Jump to content
MLD Woody

Donovan Peoples-Jones

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

(you may have heard of Bowling Green University"  and Kentucky.....Bowling Green KY  actually being where my Dad is from.    (and also  fyi....where the Corvette is produced).

I actually had a cousin who worked at the plant there.....and he was killed in an industrial accident while on the job. 

I never heard of Bowling Green University, but I know the Corvette, so that's interesting. RIP your cousin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nero said:

I never heard of Bowling Green University, but I know the Corvette, so that's interesting. RIP your cousin. 

Urban Meyer started his head coaching career at Bowling Green.  

The Harbaugh family got their start at Bowling Green.  The dad, Jack, a college football coach is a BG grad.  Also, some Olympians you may have heard of:   Scott Hamilton (ice skater),  Dave Wottle. 

Orel Hershiser  (you probably do not know)   Superior baseball pitcher. 

Ric Ocasek from the band The Cars

Actor Tim Conway.    Actress Eva Marie Saint  (North by Northwest)

It is a MAC school rival of  Akron U/Kent st. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave Wottle,  one of our most notable Olympians in history:

He married a girl that was a year ahead of us  (me/WSS) in high school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

EVRERYTHING you say about fucking soccer is opinionated Rubbish. 

Right...your point is no point at all.  

Average attendance at  34 soccer games like 21,000.   Average baseball attendence for a game where they play 162 games was  over 28,000.   Both sports actually had declines in attendance in 2019......except Soccer had a bigger percentage of decline.   (baseball problem with this decline was primarily attributable to  the Miami two Florida market.  TB and Miami.  It just is not working there for some reason, though you would think it would because of the big Hispanic population)

Yeah- average attendance figures. When back in the suck years, the Indians struggled many times to draw 1,000 fans to a game, unless they gave away nickel beer. Miami should try that.   :)  

Your point is when someone presents some facts at how lousy the "former" National pastime is doing, you conveniently change the subject. 

I wasn't talking about soccer vis a vis baseball. I'm talking- and Woody backed it up, only a small minority of Americans now consider baseball their favorite spot, and my nursing home comment stands. If the average age of MLB fans is 57, well count my 91 year old Mom in that group. Or you miss it that the under 18 crowd to a large part could care less about baseball? 

Just face it Gipper- the interest in baseball is decreasing, and the interest in soccer is increasing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yeah- average attendance figures. When back in the suck years, the Indians struggled many times to draw 1,000 fans to a game, unless they gave away nickel beer. Miami should try that.   :)  

Your point is when someone presents some facts at how lousy the "former" National pastime is doing, you conveniently change the subject. 

I didn't change the subject.  I just dispute your opinion.  But I can't deny that it is your opinion.

I wasn't talking about soccer vis a vis baseball. I'm talking- and Woody backed it up, only a small minority of Americans now consider baseball their favorite spot, and my nursing home comment stands. If the average age of MLB fans is 57, well count my 91 year old Mom in that group. Or you miss it that the under 18 crowd to a large part could care less about baseball? 

Just face it Gipper- the interest in baseball is decreasing, and the interest in soccer is increasing. 

Well then...WHY per the stats that I put up above.....did soccer universally have a decrease in attendance in 2019 compared to 2018....far more of a decrease than did baseball? 

You want facts, you want stats....there they are.  Perhaps for a decade there soccer had made some gains....but that is apparently gonzo.  (and that was even in a year when the US women won the World Cup).  

Edit:   actually, something went FUBAR with this site.  I had pasted a whole series of attendance stats for MLS, but somehow the site ditched it when I posted.   I have been having some serious connectivity issues with my wifi here.  I will have to look those back up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here they are:

