THE BROWNS BOARD

Donovan Peoples-Jones

MLD Woody

21 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

As much crap I give our soccer-loving members here, it's all in good fun, especially for our European Browns brothers. 

It isn't my cup of tea, but if I were to go over to Europe and someone said "Hey, want to catch the big rivalry soccer game this afternoon" you bet your ass I would, even if just for the atmosphere. Hell, I even watched Italy win the World Cup a dozen years ago.

Baseball is better, but some people grew up in Ohio but are TTUN fans, so bad taste knows no borders. 😉

Well, I was born in the same town as their most beloved HC in history....and from whence came a couple of their top RBs in history:  Billy Taylor and Larry Ricks...whose Dad Leon is a friend of mine;  Plus a top OC in Mike Peresta.  Also on the basketball side, we gave them the Bodnar twins, one of whom became the UM associate athletic director.  He had been tapped to be the Executive Director of the Barberton Community Foundation, but political Bullshit got in the way there.  Now I think he practices law in Ann Arbor. 

25 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Hey if I want to watch nothing happen for a few hours I'll go to an Indians game. 

I'm just kidding... No one there is actually watching the game

And it is even worse at a soccer game.  Why do you think they are always singing?  In order not to be bored out of their minds and to give themselves something to do.  

Let's not talk soccer.  It's a big, popular sport, I know.....but I just cannot watch it.  It puts me to sleep.  Kick ball....run after it....ball gets kicked....run the other way.  Sorry, that's what it is to me.  -  My son (when he was little) played soccer one year.  One game I was supposed to be there early to set up the field.  I had to draw the center circle.  I never played fucking soccer.  I was a basketball player.   I drew a circle about the size of the jump ball circle.  lol

OK  well....back to the rivalry.      

Ohio State will likely have two of the best WRs returning:   Olave and Wilson.    FMU will have Bell.       Ohio State will have a Heisman contending QB.   What will Michigan have? 

And back to the thread:

What does anyone think that Peeps will bring that will elevate him above the likes of Damon Ratley or Tywan Taylor...or   ??? Hodges?

26 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

OK  well....back to the rivalry.      

Ohio State will likely have two of the best WRs returning:   Olave and Wilson.    FMU will have Bell.       Ohio State will have a Heisman contending QB.   What will Michigan have? 

And back to the thread:

What does anyone think that Peeps will bring that will elevate him above the likes of Damon Ratley or Tywan Taylor...or   ??? Hodges?

Ah, I see you're showing off your deep knowledge of all things football again by not even knowing about or mentioning our best WR that's returning. One that has literally been mentioned by others in this thread multiple times as being good and someone they'd be happy drafting. 

I'll give you this though, you do a hell of a job of exuding confidence and expertise on things you know little about. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

It isn't my cup of tea, but if I were to go over to Europe and someone said "Hey, want to catch the big rivalry soccer game this afternoon" you bet your ass I would, even if just for the atmosphere. Hell, I even watched Italy win the World Cup a dozen years ago.

Ditto... if I was across the pond. As for TV-watching... World Cups involving USA whenever on, but historically US women's teams more than men's because of their superior precision. Until recently USA men just looked like a collection of individuals.

Quick Story... business trip to Grangemouth, Scotland to visit my company's manufacturing facility there. My hosts booked me into a Best Western in a converted castle... neat place even if they did not reserve one of the higher-priced rooms physically in the castle. Anyway the 1st evening I was there was a Scotland vs. England match in a Cup qualifier IIRC.

The Hotel's bar was packed with fans... many in kilts... most of whom were members/attendees of a wedding party there for the reception. Even the bride was there. An attractive "lass" in a beautiful white dress. You think the Browns have rivalries??? The cheering was vicious. They did the garter thing at half-time.

Scotland hung tough for a good part of the game, but alas the joy of the wedding party was ultimately dashed, but it was a cool way to spend an evening.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh Christ, you've just guaranteed this two page thread will turn into a five page thread where LB, Nero and hoorta drone on about the greatness that is soccer with that last line. 

