THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft rounds 2 and 3

darren15

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

London, I'm certain that you posted interesting stuff...but I can't read a word of it....it's waaayyy too small.

I know - if you click on it, it will get ...near...full screen.... still it would be easier if I went and got my reading glasses....

39 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

it's going to be fascinating? to see how it plays out. Off hand, Harrison seems to be the better pick. It is easy to find profiles that rip Phillips. "not every down player", "lacking demeanor", "tight in hips" but "sure tackler, wraps up"....

but these Browns wouldn't have done it if they didn't know better. I guess reality is in the eye of the beholder?

Here is one write up that tells a different story -

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/lsu-lb-jacob-phillips-is-the-complete-package

"Conversely, a “complete package” player has all of the tools on and off the field that you look for at their position. One of those players in the 2020 NFL draft class? LSU junior linebacker Jacob Phillips.

At 6’4, 235 pounds, Phillips has excellent size and length. As a run defender, he uses his physical gifts to his advantage extremely well. His combination of length and play strength allows him to have more control at the point of attack, get off blocks quicker, and have a wider tackling radius — all of which you see Phillips do consistently.

As you may already know, cover skills and the ability to move in space are of high importance at the linebacker position in today’s NFL. This is a great example of two things with Phillips: 1) His range in coverage; 2) His 6’4 length, going back to my previous point. Having this kind of athleticism and length in coverage can make a linebacker extremely disruptive at the catch point, and in turn, extremely valuable to a defense. Phillips’ athleticism and cover skills allow for him to be an asset on all three downs."

then, there's Malik:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/malik-harrison/jwjnJK4KyJ

worst trait - "man coverage ability" ....

Yep - I think the Browns knew better after all - we just have to look deeper into it. The Browns know more than we do, eh?

at least, THESE Browns.

And let me add one thing to that concerning this LSU team defense as a whole. We have a long history of playing LSU well prior to joining the SEC, so I am very familiar with them going all the way back to the Chinese Bandits of the 1950's. I had said even before they won the SEC Championship that this was the greatest LSU defense that I had ever seen. They consistently diagnosed what other teams were trying to do and then smothered them. And one of the major ways they did it was to take a lot of chances based on what they were seeing and then covering for any individual mistakes with their overall team speed and their 11 men flying to the football until the play was dead. And two of those guys are used to the way each other plays, so that makes me happy to have them both. There is something special about a team chemistry like that and I think the pair bring that to the Browns' table. It's just what we need.

Not unhappy with the Phillips pick.  I just think Malik Harrison is going to be special.  Of course he had to go to the Ravens. 

I like our first four. 

I might snag a WR in the fourth there is some unusual talent that has lasted into the 3rd day.  It kind of sums of this draft class. Not a lot of elite guys but some good depth. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

It seems like everyone likes Elliot better than the guys at ESPN (mind you, they didn't hate the pick, but felt he is an example of potential over production) which makes me a little more optimistic about the selection, but... Elliot shows he has good hands & arm technique..Needs a quicker motor getting off the LOS to make them a weapon.. am just still piss'd, Hammy & or N.Gallimore were had'able. reading a rotational DT was a Berry need? maybe both did not fit that role after interviewed?

Phillips over Harrison is a real head scratcher. Not thrilled with that. Nor I..Feels more like a stop the run LB won out over what Harrison showed in run game..Mack Wilson now becomes the coverage LB he was drafted to be..missing only 3 tackles out of 88 sounds like a guy we need in the box to stop the run with..I just thought Harrison had more tackles 2 yard down field stops vs Phillips 4-5 yards. am still checking on that one.. 

Did WR Cephus from Wisconsin get taken yet? Still there...run your card to Rogers basement & want that M&M jar full on return as a reward...

am also seriously hunting down our SEC scouts names verse our Big 10 scouts names...any help in these names? get's rewarded with 1!! of Roger's M&M's.. I got Gip drawing up some "your fired" legal documents..🤓 Price pending

• Upvote 1

I like the guys from Fantasy Pros...pretty reasonable with their evaluations and unbiased. Of course, they have their favorites and they did like the MH over phillips. However, one interesting thing they said was that this is a projection pick. If Phillips would have stayed one more year as advised and learned pass coverage a little better, he's a for sure 1st rounder. He won't get on the field a ton this year, but next year, he could be really good. They graded the pick as a B.

