't think the $ and contract would be attractive for the Browns.

What is the issue with the money?  What does it cost for a Pro Bowl  OG?   8.5 mill does not sound terrible. As for the contract...any contract can be negotiated...or re-negotiated.   Would he be a vast improvement on  Teller or Forbes? 

took a short look at nfl gamepass.. I can see why Brees feels protected in pass pro with this guy..He's a solid pass protector...Alvin Kamara feeds off Warford as a gap road grader RG...am not seeing a zone blocking lineman here..can't say he can't, but he won't stay on the street to long either 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

am not seeing a zone blocking lineman here..but he won't stay on the street to long either 

Ding ding ding...

OGs are unlike OTs whose PassPro skill correlates well with WZS aptitude.

Warford looks to be Man/Gap scheme guy. Even his old Combine results scream "put him in a phone booth".

• Upvote 1

Great analysis gumby and tour. From what I have read the exact reason the Saints let him go. He's great in a phone booth, but they want to get their lineman out in space and have them run. I think at this point with the Browns, you see what Teller and forbes and maybe even hubbard have in the tank before you sign someone else.

5 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

Great analysis gumby and tour.

On behalf of the gumster and myself...

... aw shucks... tweren't nothin'... :blush:

Probably just guarantees we sign him by Monday... ;)

7 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

Great analysis gumby and tour... I think at this point with the Browns, you see what Teller and forbes and maybe even hubbard have in the tank before you sign someone else.

Thanks!   looks to me, Hubbard took a butt-load of a hit in his wallet to stick around here to bet on himself & Callahan gets a cheaper peek..  https://overthecap.com/player/chris-hubbard/2708/             

Hub could win a job as our swing Tackle vs Lamm? and Callahan saw enough in Harris, Forbes & Teller to also win a RG job, with now adding Hub into the mix.. 

I also remember another great tech lineman from the U of Bama named Jonah Williams.. before his camp injury..reports were not great folks..nothings given here in the NFL.. 

I see no need to add a high priced Guard.. another DE or LB'er? you bet ya..  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Our line is fine.  

we have invested in it heavily. We locked in the key players. We’ve acquired others.  

I still think Right Guard is questionable.   I mean, do you use the spray (Teller), or the roll-on (Forbes).  Or should we switch to Mennen Speed Stick (Warford)

let’s worry about the defense please and Hope Baker makes quicker reads.

Well, there is that a bit.  I will hoping that he is better in  some of his decision making in order to reduce those 21 Ints.   second in the league only to Winston

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Our line is fine.  

we have invested in it heavily. We locked in the key players. We’ve acquired others.  

let’s worry about the defense please and Hope Baker makes quicker reads

Totally agree. I love what the Browns have done with their OLine. The Tackle position has gone from a huge problem to something they went balls to the wall to fix. Kudos to them.

But this defense? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

You got Forbes, Hubbard and Teller.  Pro Bowlers no.  All Capable probably.  Great depth here 

Well....we have bodies that we can put in there, sure.  (Let's not forget Nick Harris).   But "great"?   I will retain my reservations. 

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

Is it a need at this point?

Maybe.  Again....following the conversation all along here.....it all depends on how you feel about the quality of either  Forbe/Teller/Harris/Hubbard....or whomever mans that position.   Or, err, actually, it depends on how well they would perform , which, I reiterate, is still a question in my mind. 

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

No,  but,  I would hope for "Good".   I don't know if we have Good. 

Teller started 8 games gave up 1 sack.  He’s 25.

I’ll take it.  especially if we’ve essentially opened the spot up for competition and we are making him to earn it again.   

I'm not sure when Wyatt Teller became a superstar.  Last year's regime didn't seem to think so.  Most talking heads had RG as a secondary need in this year's draft.  I'm not saying that we have to invest in a pro bowl RG right now, after all we DID just draft a center who might contend for the RG spot...along with a bunch of other bodies, but I wouldn't be adverse to adding more competition to that position.

21 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm not sure when Wyatt Teller became a superstar.  Last year's regime didn't seem to think so.  Most talking heads had RG as a secondary need in this year's draft.  I'm not saying that we have to invest in a pro bowl RG right now, after all we DID just draft a center who might contend for the RG spot...along with a bunch of other bodies, but I wouldn't be adverse to adding more competition to that position.

Teller took over late and played well (as numbers suggest) as the season went on. 

I see Harris mentioned now a few times but if we are listening to the talking heads Most of the scouting reports limit Harris to the Center position.  

32 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Teller took over late and played well (as numbers suggest) as the season went on. 

I seem to remember that he was in, then out, then in again.  That position was very fluid last year.  It seemed like they were experimenting pretty much all season long.

11 hours ago, Orion said:

I'm not sure when Wyatt Teller became a superstar.

Red herring argument.  Nobody thought that.. even in this thread.

10 hours ago, Orion said:

I seem to remember that he was in, then out, then in again

He was a 56.7 last year.. better than Hubbard and Robinson.  This isn't Madden - you can't upgrade everything immediately.  Even Cam Erving got OL starts last season for KC..

The question is not "Warford Or Teller: Who's Better" -- the question is ALWAYS "Given Our Salary Cap And Contract Situation, Is Player X Worth Millions"

As I posted above - RG isn't a strength, but it has to be at the bottom of the list of our weaknesses.

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Red herring argument.  Nobody thought that.. even in this thread.

He was a 56.7 last year.. better than Hubbard and Robinson.  This isn't Madden - you can't upgrade everything immediately.  Even Cam Erving got OL starts last season for KC..

The question is not "Warford Or Teller: Who's Better" -- the question is ALWAYS "Given Our Salary Cap And Contract Situation, Is Player X Worth Millions"

As I posted above - RG isn't a strength, but it has to be at the bottom of the list of our weaknesses.

Is it?   Assuming Jed Wills is the real deal,  I would still say that the RG spot is still the one position on the offense that is the most unsettled, fair to say?

Now, on defense? :

A.  The defensive line SHOULD be a well settled deal.  If Vernon is healthy, our starters should be solid, and the group of backup/rotation guys  gives us some good depth...seemingly.

B.  LInebacker.....I AGREE that the LB situation is as unsettled as the RG position.    Wilson, Takitaki,  Goodson, and the rookie Jacobs.  It IS higher on our concern list than RG, simply because we have  2-3 positions that may be considered questionable.

C. DB.....Ward/Williams I would say are entrenched at CB, backed up by Mitchell.      Karl Joseph, Delpit,  Sendejo?   Not as unsettled as perhaps LB....but, agree, not what I think we should consider to be a rock solid group. Maybe this group will  prove itself. 

So, 3  iffy spots  IMO:   RG,  LB, S.    Hopefully all these guys come through. 

47 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

3  iffy spots  IMO:   RG,  LB, S

Bodies, not categories.  There's two or three LB, there's two S, there's one RG.

Each of the three LB and at least one of the S [could argue 2, but even if you grant Delpit starts from preseason game 2] have less experience and skill for their position than Teller.

Neither of last year's drafted LB are superstars -- in fact they're far more questionably able to be NFL starters than Teller.

LB1
LB2
S1
RG
LB3 [Mack]
S2 [Delpit]

5 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

RG isn't a strength, but it has to be at the bottom of the list of our weaknesses.

Wouldn't our strongest position have to be at the bottom of a weaknesses list? ;)

Just realized how Gipperish that question sounded... :wacko:

Nevermind...