THE BROWNS BOARD

Donovan Peoples-Jones

MLD Woody

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You need to go over to the polyboard then. They can't even read Braille yet.

The Tao says:    the way  forward is often to move backward.     But, even though The Way may have been  written in the Iron Age, I do not believe it contemplated a move back to the Stone Age,   where that entity often dwells. 

Besides, as I have said....discussions of that nature by me require compensation.   I would have to be like a dentist there:   if they want their teeth all pulled, they have to pay the fee. 

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

So are you going to tell me if your career is in law?

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I have a mortgage. That's a mature thing, right?

A.   Have you truly been that inattentive?  How many years have you been a patron of this board? Every other single person who has been here for more than a few months has known that.   That is as basic as knowing you went to some school with a mediocre engineering program. 

B. Not necessarily...it is just a debt thing.   How do I know?  From 40 years of practicing law and dealing with entire cadres of people who were immature yet still had mortgages. 

A1. Never saw it mentioned. And I think 8 years now? Something like that. 

Makes a lot of sense though. Engineers/STEM majors are trained to solve problems. You're trained to argue, but not actually fix anything (my biggest issue with politicians). Also why u hear we don't get picked to be jurors a lot.

A2. Lol... Mediocre 

B. I was mostly just joking. 

35 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

A1. Never saw it mentioned. And I think 8 years now? Something like that. 

Makes a lot of sense though. Engineers/STEM majors are trained to solve problems. You're trained to argue, but not actually fix anything (my biggest issue with politicians). Also why u hear we don't get picked to be jurors a lot.

You clearly have no fucking clue.   You might solve math problems, but when it comes to most real world problems.....human problems......there is usually a lawyer involved that either provides the solution, or negotiates the solution.  Name any kind of problem you think may exist...and who do people  often call to help resolve it? 

A2. Lol... Mediocre 

Well...Maybe they are ranked pretty high.  But in every  bag of gold there are a few pieces of pyrite.  Voila!

B. I was mostly just joking. 

But, in your joking you did hit on something.

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Name any kind of problem you think may exist...and who do people often call to help resolve it?

Electricians. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Or gunsmiths.🤣🤠

Well...about  63% of all gun deaths  are self inflicted suicides, and another 20% are where the gun owner is either killed by his own guy by a family member...or he/she kills another member of their own household.   So, OK, I can see where in a great number of instances a gunsmiths  contribution can be a "Final Solution"  to a person's problems.  

On 4/28/2020 at 11:34 AM, The Gipper said:

Or, maybe  it was in the back of your mind somewhere, and when it was mentioned here it slipped to the front of your mind. 

Nevertheless....as noted,  it was pretty much exclusively and Akron thing because,   aren't you originally from like a Cleveland area suburb?  And you say you have never heard of it.      So, it was not a Cleveland thing, or Columbus or elsewhere.   (however, I do think that someone....here or elsewhere, like on Facebook, said they were from Toledo and that the term was used there some).

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Devil's Strip

We used the term devils strip here in Stark County(Canton/Massillon) as well!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Hahaha yeah

When I think of a lawyer I definitely think of something out there "solving problems" 

Yes....that is exactly what lawyers do. Or attempt to do.  

Though what you probably think is that lawyers also create problems for others.   Even that is not exactly true.  It is the Lawyers' clients that create the problems for others.  The lawyers are only the implements by which these clients seek redress or remedy of the problem they bring to the lawyers. 

When you obtain more life experience, you will understand this.  

I don't know what kind of engineering you may do, but I assume that you consider yourself a professional.  Would you expect to see any Joe Blow off the street to perform the professional tasks that you perform in your occupation?  I don't think so.

And would you want your fellow  civil/electrical/mechanical/whatever engineer  handling  your divorce for you?  Or to defend you from criminal allegations,  or professional malpractice allegations?    I don't think so. 

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

What’s the difference between a good lawyer and a bad lawyer?

Good lawyers are bad persons and bad lawyers are good persons. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Nero said:

Good lawyers are bad persons and bad lawyers are good persons. 

Nice!

Also:   A bad lawyer might let a case drag on for several years. A good lawyer knows how to make it last even longer.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Nope, see above, all perspective. 

Damn it, I expected more fireworks. Well played.

30 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

The job of a lawyer is to argue for their client. Even if their client isn't correct. They're trained to argue. Doesn't matter for what. 

They aren't solving problems.

Well that shows that you have about as much of a clue of what lawyers do as the person who says that the job of all  engineers is to drive a train. 

We are trained to advocate, but trust me, we know what we are advocating for.   And also trust me that the problems that exist that lawyers deal with DO get solved, be it that they are settled or decided, they ARE solved.    I do not have a single file in my 40 years that did not  result in a resolution.  And yet, even that is a small portion of what lawyers do.  There is far, far more counseling, advising  and negotiating that goes on than "arguing".  

15 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Resolution isn't solution

That is pure ignorance.  And just plain wrong.  When you resolve a dispute, you come to a solution.  At least on Planet Earth.

Advocating isn't problem solving

But it leads to solving problems.  Trust me.     

That is like saying that there is no math problem that can be solved by doing either addition, subtraction, multiplication or division.  

Maybe I was too kind to you when I laid off about you attending the school you did.  If you don't understand the basics of human nature, of conflict resolution...you must be living in some kind of a bubble. 

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm starting to think Woody is Gipper's son. 

No.   My son...who I think is not far off Woody's age,   has both more academic smarts  and common sense.  He understands that there are different disciplines, and that with  those different disciplines have different methods by which "problems" are solved. 

I mean, take a custody dispute.  He has no clue how such a thing would be resolved...or how to arrive at a solution to the differing positions that two parties may take over such a matter that does not involve advocacy and negotiation.    Maybe he has come up with some magic mathematical equation that resolves it.   If so....he needs to advise the Ohio Supreme Court. 

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

No.   My son...who I think is not far off Woody's age,   has both more academic smarts  and common sense.  

I bet the son of the man who taunts and  picks on guys the age of his son has more common sense that said man, too. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Nero said:

I bet the son of the man who taunts and  picks on guys the age of his son has more common sense that said man, too. 

I bet we all have more common sense than you do in our little fingers. Woody is a grown man he can take care of himself and if you actually saw what he said you would realize how far off from reality his conceptions are