Someone needs to wack you with a rolled up newspaper sometimes... 🤣 Bad Gippet!

Like a Frickin’' soothsayer. 

• Haha 1

I’ll jump in. Not a soccer guy myself, but a buddy took me to a FC Cincinnati game a couple years ago when they were still a minor league club. 

The atmosphere was live, and l do mean LIVE. It was incredible, and in that one evening l think l finally “got it” why so many people get amped up over soccer.

True, there is not a lot of scoring compared to just about every other sport, but whenever that ball gets anywhere near a net, the tension builds into a fever pitch. So that’s pretty much it. The anticipation of scoring, whether a goal happens or not, is where the excitement is at. It’s almost like a warning track deep fly ball every time the ball is near the net. 

👕
5 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’ll jump in. Not a soccer guy myself, but a buddy took me to a FC Cincinnati game a couple years ago when they were still a minor league club. 

The atmosphere was live, and l do mean LIVE. It was incredible, and in that one evening l think l finally “got it” why so many people get amped up over soccer.

In a way that is why I enjoy College Football over the NFL. Nothing beats college gamedays

Sure, this is kind of a backhanded insult at Michigan... but hopefully Meyer's positive words regarding DPJ help ease some Buckeyes on this board.

I saw DPJ mocked much, much high many times. A ton of WRs came out this year and it caused many of them to drop until the value was too high. Same thing with KJ Hill. I saw a few calling him the best slot WR in the class and he went in the 7th. Teams knew they could get a WR later so they waited. That affected CeeDee Lamb on down. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Like a Frickin’' soothsayer. 

HEY! I was typing that earlier... had it 80% done when I had to break for "Big Sunday Breakfast"..

I wasn't gonna trash that work on Dutch's meanwhile say-so...

Yeah... I saw the "New replies" message after breakfast...

... but "veni vici posti"...

... Biatch...

56 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Ah, I see you're showing off your deep knowledge of all things football again by not even knowing about or mentioning our best WR that's returning. One that has literally been mentioned by others in this thread multiple times as being good and someone they'd be happy drafting. 

Who is "OUR"?   The Browns is OUR.     If OUR is your Michifailures...no, I don't keep up with them....because they are YOURs, not OURs...(besides...I DID mention Bell).  

But if you expect me to know every little loser on the Michigan roster....gee, you got me there.  I don't know every sorry sack of shit little fucking loser on the Michigan roster.  I do know a few fucking little loser Michigan fans.   Hello Woody. 

I'll give you this though, you do a hell of a job of exuding confidence and expertise on things you know little about. 

Well....since I know more about everything than you  (OK..you are probably better at math).....I exude confidence because I know more, and maybe I exude confidence when I don't know everything because I am a confident guy....not  a little loser. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Sure, this is kind of a backhanded insult at Michigan... but hopefully Meyer's positive words regarding DPJ help ease some Buckeyes on this board.

I saw DPJ mocked much, much high many times. A ton of WRs came out this year and it caused many of them to drop until the value was too high. Same thing with KJ Hill. I saw a few calling him the best slot WR in the class and he went in the 7th. Teams knew they could get a WR later so they waited. That affected CeeDee Lamb on down. 

Compliments from Urban are not to be taken lightly. This kid may be solid....We'll see.

Mike

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

HEY! I was typing that earlier... had it 80% done when I had to break for "Big Sunday Breakfast"..

I wasn't gonna trash that work on Dutch's meanwhile say-so...

Yeah... I saw the "New replies" message after breakfast...

... but "veni vici posti"...

... Biatch...

Great minds as they say

or is it.... Great minds as they say?

40 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Ditto... if I was across the pond. As for TV-watching... World Cups involving USA whenever on, but historically US women's teams more than men's because of their superior precision. Until recently USA men just looked like a collection of individuals.

Quick Story... business trip to Grangemouth, Scotland to visit my company's manufacturing facility there. My hosts booked me into a Best Western in a converted castle... neat place even if they did not reserve one of the higher-priced rooms physically in the castle. Anyway the 1st evening I was there was a Scotland vs. England match in a Cup qualifier IIRC.

