THE BROWNS BOARD

Harrison Bryant

Ibleedbrown

TE from FAU. His highlight reel posted below. Based on just watching that the guy lined up all over the place. Seems to be comfortable catching passes in traffic too. Could be a real weapon in the future.

Stats n such:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/harrison-bryant-1.html

And a little reading material:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox8.com/sports/nfl-draft/browns-impressed-by-work-ethic-sure-hands-of-harrison-bryant/amp/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Like it, nice value pick... Won Mackey award as best TE in college football....   First non power 5 conference winner too... 

Has a team ever put a receiving corps of just TEs out on a field?    Put this guy,   Hooper, Njoku all out in patterns?   OK, not a home run offense, but perhaps a hell of a possession, keep the chains moving offense. 

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Has a team ever put a receiving corps of just TEs out on a field?    Put this guy,   Hooper, Njoku all out in patterns?   OK, not a home run offense, but perhaps a hell of a possession, keep the chains moving offense. 

I listened to Stefanski's post draft press conference, and he said a 3 TE set is something he'd consider.... At this point Bryant isn't a pure TE either- more a hybrid that can play in the slot....  

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Not feeling this pick at all...

I bet Harrison is thrilled your not feeling his prick ........................ oh sorry thought there was an r in there :)

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

really? I LOVE this pick ! He has the blue collar work ethic that Njoku needs to have, and is

a football player that I wish Njoku would become. I think you are thinking of another player - Hunter Bryant - of the Washington Huskies. If we had drafted him, I would agree with you. 4th round? he could turn out to be a steal. HUNTER Byrant, TE, btw, was picked up by Detroit as an UDFA.

https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZTSB&pc=MOZI&q=harrison+bryant+nfl+draft

Harrison Bryant
th?id=ALBUDB0FBB22252CC5DB60680F09FD0329
Drafted by Cleveland Browns (Round 4, Pick 9)
Player bio
Bryant had off-the-charts production for the Owls, as he led the nation's tight ends last season in receptions (65) and receiving yards (1,004), winning the John Mackey Award and earning unanimous All-America honors. He finished his four-year career with 148 catches for 2,137 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Bryant had a very strong week at the Senior Bowl, both receiving and blocking, then ran a solid 40-yard dash (4.73 seconds) at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Analysis
Bryant is a lanky, athletic H-back and big slot receiver candidate with the size, sticky hands and competitiveness to suggest his best football still lies ahead of him. Good initial quickness off the snap to challenge the seam. Emerging route-runner, altering his gait and exploding out of his breaks to create space. Good balance to sink his hips and turn back to the quarterback in one fluid, efficient motion. Possesses the frame to add another 10 pounds without a significant loss of quickness.
Despite showing well at the Senior Bowl, Bryant is more of a big receiver than a traditional all-purpose tight end. Smooth athlete with some suddenness out of his breaks, but lacks a true explosive element to his game. Pesky blocker but lacks initial pop or sustaining power at this time. Production was inflated by scheme, which gets him in space for easy receptions.
PRO COMPARISONMyCole Pruitt, Tennessee Titans -- Bryant is taller than the 6-2, 245-pound Pruitt, but he is facing a similar challenge to prove he belongs with the big boys, as Pruitt did after leaving Southern Illinois.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think you may come around? Yeah, Maybe a half round to high when taken? but a round later than most had projected..This kid won the Mackey Award in 19 in a tiny school of FAU.. under the only coach that could possibly put FAU on the college football map..Lane Kiffin..they hung 40 points on almost everyone since 2017..Kiffin got the best of this kid & I'd say Stef has more than those kind of coaching tools on staff. Even Butch Davis has put a small Florida team on the map.. Getting to the pro's, with these kind of former pro coaches backgrounds could make it easier on guys like HB.. Watch this kids tape walking in raw as hell into Kiffin's system...than watch when the kid got schooled to blow up in 2019.. Berry's team had to of saw the upside growing up in this pick 

• Upvote 1

Looks like he will mesh well with Baker.  

I see good routes And great hands but I also see a lot of play breakdown and QB scrambling and he gets to spots or redirects his route and makes tough catches.  This was actually my one criticism of OBJ last year.  He appeared to quit on plays and I don’t see that with this kid.

I'll stipulate the "blue-collar", want-to is there, but in this TE class a 4th-round selection with an award doesn't carry much weight.

His highlight package is a bunch of scheme-induced, busted coverages against 2nd-tier FBS schools.

His Combine 40-time is fine... 'bout the same as Hoop's albeit at 12# lighter... but his 3-cone isn't and his arm-length is in gator territory. So I see a guy who can't separate, can't high-point and can't ever block, even if he gets stronger.

