THE BROWNS BOARD

Jed Wills

tiamat63

We have all day to gush before round 2, might as well start now.

I honestly didn't think the Browns would commit to the process of taking a smooth operator and flipping him to the left side. I fully expected them to do something stupid like Becton or Wirfs.  However, Young Berry has won my confidence so far.  This was my 2nd favorite tackle behind Andrew Thomas and I'm glad this front office and coaching staff has decided early to go "all in" on the transition.  That is the type of way to handle your business.  Evaluate, formulate, decide and dedicate yourself to it.    

Side note, I can't help but feel that our own Joe Thomas has, and will continue to have, a VERY large say in Oline prospects.  Whether he is "officially" on payroll for this team or not makes little difference. He commands Berry's respect and has his ear.     I saved some time-stamps from when I watched Wills earlier this year.  Felt I could share them and hopefully we have a collective enjoyment on what should be a great player for the next 10 years.    Really to highlight the complete abilities we're going to be getting with a quality pick.   Kid really has the goods to be a swiss army knife.

@ 2:11.   The pull and trap on the 3tech.  Pulling from the backside tackle spot? That shit ain't easy.

@ 2:52 - Always "looking for work" on screen that looks initially like a split zone to invite the weakside edge in.     Jed see's the playside interior is accounted for and immediately works to the 2nd level.  His blocks allows for those extra yards to be had.    It's the little things that add up.

@ 7:25   Wins with first contact, maintains a reasonably sound base and literally puts his man down.

2nd video   Sorry @MLD Woody

21 seconds. 

short sets into the 3tech and then gets back in time to pick up the gap exchange on Josh Uche to make sure there is zero penetration.   Outstanding awareness.

@ 2:45  watch how fast Jed fires out of his stance and looks for his man at the 2nd level.   5 yards downfield and he's maybe a step behind the Bama #2 running a little hitch.                                                 That boy is country quick.

@ 4:35.   AWARENESS.   Knows his backside guard is pulling and see's the oncoming Uche.   He doesn't even bother with the chip on the front side edge, he picks off the incoming blitz (maybe a tiny hold but generally won't be called in that scrum) 

I'm good with this pick.  Actually, I'm great with this pick.  Wills is the best tackle to come through the Alabama program since Saban has been there.  And I mean that with zero exaggeration.  He is nasty, heavy striking and technically quite sound.    The Browns got the goods this time and for those of you who were looking to see some intelligent moves before lending Berry your "fanhood" again - please consider this...    Conklin, Hooper, Billings, Clayborne, and now Jed Wills.  An "Analytics" guy addressing this team where teams are forged - in the trenches.       I'm on board with this front office so far and I'm hoping you are as well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 4

Joe Thomas knows well what it takes - this is a great pick. I have no idea how hard? it is to flip to the left side, but Wills has been working on it all off season, says it's going pretty well.

He plays with awesome leverage and is very strong..and when he pulled to the left I was surprised. Oh, boy we'll have a real LT !

https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZTSB&pc=MOZI&q=wills+nfl+draft+interview

NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah mocked Wills to the Cardinals at No. 8, the second tackle off the board behind Tristan Wirfs at No. 4 to the Giants.

“Jedrick Wills is just a natural knee-bender who’s very explosive,’’ he said on a conference call. “He can get himself in bad positions and find ways to recover with his athleticism. I think he’s got left tackle ability. I think he can kick over there no problem, and he’s somebody in the run game that can uproot players. Again, just very explosive, very athletic player who I think he’s a top-10 pick in just about any year in my opinion.”

Mike Renner, draft analyst for the analytics site profootballfocus.com which is valued by the Browns, ranks Wills third behind Thomas and Wirfs, but praised him effusively.

“Wills allowed a pressure rate of 4.0% or less for the second straight year in pass protection, and he was dominant in the ground game,’’ Renner writes in the pff.com draft guide. “His run-blocking grade of 90.1 ranked sixth among FBS tackles last season.’’

He called Wills “one of the most explosive and agile offensive tackles you'll ever see. That's a winning combination at tackle in the NFL.

“The battle for the most impressive highlight reel of any offensive lineman in this class is a hotly contested one with Wills being right in the mix. He's got the physical tools to execute any block you could conceivably ask him to make. While his feet and hands are still catching up in terms of pass protection, Wills proved this past season that he's ready to run block in the NFL. His ability to crush a double team then take a linebacker for a ride is special for a college tackle prospect.’’

Joe Thomas has Wills ranked as his No. 2, slightly behind Becton.