The Hotel's bar was packed with fans... many in kilts... most of whom were members/attendees of a wedding party there for the reception. Even the bride was there. An attractive "lass" in a beautiful white dress. You think the Browns have rivalries??? The cheering was vicious. They did the garter thing at half-time.

Scotland hung tough for a good part of the game, but alas the joy of the wedding party was ultimately dashed, but it was a cool way to spend an evening.

I have been across the pond, and I had watched  soccer with some cousins of mine.  When  was in Ireland I watched hurley.   But, for the time I was there...just a bit over a week...it seemed that they were big into snooker. 

19 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh Christ, you've just guaranteed this two page thread will turn into a five page thread where LB, Nero and hoorta drone on about the greatness that is soccer with that last line. 

Someone needs to wack you with a rolled up newspaper sometimes... 🤣 Bad Gippet!

Wait a minute.....I am not the one that should be apologizing...YOU Are the one that brought up the whole soccer line.    All I said was that the Europeans may not aware of the best rivalry on the planet.  

So...you need to whip yourself with that newspaper.   Corporal Mortification is in line for you, Bub. 

20 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The problem is that in the course of 90 minutes...that excitement happens like only  5-10 times a game because they spend so little time attacking the goal. 

It is why all the other games that are basically soccer clones with some other venue:  (hockey, water polo ...even indoor soccer) are more exciting.  They spend more time attacking the goal. 

I've always stated that it is a different mindset. I have to switch the mindset when switching between sports. Between field goals, touchdowns, and punts, did you know that the latter is the most repeated play? It could be similar to your "little time attacking the goal". 

I like American Football better (I enjoy playing soccer, I barely watch lately), but what soccer is better than any other sport is in the excitement for the goal. There are not many goals, thus each one becomes more important. I have celebrated touchdowns, yeah, but it's not the same because any given play someone can score one. In American Football every play is a beautiful choreography and is spectacular, and I like it better because of that, but you also have countless of commercials that make the games unnecesarily longer. You spend 3 and a half hours, and 30min at most are actual gameplay. 50 are replays and the rest are ads. 

Oh, and I hate people falling in soccer constantly. I HATE IT. They prefer a faul instead of trying to keep playing. It's bad comedy how theatrical players have become from the 2000's onwards.

To each his own. I still find it ironic that people despise soccer over baseball when clearly the latter is the sport where less impact has each action. You play over a hundred games, with many innings each, and countless "at bats". 

I don't want to "convert" people to soccer because even I like American Football better, but I don't understand how, while still not liking it, people don't seee why soccer has so many fans. 

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

All I said was that the Europeans may not aware of the best rivalry on the planet. 

We have already discussed it in this forum, and you're wrong. I don't say it is not a good rivalry (I would love to watch Michigan-OSU in the stands), but your affirmation is very short sighted. 

But don't worry, I know you use this kind of sentences just to get us started and do your casual "Gipper 101130919 post rant" so I won't discuss it no more. 

Have a nice Sunday :) 

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Oh, and I hate people falling in soccer constantly.

It's called "taking a dive"... An old Philly Flyer (NHL) named Bill Barber made a career out of drawing tripping penalties on an opponent...

Story is pretty much the same in football and futball... to really appreciate the game you have to watch the game going on away from the ball. It's the way to see what's coming in either sport. Not easy to do, but rewarding.

1 minute ago, Nero said:

I've always stated that it is a different mindset. I have to switch the mindset when switching between sports. Between field goals, touchdowns, and punts, did you know that the latter is the most repeated play? It could be similar to your "little time attacking the goal". 

I like American Football better (I enjoy playing soccer, I barely watch lately), but what soccer is better than any other sport is in the excitement for the goal. There are not many goals, thus each one becomes more important. I have celebrated touchdowns, yeah, but it's not the same because any given play someone can score one. In American Football every play is a beautiful choreography and is spectacular, and I like it better because of that, but you also have countless of commercials that make the games unnecesarily longer. You spend 3 and a half hours, and 30min at most are actual gameplay. 50 are replays and the rest are ads. 

