THE BROWNS BOARD

Higgins is back

LondonBrown

I’m guessing Higgins dropped his asking price with the Browns. It seems reasonable that when he first set out as a FA he would seek a contract that was higher than the vet minimum. I seriously doubt he instructed his agent to find him a team that would pay him the least amount of money possible.

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Is that even remotely close to what I'm talking about? 

The answer is no, it is not. 

Seemed pretty damn close to me...

If not Freddie's "competence" what were you talking about?

39 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Seemed pretty damn close to me...

If not Freddie's "competence" what were you talking about?

He was talking about what was going on between Higgins and the coach/locker room/owners whatever. We don't know that. We know Freddie was over his head. 

23 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Is it?

Really all seem kinda the same to me... I mean obviously they have discernible skill levels, but all have more or less the same physical make up.

I really see a need for a smallish, uber-elusive, Edelman type. It's one of the reason I jumped on Ags' Duvernay bandwagon.

With Steph running a lot of 2 TE sets I see less of a need of a Duvernay type of receiver.

12 minutes ago, Barry said:

With Steph running a lot of 2 TE sets I see less of a need of a Duvernay type of receiver.

We need bodies period. We have depth pretty much everywhere but WR and LB 

OBJ has an injury history.  Landry is coming off of a surgery.  God forbid one or even both go down.  

Hodge? Nah. Taylor? Nah. Ratley? Is okay. DPJ in Year 1? Not ready for substantial playing time is my guess. 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

TBH... more 12 sets increase the need of a small quick WR to my mind.

2 hours ago, Nero said:

He was talking about what was going on between Higgins and the coach/locker room/owners

Well since only one of the underlined changed...

OBJ, Juice, Hollywood, DPJ, Njoku, Cooper, Hunt and Chubb. 

Mayfield better be ready to step it up. It's all on him. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

No way you should count on Peeps any more than you should count on Ratley.  Both were like  6th round picks....backups.  We now have our proven  3rd stringer in the fold....anything these other backup WRs give us would be pure gravy. 

21 hours ago, PoeticG said:

And 'we think' he will not have the OL as an excuse this year.

1 minute ago, Orion said:

If the Browns OLine is a problem after spending a boatload of money on Conklin and using the #10 overall pick on Wills, the Browns are in deep doo-doo. 

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

If the Browns OLine is a problem after spending a boatload of money on Conklin and using the #10 overall pick on Wills, the Browns are in deep doo-doo. 

Well, yeah.  You never 'really' know how a draft pick will work out.  But, in theory, we've pretty much fixed the OL (although RG still has question marks).

1 minute ago, Orion said:

Well, yeah.  You never 'really' know how a draft pick will work out.  But, in theory, we've pretty much fixed the OL (although RG still has question marks).

I know there has been complaints that OLinemen in the last decade have struggled coming into the NFL even more than usual, because of the offenses most colleges run. 

A lot of college OLinemen aren't real hip to one-on-one straight up I'm going to pound your ass into the ground blocking. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

A lot of college OLinemen aren't real hip to one-on-one straight up I'm going to pound your ass into the ground blocking.

Fortunately, and supposedly, the guy that WE drafted seems to have that kind of attitude built into his dna.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Orion said:

Starting talent is much improved.

Depth?

Well...

Have I mentioned the starting talent is much improved? :)

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Nick Harris could also be depth.   If he isn't Austin Corbett  redux. 

I'd be somewhat surprised if he's a starter this season unless there's a rash of injuries, but who are the candidates for the RG spot? 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'd be somewhat surprised if he's a starter this season unless there's a rash of injuries, but who are the candidates for the RG spot? 

Wyatt Teller, who improved the spot quite a bit when he joined us.  That said, Ellen Degeneres could have improved it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I know there has been complaints that OLinemen in the last decade have struggled coming into the NFL even more than usual, because of the offenses most colleges run. 

Way too many expect Olineman to hold blocks forever.  

the problem last year was just as much if not more to the fact that we had a brain dead play caller and a QB that held the ball too long.  

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Well, Hubbard has been signed on as depth.  I'm not sure how much that counts however.

Well.... he did start in front of someone. :) So there's that...

12 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Way too many expect Olineman to hold blocks forever.  

the problem last year was just as much if not more to the fact that we had a brain dead play caller and a QB that held the ball too long.  

Yeah, the OLine last season wasn't good, but it was nowhere as bad as Mayfield apologists tried to make it. 

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yeah, the OLine last season wasn't good, but it was nowhere as bad as Mayfield apologists tried to make it. 

But, the coaching, play calling WAS as bad as people tried to make it.  OL play suffered equally as bad as Baker did. 

If Stefanski et al are what we hope/expect him to be, you should see a vast improvement in Baker...and in the entire offense. 

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But, the coaching, play calling WAS as bad as people tried to make it.  OL play suffered equally as bad as Baker did. 

If Stefanski et al are what we hope/expect him to be, you should see a vast improvement in Baker...and in the entire offense. 

Yes, we are all very aware that you blame all that ailed the Browns in 2019 on Freddie Kitchens. 

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

blame all that ailed the Browns in 2019 on Freddie Kitchens. 

During the season, when most were blaming Freddie, I was not.  I mean, the players have to execute the play(s).  But after the season when it came out that after the first drive Freddie went way off script, I understood.  He started calling plays that they hadn't been rehearsing...so they were rusty on those plays...and thus some of 'em failed miserably.  Like, the other team wound up with the ball...or we had to punt.

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It actually wasn't. As a matter of fact  I saw many plays where the OL pass protected well and some where they really rush blocked in a solid manner.