“Overall, he's the guy who is the most NFL ready, and would clearly be the #1 guy if the ceiling for Becton wasn't so high,’’ Thomas tweeted this week. I see him as the most sure-fire offensive lineman in this draft. His movement skills and suddenness are impressive for a college player.’’

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

We have all day to gush before round 2, might as well start now.

I honestly didn't think the Browns would commit to the process of taking a smooth operator and flipping him to the left side. I fully expected them to do something stupid like Becton or Wirfs.  However, Young Berry has won my confidence so far.  This was my 2nd favorite tackle behind Andrew Thomas and I'm glad this front office and coaching staff has decided early to go "all in" on the transition.  That is the type of way to handle your business.  Evaluate, formulate, decide and dedicate yourself to it.    

Side note, I can't help but feel that our own Joe Thomas has, and will continue to have, a VERY large say in Oline prospects.  Whether he is "officially" on payroll for this team or not makes little difference. He commands Berry's respect and has his ear.     I saved some time-stamps from when I watched Wills earlier this year.  Felt I could share them and hopefully we have a collective enjoyment on what should be a great player for the next 10 years.    Really to highlight the complete abilities we're going to be getting with a quality pick.   Kid really has the goods to be a swiss army knife.

@ 2:11.   The pull and trap on the 3tech.  Pulling from the backside tackle spot? That shit ain't easy.

@ 2:52 - Always "looking for work" on screen that looks initially like a split zone to invite the weakside edge in.     Jed see's the playside interior is accounted for and immediately works to the 2nd level.  His blocks allows for those extra yards to be had.    It's the little things that add up.

@ 7:25   Wins with first contact, maintains a reasonably sound base and literally puts his man down.

2nd video   Sorry @MLD Woody

21 seconds. 

short sets into the 3tech and then gets back in time to pick up the gap exchange on Josh Uche to make sure there is zero penetration.   Outstanding awareness.

@ 2:45  watch how fast Jed fires out of his stance and looks for his man at the 2nd level.   5 yards downfield and he's maybe a step behind the Bama #2 running a little hitch.                                                 That boy is country quick.

@ 4:35.   AWARENESS.   Knows his backside guard is pulling and see's the oncoming Uche.   He doesn't even bother with the chip on the front side edge, he picks off the incoming blitz (maybe a tiny hold but generally won't be called in that scrum) 

I'm good with this pick.  Actually, I'm great with this pick.  Wills is the best tackle to come through the Alabama program since Saban has been there.  And I mean that with zero exaggeration.  He is nasty, heavy striking and technically quite sound.    The Browns got the goods this time and for those of you who were looking to see some intelligent moves before lending Berry your "fanhood" again - please consider this...    Conklin, Hooper, Billings, Clayborne, and now Jed Wills.  An "Analytics" guy addressing this team where teams are forged - in the trenches.       I'm on board with this front office so far and I'm hoping you are as well.  

Didn’t Joe have Becton as his top tackle? 

I've watched both those tapes on Wills..Great breakdown Tia..Berry never even blinked. No surprise here nor Gettleman got A.Thomas wrong..the football media did..

I didn't learn from the process early enough that Wills over Wirfs was my RT to replace Hubbard..I even thought, maybe we could pigeon toe Wirfs into a LT after G.Robinson went big Dope..Found out, Wills just had better tape in both spots than Wirfs even had at RT at times. Learned a lot from the Tia/Tour/Flug back & forth's and watched other games myself than bailed on Wirfs altogether...

My post bowl games rankings started with... Thomas, Becton, Wirfs, Wills, Jones...  

My last order knowing we needed ending up with a LT after Combine became.. Thomas, Wills, Jones, Becton than Wirfs..i could not split Wills from Jones by tape..by wingspan & no trade back risk in Wills won me over

what's great about this place? is the knowledge of skill positions & players you can learn, if ya just keep a open mind to looking from both sides of a opinion..  are all a perfect opinion? Nope! it's to hard of a gladiator sport for those..       

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Side note, I can't help but feel that our own Joe Thomas has, and will continue to have, a VERY large say in Oline prospects. 

Thomas liked Becton more.  They didn't listen to him.

1 minute ago, Orion said:

Thomas liked Becton more.  They didn't listen to him.

- JT didn't like Becton by THAT much more.   Ultimately there is still a consensus that needs to be reached.   Jed was that consensus.

- Wills was JT's #2 tackle and Wirfs was still on the board, so that would mean Joe was consulted early and often about the switch to left.  Despite Wirfs grading with the higher "athletic profile" from multiple places.    

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

I've watched both those tapes on Wills..Great breakdown Tia..Berry never even blinked. No surprise here nor Gettleman got A.Thomas wrong..the football media did..

