THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL stadiums

The Gipper

Just a whimsical thread here.   There is as much down time post draft as there is at any point in the year.

The following  NFL stadiums are NOT in the city that the team is named for:

Las Vegas Raiders  are actually going to be playing in Paradise NV   in their new stadium

Dallas Cowboys  play in Arlington TX

Washington Redskins play in Landover MD

Miami Dolphins  actually play in Miami Gardens Fla.

San Francisco  49ers play in Santa Clara CA

NY Jets and NY Giants  play in East Rutherford NJ....not even the same state

LA Rams and LA Chargers will be playing in Inglewood CA

Then there are the  "regional teams"    New England Patriots,   Carolina Panthers,  Tennessee Titans, Minnesota Twins......who do all play in the "regions" they are located in.....for what that is worth. 

The following 3 teams have played on the same "field"  for all of their games,  though, in a couple of cases, a new/renovated  stadium has been built around the field:

Houston Texans, have played  in NRG/Reliant stadium  since their inception in 2002.

Jacksonville Jaguars  have played on the field  since 1995 which was once part of the stadium there that has gone through a complete renovation, name changes  Gator Bowl/Jacksonville Municipal Stadium/Everbank/TIAA Bank stadium.

The Cleveland Browns have played on the same field  footprint since their inception in 1946, though a completely new stadium has been built around it.  MUnicipal Stadium/Cleveland Browns stad/First Energy. 

All other teams have changed  the location/field they have played on.     The second longest field in duration after the Cleveland Field is the location of Lambeau Field,  Green Bay  since 1957. 

On three occasions  in NFL history,  a  team had to play one of their home games in the  home stadium of another  NFL team:

A.The Buffalo Bills had to play the Jets  in Detroit's Ford Field because of a massive blizzard in Buffalo

B. The San Diego Chargers had to play the Miami Dolphins in the Cardinals home field  (at the time: Sun Devil Stad. in Tempe AZ), due to  wildfires in SD.

C.  The New Orleans played a "home game"  against the  NY Giants....in Giants Stadium in NJ   after Katrina.   The Saints played the rest of their season that year in  either the Alamodome in San Antonio, or the LSU stadium in Baton Rouge.

There have been a number of other reasons a team could not play a game in its stadium, but like the Saints above, they  played in another stadium in the same town (like the Vikings playing in Univ. of  Minn. stadium)  or they played in some other neutral site. 

The Ten largest capacity stadiums...based on normal allowed attendance  in the NFL are:

1. MetLife Stadium  Giants/Jets:  82, 500

2. FedEx Stadium:  Redskins  82,000

3. Lambeau  Field:  Packers  81,441

4. AT&T Stadium:  Cowboys....80,000, but can be expanded to 100K

5. LA  Coliseum:  Rams  (for now)   77,501    (also expandable)

6. Arrowhead Stadium:  Chiefs  76,416

7. Denver New Mile High:  Broncos  76,125

8. Bank of America:   Panthers  73,779

9. Supedome:  Saints  73,208

10:  New Era Field:   Bills  73,079

Cleveland Browns Stadium (first energy)  has a current capacity of 67,895......but had  73,200 before the 2017 renovation. 

Also, be aware that there are as many as 20  permanent college stadiums that are bigger than any NFL stadium:

Michigan,   Penn St.,  Texas A&M, Tennessee, Texas,  LSU, UCLA (Rose Bowl),  Ohio State,  Alabama, Georgia  just to name the top ones. 

Note:  Raiders new Stadium will have a 65K  capacity.   Rams/Chargers new stadium will be 70,240     IF they will ever let fans into them. 

The following states have the most  football stadiums  with a capacity of 50,000 or more, college and Pros:

California  8

Texas  8

Florida  5

Pennsylvania  4

Indiana  4

N. Carolina  4

9 states have 3 or more,   including Ohio   (Ohio Stadium, First Energy, Paul Brown)

The official  "oldest" stadiums in the league are:

Soldier Field  open  1924

Lambeau Field  open 1957

Arrowhead Stadium  open 1972

New Era  (Bills)  open 1973

The Superdome  open 1975

the thing is,  some of these have undergone complete renovations  like Soldier Field,   but others have also gone with complete renovations, like Jacksonville, and are considered "new stadiums".    Also note, on this list  the old LA Coliseum is not included, as the Rams/Chargers new home is considered their home.   Same for the Raiders.  Oakland Coliseum no longer counted.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The Ten largest capacity stadiums...based on normal allowed attendance  in the NFL are:

1. MetLife Stadium  Giants/Jets:  82, 500

2. FedEx Stadium:  Redskins  82,000

3. Lambeau  Field:  Packers  81,441

4. AT&T Stadium:  Cowboys.....but can be expanded to 100K

5. LA  Coliseum:  Rams  (for now)   77,501    (also expandable)

6. Arrowhead Stadium:  Chiefs  76,416

7. Denver New Mile High:  Broncos  76,125

8. Bank of America:   Panthers  73,779

9. Supedome:  Saints  73,208

10:  New Era Field:   Bills  73,079

Cleveland Browns Stadium (first energy)  has a current capacity of 67,895......but had  73,200 before the 2017 renovation. 

