THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Grades

darren15

Been reading some this morning ... The Browns got grades varying from A to B-

Some teams got a D
Raiders, Packers

Cowboys got a C from one graderĀ for drafting Lamb instead of a defensive back or edge rusher

4 hours ago, darren15 said:

Some teams got a D
Raiders, Packers

Cowboys got a C from one graderĀ for drafting Lamb instead of a defensive back or edge rusher

Raiders take Ruggs purely because of his 50 time, the CB is a plus 4.5 guy - very curious to take a nickle back in the 1st round.Ā 

Packers took QB of the future; it worked out well when they did so with Rogers, time will tell. If Love turns into Mahomes, who will laugh then?

Cowboys took a true star WR. Maybe they wish they didn't blow a wad on Cooper now. A true dominant edge rusher wasn't there. And, they have a few retreads on board they are hoping will turn out - the guy from SF who was dominant and is now clean. They can get a CB later. I'm not so sure taking Lamb was a mistake. When you can get a true playmaker you take them, period.Ā 

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Honestly.....grading a draft now is a completely useless proposition.

Absolutely i remember hearing how well we did when we got the next great NFL back and the most NFL ready QB in the first round. Ā 
Ā 

most of usĀ still have the draft scars to prove itĀ 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, darren15 said:

Some teams got a D
Raiders, Packers

I have no problem with Packers pick. Ā Someone on here made a great point about Rodgers contract in 2021 HUGE cap number. Ā Heā€™s 36 too. Ā There are plenty of WRs and weapons to be had later in the draftĀ 

38 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Absolutely i remember hearing how well we did when we got the next great NFL back and the most NFL ready QB in the first round. Ā 
Ā 

most of usĀ still have the draft scars to prove itĀ 

I assume you mean 2012 with Ā TR and Weeden.Ā 

• Upvote 1

And the grade of all grades is in..

NFL obliterates old TV ratings record for draft, with 37 percent increase from last year

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-obliterates-old-tv-ratings-record-for-draft-with-37-percent-increase-from-last-year/ar-BB139G9d?ocid=spartandhp

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

And the grade of all grades is in..

NFL obliterates old TV ratings record for draft, with 37 percent increase from last year

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-obliterates-old-tv-ratings-record-for-draft-with-37-percent-increase-from-last-year/ar-BB139G9d?ocid=spartandhp

Everyone is home and most don't have to work the following day after the NFL stretches 32 picks to four damn hours. Lol

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But...that is down from like 5 hours, which has been normal. Ā 

The first round? I donā€™t think itā€™s ever run that long. They milked the shit out of it yesterday.

6 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Everyone is home and most don't have to work the following day after the NFL stretches 32 picks to four damn hours. Lol

Uh oh...I just liked a Steeler Fan's post. What the hell lol

Draft grades are only for the here and now. Something to talk about. They are based on filling needs and quality of player. Grades do not project or reflect the teams success. It can take years to know how good or bad a draft was.

That said,Ā according to nfl.com straight A's across the board for the AFCN.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111377/article/2020-nfl-draft-day-2-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Ā 

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Draft grades are only for the here and now. Something to talk about. They are based on filling needs and quality of player. Grades do not project or reflect the teams success. It can take years to know how good or bad a draft was.

That said,Ā according to nfl.com straight A's across the board for the AFCN.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111377/article/2020-nfl-draft-day-2-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Ā 

If it is about filling needs....then the Browns did that so far, to a certain extent. Ā  Needed LT...got one. Ā Needed safety...got one. Ā Needed LB...got one. Ā Needed some DL depth...got some.

The only question is: Ā did we pick the right ones? Ā  Will Wills be better than Wirfs? Ā  Will Delpit be better than Winfield? Ā Will Phillips be better than Harrison? Ā Will Elliot be better than...whoever? Ā Only time will tell on these....and on what grade this draft will really become.Ā 

Will Wills turn out close to Joe Thomas....or be Austin Corbett/Cam Erving like? Ā  Ā Will Delpit be Eric Turner-ish....or Justin Gilbert-ish? Ā Will Phillips be Mike Singletary....or Mike Junkin?Ā 

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

If it is about filling needs....then the Browns did that so far, to a certain extent. Ā  Needed LT...got one. Ā Needed safety...got one. Ā Needed LB...got one. Ā Needed some DL depth...got some.