I didn't learn from the process early enough that Wills over Wirfs was my RT to replace Hubbard..I even thought, maybe we could pigeon toe Wirfs into a LT after G.Robinson went big Dope..Found out, Wills just had better tape in both spots than Wirfs even had at RT at times. Learned a lot from the Tia/Tour back & forth's and watched other games myself than bailed on Wirfs altogether...

My post bowl games rankings started with... Thomas, Becton, Wirfs, Wills, Jones...  

My last order knowing we needed ending up with a LT after Combine became.. Thomas, Wills, Jones, Becton than Wirfs..i could not split Wills from Jones by tape..by wingspan & no trade back risk in Wills won me over

what's great about this place? is the knowledge of skill positions & players you can learn, if ya just keep a open mind to looking from both sides of a opinion..  are all a perfect opinion? Nope! it's to hard of a gladiator sport for those..       

Appreciate the nod.  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

The Ballad of  Jed..........there has to be some way to adapt the lyrics:

He doesn’t have a name with the best pun possibilities, but in pass protection we could go with Jed Clamdown, locking down his side of the line from the edge rushers.

And in run blocking, all the ‘backs know where there’s a Wills, there’s a way through the hole.

• Haha 1

Here is a lame attempt.  We have songwriter types on here...you all should be able to do better. 

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed
Poor Kentucky boy barely kept his family fed
Then one day he was pushin' on a line
And up in the draft come a bubbling Crew.
(Cleveland Browns  that is....the F in Football)
Well the first thing you know old Jed's a millionaire
Kin folk said Jed move away from there
Said Cuyahoga is the place you oughta be
So they loaded up the truck and they moved to Berea. 
(Lou Groza Blvd. that is.  Hall of Famers.  Football stars)
Well now it's time to say goodbye to Jed and all his kin
They would like to thank you folks for kindly dropping in
You're all invited back again to this locality
To have a heaping helping of their hospitality
( Unless you are an AFCN Opponent.. 
 Y'all come back now, ya hear?)
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BaconHound said:

It does seem like there are some questions as to his ability to play LT in the NFL but I’ll defer to yours and Tour’s opinion on his transition

Surprises me people still think LT or RT is a thing, in any case he was only the RT because it was Tua's blindside.

A non issue

10 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Surprises me people still think LT or RT is a thing, in any case he was only the RT because it was Tua's blindside.

A non issue

Well, maybe, hopefully.   But, as someone described it,   playing LT if you are used to playing RT is like wiping your butt with your left hand if you are right handed...and vice versa.

You're all going to try that now, aren't you!

:lol:

30 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

A non issue

There are some who think he may have mental lapses where his effort isn’t always there and that can be dangerous if he is lined up vs the opposing team’s top rusher.  Baker doesn’t seem thrive when he feels the heat.  But I really have no clue.  The games I watched I was more paying attention to the offense scoring than the nuances of the line.  I’m hoping he is the anchor on the left and Conklin holds down the right.  Last season Baker was subpar and I thought a lot had to do with OL play

On Joe T.... is there ever anybody he doesn't like?

I know he cheer leads, even borderline champions, anyone we stick at LT (List includes Bito and Shon Coleman, and IIRC even Cam... 😮 ), but that can be attributed to boosting confidence in one of "our guys".

Moreover, at least publicly I've never heard him say a bad thing about any prospect... then again I did not read much about his takes on any of the prospects this season.

So if he's working with our FO on any basis... be it paid, part-time volunteer, or whatever... while in the employ of NFL Network, then that strikes me a conflict of interest-ish stuff. Maybe he does offer "behind the scenes" insights that differ from any public comment, but that doesn't strike me as "being Joe."

Now his offers to work with Wills on the swap to LT? Genuine, to be sure, but how valuable? Can't see much there if he helicopters in once a week or critiques practice tape... I'd honestly rather put him in Callahan's hands full-time.

Just my contrarian $0.02...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

There are some who think he may have mental lapses where his effort isn’t always there...

Consistency and game preparation, e.g., tape breakdown of opponents, game focus... stuff over and above the OL film sessions with Callahan and staff... now that is something I can see Joe aiding in.

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

On Joe T.... is there ever anybody he doesn't like?

I know he cheer leads, even borderline champions, anyone we stick at LT (List includes Bito and Shon Coleman, and IIRC even Cam... 😮 ), but that can be attributed to boosting confidence in one of "our guys".

Moreover, at least publicly I've never heard him say a bad thing about any prospect... then again I did not read much about his takes on any of the prospects this season.