Team 2019 average
attendance
2018 average
attendance
Percent
change
Stadium Capacity
(unrestricted)
Percent
capacity
Atlanta United FC 52,510 53,002 −0.9% Mercedes-Benz Stadium* 42,500 (at least 72,035) 123.6% (72.9%)
Seattle Sounders FC 40,247 40,641 −1.0% CenturyLink Field* 39,419 (69,000) 102.1% (58.3%)
FC Cincinnati 27,336 N/A N/A Nippert Stadium* 32,250 (40,000) 84.8% (68.3%)
Portland Timbers 25,218 21,114 +19.3%[a] Providence Park 25,218 100%
Toronto FC 25,048 26,628 −5.9% BMO Field 30,991 80.8%
LA Galaxy 23,205 24,444 −5.1% Dignity Health Sports Park 27,000 85.9%
Orlando City SC 22,761 23,866 −4.6% Exploria Stadium
25,500 89.3% Los Angeles FC 22,251 22,042 +0.9% Banc of California Stadium 22,000 101.1% New York City FC 21,107 23,211 −9.1% Yankee Stadium* 30,321 (47,422) 69.6% (44.5%) Minnesota United FC 19,723 23,902 −17.5%[c] Allianz Field 19,400 101.7% Vancouver Whitecaps FC 19,514 21,946 −11.1% BC Place* 22,120 (54,500) 99.2% (40.3%) San Jose Earthquakes 18,781 19,032 –1.3% Avaya Stadium[d][e] 18,000 94.3% Sporting Kansas City 18,601 19,950 –6.8% Children's Mercy Park 18,467 100.7% Real Salt Lake 18,121 18,605 –2.6% Rio Tinto Stadium 20,213 89.7% D.C. United 17,744 17,635 +0.6% Audi Field 20,000 88.7% New York Red Bulls 17,281 18,601 −7.1% Red Bull Arena 25,000 69.1% Philadelphia Union 17,111 16,518 +3.6% Talen Energy Stadium[f] 18,500 92.5% New England Revolution 16,737 18,347 −8.8% Gillette Stadium* 20,000 (65,878) 83.7% (25.4%) Montreal Impact 16,171 18,569 –12.9% Saputo Stadium 20,801 77.7% Houston Dynamo 15,874 16,906 −6.1% BBVA Stadium[g] 22,039 72% Columbus Crew 14,856 12,447 +19.4% Mapfre Stadium 19,968 74.4% FC Dallas 14,842 15,512 −4.3% Toyota Stadium 20,500 72.4% Colorado Rapids 14,284 15,333 −6.8% Dick's Sporting Goods Park 18,061 79.1% Chicago Fire 12,324 14,806 −16.8% SeatGeek Stadium 20,000 61.6%
So....good on Portland....who has  the former Akron U HC as their HC,  and Columbus... Jimmy Haslams team .which are the only teams that had more than a slight increase in attendance.   18 out of 23 had decreases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Here they are:

Team 2019 average
attendance
2018 average
attendance
Percent
change
Stadium Capacity
(unrestricted)
Percent
capacity
Atlanta United FC 52,510 53,002 −0.9% Mercedes-Benz Stadium* 42,500 (at least 72,035) 123.6% (72.9%)
Seattle Sounders FC 40,247 40,641 −1.0% CenturyLink Field* 39,419 (69,000) 102.1% (58.3%)
FC Cincinnati 27,336 N/A N/A Nippert Stadium* 32,250 (40,000) 84.8% (68.3%)
Portland Timbers 25,218 21,114 +19.3%[a] Providence Park 25,218 100%
Toronto FC 25,048 26,628 −5.9% BMO Field 30,991 80.8%
LA Galaxy 23,205 24,444 −5.1% Dignity Health Sports Park 27,000 85.9%
Orlando City SC 22,761 23,866 −4.6% Exploria Stadium

25,500 89.3% Los Angeles FC 22,251 22,042 +0.9% Banc of California Stadium 22,000 101.1% New York City FC 21,107 23,211 −9.1% Yankee Stadium* 30,321 (47,422) 69.6% (44.5%) Minnesota United FC 19,723 23,902 −17.5%[c] Allianz Field 19,400 101.7% Vancouver Whitecaps FC 19,514 21,946 −11.1% BC Place* 22,120 (54,500) 99.2% (40.3%) San Jose Earthquakes 18,781 19,032 –1.3% Avaya Stadium[d][e] 18,000 94.3% Sporting Kansas City 18,601 19,950 –6.8% Children's Mercy Park 18,467 100.7% Real Salt Lake 18,121 18,605 –2.6% Rio Tinto Stadium 20,213 89.7% D.C. United 17,744 17,635 +0.6% Audi Field 20,000 88.7% New York Red Bulls 17,281 18,601 −7.1% Red Bull Arena 25,000 69.1% Philadelphia Union 17,111 16,518 +3.6% Talen Energy Stadium[f] 18,500 92.5% New England Revolution 16,737 18,347 −8.8% Gillette Stadium* 20,000 (65,878) 83.7% (25.4%) Montreal Impact 16,171 18,569 –12.9% Saputo Stadium 20,801 77.7% Houston Dynamo 15,874 16,906 −6.1% BBVA Stadium[g] 22,039 72% Columbus Crew 14,856 12,447 +19.4% Mapfre Stadium 19,968 74.4% FC Dallas 14,842 15,512 −4.3% Toyota Stadium 20,500 72.4% Colorado Rapids 14,284 15,333 −6.8% Dick's Sporting Goods Park 18,061 79.1% Chicago Fire 12,324 14,806 −16.8% SeatGeek Stadium 20,000 61.6%

So....good on Portland....who has  the former Akron U HC as their HC,  and Columbus... Jimmy Haslams team .which are the only teams that had more than a slight increase in attendance.   18 out of 23 had decreases. 