The only question is: Ā did we pick the right ones? Ā  Will Wills be better than Wirfs? Ā  Will Delpit be better than Winfield? Ā Will Phillips be better than Harrison? Ā Will Elliot be better than...whoever? Ā Only time will tell on these....and on what grade this draft will really become.Ā 

Will Wills turn out close to Joe Thomas....or be Austin Corbett/Cam Erving like? Ā  Ā Will Delpit be Eric Turner-ish....or Justin Gilbert-ish? Ā Will Phillips be Mike Singletary....or Mike Junkin?Ā 

Yep.Ā You elaboratedĀ on what I was saying. Teams are graded on how they filled needs, not how the draftsĀ pan out because no one knows.

Browns get an A no doubt.

So when some say "it's to early" to give grades. It really not. They need to put it into perspective.

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Honestly.....grading a draft now is a completely useless proposition.

Isn't that what mock drafts, draft projections, the draft itself and chat rooms like this one areĀ basicallyĀ all about ?

Grades, opinions, chat unless you think they are completely useless too, eh ?Ā  Ā ;)

......think about that before you comment.Ā  Ā  Hmmmm maybe every sports network is also completely useless, theyĀ allĀ put out draft grades.Ā  Ā :lol:

Edited by mjp28

6 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Isn't that what mock drafts, draft projections, the draft itself and chat rooms like this one areĀ basicallyĀ all about ?

Grades, opinions, chat unless you think they are completely useless too, eh ?Ā  Ā ;)

......think about that before you comment.Ā  Ā  Hmmmm maybe every sports network is also completely useless, theyĀ allĀ put out draft grades.Ā  Ā :lol:

No. Ā You are wrong. Ā At least partially. Ā Yes, Ā doing a mock...beyond its primary purpose being to entertain, is a projection. Ā  And certainly the draft itself is a projection made by the teams based on how good they think these players will be. Ā But giving that projection a grade before these players have put pencil to paper?

I don't know.....In my college and law school career I would have liked to have just "projected" what my grades would have been on my tests. Ā Then I would have liked to have Ā that grade assessed to me, and therefore I would not have had to take the test. Ā  Somehow my professors...nor the Dean of the school ...did not see it that way.

These players have to take their test...and however they perform....then we can grade it. Ā That test consists of about 3 years playing in this league.Ā 

there is absolutelyĀ nothing here to base a grade on when a bunch of college players have never laced up in the NFL.. 6-8 weeks gameday's in? yeah, we can talk..see ya than...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

there is absolutelyĀ nothing here to base a grade on when a bunch of college players have never laced up in the NFL.. 6-8 weeks gameday's in? yeah, we can talk..see ya than...

That's why besides all of the time and money that every one of the 32 NFL teams pour into it it is still one of the biggest crap shoots in sports.

But they still do it because hits can be nice and misses can be disastrous......just ask the 1999 through 2017 Cleveland BROWNS.

But it's so much fun to do and forget about in week 10.

FFS...

It's not a matter of "knowing". I can grade any time I want to... and so can anyone here.

Grades at this point are not simply based on whether "a need" was filled, but on how well it was filled.... not just based upon looking at the player taken, but on that player vs. other prospects playing the same position.

That's the basis... for now.

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

FFS...

It's not a matter of "knowing". I can grade any time I want to... and so can anyone here.

Grades at this point are not simply based on whether "a need" was filled, but on how well it was filled.... not just based upon looking at the player taken, but on that player vs. other prospects playing the same position.

That's the basis... for now.