Also, be aware that there are as many as 20  permanent college stadiums that are bigger than any NFL stadium:

Michigan,   Penn St.,  Texas A&M, Tennessee, Texas,  LSU, UCLA (Rose Bowl),  Ohio State,  Alabama, Georgia  just to name the top ones. 

I knew that Cleveland Browns stadium was built where Muni stadium stood but never considered the field was on the same footprint. 

Who remembers this place?

download.jpeg

The following 3 teams have played on the same "field"  for all of their games,  though, in a couple of cases, a new/renovated  stadium has been built around the field:

Houston Texans, have played  in NRG/Reliant stadium  since their inception in 2002.

Jacksonville Jaguars  have played on the field  since 1995 which was once part of the stadium there that has gone through a complete renovation, name changes  Gator Bowl/Jacksonville Municipal Stadium/Everbank/TIAA Bank stadium.

The Cleveland Browns have played on the same field  footprint since their inception in 1946, though a completely new stadium has been built around it.  MUnicipal Stadium/Cleveland Browns stad/First Energy. 

All other teams have changed  the location/field they have played on.     The second longest field in duration after the Cleveland Field is the location of Lambeau Field,  Green Bay  since 1957. 

What about the CHICAGO BEARS . That stadium has been around along time. Just updated new seats and suites etc.

28 minutes ago, dusty said:

I knew that Cleveland Browns stadium was built where Muni stadium stood but never considered the field was on the same footprint. 

download.jpeg

Well, the footprint of the current field is almost exactly that of where the Municipal Stadium field sat.   And yea, I remember that.  I know I ate there at least once. 

17 minutes ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

What about the CHICAGO BEARS . That stadium has been around along time. Just updated new seats and suites etc.

The Bears did not actually move to  Soldier Field until like 1970.  Before that they played most of their games at Wrigley Field, believe it or not.   (even though Soldier Field was built in like 1924)

Right now it's like MLB is on strike the NBA is getting ready for their Jun-ish playoffs, people in Canada are talking about hockey and we're waiting around for college and professional football.

I can't even get a grip on football starting with just players and no fans in the lovely stadiums that we are chatting about.

The tough economic truth is that colleges will be really hurting if they can't put butts in seat and real soon.  Some programs of all sizes might not survive almost all are drawing up contingency plans with a lot of layoffs.  I saw Jim Tressel on local TV yesterday discussing the topic.

The NFL with it's huge TV contract that pays these huge player contracts with all of their signing bonuses, workout bonuses along with the issue of advertisers is still kind of up in the air. 

The possibility of televised college and professional football with no fans is a possibility, kind of like scrimmages with referees and a clock and occasional TV timeouts for commercials.  I imagine that you still will be able to make bets on the games if you desire but it would be like a football twilight zone.

Stay tuned I guess that we all just need to wait and see what happens next.  :blink:

21 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Just a whimsical thread here.   There is as much down time post draft as there is at any point in the year.

The following  NFL stadiums are NOT in the city that the team is named for:

Las Vegas Raiders  are actually going to be playing in Paradise NV   in their new stadium

Dallas Cowboys  play in Arlington TX

Washington Redskins play in Landover MD

Miami Dolphins  actually play in Miami Gardens Fla.

San Francisco  49ers play in Santa Clara CA

NY Jets and NY Giants  play in East Rutherford NJ....not even the same state

LA Rams and LA Chargers will be playing in Inglewood CA

Then there are the  "regional teams"    New England Patriots,   Carolina Panthers,  Tennessee Titans, Minnesota Twins......who do all play in the "regions" they are located in.....for what that is worth. 

The Raiders are playing in Vegas the stadium is just off the strip. Rams and Chargers too they essentially play in LA.

31 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Raiders are playing in Vegas the stadium is just off the strip. Rams and Chargers too they essentially play in LA.

Yes, all these teams I mentioned do play in the area of the city they take their name from,  but I was just pointing out that they are not actually located in the city limits of those cities.  I was just by the new Raiders stadium in Feb....and I know that is "off strip".   It is on the other side of I-15 from Mandalay Bay.....and though I did not realize it at the time because nothing looks different,  that is technically in Pardise, not LV.    All these teams that play in suburbs can be said to "essentially" be in the city the name carries......but they do not.   

While it does not make much difference to me and you, it makes a difference to those cities. After all, the tax revenues from stadium operations there would go to Paradise, not LV.  