OK, but I'm not talking the here and now, trends anyone?  Don't have a crystal ball, but it's going to be interesting 10 years from now where the sports (baseball and soccer) respectively are. I probably won't be around to continue the discussion....  

I'll expect another huge bump in 6 years with the United States along with Canada and Mexico hosting the World Cup. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is still going... 😀

You ever notice that soccer fan always goes after baseball, when the sports have nothing to do with each other?

If anything, soccer is more comparable to football, basketball or hockey.

And those sports are far superior. Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

This is still going... 😀

You ever notice that soccer fan always goes after baseball, when the sports have nothing to do with each other?

If anything, soccer is more comparable to football, basketball or hockey.

And those sports are far superior. Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it. 

Well, that is why basketball was always the "City game".   You just needed a ball, and the city parks were there with the  court.  And you didn't need the room for a field like you do with baseball/football/even soccer. \

(also....they fail to mention that the popularity of lacrosse has encroached on their soccer love,  at least in certain parts of the country....including NE Ohio)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mods....Close this...PLEASE!!!!

Mike

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Canton Mike said:

Mods....Close this...PLEASE!!!!

Mike

Why?  You never know where else this thing might take us!    From a  6th round WR from Michigan to soccer  (blame Dutch)....to what you call your  front lawn  to lacrosse.

That reminds me....the native American population has been one of the worst hit populations of the coronavirus, you know.

And is calling it "Yellow Fever" racist?

And did you know that one of the guys that most prominently studied Yellow Fever was the Dr. that treated John Wilkes Booth's leg after  hurting himself jumping  from the balcony after shooting Lincoln?  He was really only doing his duty as a physician by treated an injured person, but they charged him in the conspiracy, and it was while he was in prison in the Dry Tortugas at Fort Jefferson that he did his studies on yellow fever.  He was eventually pardoned.  But his name was Samuel Mudd.  And today when you say that somebody's name if Mud, you are not actually referring to the water/dirt soluble combination, but are referring to Dr. Samuel Mudd. 

Speaking of assassins....I hear that John Hinkley who shot Reagan is out of confinement.   Should he be?   

Speaking of John Hinkley....that reminds me that  SNL regular Kate McKinnon does a great job at imitating  Jodie Foster.  She does a great job  imitating a lot of people....including   Pennywise,  Justin Beiber and Kelly Ann Conway.  What a talented person.  

Speaking of Saturday Night Live, do you think Alec Baldwin gets paid for his portrayals of Trump on that show, or does he just do it for the love of making fun of the guy.  

Speaking of Alec Baldwin, I liked him best on The Hunt for Red October.

Do you think that we will have a Red October with a second wave of the Coronavirus?  I hope not.  

Now, what were we talking about?   

Oh, yea......Donovan Peoples-Jones.

Do you think he will be our  Sunshine Superman?   Or play like he is Mellow Yello? 

Speaking of Yellow....do you think calling it Yellow Fever is racist?

Or, wait...did we already cover this ground? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

 Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it. 

and baseball's comes from nursing homes

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it. 

And/or as Zombo would say:  from gays because soccer is gay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
🤓
2
3 hours ago, hoorta said:

 

I wasn't talking about soccer vis a vis baseball. I'm talking- and Woody backed it up, only a small minority of Americans now consider baseball their favorite spot, and my nursing home comment stands. If the average age of MLB fans is 57, well count my 91 year old Mom in that group. Or you miss it that the under 18 crowd to a large part could care less about baseball? 

Just face it Gipper- the interest in baseball is decreasing, and the interest in soccer is increasing. 

 

Exactly. I was providing evidence and making the point that baseball popularity is falling. Not comparing it to soccer in any way. But Gip realizes changing it to that comparison is his best chance to "win" the argument.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

This is still going... 😀

You ever notice that soccer fan always goes after baseball, when the sports have nothing to do with each other?

If anything, soccer is more comparable nd those sports are far superior. Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it. 

My ass is far superior than your brain. 

Soccer is more popular (no "",it's a fact) worldwide because as you said it's easier to play. Also, basketball almost is quite affordable and hasn't reached soccer levels. Soccer came first and became most popular sport, with the most competition. If you want to be among the best soccer players r, you compete with many more millions of people than in any other sport. 

If we had to name a sport "superior", which is a stupid adjective because there's only opinion after that, it should be soccer. 