I would hold true to that evaluation. Even Berry has admitted that not all draft picks and rookies are great when they enter the league and they are not going to draft based on them helping this year. The theme of this draft is clearly potential. They are drafting for the future and not necessarily for immediate production. I can't say one is right or wrong but it's pretty obvious they are playing for upside.

Honestly, solid draft. I would say they are drafting in the top portion of the league. Unfortunately, I love what the Ravens and Bengals are doing as well. At least they aren't packers draft!!

3 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

I like the guys from Fantasy Pros...pretty reasonable with their evaluations and unbiased. Of course, they have their favorites and they did like the MH over phillips. However, one interesting thing they said was that this is a projection pick. If Phillips would have stayed one more year as advised and learned pass coverage a little better, he's a for sure 1st rounder. He won't get on the field a ton this year, but next year, he could be really good. They graded the pick as a B.

I would hold true to that evaluation. Even Berry has admitted that not all draft picks and rookies are great when they enter the league and they are not going to draft based on them helping this year. The theme of this draft is clearly potential. They are drafting for the future and not necessarily for immediate production. I can't say one is right or wrong but it's pretty obvious they are playing for upside.

Honestly, solid draft. I would say they are drafting in the top portion of the league. Unfortunately, I love what the Ravens and Bengals are doing as well. At least they aren't packers draft!!

But....we need that production this year.   I don't think that the Browns should be considering "Red-shirting"  any of the players they take in the first 3 rounds.   Rounds 5,6,7....maybe.  But not these early rounds.   Not when we could seriously need players at some of these positions to contribute right away.....especially at LB

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

If Phillips would have stayed one more year as advised and learned pass coverage a little better, he's a for sure 1st rounder. He won't get on the field a ton this year, but next year, he could be really good.

To be clear, I'm not used to having to wait all the way to our 3rd round compensatory to find the first "WTF" pick..

Harrison was recruited to OSU as an athlete/wide receiver.. His athleticism is obviously miles ahead of nearly every LB.  And he's 20 pounds heavier than Phillips.  Yes, Phillips has straight-line speed -- but Harrison had the quickest LB 3-cone at the combine [and only one DL beat him].

If we're going to draft someone who has to get better at a task requiring athleticism.. I don't understand [and can't support] picking the guy who's less athletic. Phillips needs to get better at pass coverage which obviously requires tools he may not physically possess.. and Harrison needs to get better at.. what, exactly?

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

What gets me about Phillips over Harrison isn't so much the local connection.   I see one who, when playing ILB, generated a ton of TFL's.  

The other?  Not so much.

I think he got action redirected to him Hamilton and Chase Young did their part.  Still a credit to him he was very instinctive.  Hamilton is gonna shine as will Harrison we will look back in 3-4 years and say how in the world did OSU not win a National Championship in 19!!!

To me the huge difference Harrison is elite in coverage.  That’s what I don’t see in Phillips at all.  He might be below average there too.  The way the game is trending backers have to be just as good if not better in that facet. 

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I know - if you click on it, it will get ...near...full screen.... still it would be easier if I went and got my reading glasses....

It doesn’t get any larger for me if I click on it.  It just gets its own screen.

"... so many of these players have been unable to have been scouted."

Awkward grammar aside... I could have sworn there was a 2019 FBS season.

4 hours ago, Orion said:

London, I'm certain that you posted interesting stuff...but I can't read a word of it....it's waaayyy too small.

"Ctrl +"... :)

20 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

"... so many of these players have been unable to have been scouted."

Awkward grammar aside... I could have sworn there was a 2019 FBS season.

The unofficial official NFL unpaid minor leagues.  Good training ground and judge of talent like how many P5 4 and 5 star players make it to an NFL roster.

I love college football, always have.....but now it is really semipro football.