THE BROWNS BOARD

2020 NFL Draft: Rounds 4-7

Dutch Oven

26 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

When was your last dive?

Oh, about a year after Vietnam. My daughter ended up a far better skydiver with over twice as many jumps as I ever had. She has my Jumpmaster's Wings which I gave her after she earned hers. I was tempted to make a jump with her when she was into it at A&M, but since I had hurt my back years ago I did not dare chance a really hard opening. Those can rattle your teeth if you have a perfect opening with all panels at once. I had one of those once with my altimeter fastened on the top of my front carried reserve chute. Ate that damn thing.😬

15 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ate that damn thing.😬

Damn... That'd dent the enamels...

Personally I'd prefer Laynes... or better yet Freebirds... :)

And why is it "jumps" and not "dives"? Paratroopers rule? If yes, then why is it not called "skyjumping"?

I mean you may jump out of a C-47, but you dive out of a Cessna... ;)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Damn... That'd dent the enamels...

Personally I'd prefer Laynes... or better yet Freebirds... :)

And why is it "jumps" and not "dives"? Paratroopers rule? If yes, then why is it not called "skyjumping"?

I mean you may jump out of a C-47, but you dive out of a Cessna... ;)

Oh those paratroopers are wimps who get to have the chute pulled out of their backpacks by a static line attached to the chute, therefore just a jump.

Now a true skydive for me was being last out in a string of 12 skydivers from a twin Beech, standing on my head to reach 200 mph to get to the lowest one forming the ring below, then flaring out to slow to their 120 mph speed without diving through or "crashing" the ring. Then you fly in slowly to part the arms of any pair and hang on as a new link in the ring. That there is a real skydive and not just a static line jump.

It's night and day when you look at the skill involved.😁

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It's night and day when you look at the skill involved.😁

Did you ever get to try one of those webbed, "glider suits"? Probably not what they are called, but you hopefully know to what I refer...

47 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Did you ever get to try one of those webbed, "glider suits"? Probably not what they are called, but you hopefully know to what I refer...

No those came later. And I can tell you in watching some of those fools do the canyon runs with those things, it's a foolish thing to do. You have no idea when you might run into a downdraft that sends you right into the canyon floor. I feel the same way about the low base jumps off bridges, etc. I saw too many main chute slow openings or "roman candles" that had to be cut away from to trust only one parachute to work perfectly every time. And too many times pushed off course by unexpected thermals in up, down or even sideways drafts while under an open chute.

Yup... lots of Go Pro footage out there. I believe there is still a pot of gold for the first guy to land one of those things... and live.

Ever have your primary fail you?

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Ever have your primary fail you?

Nope, but my daughter did. I knew she was cool under pressure though after I asked her what her first reaction was and I quote, "I was thinking well I finally get a reserve ride today." She was the same way as a kid of 10 when a horse got away from her and was headed for a barbed wire fence. She told me that she knew she had a runaway horse and remembered in that moment from her Black Stallion books that the way to turn one was to grab one side or the other of the reins with both hands and pull with everything you had. So that is exactly how she did it.