I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american". 

I sincerely don't care if soccer surpasses baseball or not, and I don't enjoy that younger generations play soccer instead of football. The US has different sports than many other countries and it's fine, that's what makes you different. But turning against the most followed sport in the world and constantly insulting it (I don't care if you don't like it, I barely follow it nowadays) or calling it a "lesser (correct adjective?) sport" makes people look like stupid red, blue and white Uncle Sams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nero said:

My ass is far superior than your brain. 

Soccer is more popular (no "",it's a fact) worldwide because as you said it's easier to play. Also, basketball almost is quite affordable. Soccer came first and became most popular sport, with the most competition. If you want to be among the best football player, you compete with many more millions of people than in any other sport. 

If we had to name a sport "superior", which is a stupid adjective because there's only opinion after that, it should be soccer. 

I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some peoole go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simoly because it's not "american". 

Soccer is not gay and boring because it is not American. (It was more or less invented by the Ancient Chinese...though I think it was Britain that created it in its current configuration.)   But  Soccer is gay and boring because it is gay and boring.  (gay being used in the "weak or lame" meaning of the word)      The British Empire exported it during the 1800s because, well, that is what the British Empire did:  exploit peoples of other lands and enforce their culture upon them.  While they did that a lot certainly with US.....we threw off those bonds through Revolution, and yea, we began our own brands of sport...though, yea, some of them derived from British sports  (Rounders:  baseball,  rugby: football).   But we vastly improved upon them.    There can be American sports that are gay and boring.  NASCAR racing is to me not just gay and boring....but terribly pointless. 

But  it certainly is not by any means "superior" to any other sport inherently.    

Ice hockey...which IS essentially the same game.....(and is by no means American....ask Canada).... is a  more beautiful sport...in my opinion  (I guess it depends on what you mean by superior).  The field of play is pretty much the same exact configuration just smaller in dimension and a different playing surface.    It is  Faster, with the same/similar  strategies in terms of setting up to attack a goal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

and baseball's comes from nursing homes

And when I go to a nursing home to converse with fellow baseball fans, I'll ask them if they can tell me stories about when Michigan had a quality football team. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nero said:

I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american". 

I don't call things "gay" to insult them because I don't think of "gay" as being a negative. My knuckles do not drag on the ground when I walk. 

Soccer is boring because it is boring, IMO. If it was invented by George Washington as he ate a piece of apple pie while crossing the Potomac it wouldn't make it one iota more interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nero said:

I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american". 

Of course there's some of that.  But even more than that it's because many of us 'older' Americans didn't play it at all as kids....or watch it....or nothin'.

To me, soccer and hockey are the same...with hockey being a smaller, more brutal version.  And quite frankly, I can't watch either of them.  It's a whole lot of back and forth with never any points being scored.

Having said that, I do understand that the most popular sport in the world is soccer.  It's just that it doesn't matter to me that it's popular. 

....just for the record, I kinda' like the nickname 'Peeps'.  :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Orion said:

....just for the record, I kinda' like the nickname 'Peeps'.  :)

I think this thread alone is cause for him to forever be known as "Peeps" 😄

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peoples Jones is certainly a man for the PeePs....includes soccer, baseball, football, hockey, Nero's empty gardens(johnny), gays, not gays, Nascar... let's keep this thing rollin for the Peeps...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't call things "gay" to insult them because I don't think of "gay" as being a negative. My knuckles do not drag on the ground when I walk. 

Soccer is boring because it is boring, IMO. If it was invented by George Washington as he ate a piece of apple pie while crossing the Potomac it wouldn't make it one iota more interesting. 

Only from your POV. And I totally respect the fact a lot of the old (or not so old) fuddy duddies think soccer is monumentally boring. The other side of the coin is by the same token, plenty of folks tune into a baseball game when they need to take a nap, it's so freaking boring. 

I've said it before- I played competitive tennis for years on the collegiate level, and 90% of the time I can barely stand to tune into a Grand Slam Tournament for lack of interest. And trust me- I know exactly what those guys are trying to do. To parallel Gip's analogy- every time a ball gets hit on a tennis court  there's a chance for a spectacular shot. Yawn....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't call things "gay" to insult them because I don't think of "gay" as being a negative. My knuckles do not drag on the ground when I walk. 

What a concept, right? Gip's like a middle school kid from 15 years ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

What a concept, right? Gip's like a middle school kid from 15 years ago

This doesn't just apply to him on this board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nero said:

I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american". 

Team America!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Team America!

 

Great movie. Watched it as a kid with my friends and we had a blast. I couldn't stop laughing when Matt Damon talked. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×