THE BROWNS BOARD

Donovan Peoples-Jones

MLD Woody

56 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I will say without reservation that no Cleveland sports player ever had Cleveland sports fans back like a former TTUN player... 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2015/11/why_steve_everitt_and_cleveland_browns_fans.html

no guilt here...still own the jersey...2 everitt charity bandanas & original Plains Dealer article in the scrapbook.. at the time, Steve was the guy the media wanted on the podium..

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I'd also imagine the Spanish version of "really bad at soccer" is still above average in the States haha. 

Could be. I have a brother who is not good at soccer either (but has a lot of athleticism and can run for hours) and when he went to Texas in 2012 he said he was one of the best on the field. He is better than I am, but that story tells you a lot about average play level. 

6 hours ago, Nero said:

Could be. I have a brother who is not good at soccer either (but has a lot of athleticism and can run for hours) and when he went to Texas in 2012 he said he was one of the best on the field. He is better than I am, but that story tells you a lot about average play level. 

Well if he had just used an oblong ball here it would have been a different story.🏈🤠

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well if he had just used an oblong ball here it would have been a different story.🏈🤠

Of course. We don't know how to throw a baseball or a oblong ball. I know the theory, but I don't have a garden, so I can't practise throwing the football in my freetime. 

Just now, Nero said:

Of course. We don't know how to throw a baseball or a oblong ball. I know the theory, but I don't have a garden, so I can't practise throwing the football in my freetime. 

No baseball in Spain?

Well in your colonies of the new world it ranks right up there with futbol! Especially Dominican Republic and Venezuela.😁

20 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

No baseball in Spain?

Well in your colonies of the new world it ranks right up there with futbol! Especially Dominican Republic and Venezuela.😁

There's baseball in Spain, but it is marginal sport, so I would say most of us don't even know how to throw a baseball. 

3 hours ago, Nero said:

Why would you want to tromp all over your vegetables and flowers by playing in your garden?   Use the lawn in your back yard. 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Why would you want to tromp all over your vegetables and flowers by playing in your garden?   Use the lawn in your back yard. 

Lol, I meant lawn. I don't have one hah. And here we call it what would be translated into "garden". 

3 hours ago, Nero said:

There's baseball in Spain, but it is marginal sport, so I would say most of us don't even know how to throw a baseball. 

Well, maybe that is good for the health of your nation, because one thing is certainly true about throwing a baseball.   It is an unnatural motion that puts a ton of stress on the elbow and shoulder.  And it leads to many injuries in those areas of the body. 

Just now, Nero said:

Lol, I meant lawn. I don't have one hah. And here we call it what would be translated into "garden". 

You mean the Spanish word for "lawn"  translates to "garden"?  What is that word? 

Also....then...as a non-Akronite  I won't disclose to you what a devil strip is. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

No it was 100% a guess. I'd never heard of the term until you said it. I just used context clues....

Or, maybe  it was in the back of your mind somewhere, and when it was mentioned here it slipped to the front of your mind. 

Nevertheless....as noted,  it was pretty much exclusively and Akron thing because,   aren't you originally from like a Cleveland area suburb?  And you say you have never heard of it.      So, it was not a Cleveland thing, or Columbus or elsewhere.   (however, I do think that someone....here or elsewhere, like on Facebook, said they were from Toledo and that the term was used there some).

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Devil's Strip

38 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You mean the Spanish word for "lawn"  translates to "garden"?  What is that word? 

Also....then...as a non-Akronite  I won't disclose to you what a devil strip is. 

No. I mean that when we talk about the lawn we usually call it "jardín", which translates to garden. We simplify it by using that therm, no matter if it has flowers making it an actual garden or not. "lawn" translates to "césped" and is a term we use more specific contexts. For example in football. Like, you know, real football ;)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Or, maybe  it was in the back of your mind somewhere, and when it was mentioned here it slipped to the front of your mind. 

Nevertheless....as noted,  it was pretty much exclusively and Akron thing because,   aren't you originally from like a Cleveland area suburb?  And you say you have never heard of it.      So, it was not a Cleveland thing, or Columbus or elsewhere.   (however, I do think that someone....here or elsewhere, like on Facebook, said they were from Toledo and that the term was used there some).

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Devil's Strip

Correct, Cleveland suburbs. That's why I use tree lawn 

14 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

That's why I use tree lawn 

Which makes about as much sense sense as utility runs where I grew up meant no trees could be planted there.

Although, come to think of it, in old neighborhoods like Grandma and Grandpa Tour's in Brooklyn, Ohio... there were huge tree-lawn trees busting up sidewalks and busting out curbs...

1 hour ago, Nero said:

No. I mean that when we talk about the lawn we usually call it "jardín", which translates to garden. We simplify it by using that therm, no matter if it has flowers making it an actual garden or not. "lawn" translates to "césped" and is a term we use more specific contexts. For example in football. Like, you know, real football ;)

I have never heard the term "lawn" used in regard to either football or soccer.  In football it is a "field" in soccer I have seen "pitch" used. (not sure how that particular reference came about).    Only time I have heard "lawn" used is in tennis, when they play it on grass, like Wimbledon.  I think maybe they use "lawn" in croquet as well. 

58 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Which makes about as much sense sense as utility runs where I grew up meant no trees could be planted there.

Although, come to think of it, in old neighborhoods like Grandma and Grandpa Tour's in Brooklyn, Ohio... there were huge tree-lawn trees busting up sidewalks and busting out curbs...

I know in some areas  the "tree lawns"  do in fact have trees.  Sometimes devil strips can be very wide, others very narrow.  Mine is about average, but no trees.  Street lamps, yes.  And, to me  Devil strip is the natural term.   Saying tree lawn to me is an un-natural as calling my yard a "garden". :D

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I have never heard the term "lawn" used in regard to either football or soccer.  In football it is a "field" in soccer I have seen "pitch" used. (not sure how that particular reference came about).    Only time I have heard "lawn" used is in tennis, when they play it on grass, like Wimbledon.  I think maybe they use "lawn" in croquet as well. 

I am talking about the use of the term in the Spanish language, so it makes sense you haven't heard it used in regard to soccer. We use the term to say that the lawn of the field is higher or smaller, wet or dry. 

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

I am talking about the use of the term in the Spanish language, so it makes sense you haven't heard it used in regard to soccer. We use the term to say that the lawn of the field is higher or smaller, wet or dry. 

OK, well, for  me that seems a bit weird. We would say "the grass"  in those instances.      As In:  "the grass in your front lawn is getting high....you need to get your mower out.

It sounds like for the same sentence you might say "the lawn in your front garden is getting high....you need to put your goat to work"!!!!  :lol:

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

OK, well, for  me that seems a bit weird. We would say "the grass"  in those instances.      As In:  "the grass in your front lawn is getting high....you need to get your mower out.

It sounds like for the same sentence you might say "the lawn in your front garden is getting high....you need to put your goat to work"!!!!  :lol:

That's the way we use the term lawn. We use "césped" which in English would be closer to "grass" than to "lawn".

https://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=lawn

https://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=césped

8 minutes ago, Nero said:

Interesting that they referred to  a "bowling lawn".   It must have some reference to the sport we know as bowling once being played in parks on grass.  While I don't recall that ever being a thing in my lifetime....there are actually a few towns around America called "Bowling Green".....most notably here in Ohio  (you may have heard of Bowling Green University"  and Kentucky.....Bowling Green KY  actually being where my Dad is from.    (and also  fyi....where the Corvette is produced).

I actually had a cousin who worked at the plant there.....and he was killed in an industrial accident while on the job.