So if he's working with our FO on any basis... be it paid, part-time volunteer, or whatever... while in the employ of NFL Network, then that strikes me a conflict of interest-ish stuff. Maybe he does offer "behind the scenes" insights that differ from any public comment, but that doesn't strike me as "being Joe."

Now his offers to work with Wills on the swap to LT? Genuine, to be sure, but how valuable? Can't see much there if he helicopters in once a week or critiques practice tape... I'd honestly rather put him in Callahan's hands full-time.

Just my contrarian $0.02...

If you are pissing on JT, then your opinion ain't worth that. 

I will eat some cabbage and pay you a few of my farts for it though.

Firstly, he looks eerily simliar to Joel Bitonio. 

Much more importantly, as as been indicated he really played RT as he was protecting Tua's blind side. Seemed obvious in retrospect, but I'm confident the man can slide to LT with ease. I agree that I liked Andrew Thomas a little bit more, but I think Jed is a day one, anchor starter at tackle. So glad we didn't blink, exactly what the Browns needed.

While I wished we had a shot at Simmons I can't really knock the pick...Now lets shore up so we can stop the fucking run!..

Nice look at our draftee. One thing I rarely see in an OL is vision. I like how he has the vision to see beyond the man he is blocking and is very quick to switch to another further upfield. You see it time and time again in these videos. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Analyzing-Jedrick-Wills-fit-in-the-Browns-new-offense-146417540/?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=200424_122914_ClevelandBrowns&utm_content=Image

36 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I like how he has the vision to see beyond the man he is blocking

Big point Brett whatshisbame (Kolmann?) on youtube made in his Wills vs. Wirfs tape.

Joe Thomas explains why Browns made a 'home run' selection with Jedrick Wills Jr.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/joe-thomas-explains-why-browns-made-a-home-run-selection-with-jedrick-wills-jr?fbclid=IwAR2nzZJktDE57A7yjNFmtMsYhWRMWVvy4OMlFj9Y20HFhSHA2XYIqL96yV4

Joe Thomas didn't hold back his feelings for Jedrick Wills Jr.

The Browns selected Wills with the 10th overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft to bolster the left side of their offensive line, and Thomas, an 11-year Browns veteran and 10-time Pro Bowler, gave Wills his highest praise.

"There will not be any sleeping for me tonight because I'm so excited by this pick," Thomas emphatically said in a radio interview with the Cleveland Browns Radio Network. "When I watch him on film, there is nothing he can't do. All these other guys who were the top tackles had big question marks, in my opinion. This guy? No question marks. Browns home run."

Thomas, who is one of the top left tackles in NFL history, isn't just saying that to rile up Browns supporters, either. He said Browns fans have been messaging him on Twitter about the offensive tackles in the draft for the last couple weeks, and Thomas wanted to give them an informed response about who he'd have at the top of his list.

So, he watched game film on the top four tackle prospects. Andrew Thomas, Tristan Wirfs, Mekhi Becton and Wills were all likely to be pegged early in the first round and highlight one of the best offensive tackle classes in recent memory. When Joe Thomas finished his work, however, Wills stood out.

"There is nothing that when you watch him on tape makes you go, 'Well, I don't know. He's going to have to get better at this,'" Thomas said. "Does this man move like an All-Pro in the NFL? Will the footwork skills, technique, quickness, balance, change of direction and recovery skills that he possesses in his body be able to hold up to the Von Millers and JJ Watts? I went back, and there was only one guy that stood out. He just popped off your screen. The technique he was using. The dominance. The finish. The change in direction. The explosion that he had. The way he could bend his ankles, knees and hips and create force and power. When guys tried to bull rush him, he was firm and stout. 

"There was only one guy that looked like that, and that was Jedrick Wills."

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Vambo said:

... Thomas wanted to give them an informed response about who he'd have at the top of his list.

So, he watched game film on the top four tackle prospects.

So much for Joe having major input into Wills selection...

On 4/24/2020 at 7:26 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Fascinating. 

My Mama calls me Jedrick Wills jr.. At 1st glance, I'd remind you of a 18 wheeler truck driver at your local Truck Stop .. Luke Colms playing in the CD player..But my Mama led me to playing AlaBama Football while she rolled more than tides... Cleveland..Your Welcome!!  (fan rookie hazing..all in fun)

On 4/24/2020 at 11:48 AM, The Gipper said:

Well, maybe, hopefully.   But, as someone described it,   playing LT if you are used to playing RT is like wiping your butt with your left hand if you are right handed...and vice versa.

You're all going to try that now, aren't you!

:lol:

muscle memory is all

he should be fine at LT