I had found this information on line.  It shows that the Browns stadium capacity was reduced by a total of  5,305  seats. 

For those of you season ticket season holders, or who go to the games frequently.......where and how in the stadium did they  lose all those seats? 

20 hours ago, dusty said:

download.jpeg

My father was best friends with Capt Frank. I visited his house and restaurant all the time. Remember the custard stand in the back? 😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Barry said:

My father was best friends with Capt Frank. I visited his house and restaurant all the time. Remember the custard stand in the back? 😀

Yeah , that custard was delicious , too!.. My Pop used to take me down there.. we would park in the lot.. go get a custard.. then sit outside the car , listening to the Tribe on the radio... I miss that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nickers said:

Yeah , that custard was delicious , too!.. My Pop used to take me down there.. we would park in the lot.. go get a custard.. then sit outside the car , listening to the Tribe on the radio... I miss that.

And don't forget the Goodtime II and submarine!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry said:

And don't forget the Goodtime II and submarine!

Rode the Goodtime II numerous times as a child... I think I may have to do that after the lockdown..

Here is a clue for you all, which I did not know heretofore:

Most of The Strip is NOT in Las Vegas, but is in Paradise NV.   Everything south of Circus Circus in fact:   The Venetian, Balley's The Mirage, Treasure Island, Caesar's Palace, MGM, Mandalay Bay...etc etc.   All in "Paradise".   I know...its news to me:

U.S. Census Map

Yes, all these teams I mentioned do play in the area of the city they take their name from,  but I was just pointing out that they are not actually located in the city limits of those cities.  I was just by the new Raiders stadium in Feb....and I know that is "off strip".   It is on the other side of I-15 from Mandalay Bay.....and though I did not realize it at the time because nothing looks different,  that is technically in Pardise, not LV.    All these teams that play in suburbs can be said to "essentially" be in the city the name carries......but they do not.   

While it does not make much difference to me and you, it makes a difference to those cities. After all, the tax revenues from stadium operations there would go to Paradise, not LV.  

I think it’s Clark Co. benefiting and Vegas is within Clark 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Fair enough.  Makes sense.   It was Cuyahoga County, not Cleveland that did the same here for our stadiums, I believe. 

Big difference with the Niners as their stadium and facilities are outside of the Co. that The city of SF is in and same with the NY teams as you pointed out 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Big difference with the Niners as their stadium and facilities are outside of the Co. that The city of SF is in and same with the NY teams as you pointed out 

Niners' stadium was not publicly financed technically, though Santa Clara potentially could have been responsible for payments if certain flows of revenue failed to materialize.

• Thanks 1

I guess the circumstances matter the most...Thinking back a few years I lived outside of SD Proper but within SD County and I didn’t get to vote on the stadium financing because the proposed stadium site land was owned by the City of San Diego and outlying towns therefore could not vote on the issue although they were within San Diego County. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I guess the circumstances matter the most...Thinking back a few years I lived outside of SD Proper but within SD County and I didn’t get to vote on the stadium financing because the proposed stadium site land was owned by the City of San Diego and outlying towns therefore could not vote on the issue although they were within San Diego County. 

Was the financing for upgrades or a new stadium? Did it pass? Was that partially responsible for SD losing its team? There was virtually no way a stadium could have been built in the Bay Area using public funds when Santa Clara was built. Soon after the Montana-Young dynasty DeBartolo wanted to rebuild a stadium on the old Candlestick spot (which is horrendous). It was surrounded by a lot of low-income properties, and even though the 49ers were beloved in the Bay Area, had just won a bunch of Super Bowls, and DeBartolo promised to rebuild the area surrounding Candlestick into decent housing, stores, etc. it didn't pass.

55 minutes ago, Barry said:

Was the financing for upgrades or a new stadium? Did it pass? Was that partially responsible for SD losing its team? There was virtually no way a stadium could have been built in the Bay Area using public funds when Santa Clara was built. Soon after the Montana-Young dynasty DeBartolo wanted to rebuild a stadium on the old Candlestick spot (which is horrendous). It was surrounded by a lot of low-income properties, and even though the 49ers were beloved in the Bay Area, had just won a bunch of Super Bowls, and DeBartolo promised to rebuild the area surrounding Candlestick into decent housing, stores, etc. it didn't pass.

I believe the New Stadium measure was in 15 or 16.  It failed of course.  I believe it was 100% taxpayer measure and no kick in by Charger Ownership. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I believe the New Stadium measure was in 15 or 16.  It failed of course.  I believe it was 100% taxpayer measure and no kick in by Charger Ownership. 

Here is a fairly complete story about the Chargers and Rams moves.   Needless to say, the Chargers owner was unable or unwilling to do what several owners did around the league:   privately finance his own stadium deal. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28117460/inside-rams-chargers-marriage-nfl-fights-los-angeles

• Thanks 1