Add it up and I just don't see it... but I'm going to look at game tape and will hope I'm wrong. Til then... and likely into the season... color me "skeptical".

image.png.c8769a0b6ac8fdf35d41c293a35a8629.pngimage.png.217ae9d624371e347b1d728c81d2723b.png

While I know Combine ain't everything... especially after 2 seasons of disappointment... Lordy, Lordy how Njoku does stand out.

image.png.968f1f195f08fdacfc0e083404957746.png

Large enough for you, Orion? ;)

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

His highlight package is a bunch of scheme-induced, busted coverages

Not for nothin', but that's true of so many receiver highlight reels.  I see clips of receivers slowing down and waiting for the pass as if it was a punt...and catch it with nobody around them.  That's not gonna happen in the pros.  I think Donovan P-J is gonna find life in the pros quite difficult.

I noted this in the main thread, but I work at FAU and advised Harrison albeit briefly. Firstly, super nice young man. Always on time and humble. Trust me, that’s not what a lot of college kids are today.

more importantly, I went to about 4 ish games (tailgated essentially a whole game so I suppose that doesn’t count). You guys do a way better job than I do about the prospect stuff, so I won’t disagree.

BUT, here’s what I saw watching the dude play. Firstly, he was THE dude defenses schemed for. Our running game took a big hit with both motor singletary and his backup both going to the NFL last year. He was constantly shadowed by CB 1 and doubled. Secondly, QB play was well below par. There were so many wounded ducks we coulda started a sanctuary. 

other thing is that it was just obvious he was the best player on the field. That’s hard to explain but it’s just true. For a 4th round pick, I dig it.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Add it up and I just don't see it... but I'm going to look at game tape and will hope I'm wrong. Til then... and likely into the season... color me "skeptical".

I had trouble finding a full game cut up, which is what l set out to find in my 5 minutes or so of furious internet research. I think them’s the breaks on the smaller school prospects though. I didn’t have much luck finding film on Drew Forbes last year either. 

19 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

I noted this in the main thread, but I work at FAU and advised Harrison albeit briefly. Firstly, super nice young man. Always on time and humble. Trust me, that’s not what a lot of college kids are today.

more importantly, I went to about 4 ish games (tailgated essentially a whole game so I suppose that doesn’t count). You guys do a way better job than I do about the prospect stuff, so I won’t disagree.

BUT, here’s what I saw watching the dude play. Firstly, he was THE dude defenses schemed for. Our running game took a big hit with both motor singletary and his backup both going to the NFL last year. He was constantly shadowed by CB 1 and doubled. Secondly, QB play was well below par. There were so many wounded ducks we coulda started a sanctuary. 

other thing is that it was just obvious he was the best player on the field. That’s hard to explain but it’s just true. For a 4th round pick, I dig it.

I knew I'd run out of 👍 & thanks... but this gets a gold star 🌟 thanks for your inside honest opinions

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

Good stuff... here's hoping I tell you that you had it right.

And I had a thank you left for you... that i gave before I read gumby the spendthrift's post... ;)

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

Great post and if we are going to make excuses for DPJ (poor QB) let’s apply it here too. 

I see a nice 3rd down security blanket move the chain WR here. 

29 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Great post and if we are going to make excuses for DPJ (poor QB)

As if making objective observations is the same as making excuses...

Puh'leeze...

Disagree if you like, but stop short of being disagreeable...

... or I shall dub thee... Gipper, Jr.

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Puh'leeze...

Better than being Tour the King of Poltroonia II.   No one is more disagreeable than Tour..... he just tries to be so obfuscatious  about it. So passive-aggressive. So....dishonestly craven. 

At least with me you know where you stand. 

34 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Puh'leeze...

Maybe you should listen to people with JDs or at least follow the logic better ;) 

8 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Maybe you should listen to people with JDs or at least follow the logic better ;) 

lol...

Wait... What?

Not you, too... 😮

4 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I can neither confirm nor deny.  
Anyway, I’m Admittedly too biased in the DPJ discussion. I’m recusing myself 

lol... OK... no, G Jr.

I mean I don't want to be sued...

And bias is fine... at least as long as it is recognized. None here for FAU...UM? Against if anything, but he's a Brown now...

Hell... I'd have even taken TB12... :)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... OK... no, G Jr.

I mean I don't want to be sued...

And bias is fine... at least as long as it is recognized. None here for FAU...UM? Against if anything, but he's a Brown now...

Hell... I'd have even taken TB12... :)

What do you mean-  I was going to wear the title Gip Jr. like a badge of honor.  

im new here I’m just tying to fit in 

Thanks all-happy to share.

Having a 4 month old in a global pandemic meant way less draft research but I like what he brings to the table. From what I know about him personally he’s also going to be very open to getting coached up. I love those types of guys (Does joe schobert ring a bell) 4th round or later.

46 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Having a 4 month old in a global pandemic meant way less draft research but I like what he brings to the table

Your kid waits tables?

To my eyes, Bryant is tall but not big...probably not the best blocker.  He doesn't appear special in any way except that he catches the ball....which, of course, is quite important.  I'm thinking we might keep 4 TE's on the roster.