But maybe we should ask Attorney Google first.....I heard he's some unelected part time night court judge in Farmville Ohio so he would know.Ā  (just kidding.Ā ;))

Now back football grading !

wizard-of-oz_curtain.jpg

57 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

But maybe we should ask Attorney Google first.....I heard he's some unelected part time night court judge in Farmville Ohio so he would know.Ā  (just kidding.Ā ;))

Now back football grading !

wizard-of-oz_curtain.jpg

And what are you? Ā  Ā A nobody doing nothing. Ā 

You have your fucking stupid opinions about stupid shit. Ā  I have mine...that I base on rationality.

"Grading a draft" Ā at this point is nothing other than a basis for having some entertainment. Ā Which I guess is fine. It is still useless in the long run.

At least I did try to do a Grade, Ā 3-5 years down the line of past drafts. Ā  What have you done here besides talking about feeding Ā your face.Ā 

• Haha 1

My early take... plan to spend some time with tape to see what revisions are needed...

1.10 - OT Jedrick Wills.... A ... solid pick, while there were other OTs with better skills in one area or another that I liked a shade better, Wills was at least my #2 in every area.

2.44 - S Grant Delpit ....... C+ . I don't like players with "ifs" on Day 2. There were other Safeties that were "if-less" in my book, Chinn/Davis, that could have been had later.

3.88 - IDL Jordan Elliott... C... ditto the above... except the remaining IDL value that I saw was even lower in the draft, but if his tech develops, then?

3.97 - LB Jacob Phillips... B- ... if he can cover, then maybe he can be as good as Schobert? I admit it, I wanted Harrison because I see more thump in him.

4-115-TE Harrison Bryant D ... no if here... I just don't get adding another one-dimensional TE. Plus has short-arms and not very agile... not Devalve-like as a receiver.

5-160 - C Nick Harris ....... B+ . nice scheme fit, very nice get-off... just has to get stronger... which is not an if.

6-187-WR Peoples-Jones..B- .. great Combine... if UM issues were due to QB play could approach "steal" status and in the 6th an if is OK...

Overall: B-... with UDFAs call it a B

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Wills ...... A ....best tackle in the draft...... Athleticism is off the chart, has the best O line coach in football to set him up for success at LT and also has a certain hall of famer for guidance.

Delpit ...... A ....... best safety in the draft ..Thorpe award winner... Tackling issues can be corrected and we have a really good DC for that ....was regarded as top 15 pick at the end of 2018 and played for mostĀ of 2019 with a high ankle sprain. ....during the play offs and championship game he did not miss a tackleĀ 

Elliott .... A ....... Pff had him in top 25 on their big board .....Steal of the draft ..... huge upside

Phillips .... B- .... Good run blocker, sucks in coverage ...... has a high motor but needs to improve in coverage or will get torched ...

Bryant ... A- ..... Plays like an over sized receiver and was the best TE in football in 2019 .... needs to bulk up a little for blocking duties, but wont see much of the field on running plays.

Harris ... B .... Flexibility means he can slot in at guard too ...undersized but has great technique ....team captain at WashingtonĀ 

Peoples Jones .... B+ ...... Some Browns fans on Twitter were upset we did not grab him in the 4th round and were horrified when we did not in the 5th ... vertical leap off the chart at the combine 44.5

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, d15... detail I was asking for in the other thread.

Ā 

Not surprisingly PFF graded our draft as one of the top 4 in the league with DAL, DNV and AZ.

image.png.b2f2228c6582facb8f9f5159f978d5c1.png

1 hour ago, darren15 said:

Phillips .... B- .... Good run blocker, sucks in coverage ...... has a high motor but needs to improve in coverage or will get torched ...

I'd drop more of a C on this because the most athletic [read: Best in coverage] LB in the draft was still on the board and went next to BAL.

Phillips is simply not athletic enough to "improve" in coverage.Ā  He has straight-line speed, sure, but the lack of athleticism also affects him when blitzing because there's many vids of him losing contain to a "non-mobile" QB because he is physically unable toĀ change direction to adjust for a spin

Ā 

To be clear, I'm really happy that for the first time in a while the remotely questionable picks don't existĀ until the end of the 3rd.. But this is a swing and a miss.