Oh, and I hate people falling in soccer constantly. I HATE IT. They prefer a faul instead of trying to keep playing. It's bad comedy how theatrical players have become from the 2000's onwards.

To each his own. I still find it ironic that people despise soccer over baseball when clearly the latter is the sport where less impact has each action. You play over a hundred games, with many innings each, and countless "at bats". 

I don't want to "convert" people to soccer because even I like American Football better, but I don't understand how, while still not liking it, people don't understand why soccer has so many fans. 

That shows you may  not comprehend baseball.  A couple of things:    1.  On every single pitch the potential exists for an exciting play....be it a home run, or extra base hit...or a spectacular defensive play...or  strike out.  Sure, not every single pitch has that....but every one has the potential for that.    2.  And every at bat is a "duel" between hitter and batter.  An intense dual, just not with  guns or swords.   (beyond that, I am not sure you expressed yourself properly:  "where less impact has each action" ?  I am not sure what you are trying to say here.   

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

We have already discussed it in this forum, and you're wrong. I don't say it is not a good rivalry (I would love to watch Michigan-OSU in the stands), but your affirmation is very short sighted. 

But don't worry, I know you use this kind of sentences just to get us started and do your casual "Gipper 101130919 post rant" so I won't discuss it no more. 

Have a nice Sunday :) 

My affirmation is right on the fucking money.   You are the  one that does not get it.  Fans being hooligans does not a rivalry make

And have a nice fuck off Sunday as well. 

@Nero you are correct that baseball is mostly a whole lot of nothing. One of a handful of things can happen each play. Not to mention its really barely a "team" sport, in the sense of how much teammates work together while on the "field". 

Also, high level women's soccer (USA, Canada, etc) has basically 0 flopping. They beat the shit out of each other. 

As a defender myself I can't stand players flopping. Of course you fell down when I D'd you up, you were twirling around and shit. 

9 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

@Nero you are correct that baseball is mostly a whole lot of nothing. One of a handful of things can happen each play. Not to mention its really barely a "team" sport, in the sense of how much teammates work together while on the "field". 

Yes.....precisely....one of a handful of things can happen on each play in baseball  and "each play"   being each pitch.......In soccer...NOTHING barely ever happens on ANY play. 

Also, high level women's soccer (USA, Canada, etc) has basically 0 flopping. They beat the shit out of each other. 

That is certainly true.  And you hope it stays that way. 

As a defender myself I can't stand players flopping. Of course you fell down when I D'd you up, you were twirling around and shit. 

Well...all things considered  I would think you would be the Queen  of Preening Pansies and that flopping would be your go to move.  But, if not...good on you. 

People :rolleyes:....Jones wood have a full head separation in a header in sock-car game(opps! match)..great leg length advanage in the cycle  kicks also :o.. one heck of a reach as a 1st baseman in baseball ..but not a chance that my brother can skate on a ice rink ⛸️,,,,how many 6'5" brothers you know that can skate except maybe on roller blades?

Gipper, go take a nice walk along a dude beach & calm the f' down.. 8 foot spacing maybe a good idea

7 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

People :rolleyes:....Jones wood have a full head separation in a header in sock-car game(opps! match)..great leg length advanage in the cycle  kicks also :o.. one heck of a reach as a 1st baseman in baseball ..but not a chance that my brother can skate on a ice rink ⛸️,,,,how many 6'5" brothers you know that can skate except maybe on roller blades?

Gipper, go take a nice walk along a dude beach & calm the f' down.. 8 foot spacing maybe a good idea

I am as calm as that sea breeze.  Really.   (you don't understand me if you think this upsets me...this is relaxing. ...this is just pure entertainment.   Now...litigation, that can upset my stomach...certainly not this)

And I am hopeful Peeps works out just fine....for US/OUR team.  The Browns.  

22 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

LMAO...

Just thought you should know...